- Text Size +
Wendy lowered the knife, staring down at Darius in disbelief, "B-But you...I watched you"

"It was an illusion" Brooke said, nodding her head towards the chair.

"I wouldn't call it an illusion" Darius grumbled, watching as Wendy sat down in the chair across from Brooke, eyes still widely staring down at him.

"Then what would it be?"

"It was called you actually eating me!"

"I let you out" She shook her head, "So, who is this girl?"

"This is Wendy, don't you remember her face? The girl who brought in the fruits?"

"Oh, you know she does look familiar" She shook her head, "But no matter, why exactly were you helping this idiot?"

"He's not an idiot!" She nearly screamed.

Brooke recoiled a bit, glaring down at Darius, "Please tell me you have not played with this poor girls heart, for gods sake she couldn't be more than-"

"No, he did not!" Wendy blurted, defending him once again.

"Wendy, please" Darius said raising his hand, "I will explain" He took a deep breath and explained how he had made his way into the castle, even telling how he had been discovered by Sarah. He was interrupted by Brooke's laughter.

"Please tell me you didn't really tell her you were a Fairy!" She buried her head in her hands.

Darius let her calm down, "Look I didn't know what else to do, either way she bought it and-"

"Sarah asked him to fulfill a wish!" Wendy giggled.

"Oh my god!" Brooke laughed again, "So what was this wish?"

"That's not important"

"She asked him to make love to her!" Wendy cried out, joining in the laughter.

"No! Darius you didn't!" Brooke laughed even harder, "You certainly have a way of taking advantage of innocent girls"

"What is that supposed to mean? And how is that taking advantage? I was terrified of what might become of me if I denied a princess, and besides she was not a girl she was a woman"

"By hardly even a year!" Brooke took a deep breath, wiping her eye, "Alright so how does Wendy here fit in"

"Well, if you would let me explain without interruption" He continued, "So Sarah carried me to the window, still under the impression that I was a fairy"

"Jerk" Brooke said with a grin.

"He's not a-"

"Wendy, please" Darius sighed, "So like I saying, she carried me to the window. I found that I could easily make my way around the castle wall, and decided to try and find the one that would lead me to the king-"

"And then it started raining and he almost died!" Wendy blurted, then covered her face, "Sorry"

"Right, so as Wendy so kindly summed up, I got stuck out there. Until the old maid Elizabeth opened the window and found me there, luckily she was rather supportive of my cause. Though Wendy was perhaps a little more supportive"

"And so she carried you in on the fruit platter and well, we all know the rest, the king is poisoned and Wendy here thought I ate you and now here we are" Brooke said leaning back into her chair.

Wendy started crying.

"Whats wrong?" Brooke asked, glancing at Darius for a moment.

"I-I-I-" She sobbed, "I never said goodbye to Elizabeth or Sarah" She wiped her eyes, "I will never see them again will I?"

"Can you not return?" Brooke questioned, "They have no reason to suspect you of anything"

"She would be wise to hide now though, someone may have noticed her fleeing the castle" Darius remarked, "And you should hope to see them again"

"You think?" She said, seeming to find comfort in his words.

"I don't see why not"

Brooke rose to her feet, "Wendy you should rest on it, you may use my bed" she held the girls hand and escorted her into her room. She returned and sat down before Darius again with a sigh.

"Well here we are again" He mumbled, "So why exactly did you storm away that night? I mean other than the obvious"

Brooke sighed, "I wasn't mad at you for that"

"Then what? We seemed to be reconnecting?"

"You really don't know?"

"Not a clue"

"Remember, you were talking about those three months you visited, and how happy those times were?"

"You got angry at me for bringing up good memories?"

"Not all of them were good, Darius"

"What then? Honestly?"

"You are really going to make me spell this out for you?" Darius stared at her blankly, she sighed, "I know what you and Nika did"

"Oh...I don't see why-"

"Come on Darius! How did you not know?"

"Know what?"

"That...That I had fallen for you. Darius you broke my heart"

"Brooke, I didn't..."

"I thought you had fallen for me too, but I guess you were just toying with me, perhaps the same way you toyed with the princess, and even that poor girl in there" She said nodding her head behind her.

"I wasn't toying with you Brooke. And I did not toy with Wendy, I have at least enough dignity to not go running around with young girls"

"Then what? You mean to tell me you didn't think that I wanted you? All those days we spent together?"

"I didn't want to hurt you, alright" He finally blurted, "I guess it was foolish but I didn't want us to be, well you know, when I was still leading this way of life"

"Well you did"

"I'm sorry, alright? And Nika meant nothing to me, and I meant nothing to her. She just wanted to have a fling, just some fun since we both knew we would be parting ways soon anyway" He sighed, "So, I assume all of those feelings went out the window?"

She nodded, "Years ago"

"Probably for the best. Look can we at least go back to being on good terms?"

She smiled, "I guess"

"Well that's good, now if you don't mind me asking, what were you doing in there?"

"I'm not proud of it..." Brooke began looking away, "The day after you left two royal guards arrived at my home, I was still furious at you so I guess that helped in my decision when they asked me the Kingdom required my services. They gave me a set of prisoners cuffs and told me they wanted an enchantment that would make the prisoners more manageable. Clearly I could think of only one enchantment at the time"

"They shrink people?"

Brooke nodded, "A few days later the Queen arrived herself to accept my enchanted cuffs, and then I was summoned to meet with the king"

"So what now?"

Brooke sighed, "I don't know, you certainly have made a mess of things. What do you want to do?"

"Other than fix this damn necklace, I really don't know"

"Well, it's a long shot but perhaps Nika can fix it"

"Is she in the area?"

"It is a few days walk"

"Well at this point I will make the treck on my own if I had too, I can't live like this?"

"Aww, but I like you this way"

"I'm sure you do" Darius laughed.

"But no, I will take you there. It has been over a year since I have seen her so I am due for a visit. What about Wendy?"

"I don't know, that is a whole other bag of issues. If we were feeling generous we could go get Elizabeth and Sarah-"

"Why Sarah?"

Darius sighed, "Well my undoing of King jared has left an equally power hungry queen in charge. The Princess is practically a prisoner in that castle. Her true wish was to be set free"

Brooke snorted, "Alright Mr. Fairy" She leaned her forehead down on the table, "So what first?"