- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I only thought of this today. So i haven't had that long to think about it, but i liked the idea so i wrote it anyway

William’s family had always been poor. His great grandfather had robbed a gypsy with a dagger, and as he ran with her rather large bag of gold she cursed him and shouted that his bloodline would never see that amount of money ever again. It had held true, no one in his family since then had ever accomplished much with their lives. They mostly ended up as thieves, but William was determined to defy the curse that plagued his family.
Roughly a year ago he came across a wagon with a broken wheel. The people who owned it looked quite wealthy, but he couldn’t bring himself around to rob them. Instead he offered his help in fixing the wheel. In gratitude for his help they gave him a finely made mandolin as a reward.
“I don’t know how to play” he explained, hoping for a different reward.
“Then sell it. It’s well made, it should fetch quite a price”.
They thanked him again, and continued down the path.
William was wrong though. Turns out he has quite a talent for playing the mandolin. This was his chance; he wouldn’t give in to a life of crime like others before him. He would use this to become a famous musician, and he would become rich in the process. For days he sat in the forest practicing and perfecting his new art.

He walked into the centre of town, ready to make his fortune. He was nervous though, he had never played in front of people before. After mentally preparing himself, he placed a small bowl from his bag on the ground in front of him and began to play. At first no one took any notice of him. Soon enough though, people started dropping in coins as they walked by. Then before he knew it a small crowd had gathered around him.
After some time had passed he decided to call it a day, he went to a small inn with his earnings. He hadn’t made much, but he wasn’t expecting to become rich overnight.

This continued for a few days, but he never made a huge amount of gold. He was making enough to get by, but he wanted to prove the curse could be broken. He was on the verge of giving up his dream and just stay as he was. ‘At least I’m not a thief’ he would keep telling himself. His dream came within reach again, as someone had dropped a letter in the bowl. It was a message offering him a job as a hired musician. His chance had finally come; this was how he would break the curse. He immediately packed up his things and set off towards his new life of prosperity.

He walked up a path to a huge manor; he knew he’d made the right choice. A young maid opened the door, and asked if she could help him. “I received this letter, and was told to come here”. She looked at the letter and then invited him in. “Please wait here. I will go and inform the Lady of your arrival”. She bowed her head and walked out of the room. He looked around; the room was full of antiques and valuables. He couldn’t help but be exited, he was sure this was the end of his poverty. He had beaten the curse, and would never need to worry about money again. Soon enough the Lady of the manor entered. He was struck by her beauty. The maid had been pretty, but she couldn’t compare to her. She had very long white hair as smooth as glass, a perfect figure, and a face without even the smallest flaw. It seemed that elegance came with age, and it had definitely come. He had never seen anyone quite so beautiful in all his life.
“You must be the bard I've heard so much about”.
“I had no idea I was this well heard of”. He only just managed to make enough to avoid starving to death, how could someone like this have heard of him?
“My name is Lady Minerva. Welcome to my home”. William bowed his head
“Thank you for inviting me here. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you giving me this opportunity”.
“Your quite welcome. So would mind playing a song for me, I want to see if you are as good as they say for myself”.
“Of course, right away”. William began playing the song that seemed to get him the most attention when he was playing in town.

She applauded him. “Wonderful. You are definitely deserving of your reputation”
He bowed his head again “Thank you”. He was slightly confused though; he didn't know he had a reputation. “Would you like a tour of my home?”
“Of course” He thought he might as well seeing as he was going to live here from now on. “Alison!” she called. The maid then came into the room.
“Alison would you please take our guests belongings to his room?”
“Yes my lady”. She picked up his bag and held out her hand for the mandolin.
He handed it over to her. “Please be careful with this”
“Of course sir, as if it was my own”. She bowed her head and left.
The tour began, and she showed him around the manor. Each room was full of expensive furniture and ornaments; she was even wealthier than he had thought.
They soon arrived to her bedchamber. She told him to follow her and she started walking to her huge four-poster bed. His imagination got the better of him as he wondered why she would show him her room at all.

He was soon interrupted from his imaginings, as she spun around very quickly and threw a handful of glittery powder over him. He coughed, rubbed his eyes and fell to one knee. It didn't take long for him to clear his eyes, as the powder seemed to just disappear.
‘What are you-‘ he didn't finish his sentence. As he looked ahead he wasn’t looking at her face anymore, he was looking at her foot. He couldn’t be any taller than 3 inches. He looked up at her face and backed away, she was giving the same kind looking smile as she was before. When she kneeled down and started reaching for him he turned and ran, but at 3 inches he didn't stand much of a chance. She placed her hand in front of him like a wall, and when he turned to run the other way he tripped over onto her other hand she had placed flat behind him. Before he get up and run her other hand came down on top of him, trapping him there. He could feel her standing up, and was shaken up and down as she walked. She soon opened her hands and put him down. He was lying next to his mandolin, which had been shrunk as well. When he stood up and looked around he realised where he was. He was locked in a birdcage. There was a bedroll, some breadcrumbs and a bowl of water (more like a bath to him) in the cage with him. He ran to the side of the cage and shook two of the bars, but it was no use. The now giant Minerva leaned down to look at him. “I have some business to attend to. So get practicing, I want to some hear music when I return”. She smiled as if nothing had changed and began to walk out of the room. All William could do was shout for help, not that anyone could hear him. His mandolin was shrunk to so the maid obviously knew about him as well, so there was no one who could help him now.

The curse had held true. He would live on bread and water, and would probably never touch a piece of gold ever again. He would never amount to much in his life, and would only accomplish some very small goals.

The End
Chapter End Notes:
In case i didn't make it clear, this is set in medieval times, hence Gypsies, and the stagecoach

I just wanted to write a short story where a bard ends up in a bird cage, and I couldn't be arsed writing a big description of the world around him