- Text Size +

 I sit in the box for hours while they hang out, eat dinner, serve cake, etc. They are so loud that I can hear everything that goes on. I can hear them singing of happy birthday, talking about boys, and playing loud music.

“Now let’s open some presents.”

Finally the moment is arriving in which I will be let out of this dark prison. I hear them unravel various other gifts and hear shouts of thanks for new clothes, new purse, various gift cards, etc. I feel my box start to shake as it’s picked up.

“Hey, why don’t you save our gift for last?” it sounds like Rachel’s voice.

“Why?”

“You’ll see. Just trust me.”

With that my box is dropped, and I tumble into the wall from the impact. I guess whoever picked it up didn’t know there was a live person in it, and Rachel and Sally didn’t care enough to say to be careful with it. So now I wait another several minutes as the other gifts are unwrapped. This is going to take forever, I think, but eventually, I feel my box being hoisted up again.

“What is it that’s so special that you are saving it for last?” I hear a voice above ask.

“Well I guess you’ll have to find out Amy,” responds Rachel. “I’m not telling you what our gift is.”

“The suspense is killing me. What could it be?”

With that my entire world suddenly shook. Before I had time to figure out what was going on, I was flying back and forth, hitting against every walls in the box.

“It sounds hollow, like there’s nothing in there,” ponders Amy. “What could be in here that’s so great?”

“Don’t shake it too much. It’s fragile. Just unwrap it Amy,” Sally warns. So that was why my world suddenly quaked like it did: Amy was shaking my box!

“Okay, but it better be as good as what you two are pushing it up to be.”

I could hear what sounded like the tearing of wrapping paper. Then the lid opened, and a flash of light shown into the otherwise perfectly dark cage. I was blinded because my eyes had become accustomed to the pitch black that I had been in for an hour or two. I reflexively lifted my hand over my eyes to cover the light.

“What is it?” I hear a voice from above but am too blinded from above. “It looks like it’s just a doll. But hey look! It moved its hand.”

She must have seen you move your hand cover your eyes.

“It’s a live, tiny person, just for you Amy,” I hear Sally and Rachel explain almost in unison. “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!”

“Wow! This is the best gift I’ve been given. Thank you two so much!” Amy exclaims as she hugs each of them. I am still too unadjusted to look up to see much of what’s going on.

“Help me,” I cry.

“What’s that, he talks!”

“Help me,” I cry again, hoping someone will listen. “I’ve been shrunk and kidnapped. Would someone…”

“Ahhh, you’re so cute down there. Girls, it looks like we’ll have a fun good time tonight.”

That wasn’t the response I wanted. I could hear thunderous giggling from above. I finally see to my horror a huge face staring down at me with a smirk, which must be Amy’s, and then at least ten other faces behind her, looking over at me and smiling. I try to back away but fall into the wall of the box behind me. I look up in horror wondering what these girls are going to do with me.