- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Rick and Chester find the shrinking machine.
Amber and I were really two peas in a pod at this point. We enjoyed our time together and then went to her room with the risk that Holly & Mitch would be there. They were. Mitch said, “Yo! Jealous, Varrick?” I said, “Yo, meathead! If you would actually turn around.. you’d see who my buddy is.” Mitch said, “Oh her.. I still think you jealous!” Amber said, “We were hoping that we would have the room for ourselves tonight..” Holly said with a slurred voice, “I’m sorry dears, I didn’t know that you two were having a date tonight.” Mitch called out, “OOOO!!! Somebody’s flame went out!” I said, “Haha, but before I started dating Amber, I always thought that fighting was simply part of a relationship..” Amber said, “I love you, Rick!” She kissed me on the cheek right there. She whispered, “I think they are a little too intoxicated for us.. let’s go back to your place.”
I suggested that we had a race, but Amber reminded me that she had heels on. I said, “That’s alright, I’ll just win.” We decide to go with the romantic walk. Amber said, “We should go to a beach together someday.. I’m a pretty good swimmer.” She definitely had the form & figure of a swimmer. I said, “I’m excited for the show!”

We went to my dorm room and I saw Chester, Roger, Andy, and Steve all surrounding something. I whispered to Amber, “Wait a minute, I have to see what my buddies are up to!”
Chester laughed, “Yo Rick! Best idea ever you had there! I know that Dr. Donovan has these crazy ideas.. but I never knew he actually worked them out. Look at this biggie! Idiot left his office door wide open though..”
I asked, “What the hell is that?”
Roger said, “With this thing, we can shrink stuff, like in the movies!”
I said, “Geez.. let’s keep this piece of shit away from my dad, thanks guys!”
Amber said, “We should totally design our own kinky house and live in it!”
I said, “We just need somebody willing to keep the dollhouse, besides Andy, since everyone else will probably wreck it!”
Andy said, “I live near a toy store with this display minituraized house, you two can get married in that!”
I shook my head, “Amber and I aren’t going to be part of a fucking zoo.. use your head man!”
Andy said, “Not a problem, I would be kind of rich because of that.”
I said, “Nah.. all the money will go to my dad who is going to spend it all on internet porn.”
Chester said, “Woah! That’s toally going to be our goal! Make sure that someone else is giving the porn businesses money besides your creepy dad!! I want to try this thing! It’s time for a new perspective on things.”
Roger said, “Haha, let’s get a party here and we can all play Strip.”
Andy inquired, “Strip Poker?”
Roger said, “No.. just strip.. we all get naked and.. uh yea! As long as we don’t get stepped on... it would be kind of kinky.”

I said, “I don’t know guys.. if my dad find us, he will swat every one of us like flies, knowing it is us. But his lack of trust in others may play well for us.. I’m sure my dad would have made it this so that he can take the machine with him.” I look at it.. yea, there’s an auto-shrink and auto-enlarge here.. we will have the machine with us. Hmm.. from looking at this, we could potentially carry this thing around in our pockets, but there wouldn’t be enough charge to grow us back. This is something fun to make a story about while we’re high, but besides that, this is a really stupid idea.”

Andy said, “We’re hearing this from someone who sold drugs on the streets of a wealthy suburb.”
I said, “I didn’t get caught for that.. I did a lot of shit with that money though. I helped my brother Max in Boston get a place of his own, since my father would always make Max’s stay terrible. He has always been a lot more mean to Max than he was to me..”.
This was probably since he knew that Max was more like his mom than his dad. My mom couldn’t take my dad’s behaviors anymore and in fact even attempted to have him sent to an asylum for antisocial personality but that didn’t fly, my dad isn’t a nice guy but he is sane. They got a divorce after I went to Perlman, both were very willing.

Chester said, “That was nice of you, dude.”
I said, “I always do what I can to help my friends out.”

Steve said, “Yo, it’s pretty obvious that your dad has not done a lot of nice things..”
Andy said, “Let’s just keep this machine to spite him!”
I shook my head, “Even if we have this one.. I’m sure my dad built a second one. He has made a lot of enemies around these parts.. in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if this one has a glitch or two. Glitches, we probably wouldn’t like.”
Amber said, “I still can’t believe he would take your car like that..”
I said, “He’s done a lot worse.. but I guess I have to owe him something. At least he didn’t put me and Max up for adoption, he threatened it but never actually did so.”
Roger said, “Guys, why don’t we test it first. Let’s use my history textbook!”. First, we are able to shrink the machine to half its size, so its easier to carry around. We then run outside with it. We also make sure to get a couple 12-packs of Bud Light.

We have the textbook and set the machine to 1/6 and then.... HOLY SHIT!! It actually worked. It looked like the textbook was being compressed into itself. It happened.. shrunk!
Roger laughed, “Now I can tell my professor that I have a hard time reading small writing!”
Chester said, “Let’s grow it 36X! Then it would be a heavy fucker!”
Andy said, “We love Chester and his pot.”
Chester said, “Let’s do it!”

We set the machine to 36X and keep all of the other settings and then watch as it grows. The whole thing seemed like an illusion, the book was stretching in all directions possible and then we have one as big as a car.
Roger said, “Sweet! I’m loving this!!”

We then heard, “THIEVES AND SCOUNDRELS!!!” My buddies tried to get out of here as soon as possible.. but I knew that a hypocrite had to dealt with face-to-face. My father came towards us and said in a low voice, “Richard.. what you have done today is terrible. You and your minions go into my office and steal my prized invention! What is it that you were going to do with it? Make a giant pool of beer?”
I said, “Actually that’s not a bad idea Dad...”
Dr. Donovan said, “That was my plan too..”
I said, “You can’t forget robbing the internet porn companies of their money!”
Dr. Donovan said, “Silly, I can do that without a fancy machine!”
I said, “Of course you can, Dad. You are the smartest human being in the world.”
Dr. Donovan laughed, “And certainly smarter than those who end up in the porn industry! You used it up for a stupid book..”
Chester said, “Yo dude! What do you plan to do with it, man?”

I thought.. goddamn it.. Chester, now’s not the time!

Dr. Donovan said, “Dude? What happened to respect from young people these days? You are supposed to address me as Dr. Donovan. Why don’t you go back to playing cacophanies or whatever it is you do with your life and leave this talk between father and son?”
He then told me, “You notice how much smarter your other buddies are.. they got out of here! As Niccolo Machiavelli wrote, “It is better to be feared than loved.”.”

Chester laughed, “Alright Donny, I’ll do what I can! I’ll make sure my buddy here sends you a CD. What I shall do to make you happy is add internet porn to the mix!”
Dr. Donovan sneered and then said, “I’ve had it with you kids.. now is the time to administer the punishment! I’m guessing my son already has some idea of what’s going to hit him, can’t say the same for your stoner buddy here though, but the main question is going to be when. That’s the dangerous part!”
The first thing my father did was zap the machine on himself. He and the machine both shrank to an inch and ran off, we couldn’t see him at this point.

I said, “This isn’t good man.. we are dealing with someone who is capable of anything.”
Chester said, “I get what you mean..”
I said, “He’s going to wait a while before he strikes.. probably fixing up the machine so he can bastardize it.”
Chester said, “Maybe someone would step on him..”
I said, “I can’t wish that, dude. He’s a lot of things but he’s still my dad.”
Chester said, “I understand that man..”
I was sincerely scared out of my mind. Now I know of what my father is capable of.. there is only one thing I could do, wait and try to not show any signs of anxiety.