- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Rick Donovan, the protagonist, attends an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

Characters won't change size till Chapter 4-5-ish. I'm working on character development right now.
Why the fuck was I sent here anyway? I don’t need this at all. My girlfriend isn’t the brightest, but man, she is dominating! I mean she does this stuff too sometimes.. I am at my fifth meeting for Alcoholics Anonymous. I swear that I’m only here because I messed up her favorite dress. I didn’t even know that was so! She expects because she finds it to be pretty.. that obviously the rest of the world will assume that is her FAVORITE DRESS!
I just sit around and listen to other people moan and bitch about their problems. Not too many really want to be here.. and those who do, I feel bad for them, it usually means they fucked up big time! Sometimes luck just bites in you in the ass..
I haven’t said anything at all yet. The group leader, John Walter, is way too obsessed with religion. Walter tells us that if we all devote ourselves to God then maybe our alcoholism will go away.. if it was meant to be.. or some shit like that. Complete crap! I have been raised an atheist and I’m not about to change my views because some girl cried about her dress.
Walter made this thirty year old woman cry because he told her that her parents would be ashamed of her activities if they were still alive. Walter thinks that by being a dick.. everyone else will caress and rub him till he comes with so much self-gratification. He’s just pathetic and has a short fuse.
Walter speaks with this loud and somewhat fake Southern accent, he was born in Michigan like most of us here. Walter is 5’6 with red hair and probably weighs at least 200 pounds.. the guy has done a good job making himself big, if that was his goal.
Walter says in this loud slow voice, “Now we shall start the AA meeting! Last week, we have learned so much! So many of us become dependent on the bottle, whether this is due to peer pressure or the need to escape, this addiction is ruining all of your lives! Who wants to start by telling us about your progress?”
A man raised his hand. He was a tall blonde man who looked like he was around twenty-five. You often think of these cocky anchormen with their flashy smiles when you think of a guy like him but he just seemed desperate to get out of here. He was one of the guys I felt bad for, he wasn’t much of a drinker himself (certainly drank less than I did, and still do, on a regular basis). I heard his story the first week, he drove a couple of his drunk friends home and crashed into another car for being too slow on the brake. Nobody was injured.. except both the cars had to go into intensive repair. He didn’t go to jail, just was sent to these meetings.
The man said, “I have been making more progress this week, Mr. Walter. I still hang out with my drinking buddies all the time but the pressure for me to partake in such an activity has been gone since I joined here last week, sir. I plan to be a waste of space.”
Walter said, “Very good, Mr. Kaplan. However, you still need to attend your six remaining meetings. Do you believe in a Higher Power, Max?
Max responded, “Yes, I do. My family has been devoted to Lutheranism for generations. I would never dream of abandoning my religion, sir.”
Walter said, “Well, well.. we know that tradition keeps you on that path. But do you truly believe in such a Higher Power? Don’t you know that God is watching down on you right now, paying attention to every one of your moves? He will know if you are lying to me.. thou shalt not lie, as the Good Lord says!”
Max said quickly, “Um..yes.. I do.”
Walter bellowed, “SCREAM IT OUT!!!”
Max belowed back, “I BELIEVE IN A HIGHER POWER!! SIR!! THE GOOD LORD DOES NOT WANT US TO DRINK ALCOHOL IN COPIOUS AMOUNTS, SIR!! THAT IS WHY GOD HAS MADE OUR BODIES REACT IN MANY STRANGE WAYS DUE TO TOO MUCH ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES! EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD WAS MADE BY GOD! ”
Walter said, “Very good, Mr. Kaplan.”
I think Max got the guy fooled.

Yet again, I didn’t bother to say anything. Knowing the kind of guy he is, Walter probably thinks he got me scared. It’s better that way.. I have been “taking notes”. I even drew comics about me without alcohol, it mostly involves me getting high. Ha ha! I might as well go do that with some guys to celebrate my relevation that alcohol isn’t good for me. Thank you, Mr. Walter!