- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The whole world in a panic...
Amy, Lucy and Mike had finally got home. In all the confusion there had been obscene traffic jams with everyone trying to reach "safety" and generally wanting to be anywhere but where they were. It was chaos. As the three entered Amy's house, they noticed a new report on the television which Amy's mom was watching.

"And the comet entered our solar system some months ago", said an enthused NBC reporter, "scientists around the world thought it to be benevolent, but have now been proved wrong. The mass of molten rock and space debris is now hurtling towards Earth at several hundred miles per second and is estimated to hit somewhere in the North of Canada, wiping most of the country off the map, and spreading dangerous conditions across the whole planet. Us in the States will be among the first after that to go unless something can be done, but President Toby Ronne is not optimistic".

The picture changed to the kindly looking old man who had been elected President two and a half years ago and was generally thought of as practically a lame duck already. This might just restore his chances, if he could sort it out. If not, there would be no election anyway. Everyone would be dead. "My fellow Americans", he began, "this grave danger needs to be met head on", he continued to give a very states-manly performance for some minutes, and then the charismatic reporter continued, aided by some visual effects of the comet passing through the Sol system.

The three stood there in utter panic, and it seemed that the whole world felt the same way. Was this it? Surely not? Or was it?

(cheesy drumroll) To be continued...