- Text Size +
"And I saw a pale horse
and a pale rider upon it
and the name of the horse was Pestilence
and the name of the rider was Death."
Revelations 6:8

It was a beautiful summer day. The sun was out, the lake was free of its usual grime, even the criminals seemed to be having a day off, everything was right with the world. It was June. It was eighty degrees. And Amy and Lucy, two attractive high school girls, were sweltering in their tight long skirts and sweaters. They must, both of them thought, go to the only high school in the state that makes the kids where these uniform things, instead of the own clothes allowed in the next town over.

The lesson, math, was frightfully boring. Mr. Reynolds prattled on as he always did "Pi is the circumference of the square of the other two sides", he enunciated in his booming voice, "so if the other two sides equal the circumference, Pi must equal, the same as the other two sides". Amy visibly yawned and made no attempt to hide it.

Finally, a bell rang and the class grabbed their stuff and left the stuffy room. Lucy caught up with her boyfriend Mike outside. "Hey Luce", he said brightly, "looking fineee today", he put his normal emphasis on the "e" of fine. It was one of his many eccentricities. "You too, Mike", she answered, playfully touching his ass.

The three walked out into the sunshine. And froze. For there was a comet in the sky. It burned bright orange against the blue and looked therefore very conspicuous. "What the hell", Mike asked, trailing off as no one had any answers. It seemed like the whole world had frozen as the three stared in mute disbelief.