- Text Size +
The train ground to a halt. It was a behemoth compared to a regular train, each carriage several times wider and longer than the standard, and by reaching heights over twenty storeys, over 2,500,000 Lilliputians could be carried by just one of these vehicles. All of this space to transport what would amount to two, maybe three, mouthfuls of one Brobdingnagian meal.

I exaggerate, of course. That would be assuming the Brob had decided to fill their maw with nothing but (relatively) speck-sized people like me, but that is hardly the recommended method, unless as a party trick. We’re mostly relegated to being seasoning.

The doors opened, with the same shudders as always, and the people filtered out, while some employees in transparent cubicles took down our names. Mine is Maya, by the way. I was on the 16th storey, so I had the pleasure of experiencing one of the better views as I walked down the staircase to ground level. Of course the train itself, like a massive metal wall with thousands of windows and hundreds of staircases and ramps extending from the sides at an array of heights, but the real prize was our destination: workstation 3 of this restaurant’s kitchen.
______________________________

“I’ll have a carrot and coriander soup, please”. The waitress noted the order and walked off to report to the chef. Amelia settled into her seat, finally alone with her thoughts. It might not be the fanciest dish in the world, but the wind had picked up outside and she just wanted something nice and warm. Familiarity was also a factor in her choice. Maybe she could change things up a bit…

As the waitress was walking away she waved her over, “oh, and I’ll take some Lillies with mine, thanks.”
______________________________

Saying the kitchen was overwhelming might be an overstatement now, but it never failed to at least intimidate, even after all these times. The countertop we stood on stretched for miles, with knives longer than our largest skyscrapers and chopping boards that could hold -or crush- sizeable chunks of my home city. But the main attractions were the chefs. All Brobdingnagians, standing at around 3 kilometres tall in our Lilliputian eyes, the simple act of walking place to place was something to be marvelled, let alone their skill and surprising deftness at cooking. I felt the familiar thuds, outside of the current orchestra of clattering pots and working chefs, approaching. The waitress, towering over us at literally mountainous heights, was talking to the chef. She talked to the one closest to us, not bothering to acknowledge the millimetre-tall specks swarming the countertop waiting area. Despite being so far above us, her speech was booming -not deafening, thanks to the standard jabs every Lilly takes before entering mixed society- though still comprehensible, she was listing the customers’ new orders. Several required our “help”.
______________________________

“So! Table 4 they want a shepherds pie with Lillies, Table 2 wants battered cod and chips. No Lillies, no nuts. Allergic. Table 7… she wanted carrot and coriander soup. No Lilli-wait. Yes Lillies. Sorry. Table 5 wanted calamari as dessert? I told her I’d ask but I know Alex is pretty rigid about “starter is starter, dessert is dessert”- you know what, just let them handle it.” Priya apologised again to chef Janet before leaving. The swarm of Lillies on the counter was throwing her off. They triggered her trypophobia, badly. Made her face itchy. Bleh. No like.
______________________________

I looked around the crowd on the table, far too large to find any familiar faces, though that could be arranged, but I did see familiar groups. About half were regulars, labelled with orange wristbands and calm expressions. This was a day job for them. The rookies, keeping the orange armbands but having a much harder time masking their excitement, a few frozen in awe at their surroundings. Ugh, Fivers. Sometimes a fancier restaurant than this would overestimate itself, and order too many ingredients, generally sticking to Lillies that have been trained and selected at classy facilities to give the best customer experience blah blah blah. Very snobbish, considering that they’re rejects, re-rented by a “lower” restaurant. Ah, tourists. White armbands, otherwise indistinguishable from the rookies apart from the constant picture-taking and tendency to move in packs. Whichever Brob employee thought up the idea of getting them to pay for the opportunity to be an ingredient, rather than being payed, is a genius.
______________________________

Amelia stopped herself scrolling through her social feed. Mentally scolding herself, she forced an attempt to observe her surroundings, “live in the moment” as Kate keeps saying. Outdoor seating, same as always. That waitress she talked to was new, though, I guess Jenny finally got her acting job. Or the sack. Um, napkins. Still got napkins. Oh! The Smaller seating area has been cleaned up, it looks less like a spare table with tiny chairs dotted around and more like its own, roofless, restaurant accommodating the two smaller races. The Gullies’ got new chairs (ugly, bright orange things), and the Lilly section had a small barrier facing the door, probably after the Christmas Eve Incident. She wasn’t there, but Jenny had told her of a delivery driver that opened the door on a particularly windy evening, sending the Lillies tumbling across the table. No deaths, those durability jabs are serious business if her Lillie-obsessed roommate is to be believed. Jenny had made a point about this happening on the 19th, not the 24th, I guess the “official” name rolls off the tongue better. Wait, where’s the soup?
______________________________

I was suddenly pulled out of my headspace once the immense metal knife landed in front of us flat on the countertop, and the chef directed us to walk onto it. The soup was almost ready to be served, it just needed several thousand final ingredients. She carefully moved the knife over the bowl, only dropping a few in the process, and waited. The orange sea beneath almost glowed under the light, with colossal coriander leaves dotting the surface like alien trees. A spoon, insignificant scratches obvious to my eyes at this scale, stuck out from the soup like an ancient shipwreck. The-
______________________________

Oh, get on with it, Janet thought as she tipped the knife, letting the Lillies drop into the soup without so much as a splash.
______________________________

Standing up in a thick, inconsistent liquid is hard enough without the gigantic waitress rhythmically shaking the bowl with every step. If the surface tension of this soup was any lower, I’d have sunk underneath and been thrown around by the waitress-made currents like plankton in a tsunami. Winds howled over the bowl as she moved at speeds I could only hope to achieve in a supersonic jet, my body somehow not being liquified and sucked into the void by the rushing air. A coriander leaf ahead of me broke free of the soup and barrelled towards, then over me. I could swear I saw some Lillies carried along with it as it crashed back into the orange plains behind me.
______________________________

“One carrot and coriander soup, with Lillies. Here”

Amelia took a second to reactivate her social skills before responding, “Hmm? Oh, thanks. Thank you!” The new waitress was already walking away. She sighed. Was she too quiet? Well, I guess I’ll have to worry about this random waitress thinking I’m rude later, she thought to herself as she picked up the spoon. She briefly wondered what it was like for the Lillies in her bowl right now. Oh, she forgot to ask for extra coriander. Damn it!
______________________________

Freeing myself from the soup, dusting (souping?) myself off a bit, I took a seat to catch my breath. I looked up. The titaness took up almost my entire field of view, seeing one of her kind up close always seemed like looking at a natural event, like the northern lights, or a supercell storm. I felt like I could hear nothing other than her deep rumbles of her breathing, and her piercing gaze almost broke my seasoned guard. She was looking right at me. Could she see me? She spoke! “Damn,” a quiet whisper but it was something! She probably saw some of us being tossed around by the wind and sinking into the soup. I wish I could tell her she had nothing to worry about. It’s sweet that she cares so much for us.

Her hand, with fingers the length and width of skyscrapers, twisted around the shining, scratched handle of the spoon. The submerged portion of the spoon raised from the soup like a titanic submarine breaching the surface of the ocean, and continued rising high into the sky.
______________________________

Amelia picked up the spoon.
______________________________

The trajectory of the massive object suddenly changed, as it swooped back down towards us like a chrome meteor. It broke through the soup, diving underneath, surely dragging hundreds of my fellow Lillies with it (durability jabs grant an inhuman ability to hold your breath, thankfully), and tore through the golden plains like an icebreaker ship towards me. The edge of the spoon cut upwards right in front of me, carrying, thousands of gallons of soup, along with hundreds of people. I saw the customer’s mouth open, and I heard faint, distant cheering, maybe screaming, probably the tourists and rookies. Then, I didn’t.
______________________________

Huh, it’s not so bad without the extra coriander. I’ll remember that.
______________________________

The swallow probably didn’t echo through the entire room, but you could have fooled me. The Lillies on the soup fell silent, just for a moment. I fell to my knees, only mostly from the shockwave of the spoon stabbing into the soup once more, this time around a hundred metres to my left. It ripped through the surface towards me, scooping up maybe a hundred and fifty people, mostly regulars like me. Then it rose, up and up…
______________________________

Do moles eat carrots when they find them digging underground? Eh, I’ll google it later, Amelia thought to herself as she brought the spoon to her mouth.
______________________________

I was running entirely on instinct as the spoon cut underneath me, the edges rising through the orange muck, trapping me, along with dozens of others, inside. I briefly locked eyes with a Fiver before we both collapsed under the imitation of gravity caused by the cutlery rocketing into the sky. Looking up, the customer’s face took up my entire field of view, although I barely noticed any other part of it besides her closed lips. I had almost pulled myself together and started to stand up when I felt the spoon lower, she was taking her time with this particular mouthful. Now, it was her neck that I could not avoid seeing. Her cheeks lightly contorted as she manipulated the liquid currently in her mouth to towards the back of her throat, no doubt pulling dozens of Lillies along in the currents. The muscles of her neck contracted as they squeezed the bubble of blended carrot and people down her oesophagus. From the outside it was like watching a cliff of skin pulse. I can imagine what it was like for the myriad of Lilliputians on the inside.
______________________________

Amelia raised the spoon to her mouth. Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted another young woman having much more fun than Amelia was. The stranger her dish, some kind of pie, and was… talking to it? Amelia tried not to stare too hard as the woman made a show of licking her fork clean, and leaned towards her plate, speaking in a low, seductive voice. Welp, can’t judge her for having fun, Amelia thought.
______________________________

Her lips parted. It’s a cliché but it really did feel like time slowed down as I watched her mouth open up, and the spoon smoothly travelled inside. I could see many of my kind scattered around the mouth, relaxing on her molars, trying to find footing on her tongue. A few were stuck to the roof of the mouth, suspended in thick saliva. One wiggled free and plummeted past the edge of the spoon just as the customer’s lips began to close.

For a moment, the metal platform was suspended in almost complete darkness. My Lilly eyes adjusted characteristically quickly. There was a loud *clack* as her teeth gently tested the handle of the spoon, her jaws closing as far as they could before the next stage. Suddenly the massive muscle of her tongue struck into the underside of the spoon, sending me to my knees once again. The metal edges met the roof of the mouth, and although I couldn’t see it, I knew the tongue was pulling away back down. The resulting suction drew the soup, along with us, outwards in all directions, spilling over the edge and across the roof of the mouth, briefly, before splashing down on the tongue and teeth.

As I fell I as vaguely aware of the spoon sliding out of the mouth, no doubt catching any lingering toppings at her lips. Landing somewhere on her tongue, I began to rise to my feet, pushing my palms into the soft, bumpy surface, my hands sinking into orange liquid I had grown accustomed to. It was thicker than before, some areas were more translucent than others. She was salivating.
______________________________

Amelia paused at a weak fizzing sensation on her tongue. It was like popping candy. Weird. Nice, too.
______________________________

On the centre of the tongue, where the saliva-soup mixture was much deeper, the Fivers were pulling one of their simpler gimmicks. Diving under the surface, they charged down towards the tongue, smashing into the tastebuds, and the surfaces in between. No small feat, swimming at all in the thick muck was hard enough without the time limit of one or two seconds, and of course the currents generated by the myriad of muscles and glands surrounding us. Show-offs.

Oh, time’s up. The edges of the tongue turned upwards, collecting all of us in the centre. The tip touched the roof of the mouth, and the whole muscle undulated, sending our “little” lake-sized bubble of soup, saliva and swimmers towards the gullet. Any attempts at controlled movement right now would be in vain. I could see, even in the darkness and chaos, first of our mouthful flowing into the hole at the back of the mouth. I felt the pressure in the air change before I was suddenly submerged, my vision cut down to nothing as the translucent orange of the soup took over my vision. I slammed into the uvula, bouncing off the soft flesh and careening into the back of the throat.
______________________________

She swirled the soup around with her spoon, fidgeting as she gulped her latest mouthful. She made a game of trying to cover up individual Lillies in a soup wave without submerging any others. Soup wave… Soupnami? Tsupnami. Eh it’s more like an avalanche anyway, if avalanches were dropped from massive flying spoons. She wondered if any of those Lilly-vivarium folks have tried that. Oh yeah, there was that article where some Lilly film director used something like that in a disaster movie they were filming. Moonfall, right? Heh, Spoonfall.
______________________________

Blinded, disoriented, submerged in a thick, hot mixture of spit and food, I didn’t so much hear the gulp as feel it. The sound- the vibrations reverberated through our soupy bubble, shaking us to our bone. Maybe it went darker as the first oesophageal sphincter closed up behind us, I couldn’t tell either way.

If I were a Gulli, the walls of this pipe would have been squeezing me with a crushing, pleasant pressure as I slid between them, propelled by peristalsis towards the Brobdingnagian’s stomach. Funnily enough I could get a similar experience from being swallowed by a Gulli. But being swallowed by a Brob as a Lilliputian, that was unique only to us. Our contact with the gullet walls was limited to brief scrapes, we were simply too small to be caught in between them, more similar to crumbs than actual food. It isn’t uncommon for Lillies to be trapped in a Brob’s oesophagus, either stuck to the sides by residual spit, or simply not reaching the second sphincter, the gate to the stomach, before it closed. They could wander around at the bottom of the gullet, held captive by the fact that they just aren’t large enough to be registered by the body as food. Of course they’d be “freed” the next time the Brob swallowed, usually the next bite of their meal.

Still suspended in the bubble, I saw the aforementioned sphincter open up beneath us. We passed through successfully, and for few seconds, we were in freefall, not that we could feel the wind rushing through our hair or anything like that. As the mass of liquid fell, it spread from the air resistance like a parachute, deforming into a disk, then an uneven sheet, then a network of soup globules connected by webs, releasing most of us from the bubble. We tumbled onto the stomach floor, some sliding down the lightly wrinkled walls, some still stuck in clumps of spit-soup mixture. None landed gracefully, though. Ive heard many supposedly-impressive accounts describing exactly that, but I’ve been eaten enough to know better than to believe them.

Laying on my back on the wrinkled floor, I took a second to catch my breath. My eyes readjusted to the new environment, a dim, warm light with no discernible source stopping the place from being plunged into pitch black. Seeing the sphincter above me gave me the last bit of energy to move out of the way before she swallowed again. Stumbling over the bumps and creases in the slippery flesh, I stole a glance over my shoulder just in time to watch the tourists who didn’t escape the blast zone in time. Maybe it’s part of the experience for them, who knows. A few of them were laughing hysterically as they resurfaced, so probably.

After several minutes of walking, and a bit of sliding, I reached somewhere close to the end of the stomach, maybe just over three quarters of the way in. Vast cavern, fleshy chamber, you’ve probably heard what a stomach is like from the inside. The growing lake of soup in the centre was still quite shallow, apparently our host was making this meal last. Hundreds of little people were swimming, playing, I even saw a few riding rafts of soaked coriander leaves. Even from within the stomach, the distance between me and them made them look almost like dots. The air was thick and hot, and a thin fog over the lake was starting to become visible, stirred by the occasional contracting of the cavern walls paired with a deep, guttural growl. Her body hasn’t quite decided yet on whether we’re worth the trouble of digestion.

Taking a seat, I watched them for a while longer. A few daredevils were trying to climb the walls of the stomach, some getting to heights that could rival a Lilliputian skyscraper before gliding down the slimy surface, guided by the creases back towards the “beach”, or directly back into the orange sea. Every couple of seconds, the ring of muscle embedded in the roof of the chamber would open up, pouring more soup and its toppings into the sea. Sometimes these would be announced by a a few strands of drool dripping from the hole, or even a small spray, but most of these additions would come all out at once, without warning apart from the approximate rhythm that the customer had found, spoonful after spoonful. The sea was catching up to me, I imagine her bowl was becoming empty. She was almost finished.
______________________________

Damn, I’m almost finished. I’m usually better at pacing myself with this, she thought. The white of the bowl was visible through the soup now, and the dots were moving much faster than before. Probably still swimming, but they could definitely reach the “ground”. Slowly, she tilted the bowl with her free hand, pooling the contents in the corner. Her brain briefly put forward the idea of drinking straight from the bowl like a cup, but she shot that idea down fast. Dipping her spoon into the pool, she tried collecting as many Lillies as she could. Tiny, but way too good to waste. After some sifting back and forth through the liquid, she raised her spoon again. There were quite a few still in the bowl, but this was the best she could do. Absentmindedly , she took a closer look at the spoon.

Logically she has always known the truth about the smaller races. “They’re people just like you and me” and all that, but there was always a disconnect in her mind between the “people” Lillies and the “buy them in the thousands to use as seasoning” Lillies. She didn’t gasp out loud, it wasn’t exactly a groundbreaking revelation, but something did click in her brain that there were people in her food. Around one millimetre tall , barely visible enough that she could make out limbs and colour, facial features imperceptible, but yep, there are human beings in her spoon, her mouth, her stomach. Her maw flooded with saliva, she let out a small chuckle as she passed the spoon between her lips once again.

Swallowing them down with a new appreciation, she smiled, then mentally sighed. Oh, if only she had realised this before the last one-and-a-bit spoonfuls. Tilting the bowl again, she made a few failed attempts at scooping the last Lillies up, before setting the bowl back on the table, releasing them from the puddle of soup. She watched them slide back across the plate with a renewed curiosity. She wanted to eat these people. Fiddling with the spoon in her hand, she had an idea. She placed her spoon in the bowl, tilting it so the edge was touching the surface, and leaned in towards the remaining Lillies.

“Hi, um, little- no. Uh.” Fuck. Talking to people. Her one weakness. “Just… can you climb on please?” Oh, I meant for that to be so much more majestic, she mused. It worked, though, the little dot-people were all moving towards the edge of the spoon. She leaned in closer, managing to single out individuals as they pulled themselves up the thickness of the spoon and slid into the curved platform, joining their fellow leftovers. She moved the spoon around the plate, allowing any stragglers to climb on, without needing to take a short hike first. She leaned in again to take a closer lo- oh, they’re all looking at her. A good chunk of them waved at their devourer, noticing that they were being studied much more intently than usual. Amelia took the spoon away from her face, at eye level, and hesitantly gave a quick wave back.

She considered giving the final spoonful a more dramatic exit (entrance?) but ultimately slurped them up, swilled them around her mouth for a bit, and swallowed them down like the rest. She set the spoon down with a clatter and raised her hand to grab the waitress’ attention, then asked for the bill.
______________________________

In Amelia’s stomach, the idea of quiet relaxation had dissolved long ago. The last of the toppings had arrived, and just *would not shut up* about how the customer noticed them. Fortunately for Maya, they didn’t stand a chance of being heard over the crashing waves, churning seas stirred up by the rhythmic contractions of the muscular walls that surrounded them. The muffled noises outside implied the customer was leaving, and her movements certainly added to the mayhem inside. The Lillies were tossed around, some even thrown into the air before splashing back into the chyme. Maya was doing a decent job of keeping her head above “water”, and was confident that now, she could at least decide when to be submerged, unlike a few minutes before. Until the stomach decides to empty itself into the intestines. She collected herself, she had a long journey ahead.
______________________________

The bell on the door jingled as Amelia stepped through, back into the outdoors. The wind had died down, and her meal had certainly done its job. Maybe she was imagining it, but there was a comfortable warmth emanating from her stomach. She breathed in the fresh air, and breathed out. Then she walked home.



=======•
Disclaimer: All events and characters in this story are entirely fictional. Any resemblance to real world events is entirely coincidental, and a goddamn mystery to me. I mean, how in the fuck-
Chapter End Notes:

(I'll probably be editing this for a bit, it’s my first story but feel free to leave a review, just so long as it’s exclusively filled with glowing praise)