- Text Size +

Chapter eight

 

Susan was startled to find herself alive and normal size again. Looking around she could tell she was in her living room.

"I'm six feet tall again." Susan cried.

"What do you mean again?" Betty asked. "Anyway are you ready to go?"

"Go where?" Susan asked.

"To get our fortune told by Catherine the super witch."

"After what happened to me the last time are you sure that's a good idea?"

"You have been to her before?"

Seeing her friend's confusion, Susan asked.

"What's the date today?"

"It's May 4th."

"The day all this started."

"What started?"

"I've been given a second chance Betty. And this time I won't screw up."

 

Despite some misgivings, she went with Betty to see Catherine. This time she made sure she didn't insult Catherine.

"I see SW in your future." Catherine told Susan. Susan started shaking with fear.

"Relax, you won't get shrunk again." Catherine reassured Susan.

"What do you mean again?" Betty asked.

"Susan knows what I'm talking about." Catherine replied. "Speaking of talking, Susan and I need to have a private chat. Mind leaving for a few minutes?"

"I guess not." Betty then leaves the tent.

 

"I do know what happened during your shrinking." Catherine told Susan.

"So it did happen."

"It happened it what you call an alternate timeline. In this world only you and I know about it. It's all part of my plan."

"Mind if I ask what it is?"

"Not at all. You may find this hard to believe but I do care for SW. I had you shrunk to various sizes so you would have an understanding of what SW go through.  Plus you did need a lesson in humility."

"Lesson received. But questions come to mind. Does my boss really own SW? Does Nancy really seek revenge against me? And was that spider really necessary?"

"Yes to the first two questions." Catherine replied. "As for the spider, I used it for a dramatic ending. Now I do have plans for you."

"Which are?"

"I want you to help take care of some SW refugees for me. I need someone who sympathizes with them. Someone who knows what it's like to be small. Someone who will treat them like humans instead of pets." Catherine replied.

 

Epilogue

Susan looked down at the crying three-inch woman on the table. She was the first of the SW Catherine had sent her way.

"Carol?" Susan asked gently.

"Leave me alone." Carol cried. "You're big and tall. What would you know about being tiny and helpless?"

"More than you think." Susan replied. "Let me tell you a story."

 

The end for now