- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

"If you wished to kill me, I would not fault you. If you wished to delay our cause, then I could understand. However, the only thing I consider absolutely unforgivable...is interfering with my duty to my children." The small group of assassins were thrown off their feet as the ground quaked, and sent sprawling as they were buffeted by a blast of displaced air. Just moments ago, they'd been preparing to slay the feared Harbinger, ambushing her from behind in her own home while she was busy in the kitchen. What they couldn't understand was how they got from there, to here, cowering in the titanic woman's shadow as she glared down at them. Her cool voice was unchanged, save the tremendous amount of venom in her tone. Arlecchino tilted her head to the side, as if briefly wondering what to do with the group of intruders. However, in that moment of consideration, she realised her colossal mistake. All of a sudden, she whipped back to the stove, once again blasting her shrunken would-be-killers away with her swift retreat. After tumbling to a stop, the group simply stared up at the gargantuan woman for a moment, equally entranced and terrified by her effortlessly overwhelming power.

"...you...impertinent filth." She clenched her hand tightly, and then slammed it down on the stove so hard that even the most jaded killers amongst the group flinched in fear. Her aura had shifted - no more was she the distracted and vulnerable woman. No, the second she raised her voice she entirely became the fourth Harbinger, a mortal who stood at the cusp of demigodhood. Forget killing her, any infinitesimal hope of simply escaping with their lives was snuffed out by the overwhelming sense of dread that flooded over them. The look she shot them over her shoulder was filled with an overwhelming, malevolent fury. Arlecchino turned off the heat and moved the pot aside, taking a moment to steady herself. Snapping here would not do - though her work was ruined, that was why she started early, and why she prepared plenty of supplies. She would not make a fuss. She would not make a scene. She would not do anything that might draw unnecessary attention to her actions. However...
"I will NOT forgive you all for this." She was unsure why she even graced them with words, when just the underside of her heel would more than suffice. But before she splattered their speck-like bodies against the tiled floor, she saw the pot still sitting on the stove. Still half full. And still hot.
The Knave did not hesitate to dip her finger into the bubbling contents of the pot. She was no stranger to heat. Even though the contents were hot enough to blister skin in an instant, she hardly felt the warmth as she turned her attention back to the crowd. By this point, they'd gathered themselves enough to scramble away, scattering in every direction. Utterly pointless, but pursuing survival was their right. And slaughtering them was hers. Lifting her finger out of the pot, she idly flicked her fingertip in their direction.

Two fell prey to the indiscriminate bombing. The youngest among them, falling behind his peers, watched in horror as two of his fellow assassins simply disappeared. They'd been running just a few steps ahead of him, but in an instant, they were replaced by massive globs of some viscous, brown liquid. He flinched back from the splatter, only to howl as a few fist-sized droplets struck him. It clung to his clothes, gluing the fabric to his skin and searing his flesh. His palms burnt - instinctively, he tried to tear the clothes off to little effect. In a blind panic, he staggered back, screaming in agony. He was lucky - his suffering ended unceremoniously as he stumbled right into the path of Arlecchino's falling foot. The woman who'd been his prey just a few moments ago now ended his life without even realising it. There was simply an instant of darkness, and then her foot met the tiled floor, reducing him to little more than a misshapen red stain smeared against the underside of her footwear. The remaining two who fell prone at her feet when she simply stepped a little harder wouldn't be so fortunate.

Her eyes flitted about. Just two left. All cowering, too broken in either spirit or body to flee from her anymore. She must've gotten more than she thought with that last flick, but now that she'd cut them down to less than half, it almost felt too quick. Almost. She had other matters to attend to, so she'd finish these two, clean up, then restart her work once more. With her course of action decided, Arlecchino's expressionless face broke out into a smile. She was already imagining how overjoyed the children would be when she presented her handmade chocolates to them, though for the pair of surviving assassins, they could only think that she was relishing their suffering, and that her smile portended the most painful torment yet.

Whilst still happily daydreaming about their reactions - not that she'd ever allow them to see such a joyful expression as the patriarch of the house - Arlecchino held her hand over one of them, a woman. A single drop of the already cooling liquid chocolate trickled down her fingertip, forming a thick droplet that dangled overhead. There was a moment of beautiful serenity as all was still. And then, a slight twitch of her finger sent that globule crashing down on the screaming murderess. Instantly, the molten candy engulfed her upper body. Despite it's viscosity, it invaded every opening it could find. She'd shut her eyes before impact, but her mouth wasn't so lucky. The burning sensation all over her body forced another scream from her scorched lips, and instantly the burning sweets filled every corner of her mouth. She couldn't feel her tongue, or her cheeks, or the roof of her mouth, or anything at all anymore - it was all just a storm of constant, agonizing pain. It stretched down into the back of her mouth, then down her throat, spreading into her insides. At the same time, her eyelids began to blister and weaken as the thin muscles scorched and carbonized - even if she was to somehow survive at this very moment, she would be crippled forevermore. The heat would have practically melted her eyes, sealed up her throat and lungs with scar tissue and of course disfigured her delicate features with endless deep burns that penetrated down to the bone. Of course, that was assuming she could be saved from this sweet, hellish end.

"N-No...Archons above, no..." The last man dashed over as he saw his partner's free hand desperately clawing at the ground while the chocolate covered the rest of her from the torso up. He stumbled and surged forwards, sinking down and seizing her hand as he tried to pull her free. Her nails dug into his flesh as she desperately fought for life, but he forced himself to push through the pain and continue pulling her free from the sticky death that clung to her. He pulled and pulled and pulled, until finally, with a sickening squelch, she was freed and the pair of them fell to the ground. His chest heaved from the exertion, but even in the depths of despair, cornered and facing his death at the hands of the Fatui Harbinger, he allowed himself a moment of slight pride for saving his partner. At least, until he realised the hand that'd been gripping his own so hard had gone limp. He sat up, only to nearly retch as his failures sank in. Her body, twisted and broken, was perfectly still and coated in a thin layer of cooling chocolate. Her face was frozen in an expression of agony, immortalized in the confectionery coating her head. She was dead before he even ripped her mangled corpse from the sticky embrace...

"Just one left..." Noticing how the final assassin tried to save the other, Arlecchino watched with curiosity. However, once it seemed like he realised his folly, she lost interest. She prodded at the speck, gluing him to her fingertip, before lifting him up to her face. It seemed like she'd also caught a bit of the other girl, a snapped limb that he'd been holding onto. He appeared to be writhing in pain, but she ignored it as she simply licked her fingertip clean. Most certainly not something someone of her status should be doing, but she allowed herself these small indulgences while dealing with pests every once in a while. With one quick swallow, she finally finished dealing with all of them. No matter if he survived to melt away in her stomach or if he was simply crushed between her finger and tongue, she no longer cared. Instead, she took a cloth from a nearby bench, and used it to wipe away the chocolate that she'd splashed on the floor. It was the right decision to toss this batch - it was just a moment too long over the fire but the taste wasn't perfect, and she would only accept perfection for her children today. With that in mind, she casually erased all traces of the assassins from this world, and simply returned to the stove, readying herself to make a second batch of chocolates before the children woke.