- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A spontaneously inspired story involving a very underused character in my opinion. Check out the artist who inspired this https://www.deviantart.com/svenyatta who also helped with the name of the story.

Today was one of the rare days that Dr. Rebecca Holiday was out on the field testing. Along with Rex, Six, Bobo, and an armed escort, they were chasing a group of Evos running through a field. “This group of Evos was deemed incurable by Providence, but we haven't had the resources to commence with full capture. However, that may change today: Dr. Holiday will now explain,” Six briefed the escort. Rex wasn't paying attention until Holiday cleared her throat. She wore standard-issue agent clothes with metallic gauntlets on her arms and boots on her legs. Wires trailed up her arms and legs to a battery pack covering her ample chest and around her back. “Thank you, Six; I'll keep the explanation brief. I've made modifications to the cure machine Brandon Moses originally invented. I've condensed his invention down to what I am wearing now. It is our only model, and it took considerable time to build this prototype. If mine and Caesar's math is correct, this should cure Evos as Rex can. The boots will help me move fast enough to keep up with Rex and Six,” Rebecca explained. The grunts awed and ohed hearing Holiday explain her invention.

Rex raised his hand, asking, “Uh Doc, if those gloves can cure Evos, why not test it at base? We have tons of incurables there, and I wouldn’t need to travel in the middle of nowhere.” Holiday knew he would ask this, so she responded with this. “Because Rex, these Evos have been getting too close to a small town, and we've been asked to deal with it. Besides, do you ever need an excuse to beat up Evos? If it does work, that means you get more free time,” Rebecca replied. “More free time means more taco time, kid. Seems like a good deal to me,” Bobo said, not looking up from a magazine he was reading. “Exactly. Now get ready; we’re almost on top of the herd.”

The convoy circled the herd, trapping them inside. The Evos screeched in defense, grouping together. “Remember people, pacify them. Rex, you're up,” Six said, jumping into action. “No need to tell me, Six. I got this”, Rex said, instantly building his own pair of mechanized legs. He launched himself at the herd, knocking 3 of them down while the rest scattered. “Boo-yeah! That’s how you do it!” he boasted. The grunts fired tranq darts as they closed in. Holiday joined in, sprinting to one of the Evos, shocking it with one punch. “Hey Doc, nice moves!” Rex shouted as he held off one of them with his mechanized fists. The herd was quickly dealt with and contained. Hold it right there, Rex! We don't want it thrashing around once this starts,” Rebecca said as she walked closer. Tapping a few buttons gauntlets, energy began to build up in both palms.

Electricity surged in both gauntlets as Dr. Holiday pressed her hands against the Evo. With a blinding light, an ostrich was left in the spot where the Evo was. “Seriously? We just cured an overgrown chicken? We sure are some saviors here,” Rex complained. “Come on Rex, we still have five more to go. I'll buy you and Bobo a pizza after this,” Holiday said, putting a hand on his shoulder. “It better be extra large with extra toppings,” he grumbled as he held another one down. Holiday zapped each one as she had done before, all of them reverting to being normal animals. “Alright, we'll head back to Providence base soon. Pack up and– get down!” Six said as an explosion destroyed one of the transports. 

Red swirling portals appeared out of thin air, Evos pouring out of them in droves. Behind them followed their leader, Van Kleiss, and the members of the Pack. Rex summoned his giant sword and pointed at the Evo mastermind. “Van Kleiss, finally coming to your senses and surrendering?” Rex joked. “Oh, come now, Rex,” his opponent said, “Do you really believe that I would surrender to you? No, I’ve been watching your little outing here since you left Providence. This… toy the good doctor invented could prove problematic in the future. Thus, we must halt this project and take your doctor for our own.” Their foe snapped his fingers, signaling his forces to attack.

The Providence grunts unloaded rounds into the opposing Evos as Rex and Six followed their leader and Biowolf. Scalamander waddled after Holiday but was cut off by blasts from Bobo's guns. The doctor rushed around, aiding who she could while avoiding capture. She contemplated attempting to cure some of the downed Evos but surmised it would leave her wide open and could leave civilians in danger. Breach rose up from a portal, giggling as she was about to save another grunt. “Little miss doctor, curing incurable. What’s wrong? Think you’re too good to be one of us?” she joked as she grabbed at Holiday. Rebecca managed to avoid being grabbed but caught a stray crystal shard in her energy pack. 

Electricity arked from her energy packs as she tried to take it off. Rex was sent flying and landed on one side of Holiday while Van Kleiss stood an equal distance from the other. Both leaped at the doctor, arms raised to cure/turn her. They each grabbed an arm and sent their nanites into Rebecca as the pack on her surged. Energy bubbled from Holiday's chest before exploding, sending everyone flying back. Rebecca writhed as the three powers fought within her body. Each group rushed to her before another explosion came from her, knocking out friend and foe. The aftermath of having been blown up twice drained the energy from Holiday, and she passed out in the field.

Some time later:

Once Rebecca woke up, she saw that she was alone on the grass. Most of the transports were destroyed, but a few still stood. Unfortunately, there was still heavy damage done to them and none of them were the jets. She turned her earpiece on, trying to call for any of her allies. “Rex, are you there? Rex, can you hear me? Six, do you copy? Bobo? Does anyone copy? Hello?” she asked. The only sound she heard from the earpiece was static. “Providence base to Holiday. Van Kleiss attacked our convoy, and I found myself alone among the wreckage. Request immediate evac and search and rescue,” Holiday asked. “Evac and search and rescue request approved; stand by for pick up,” someone replied. She sighed, feeling relieved someone was coming. Rebecca took the time waiting to inspect herself and her surroundings. The explosions shredded a majority of her suit, along with her bra.

Holiday spotted a few pieces of clothing not too far away from where she was sitting. She stood up and walked to it. It was Rex’s jacket and, for some reason, his shirt, pants, and shoes. The doctor picked it up, put it on herself, and zipped it up. She was sure he wouldn’t mind, given the circumstances. Rebecca noticed movement under the black shirt Rex wore. She lifted the collar and saw a small human figure moving in the dark. It was an impossibility, but she asked anyway, “Rex, is that you?” The figure turned to face her, asking, “Doc? What the heck happened?! Why are you huge!? And why are your eyes glowing pink?”. The doctor reached inside the shirt and gently grabbed him, pulling him out into the light. He was left nude without his clothes, and he attempted to cover himself accordingly.

From a rough estimation, he seemed to be three inches tall. Holiday found a torn bit of cloth big enough to cover himself with. Rex could still construct his builds as he made his jet pack, flying near her. “Doc, as much as I want to look for Six and Bobo, Van Kleiss is still… crawling out of his shirt,” Rex said, flying over to him. Rebecca followed behind him, picking up a pistol that was on the ground. “Van Kleiss, stay there and don’t make any sudden moves. You’re coming with us whether you like it or not,” she said, pointing the gun at him. “Hmm, I have no clue as to what you or the doctor did Rex, but know that I will find a way to reverse this. I will have my revenge for this humiliation,” he said as he sank into a small red portal. Holiday and Rex were left there in the field, waiting for their evac.


Chapter End Notes:

A new story needs new feedback. Let me know what you think and be sure to check out https://www.deviantart.com/svenyatta , they do amazing work