- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter, and the next one, are mostly setting the scene and getting the plot moving. As of posting this, chapter 2 is almost done. Chapter 3 is when the shrinking will happen.

The dropship engines started to moan as they started to power down. I looked outside the window and gave a smile. I saw pine trees covering mountains in all directions, save for the tiny complex nestled at the bottom of the valley. The complex looked like one building, but the seams where the modular prefabricated parts met were still somewhat visible. Which made sense, since this base was only a year or two old if what Dr. Ziegler had told me was true. Regardless as to its size, this base was to be my home for the next few years.

I snapped myself from my thoughts and daydreams, remembering that I had to check my make up. I pulled out a compact mirror from my simple red leather purse. I looked over my face, trying to make sure I looked perfect for the first face to face introductions. I gave a smile as I looked over my more compact face and pushed my blue and brown glasses up the bridge of my nose a little bit. I moved my head from side to side, noting how my shoulder length, brown hair could use a quick brushing. Sadly, I had left my brush in my luggage, which was strapped on the other end of the ship.

I put away the mirror, as the ship’s wheels landed on the landing pad on the roof. I unbuckled myself and stood up, before giving myself one last look over to make sure that I looked presentable. I wasn’t dressed in anything too fancy. The doctor had insisted that I wear street clothes, so I wore a simple pink T-shirt, a pair of tight-fitting cut-off shorts, and my favorite Vans. As I looked over my slightly chubby body, that thought popped in my head again. Why me? I didn’t have time to think on it. The pilot’s voice broke my train of thought.

“Dr. Ziegler is waiting for you in her office.” He said simply over his shoulder as he unstrapped my luggage. “Your luggage will be in your room.” I turned to him and gave an awkward smile.

“Oh, um, thank you so much.” I said, surprise in my voice as I followed him out. Now on top of the complex, I could tell far better that it was about the size of duplex house. A temporary house in the middle of the Creux du Van. We both entered a long door that was on the roof, that lead to a stair well. We went down the stairs and I found myself in a very clinical looking hallway. Fluorescent lights buzzed overhead, hanging down from beige ceiling tiles. The hall way was short and narrow with only three doors, one on each side of the hall way and one on the end. The floor was some kind of tan tile, as if someone was trying to add a splash of color to the hall. The pilot spoke up again.

“Doc’s office is the door on the right, your room is downstairs.” Again, without waiting for a response, he started down the hallway, two of my suitcases in hand.

“Thank you for the help!” I called. A moment later I started clomping down the hall and turned to face the door. The door looked like something straight out of a doctor’s office. A large piece of opaque glass made up the majority of the door, with wood making up the edges of the door and a simple metal door handle. I took a breath, trying to steady my nerves. Then I opened the door.

The room inside was both large and fairly simple. Opposite the door was a wall of opaque glass, this time with an opaque glass door. Between the door and the glass wall was a desk. It had a computer and a small stack of paper, but not much else on it. The swivel chair at the desk was turned at an angle, like someone had gotten out of the chair recently. The rest of the room was oddly bare. Just more fluorescent lights, ceiling tiles, and now white tile floor. No real sign of Mercy. At a loss for what to do, I just kind of stood around. On occasion, I paced a little, but mostly just stood and waited. Finally, after what felt like ages, I heard one of the doors from the hallway open up, and the sound of heels quickly clicking against the tile. I turned to face the door just as it opened, and revealed an oddly wet Dr. Angela Ziegler.