- Text Size +

Keith took a deep breath, trying to relax and calm down as he glanced at the clock. Managing to slow his breathing, he talked to himself to both pass the few remaining minutes, and to try and stabilize his energy.

“You’ve done well so far Keith. You knew it would be hard, and it has been, but you are new to this, and they weren’t expecting the world.” He smiled, nodding to himself. He knew he hadn’t been a rockstar, but he hadn’t been useless either. Still, his third month was up,and that meant a performance review.

He glanced at the clock, 10:28 time to get moving. Standing up, he adjusted his tie, and composed himself as he began the short walk down the hall towards human resources. Passing by his manager's office he glanced over, trying to read his face, surely his manager knew how this was going to play out.

His manager looked up, watching him pass by his door, but held a neutral face. No sadness, no pity, no frustration, but also no…positive or happiness either. Damn’t. This didn’t tell him much, although he felt like it leaned towards bad.

He stopped at the corner, double checking his phone for the time. 10:29, alright here goes nothing. Stepping out, he knocked gently on the door as he glanced inside. Sure enough Linsey looked up, he felt a shiver as her eyes met his and she smiled…warmly?

Somehow feeling relieved, he waited until she beckoned him in with her hand.

‘Please take a seat Keith.” She gestured to the chair in front of her desk as she typed away at her keyboard, opening up what he assumed was his paperwork.

“So, as you probably know, today is your 3 month anniversary. How are you liking it here?”

Keith smiled, a bit surprised by the questioning, he had assumed this was gonna be some sort of robotic in and out meeting. He either made the cut or he didn’t. “It's nice, uhm, I enjoy the people here, everyone is nice, and I've learned a lot.”

Linsley smiled nodding, her pause made Keith feel like she wanted him to continue.

“I really like my manager, he’s awesome, and the projects have been interesting. And uhm, uhhh…”

“It’s been good for your life I assume?”

“Uhm, yeah I like having a purpose, and my quality of life3 has grown leaps and bounds…no pun intended” he said smiling. Keith was beginning to feel unsure of where this was headed.

“Well I am glad to hear all of that Keith. It has been a pleasure getting to know you”

Keith’s heart sank, she stopped short but he could practically hear the unsaid “but”.

“However we have decided to give someone else the opportunity to try and excel in your current role.”

There it was. He sat back, trembling, but trying desperately not to make a scene. “I…I…I thought I was doing well” was all he managed to say, stuttering as he tried to hold it together.

His very first reaction was rage, but that died instantly, he knew it wouldn’t help, and pissing Linsley off was only going to make this go from bad to worse.

She frowned, “You…did, I’ll be honest Keith this was a hard call. Usually I am letting people go who are straight up not performing. You are doing your job…you just aren’t….great.”

Keith held back tears, he had tried so hard.

“Please don’t send me back” he whispered, repeating it again with a little more composure.

“I am sorry Keith” She looked genuinely sad, as he tried to gauge her true emotions through watery eyes. “I really am”

She slid forward a piece of paper. “I assume you remember your employment contract. Because you weren’t a terrible employee, I am able to offer you this”

Keith swallowed back the lump in his throat as he lifted up the paper, skimming quickly.

A pretty standard severance contract, he'd be offered some money, released by the company. There was really no reason not to sign it, he was gonna need the help.  It did mention they reserved the right to rehire him if he wanted, which was cool.

Finishing reading the paper, he sighed as he placed it down and picked up the pen. The most important thing wasn’t mentioned, but he knew what happened next, it had been clearly spelled out in the employment contract.

“Thank you” She said as she checked his signature and filed the paper over in a folder.

“So uhm…does it happen…now?”

She glanced at the clock on her computer, then back at Keith. “Yes, the size the company has given you will be reclaimed in a moment. I would suggest standing up for it.”

Like most people these days, Keith was one of hundreds of millions of people who had been shrunk down years ago to conserve resources. Only those with money and influence had retained their size, lording over the now even more pitiful masses more than they ever had. Only once they realized the complications of such a world didit become commonplace for people working “useful” jobs to get to be normal sized again.

Keith nodded, taking a deep breath as he gripped the chair arm and began to raise himself up when suddenly he felt weak. Falling back in the chair, he could only look up as Linsley as the world got hazy, and suddenly very, very large.

Standing up, Keith sighed, back to his 2 inch self. It had been nice while it lasted, as he looked around, trying to find the easiest way off the chair, he may need Linsley’s help. He looked up just in time for the ground to shake , sending him back onto his side. It happened so fast, he didn’t even see who it was as a colossal ass began falling towards him.

“So Linsley, I heard Keith is no more?” The familiar voice of  Ella thundered around the small office.

“ELLA NOOO” He screamed up as he raised his hands. Tighter than what could possibly be comfortable, the twin moons of her modest yet well shaped behind were coming straight for him. A sky of brown, with a darker crevice in between loomed overhead as she paused, hovering right above the seat as if waiting for Linsley’s response confirming she had time to chat.

Taking the sudden moment, Keith turned and ran away, heading towards the back, praying she was only going to sit on the front half like she usually did.

“Yes, he is no longer an employee. Please be careful he should be down at your feet”

“Woah? Really?” Ella responded, clearly surprised. She finished sitting down.

Like a colossal mountain falling over slowly, the chair shook as endless flesh, barely constrained, began to make contact, rolling towards him. He screamed pathetically, wondering if he was about to meet his end under the ass he had ogled countless times.

THWOOM

Ella finished taking her seat, the impact knocking him off his feet again as he was compressed into the chair.  Opening his eyes, he realized he had only managed to survive by virtue of making it to the crease in between her two orbs.

“I don’t see him,” Ella said, disappointed in her voice.

Linsley chuckled. “Check your chair.

‘OH!” Ella shot up, spinning around as her eyes found the trembling, still intact Keith. Blushing, she realized he had just gotten closer than she had intended.

"Hey there lil guy…can I help you to the exit?” She said, her tone fluctuating as if she was looking for a hint of forgiveness.

“Ella” Linsley said authoritatively, grabbing Ella’s attention. “Leave him at the door please.”

“You bet” Ella said, reaching down and picking Kieth up semi-gently as she walked out of the office.

“Oh, and a closed door means don’t come in you know!” Linsley called out, shaking her head at the interruption. The only reason he was letting Ella walk him out was it saved her a trip.

Bouncing on her palm with each step, Keith shivered, unsure what happened next. He looked up at Ella with sadness. She was cute, and he had just started getti.ng to know her. Now her, and the entire world of people with jobs was lost to him, he probably wouldn’t earn another chance.

The office flew by, as ella moved at a nearly impossible speed. In a blink he was at the exit and being dropped onto the ground.

“Bye Keith! Good luck on your next venture!” The bubbly woman called out as she pivoted andleft. Her flats caused a tremor with each step even as she was in the distance.

Sighing, Keith turned, preparing to head back to the encampment he had come from.

THUD THUD

He looked up, feeling the ground shake indicating someone’s approach. Ella had left him in the middle of the walkway. How stupid could she be! Confused, there didn’t seem to be anyone walking out of the doors, or towards them.

THUD

Falling over, he looked outwards and located the source of the earthquake. Leaning against the wall, a pair of black leather shoes were tapping on the ground. Following the legs upwards Keith took a step back.

“Oh shit”

Michaela.

In an attempt to look better early in his time at the office Keith had stolen her thunder a couple times, claiming credit for work she had done with him. Now she towered over him, a smirk evident on her face as his eyes finished craning up to it.

“Well well well, what do we have here?” She tapped her foto again, grabbing Keith’s attention.Recoiling in horror, his eyes traced a red mangled shape before that foot tapped down. She raised her other foot, leaving the heel on the ground as if tapping for no other reason than to show him her soles.

Her right foot was covered with….debris, remnants of what he knew to be people littered the ground near her, as well as the bottoms of the shoe.

“What…what are you doing here Michaela?” He screamed up as she crouched down in an attempt to hear his pathetic voice.

“What am I doing? Oh you know, just hanging out. I love being outside,m getting some fresh air. Performance review days are my favorite” Her grin widened as her eyes flashed with a predatory gleam.

She began to raise her shoe up.

“Lot to take care of on those days, you know?”

(Fin)

Chapter End Notes:
I really appreciate the feedback! So if you liked it, didn't like it, want to see more, suggestions etc, please let me know!