- Text Size +
The Commander had just arrived at the city when disaster struck. Out of nowhere, an ominous red cloud appeared in the sky, swirling and billowing bigger and bigger with each passing second. The cloud descended onto the city until no one in it could see anything but red. Then darkness took the peopleas one by one they passed out.

The Commander awoke later with his head throbbing. He pushed away the pain to stand up, knowing that his first priority had to be figuring out what happened and call the base for help if necessary.

The red fog was gone now, and he could see everything clearly. It seemed the locals had all been knocked out too, as he saw a bunch of them stirring on the ground or else slowly standing up or helping others to wake up. They looked around warily, as confused as himself as to what had happened. At a glance it didn't look like anyone was hurt, unless you counted the headaches that everyone seemed to share, but it would take time to make sure.

He thought to question some of them to confirm that they'd all seen the same thing as him, but something else caught his attention. With the state of his mind after awakening, it had slipped his notice until now that there was something off about not only the lighting but also the sky itself.

The sky above held no trace of that cloud's ominous red tint, but neither was it the blue of the daytime sky, nor any other natural hue he had ever seen the sky take; it was white, and not the white of cottony clouds either, but a perfectly flat and even white, matching the unnaturally colorless light shining from the sun.

But then, that was no real sun, was it? No, its light was much too weak and didn't hurt to look at like the sun's did. It was hard to believe, but the more the Commander saw, the more it became clear that the “sun” was a mere lightbulb and the “sky” a mere ceiling, if anything of that size could be called a “mere” anything. Indeed, he and the entire city appeared to have been transported to some truly gigantic room, likely a bedroom judging from the colossal furniture. And, maybe it was his imagination, but he felt that there was something disturbingly familiar about the room.

The Commander tried to phone the base, hoping they might be able to help him make sense of all this, but the call never went through. In fact, none of his calls went through except one to a local contact who didn't answer the phone. He wasn't able to connect to the internet, either. Whatever was going on, it appeared to have made the outside world unreachable. “Things just keep going from bad to worse,” he muttered. At least it was clear now that everyone was fine, aside from a few accidents from when visibility had been lost in the fog.

After spending some time thinking things over, the Commander decided that the best course of action would be to meet with the city's authorities to discuss the situation with them, but before he could even look for them, he noticed that the locals had gone quiet all of a sudden. They seemed to all be listening for something. He stopped and listened along, unsure at first what he was meant to be hearing. But in time the noises took shape for him, and he distinctly heard the sound of footsteps in the distance, beyond the bedroom door.

The steps grew louder and louder; whoever they belonged to, that person was definitely approaching the room. All eyes were on the door then, waiting to see what manner of being would enter. Soon the door was pushed open, and a giant person was seen standing in the doorway—one the Commander knew all too well.

It was Laffey, one of the shipgirls under his command, who pushed open the door to her bedroom, totally unaware of the millions tiny souls who now found themselves stranded on her bedroom floor. The whole city watched in horror as she stepped inside and closed the door behind her. The cute and dainty shipgirl, white-haired and red-eyed and with a pair of bunny-ear accessories tying up her pair of pigtails, was huge beyond human comprehension; bigger than all their buildings, bigger than any mountain. The ground shook under her thigh-high white boots with every step she took, each impact thundering over their minuscule little ears.

It boggled the mind to see her moving—nothing so immense should be capable of such speeds! It felt as if her very existence shattered the laws of nature into a million pieces. But that wasn't even the worst of it. No, the worst part was looking at her and understanding just how pitifully, insignificantly puny they, and indeed their whole city, were. They were nothing; a mere spot of dirt on the floor. All their lives, these people had felt themselves—their jobs, their friends, their dreams, their families—to be the most important things in the world. Now Laffey's mere existence seemed to have rendered all of that meaningless. What else could they conclude when their lives, all their efforts, everything they ever valued, could all be snuffed out with a single step from this girl? She would annihilate their city without even knowing what she'd done.

And, in fact, it seemed that's just how it would go. Laffey walked towards her bed with a BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, each new step driving her closer and closer to the tiny city, and bringing those million frightened souls closer to their annihilation. Apocalyptic earthquakes dominated the city, forcing countless people to their hand and knees, as if Laffey's mere presence were forcing them to kneel and worship her. “Laffey! Stop!” the Commander shouted, hoping against all reason that his words might somehow reach her before she crushed the whole city—in reality, they didn't even reach his own ears, the booming of her steps totally overwhelming the pitiful squeaks he produced.

The seconds seemed to stretched into minutes once her boot's red sole appeared over the city, calling to mind the red cloud from before; they had survived that one's descent, but it didn't seem they would live this one. By then almost every throat in the city was wailing screams of hopeless terror, as everyone felt this must be their end. Most shut their eyes the instant her foot began to fall, refusing to see their impending doom, but the Commander forced himself to keep them open and watched every single inch of its descent until...

BOOM!

The sound deafened everyone in the city. A powerful gust of wind blew over the city, picking up everything that wasn't bolted down and everyone who wasn't holding on to something and throwing them back until they hit some wall. The ground and even the air itself shook with an apocalyptic intensity, shaking everybody down to their very cores. They lived, but for the next few seconds, they were so numb that they didn't quite realize it. And all that from Laffey stepping one whole inch away from their city, or several miles away from the tinies' point of view. It seemed a miracle that everyone survived, and that the buildings were all still standing.

Blissfully ignorant of the massacre she had almost caused, Laffey walked past the city and stopped between her bed and her drawers, where she took off her battle gear and stored it away. She took off her boots too, and stripped off the fluffy white socks she was wearing, leaving her feet free to enjoy the fresh air.

Normally at this late hour Laffey would have jumped into bed for a nap, but not today. Instead she pulled out a fresh volume of her favorite manga. She had just discovered this series a couple weeks ago, and she had been hooked on it ever since. Much as she would have loved a nap, she decided it could wait until she had finished with this latest volume, so she walked back around to the front of he bed, almost stepping on the city again, and stopped at her favorite reading spot, the comfy white rug at the foot of her bed. There she lay face-down, holding the book open in front of her while her legs stretched back over the wooden floor.

The city now found itself between the shipgirl's big toes, each one a colossal mountain in and of itself. The air became steamy, filled with the heat and sweat from her feet, to say nothing of the smell, and as it came into contact with the cool surfaces of the floor and of the city, the humidity formed countless tiny droplets of water over everything. It started out innocently enough, with droplets only the size of a fist, but as more and more spawned they started joining together. Soon they were as big around as a man was tall, and they only kept getting bigger from there, taking over houses and buildings and even whole city blocks, growing unstoppably huge like blob monsters from some old horror movie, spreading over and sucking in everything they came into contact with.

Laffey hadn't even touched the city, and already she was drowning them in her sweat.

The Commander managed to find safety by climbing in his car and shutting everything tight. Even when it had been sucked into a colossal droplet the water still couldn't make it inside. Other people who had the same idea, or who had sought refuge in some building, were similarly safe, but just on this street he could see hundreds more who were now swimming in these droplets, desperatey flailing their arms and legs to swim to the surface. It was no use, though; the people were at the mercy of the microcurrents in these water droplets, and even when those currents led someone towards the surface, surface tension prevented them from breaching it.

The Commander tried to call Laffey and tell her to move her feet away, but even now his call didn't go through; he could only assume that his signal was too weak to reach her from this distance. In the end all he could do was watch as those hundreds of people drowned, one after the other giving one last dying spasm before falling still.

It was a few more minutes before the droplets all evaporated , shrinking back down and releasing their captives bit by bit until there weren't any left big enough to hold a man. The Commander and many others who had survived hurried to try and resuscitate those who lay unmoving on the streets, forcing the water from their chests, pumping their heats to beat again, breathing air into their lungs. There was some success, thank goodness, but for many others it was too late.

It was perhaps the worst massacre of civilians the Commander had seen in all his years of service. To think that innocent little Laffey was responsible for all this... No, not even Laffey; more like the heat and sweat radiating from her feet. So pathetically small was the whole city now that her body was like a force of nature, an unstoppable power bringing death and destruction without any ill intent.

Now more than ever the Commander knew he needed to contact her. He hadn't been successful yet, but maybe if he got closer to her phone his signal would reach her. Possibly there were better plans, but it was the best idea he had, and he knew that time was of the essense if he was going to save everyone's lives; the longer it took to find help, the greater the odds that something would happen to the city. That they had survived the cataclysmic impact of Laffey's foot nearby suggested to him that their shrinking had made them relatively more resistant, but clearly that didn't stop them from drowning in her sweat, and it might not help them survive being stepped on either.

Before he set out, the Commander called the city authorities to tell them his plan was, and suggested that they try contacting Laffey themselves in the meantime. Then he started his car and left the city.

The wooden floor of Laffey's room seemed smooth at a normal human scale, but at this size it was the worst terrain the Commander had ever seen. The car would not stop bouncing while he drove out from between the shipgirl's feet. Still, he just gritted his teeth and resigned himself to a lot more of this.

His plan was to round her left foot and drive up along her body, even walk if need be, until he was close enough for his call to reach her. He figured the trip would take hours either way, but since this was Laffey he was dealing with, there was a good chance she would fall asleep before then and stay asleep long enough for him to finish it.

The Commander had only reached Laffey's second toe, however, when she suddenly pulled back her toes to prop up her foot. Soon her entire sole was on display for him and the city to see, towering over the land. As soon as it had gone up, though, it started coming back down. Her toes slid forward along the floor, even passing their previous position as she stretched her legs out a bit further and right towards the Commander.

Even at top speed and with a minute's head start, the car would never have gotten him out of the way of those massive toes. He could only hope that is relative sturdiness would let him survive them sweeping over him. Luckily for him, that's just what happened; when the vast wall of pale pink skin that was the shipgirl's second toe passed over his car, the Commander found himself swept up into a tiny groove of her toeprint and spared from any deadlier pressure. By the time her feet were stretched out again, his car was on its side but still intact.

The Commander got out and with some effort managed to get the vehicle back on its wheels, after which he started driving out of this groove and up the slope to the ridge of Laffey's toeprint. Though the distance wasn't that long—“only” a few hundred feet—he believed it would take a minute to get out because of how steep a climb it was. Once he started driving, though, he found it didn't feel steep at all. It felt like driving on level ground, and the feeling persisted even once he got off the slope. He realized that Laffey's skin must be exerting some kind of pull on him, as though it had a gravity of its own on par with the Earth's. A small advantage of his new size, he supposed, even if it only reinforced how insignificant he'd become.

On the ridge, the Commander could see all of Laffey's sole stretched out before him, while behind was a big drop to the floor. He considered driving back down to go on with his original plan, but something told him it might be better to make the journey over Laffey's body. After all, even if she did stand up before he could contact her, at least he'd still be on her body instead of stranded on the floor. So he drove up the seemlingly-endless series of hills and valleys that were the tiny ridges of the shipgirl's footprint, and the bigger mountains that were the wrinkles of her sole, avoiding sweat pores the size of small lakes, specks of dust the size of small mountains, and tiny fibers left over from her socks that were like monstrously gigantic white snakes. With the uneven terrain it took him a whole hour just to reach Laffey's heel, from where he tried once more to contact her. Predictably, he still wasn't close enough.

From this height, the Commander could look back and see the city lying between Laffey's toes, for the first time getting a better sense of their new scale. The city was small enough to fit in its entirety under Laffey's big toe. It couldn't have been more than an inch in real terms, though he remembered seeing on the map that it was normally some ten miles from end to end. Doing some simplified math in his head, the Commander estimated that Laffey's foot was likely some eighty miles long from heel to toes. And Laffey as a whole? She would be more than six hundred miles tall—big enough that her body could be its own country.

Even with those numbers he still couldn't fully wrap his head around her sheer immensity, and had no desire to try, but at least he had a sense of how much further he had left to go; not as much as he'd feared, but not as little as he'd hoped.

He didn't waste any more time, driving further along Laffey's heel until he was down on her ankle, and soon driving along her calves. The terrain her was smoother than back on her foot, and he made better progress, every so often trying again to reach out to Laffey, who he was pretty sure had fallen asleep by now. She rarely stirred, and even when she did the microscopic forces of her skin ensured it didn't hinder his journey, but even so the Commander could feel the immense power behind every movement as the whole barren landmass of the shipgirl's leg shifted and wobbled at even the smallest twitches of the muscles lying under the surface.

As he approached Laffey's hips, still with no success, the Commander considered for decency's sake trying to continue his journey driving over her skirt, but he was forced to discard that option once he was close enough to see what impossible that incomprehensible tangle of red and white fibers would be. The fibers themselves were actually big enough for him to drive on, but if he started following one there was no telling where it would take him, and hopping from one to the other would be almost impossible. He had to drive under her skirt instead, and by the same token, once he reached her panties he had to drive under them too.

The fabric of said panties made for a dark, stuffy labyrinth that threatened to keep the Commander wandering around inside for ages. With hardly any more visibility than that provided by his headlights, and facing what looked like the same exact tangle of white threads at every turn, he had to trust that his sense of direction would keep him from getting turned around or going in circles or, worse, ending up somewhere he really shouldn't be.

It was starting to feel like the Commander had bee wandering around in there for days, and that he would spend many more lost in that labyrinth, when he finally reached an end to all those white threads. After that, making it out from under Laffey's skirt and onto the small of her back was a relatively simple affair. He was still under her top then, but at least with better visibility, and from there it was a relatively easy ride to finally reach the open air out on her shoulder.

By then the sun was starting to rise, as he saw from the light seeping in through the curtains. He had spent all night traversing Laffey's body, and even then only up to her shoulder. Making it all the way up her head would probably have taken him half a day total.

At least the Commander could see his target now. Laffey's phone lay on the floor , half-covered by the manga volume she had fallen asleep reading. Was he finally close enough for the signal to reach it? He drove all the way to the very top of her shoulder before trying, since his phone battery had been running out for a while now and he wanted to conserve it as much as possible. He was so relieved when the call went through and her phone started ringing.

It still took a minute for Laffey to wake up, but finally she grabbed the phone and answered it, without even raising her head. “Hello? Commander?” she answered.

“Oh, thank goodness. Laffey, first of all, I need you to stay very still!” he said, hearing is voice echoed through the shipgirl's phone. “Listen carefully. There are lives at stake, and we can't afford to waste any more time.”

“Okay, okay,” Laffey yawned, still not lifting her head. Away in the city, where most of the survivors had long since fallen asleep hoping that the nightmare would be over come morning, hundreds of thousands of people awoke to find that it was still ongoing, as they heard her voice booming in the distance and felt the earth shake as the shipgirl carelessly stretched her feet, threatening to crush them all with but a twitch. “Where are you, anyways, Commander? I heard people you disappeared or something.”

“This is going to sound strange, but I'm right here on your shoulder.”

“My shoulder?” Laffey finally raised her head and turned to her left shoulder, where the Commander was standing. Only, as soon as she did, she yawned again, sucking in air at suck speeds that the Commander was blown right off her shoulder and flung into the deep, dark cavern that was her mouth. He and his car landed on her tongue, splashing into a vast ocean of shipgirl spit and sinking down to settle between a pair of giant taste buds. “Hello? Commander? Did you say something? I don't get it. What do you mean you're on my shoulder?” she said, never suspecting that every letter she pronounced the tiny little speck of a Commander stuck on her tongue was sloshed around between her taste buds, or thrown against the roof of her mouth. Still nice and dry inside his car, he barely managed to hold on to the phone and speak into it as soon as she had stopped talking.

“Laffey, I need you to gather all the saliva in your mouth and spit it out on your hand. I know this sounds strange, but I'll explain everything as soon as you do this, okay?” Laffey didn't answer, but after a pause the Commander felt everything moving again. In the total darkness he couldn't make out what was happening, but he heard some really loud wet noises and his car started floating up. Suddenly Laffey's mouth opened up and he found himself falling together with an immense volume of spit, finally splashing onto the shipgirl's open palm, under her curious gaze. As soon as he had settled down, he hurriedly recorded a video with his phone, briefly describing what had happened while showing off his view from inside the car as proof.

He sent it to Laffey, who listened to it all without a change in her expression, then turned to look curiously at her hand. It made the Commander feel a bit uneasy, truth be told. “So... are you safe now?” she asked once he had finished his tale.

“Yes, for now. I'm still stuck in your spit, but it might be better to leave it alone until it evaporates.”

“Okay. In that case.... I'm going back to sleep. I'll talk to you later, Commander.”

“Wait. Laffey! You can go to sleep but make sure the city's safe first! And tell someone else about– Hello? Laffey?” The Commander swore once he saw that she had hung up on him, and though he tried to call her again, she had turned off her phone so he couldn't bother her. And so he was left to wait for the colossal shipgirl to wake up again, hoping that this time she would be more inclined to help.