- Text Size +

Sergeant Mackenzie’s face looked unconcerned as I entered the office nervous for the reasoning as to why I was being called in. She gestured to a seat after I closed the door which I anxiously sulked into. I was instantly relieved when she flashed a smile as she said “congratulations you’re being picked to be the test subject on new surveillance technology. You were recommended by our tech leader Cassandra for the program, and I think looking over your file that you can be perfect for this.” “That would be amazing” I sputtered out mostly confused as to why Cassandra would every pick me for something. She has hated me since we broke up and has constantly done things to get back at me and torture me. I was trying to figure out how she could possibly be torturing me with this huge opportunity when the door opened, and Cassandra joined us. 


She was beaming as she said” Hey Sarge! Hey John! Good to see you both we are so excited to get started with this project and I think its going to make such an impact in future policing.” “Thanks for joining us Cass” Sergeant said “Alright John we are going to iron out all of the details and you will be reporting to the Tech department come Monday. Now these tests in surveillance require long hours and sometimes you may spend days at a time doing surveillance. Too put it bluntly you were picked because your social status is more isolated then others, and I do believe you are suited well for this work. 


I glanced over the insult and stumbled through saying” Thank you for this. I know I can do this, and I look forward to this next step in my career.” I looked at Cass for the last part “I will see you Monday.” “I can’t wait this is going to be so much fun, see you then” Cassandra still confusingly seemed sincere and to be super happy about this future partnership. I glanced over at the sarge who had already set to focusing on whatever was on her computer forgetting I was even here. I then snuck out the door as I left for the day nervous for what Monday would hold. 


  


************************************************************************************* 


 


Monday came fast as I reported to Cassandra’s office dragging my feet as I pushed through the door. I was immediately disappointed when I entered the future looking lab and found that it was only Cassandra, and none of her assistants would be around for whatever we were doing today. Cassandra was sitting next to a chair that had several gadgets and attachments connecting the chair to a box to her impressive desk setup. She barely looked up at me as she gestured me to the chair.  


I felt the cool metal of the chair as I took a seat in this dentist style chair my feet coming off the ground and sitting into the foot rest. As she continued to look down, I looked over at her huge desk which was attached to a large container that had a glass door. Wires went between the desk and connected to several different parts of the chair I was in. She all of a sudden caught my attention as she looked through my soul and smiled very largely at me.  


“Alright, I’m super excited about this.” She maneuvered around her desk and came over and started attaching little wires to my forehead and then opened my shirt a bit reaching in and attaching some to my chest. “I have worked my entire life for this and I think I have made a revolutionary breakthrough that is going to make me beyond famous. I’m happy I found a good use for it so I could get the backing from the department and the federal agencies to finish my study.” “I’m happy for you that is awesome. So what are we going to be doin.. What are those for?” She surprised me as she began to bound my hands mid-sentence. “Just have to keep you still during this experiment.” Now as far as what we are doing here. I have revolutionized how we will be able to gather intel and spy on potential suspects. We will be able to send an officer in without them having to faintest idea.” She was beaming with joy as she finished securing my hands to the chair and bent down to begin securing my legs down. “I’m sure this is going to sound crazy to you at first, but I have made it possible for a human conscience to inhabit an inanimate object and retain all senses and function.” 


“Oh yeah sure that makes sense.” I at this point was trying to remain pleasant with her as she had been nice to me for whatever reason, but as it stood, I could only think that she was tying me up to torture me or as an embarrassing joke that the department was in on. I know for a fact that what she is saying Is completely ridiculous. I was trying to figure out what her next play was as she reached up and secured a metal piece out of the chair and it was placed around my forehead very tightly securing me to the chair.  


“Alright let's get this started....” I was stuck looking forward because of the head strap as she went to her computer and fired up the machine that was behind the chair. As it started up I could start to feel a slight tingle from the wires connected to me. “First step is going to be just a small test. My assistant who hasn’t arrived yet leaves a pair of flats under her desk for work, and I remember you really cant stand feet so I thought it was perfect. I have also heard that she has been talking bad about me so I would like you to really pay attention. I’m going to turn you into her flats for the day and then after I’ll turn you back so you can tell me what it was like and of course what she says about me. It’s the perfect test, although I have a feeling being a shoe will not be your favorite test.” 


  I didn’t even know how to respond to what she was saying just thinking about how ridiculous everything she was saying was. She was typing away and the machine got noisier as I felt the metal brace around my forehead get warmer and then a large jolt went through my body, and I couldn’t feel my body as my eyes rolled back in my head and I felt a huge tug before I awoke to darkness..