- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is my first story, and I'm pretty new to writing in general, but I have many ideas tucked away in my head and wanted to share them with all of you.  This first chapter will just kind of be a setup, and the main action wont start until chapter two, but pretty much every new chapter after it will be based around a different person, creature, or object from inside the game world.

You are a genius game developer who has worked for the last six years building your dream fantasy role playing game called Gaia: Origins, or G:O for short.  It is being developed for a device called the neuro-plug, which is a small device you attach to your arm that can allow you to upload your own consciousness to a character in the game you are playing.  Recently you've made a huge breakthrough on the completion progress of your game, and decide it's time to test the new updates.

You, the 23 year old game developer, lay down in your cozy bed and plug the neuro-plug into your arm just like you've done a million times before.  It's time to test out your newest patches for Gaia: Origins.  If all goes well this patch, you may be ready to release the game to the public within the next couple of months, so you're very excited to get it up and running.  You turn on the machine and your vision slowly fades out.  When your vision comes back, you are staring at a screen with three options.  You ponder for a moment then decide to start a new game.  Normally when testing some of the patches, you would load your already-saved character, but since your newest patch has to do with creating a character, you will have to start anew.  The next screen you see is character customization.  You decide to do a scan of your body in order to have the game auto-customize your character to appear exactly like you do in the real world, except with a couple of changes to clothing, of course.  You always fell in love with knight-type classes, so you start yourself off as a warrior with it's classic sword-and-board kit.  After that, you click start, and notice something a bit odd...  Part of your vision appears to go fuzzy, and some of the text distorts slightly.  You figure it's just a small bug because it has to load the world around you, and you can just fix it after your test.  Your vision then fades to black again as you are loaded into the world of Gaia.

When you awaken, you are laying underneath a towering green tree in the Silver Forest.  That's weird..  You don't remember adding any giant green trees to the Silver Forest.  Perhaps a texture bug?  But no..  There are thousands of giant green trees as far as the eye can see.  They dwarf you in size like massive redwoods.  You look around bewildered by what happened to the forest you designed, only to notice a titanic brownish pillar far off in the distance that reaches towards the heavens.  It is speckled with green and pale-white leaves, and you realize that it is what the trees are supposed to look like.  But why is it so big?  Why is everything so big?  Maybe everything is normal size, and you are just very small?  You take another look around you and realize the towering green trees are actually just blades of grass!  There must be a problem with the scaling of new characters.  A "massive" problem.  You assume it's time to log out and fix this bug before you continue, so you say the voice command to open the escape menu, but nothing pops up.  You say it again, "OPEN ESCAPE!", but again, nothing happens.  Now you realize there is an even bigger problem than you previously though.  You are not only in the middle of the Silver Forest, one of the most enemy-filled locations in Gaia, at the size of a speck of dust, but you are also trapped inside your game, with no way to escape until you reach the main city and forcefully exit through the emergency unplug door you hid away in one of the villager's houses.  Well, at least you may be able to figure out the way to the city if you can find a landmark near by that shows you exactly where you are within the forest.  With that in mind, you set off and start walking in a single direction, passing by a seemingly endless amount of towering blades of grass, and appearing to get no closer to the giant tree in front of you.  This may take some time...

After nearly forty minutes of walking, you finally reach the base of the tree.  The giant tree, marking the start of the path through the Silver Forest, was a perfect place for me to set up a little camp before my long path to the City of Aurorins.  I figured setting up a small canopy out of a piece of the tree's root, a small campfire, and a couple pieces of the tall grass to sleep on should be adequate for my makeshift camp.  Turns out, ripping apart these pieces of grass while they are taller than my real world house tend's to make it pretty hard.  I ended up using a tiny chunk of a pebble in order to help cut my way through the grass and fashion it into a bed.   I dragged it into my little hole underneath a root, and lit some dust and tiny pieces of the tree's bark on fire, giving me a bit of warmth to beat the soon-to-be cold night.  Finally, cozy in my makeshift camp, I settle down and rest, waiting for the next morning before continuing my journey, and hopefully find some food along the way.

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for taking the time to read.  Please give me feedback as you see fit, as it will greatly help me in writing future chapters for this story! I should hopefully write the second chapter within the next couple of days.