- Text Size +

Naturally, the next-door neighbor’s house seemed a bit undersized compared to the last, but that was only because I had swelled higher, and this time I just had to make contact once to literally bring down the house. Rather than hammer down my whole meaty sole this time, I took a gentler approach, pointing my toes like a ballerina and dipping my dangled foot into the roof. Everything still collapsed around my foot, with my ankle the only thing maintaining any kind of structure for the crumbling place, as though it was all made of popsicle sticks on the verge of ruin. As soon as I pulled my foot out again, it disintegrated to junk. Satisfied now, I hiked back up the shallower hill, resuming my stroll on the road and letting cars splat like beetles under my heels.

By the time I reached the city, buildings which looked double my height from the lab site now just barely reached above the top of my head, but I was gaining on them fast. I could hardly keep up with the rate of my growth. All I knew was that my size was increasing faster all the time. It was impossible to estimate, except to acknowledge that I now had to be the largest living thing on planet Earth. And I was just getting started.

“Good evening, everyone!” I bellowed. I could practically see the buildings wobble just from the force of my voice, and I hadn’t even laid a finger on them yet. Where my feet came to rest in the street far below, I created a literal traffic jam. Most of the people abandoned their cars, some doing the smart thing and running away as fast as their little legs could carry them, but most of them stopped in their tracks just to look up at me.

I’ve made a career out of never being noticed, yet as I stood above a thousand terrified onlookers, fully exposed, my long legs and shimmering red hair bathed in urban starlight, I realized I’d been missing out. This was the perfect score I’d been waiting for my whole life.

I bent over and reached for a city bus gridlocked in the street. Wrapping my fingers around the sides rekindled the surge of pleasure, and out of instinct, I squeezed. Hard. It only took an instant for the whole machine to crumple against my palm. When I opened my fist, I could see the geometry of my powerful fingers carved into the metal, and I bounced the hunk of metal in my hand like a softball. Just in case my entrance to downtown wasn’t big enough, I cocked my arm and hurled the bus down the street. It rolled and crashed through cars and citizens bowling pin-style, before it came to a stop at the base of a skyscraper.

Tramping down the packed street, I kicked aside cars with my toes and trampled crowds under my heels, but my gaze was locked to the wall of windows making up the tower. The surface was so smooth and mirror-clear, I could see my whole body in the frames. Even better, I could make out my colossal form continuing to expand, outgrowing the reflection, the cataracts of red hair falling over my moonlit breasts. I’d passed up the office buildings on both sides, and soon the street wouldn’t be wide enough to contain me, either. It was all so amazing, and I was tempted then and there to thrust my fingers between my legs and encourage the temptation roiling inside, but I willed myself to wait. There was still so much fun to be had.

By now, the people below had gotten the idea I wasn’t there to be friends. They ran in crazed pandemonium, which didn’t bother me. I got to enjoy the individual tingle of every puny body crushed under my big soles, but I didn’t care about them. All I wanted now was to prove my growing power, to myself and everyone who remained. I wrapped my hands around the sides of the nearest apartment complex and started to rock it side to side. It came loose even easier than I imagined, and with just one hand, I shoved the entire building onto its side. Dust billowed to every direction in a fog, but the gale wind of my rising foot quickly cleared it away, just before it crashed through the downed building like styrofoam. The larger I grew, the finer the texture of the destruction became on the soft undersides of my feet, from shattering glass and stone, to something more like the crunch of a stale cheerio under my big toe.

My hips were starting to outgrow the distance across the street, much like what happened just before I tore through my clothes. I relished the feeling, swinging my arms wide and shaving the top floors off every building packed into the block. When I let my butt swing from side to side, knocking the brickwork and caving it in, I could feel the walls straining to hold me. I called out to everyone below:

“Oh, if only all of you down there knew. If only you could feel what I’m feeling now, I’m sure you’d understand why I’m doing this. It’s intoxicating. Better than any drug, better than sex, better than anything. And the only way to keep it going is to show you what I’m capable of. So that’s what I’m doing. I hope you’re all watching, and I hope you’re all enjoying it even a fraction as much as I am.”

I was studying my reflection in the skyscraper again, wondering how long it would be before I dwarfed the tower as well, when I heard the buzz of insects by my ear. Army helicopters strafing around my head. Several went down when I swatted too fast for them to dodge, but before I could snatch the final two, they launched their payload. Two bombs plummeted, each one landing at the peak of my breasts. Though I noticed the explosions for sure, it didn’t come to much more than the feeling of a nipple tweak, which only heightened things for me. But that wasn’t the only thing.

A sensation, like what I’d experienced back in the lab, electrified my body. I halted in place so fast my foot nudged right through another building, bringing it crashing down with just the tips of my toes burrowed in the foundations. My lips parted and a gasp escaped that resonated across the wreckage. Like last time, I pressed my fist through the skyscraper for support, but once the effect of the bombs leveled off, I was on my way up again, and the tumbling citadel was left at my knees. I was soaring, yet my feet never left the ground. While the night sky approached above and invited me closer, I felt the city vanishing into the river creases of my sole, forests razed under the round of my heels, and civilization itself oozing up in the tender crevices between my long toes.

The next time I took a step, I found I could cover a mile at a time. Forget cities. I could crush entire counties in one go. Once the bombs wore off, I wasn’t growing as fast, but I was still getting bigger by the second. Every muscle I moved resulted in another surge of pleasure through my extremities. So I took a stroll. Hills and low mountains became like dunes and eventually anthills I only had to reach a little farther to clear. Suburbs turned to dust under my feet. New cityscapes were mashed into paste just by planting both soles side-by-side and shuffling through the swath of ankle-high buildings, which came down easier now than cobwebs. Every town I squashed, every road I pancaked, and every speck-sized human I stamped deep into the earth brought me the kind of elation I never dreamed I’d experience in this life. Reeling, power-hungry, desperate for more, I alternated filling the night with my booming laughter and haunting moans the higher I rose.