- Text Size +
Story Notes:
A short-ish first-person-perspective tale about a female thief getting more than she bargained for in the middle of a smash-and-grab.

---

Interested in commissioning me for your own custom story? I can write your ultimate macro fantasy, from a wide range of genres and lengths. Read details here: https://www.deviantart.com/thejacksmith/journal/Story-Commissions-Are-Open-Again-698491757

I also have a side-shop for miscellaneous pre-written & discounted goodies, such as flash fiction, unfinished tales, and deleted scenes from series like Time-Out and A Little Blackmail. Check it out here: https://www.deviantart.com/thejacksmith/journal/New-Special-Stories-Shop-802615692

My Patreon for early-access stories and exclusive tales is now online! Hope you'll give it a look: https://www.patreon.com/JacksmithShrinkStories

It was supposed to be an average gig. Research facility, first floor: in and out. The kind of thing I can do in my sleep. Plus, the money was better than usual.

I cleared the guards and the laser tripwires in record time. My standard. Skeptics usually take one look and disregard me before they’ve seen me in action. They laugh sometimes and ask how someone as tall and curvy as me, with pearl skin and ginger-fire for hair that stands out in the dark, could make an effective stealth operative. Those are the people I haven’t stolen from yet.

Once I was in the lab, though, I could tell something was wrong. Things weren’t where they were supposed to be, and it was screwing with my timeline. An alarm went off and the guards came rushing in. They sealed the exits and told me to get down on the ground, and even before I could move, I heard them clicking off the safeties. That’s when I knew someone either gave me a bad tip or just wanted to set me up.

I got down like they said. I could hear my heart in ears. This was a first for me, since you don’t really stay in this business if you get caught, but I’ve always got a trick up my sleeve. When the first guy came near me, I’d already broken his wrist before he could even make a sound. I had his gun then, which helped even things a little, but once they opened fire on the whole lab, I saw my chances running out. Beakers and containment units burst and sprayed all around me. Tanks split open and started seeping chemicals. I took one guy down, just before I felt the sting of a bullet in my side.

I went down, but just then the gunfire stopped. Everyone piled back out the only door left and sealed it behind them. Suddenly I was stuck in a closed laboratory filling up with toxic fumes. I did my best to filter the air, but I could feel it entering my lungs, and worse, there were no masks left out in the lab.

I was just running through my own last rites when I realized the pain in my side was gone. Strange, I thought, since I was shot and all. Maybe the chemicals were giving me a high right before the poison kicked in. Then that numbness turned to tingling, starting from the wound and spreading across my whole leather-clad body, from the top of my head to the tips of my toes, then back again. I stood up, feeling all right and more than a little shocked, but nothing could’ve prepared me for what came next.

My clothes were getting tighter, and fast. I could feel the seams straining against my hips. The fabric stretched over my breasts. Each stitch was coming undone at once. Threads popped around every curve of my body. Even my boots were tearing over my ankles. I admit I’ve got long feet, but they weren’t big enough to tear through shoes, at least not until now. By the time I figured out what was happening, it was too late to try taking off my clothes because they were so taut to my skin. Instead, I grabbed hold of the nearest lab table to ride it out. I felt my clothes shaving into patchwork shreds, starting around my shoulders and waist, but spreading quickly. In no time, I was standing there in the tatters of my uniform, and only when I let go of the table again did I notice it was over a foot lower than it was when I grabbed on.

I wasn’t hallucinating, and my clothes weren’t shrinking. My body was expanding. Not getting chunkier or longer, but swelling outward in perfect proportion. It seemed impossible, but it was happening anyway. I was growing.

I didn’t know what to do, except think of ways to get out before I became too big for the room. I tried the exits and air shafts around the perimeter, but all of them were sealed tight. Still, my body kept growing, becoming bigger and taller all the time. In less than two minutes, I’d bypassed seven feet, and I didn’t think it was going to stop. Soon, I bumped my head on the ceiling. Even after I sunk to my knees, it didn’t make much difference. My body was eating up the space in the lab faster than I could adapt, and I had nowhere else to go. The rest of my catsuit fell off in ribbons, and finally my bra and panties ripped away too.

I felt exposed, but only for a second. I had much bigger problems. With the ceiling approaching over my head, I braced myself for impact. I pressed my hands flat against the ground, flexed my soles, closed my eyes, and…

In the span of a second, my body redoubled and quadrupled the speed of my growth. When I arched up to meet the ceiling, my head passed right through it as easily as aluminum foil. There was no pain, only surprise as I watched the floor above buckling from the pressure of my body breaking in. Dollhouse-sized tables and lab equipment scattered. When I reared to my full height at last, my shoulders and the rest of my torso crashed through the next floor above. And then I felt something else. Something I would never have expected to feel after I’d been caught, shot, and exposed to a chemical disaster.

A little drop of bliss, starting at my core and working its way through. Goosebumps prickled my skin and warmth stirred under the surface. Soon it blossomed to full-on euphoria. I was taken aback, even more than I already was, just as my head touched the third floor and stretched the metal like tissue. My arms rose through the collapsing wreckage and I touched my fingers to my cheeks, just to check if I was dreaming. But I wasn’t.

My hair came undone in the back, and suddenly fiery strands were hanging in my eyeline. I brushed them aside just as I hit the fourth floor. Here, security gathered again in the debris, but when they opened fire, it sounded more like singing cicadas, and it hurt me even less. I laughed the kind of booming laugh that could echo across a whole countryside. Most of the men doubled over just to cover their ears. I should’ve felt afraid. I should’ve felt ashamed that everyone would be able to see me naked, and alarmed that nothing could ever be the same again. But I didn’t feel any of those things. When I looked down at myself, I saw only a form to be admired and respected, even worshiped in time.

I felt good. Powerful. But I wanted more.


Chapter End Notes:
More to come soon.