- Text Size +

Run.

Don't stop.

Don't think.

Just run.

Run.

You have to run!

That was all that was going through your mind as you tore down the streets of Detroit, your fine-pressed suit and tie a disheveled mess along with the rest of the rabble as every last one of your peers scoured the area, masses crawling upon masses, desperately searching for any path to safety. You had long left your car behind as an abandoned husk in the middle of Redwall Street, the traffic out having become completely unbearable from the masses upon masses of people trying to hightail it anywhere that wasn't here, that wasn't where that monster was.

For now, you had managed to escape the worst of the mayhem, and had found a small dead-end allay away from the madness. You knew you couldn't rest for long, though. You had to get out of this city somehow, and fast!

You didn't know how the hell this became your life, but there it was. Well, technically, it only became your life about a few minutes ago, but look at this shit; a real-life, honest-to-god giant, his shins towering over the high-rises and his eye looking down on the entire city, laid out before him like some kind of fucked up ant hill!

You were just going about your day as always, really. You woke up at 6:30 am sharp with half a migraine and a stiff neck, took 15 minutes to admire the warmth of your sheets before resigning yourself to wheat cereal and bland, black coffee, and got dressed up in the same two-piece blue suit you got from an off-hand charity store before heading off for downtown in your brand-spanking-new 5-year-old car you got at a discount from a sympathetic neighbor of yours.

You would have given your life, hell, anything, to break up the monotony and make life seem less like it was already over for you before you even began, damnit!

Somehow, a giant was the last thing that came to your mind.

It started out innocently enough, really. On your way to work, on the second light from home, the ground had suddenly shook. It wasn't noticeable, really, more of a gentle nudge than anything. The only reason you'd noticed to begin with was due to you being absolutely bored out of you mind thanks to the radio being broke. You were so desperate for any kind of stimulus that an ant crawling along the windshield would have gotten your notice for a few seconds if it had happened while waiting at the light.

Then it had happened again.

And the then again, the sound growing louder and the shaking getting worse and worse, one after another, coming closer and closer like an ever-approaching heartbeat. The dirt was getting uplifted, the stone from the old buildings was beginning to chaff, bits of rubble falling off like loose teeth, and the wild was becoming more violent, with pieces of rubbish being strewn all over the place.

That alone would have been strange. Earthquakes didn't happen in this part of the country, let alone in Detroit, where the last recorded earthquake was in 1931. Then, a gigantic shadow, far bigger than anything that you had ever seen, covered you view. Not a single cloud was hanging in the sky while this had happened.

That was when you began to run.

You could see him now in your little hiding place, right by the outskirts of the city, countless ruins no doubt beneath his feet. You could barely see much, tucked away as you were in your little dank corner, with only the slightest bit of light making it through the towering fieldstone walls of the surrounding buildings. The most that you could gather from your vantage point was a distinct pinkish tint somewhere in the horizon, the atmosphere giving it a blurry blue haze. The tint was uniform and smooth, almost shiny, and had an almost roundish quality, given the way the light seemed to bend around the surface of the pink. Assuming that what you were seeing was human skin, whoever the giant was, he was almost certainly young; quite young. A kid even, if that roundish quality was actually baby fat.

More important, though, the fact that the giant's skin was visible through the haze of the atmosphere meant two things: 1) whoever the giant was, he was still very, very far away; and 2) in spite of that, you could still see him, and only a part of him at that, meaning that he was also very, very, very big!

Your heart practically burst out of your chest at the realization. Every limb in your body was getting more and more tense by the minute, your hands clammier, your stomach acids churning, your breath going in and out of your lungs at an ever-quickening pace as every last ounce of your very being was telling you to get out of there right now!

You proceeded to oblige, your legs taking on a life of their own as they burst out of the dead-end alley and back into the congested city streets. As people continued to abandon their cars and take off running down any perceived exit they could find, you followed along with them, not a single ounce of coherency or calm to spare in your thoughts as you all scrambled like headless chickens in a barn fire. You didn't even perceive where exactly where you were going; you just kept on running, the temperature getting colder and the pressure getting heavier as time continued to pass with you dodging and weaving instinctively through the chaos, with almost no idea of where you were even going. You were almost getting delirious; where could you even go?! Where could you even hide from something as monstrous as that giant?!

Before you could do something that you would never be able to take back, harsh, automated voices abruptly crackle to life in the air, snapping you and the rest of the fleeing civilians out of your collective madness. All of your eyes proceed to turn to their source: numerous army-green helicopters, flying just below the skyline of the city, all of them equipped with the latest and most advanced in radio communication technology as they blared out commands from above.

"ATTENTION, EVERYONE! PLEASE FOLLOW THE YELLOW DRONES TO THE EVACUATION ZONES. I REPEAT, PLEASE FOLLOW THE YELLOW DRONES TO THE EVACUATION ZONES!"

Before you knew it, strange, small flying metal machines, all of them coated in a garish yellow plastic, flowed into the city, swarming like locusts out of the helicopters and flying just above the crowd. Their sides were equipped with flashing green arrows directing people to exactly where the evacuation zones were. Yet more automated instructions were issued from voice boxes equipped inside of casings of the drones, all telling people the exact directions they had to take. To top it all off, a swarm of military men were now coming in from all sides, barking orders to the crowd to get in line immediately and head to safety. With the assurance of military protection serving as a soothing balm over the conscious of the masses, the streets finally began to settle into something resembling order, as one by one people were siphoned through the now hopelessly congested highways towards awaiting government vans, which would drive off into the distance, presumably to wherever the evacuation zones were. You were fortunate enough to get in one relatively quickly, your nerves at a fever pitch as you passed through more and more scenes of the chaos still brewing outside.

Finally, you had made it to one of the evacuation points, a rescue place waiting just on the outskirts. It wouldn't take long before you took off along with several others, a collective squirming mass of humanity crammed into a tight little tube. From your newfound vantage point up in the skies, you were able to get a better sense of just how tall the boy really was.

Even as the rescue plane began to make its ascent to the skies, far away from the anarchy below, not a single ounce of your body felt relaxed in any way. You were overwhelmed with sensations across the corpus of your psyche, each square inch a new ache or itch to focus on, leaving you near delirious. It felt like you were chained, your arms and legs bound by unyielding steel to the cramped economy-class passenger seat you were placed in, right next to one of the windows.

Your fellow passengers seemed to share the same sentiment; not a single person in the plane seemed content, an air of paranoia swirling and coiling all around them with an iron-tight grip. Men were fitfully darting their attention all around them like prey, women were torn between either bottling themselves up and fretting away the hours or screaming for even longer, babies were screeching their lungs out, children were fighting and fidgeting and tightly hugging their parents for dear life. No one felt safe, not in the slightest, and you couldn't blame them; you know exactly what they saw.

Not helping matters in the slightest was that for whatever reason, the temperature in the plane was absolute torture! A stuffiness beyond words, so overwhelmingly humid that you could feel sweat pouring out of every orifice of your body, was attacking you and every passenger on the plane from all sides. The air conditioning within the plane proved to be of no use, doing little other than blowing some fitful blasts of mildly cool air around every other minute.

It was absolutely suffocating.

The only thing that you could think of to actually take your mind off of everything was to attempt to get a view of whatever what going on outside of your window seat. Looking through the ovular plastic opening, you could barely see anything; for reasons that you could not even begin to comprehend, the air outside seemed...warped. There was no other word to describe it than that, as streaks of white and gray appearing to bend in unnatural curves no matter where you looked. Even from what little clear glimpses of the outside world you could see, from what you could tell all there was in the background was a pinkish tint that colored most of the sky, the rest being covered by an oppressively thick layer of clouds.

You had no way of telling where the hell the giant was; just that he was present. What little you did see, though, gave you the dark, ominous feeling that it didn't actually matter one bit where he was, or whether or not he was actually going anywhere near the city. Given how much carnage and destruction he was able to cause just through his mere presence alone, saying he wasn't going anywhere served as barely any comfort at all, a piece of twine trying to masquerade as a blanket. If nothing else, given how hopeless things were already beginning to seem, you wanted to wait just a little bit longer to get further up in the air, so that you could at least get a better impression of how tall the giant really was.

Eventually, the plane finally managed to break through the oppressive den of clouds, providing you with, at long last, a clear view of the giant. It was... you couldn't even hope to describe it if you tried. All you could tell was that it was a curved plane of skin, stretching across the horizon. That was it. All you could see was an endless wall of pink meat, presumably his toe, stretching out and up into the cosmos. You waited to get an exact bearing of what you were seeing as the plane continued to climb higher and the plane of skin continued to crest up.

And then the plane stopped climbing up into the sky and it continued to crest up

And up.

And up.

At 40,000 feet in the air, your tiny little plane was currently at the limit which most commecial airline would dare to fly.
It was at the point where the summit of Mount Everest would be clearly visible from above. Meanwhile, what you could only presume was the boy's little toe was still cresting upwards without end, going all the way up to some place somewhere in the mesosphere for all you knew, before it would finally break off into the gaping abyss that was the space below his toenail

Something in you proceeded to break at that realization.

That boy... whatever he was, he was far bigger than man could ever hope to comprehend. Calling him a mountain would be calling a pebble a continent. You knew now exactly why the air in the plane was so absolutely insufferable; you were still within the range of that... being's body heat! As time passed, the boy's mere presence was starting a chain of cataclysmic reactions throughout the world's atmosphere, his mere breath alone being enough to form gigantic hurricanes so strong and so massive as to tear the very Earth to shreds. His body heat was absolutely overwhelming, to the point where billowing cumulonimbus clouds, thousands of feet tall, were beginning to from form the evaporating sweat of his feet alone. Even something as simple as the pulse of blood flowing through the veins of the boy, causing mountains to crumble, as the repetitive seismic waves of his heartbeat flowed over from his gargantuan body and caused skyscrapers to collapse from miles away.

And then he leaned closer to the ground, his foot shifting just the slightest bit as he bends down to get a closer look at the surface

Not that you would ever know that; all you could see was the sky breaking apart at the seams as forces beyond your comprehension began to wreak havoc all around you.

Explosions sounds out from above as the sound barrier is broken several times over from the boy's lateral descent, continent-wide windstorms spreading outward from his leaning form throughout the stratosphere. Moments later, the foot makes contact with ground nearby, a wave of overwhelming seismic energy rippling out from his gargantuan size as the earth's crust is torn apart as easily to this giant as if it were a flimsy piece of paper to an ant. For a moment, the shockwaves seem to reverberate through the ground below, causing it to almost ripple like water before cratering completely from the impact. It wasn't just a mere earthquake at this point; it was a meteoric impact, the force of his weight bringing forth ever-expanding cones of earth and bits of viscous molten lava, heralding a new volcanic age as the planet seemed completely unable to handle the inordinate strain that it was being forced to bear. With just one slight adjustment of his posture, the enormous boy had reduced entire mountains and countless cities to mere reduced to mere mounds of rubble and dust; nothing more than an endless series of billowing grey clouds...

The sheer destruction caused by the boy's presence becomes ever more evident as a new mountain range is created, the tectonic plates shifted ever-so-precariously to accommodate his newest step. Combined with the massive displacement of air from his size alone, creating massive storms of violent wind and rain and lightning that seemed to swit around him, and it was clear you were not looking at a mere boy, or even a giant.

You were looking at a god. If nothing else, the heralder of the apocalypse.

Suddenly, a massive, miles-wide shadow comes racing towards your little plane. All you could see up above was a dull, shimmering gray, with a bit of a blue tint; yet there could be no doubt that what is now above you is a single eye, its iris and pupil taking up miles of the stratosphere. It's as though it's looking at the world through a pinprick in space. As the eye drifts closer, the plane is buffeted from the hurricane-like winds as it grows ever closer. Your plane begins to vibrate with the force of the sheer presence of the boy. His gaze still sees all of you even though he has long since eclipsed the sun. The sky seems to turn a dull, gray, and even though there is not a cloud in sight, the temperature drops dramatically. His mere presence is causing the sky to collapse due to the sheer pressure he creates.

As the extreme turbulence rocks your tiny little plane, the passengers all screaming desperately for their lives, you desperately tried to grasp exactly just how bit the boy truly was, if only for some sanity to comprehend the madness. But it was futile. 50 miles? 80 miles? 100?? Who could say how tall he truly was?

The answer was no one. No one could. Not a single one. He was a deity. An incomprehensible, unfathomable deity, their beginning and their end, whose mere existence, thousands of miles away and barely perceptible to the human mind, was enough to bring entire cities to their knees and bring forth the end of the world. Who he was or what anyone felt didn't matter. All that mattered was that he was inevitable. There was no escape. He was an entity beyond reckoning, a scale with no true name, an eye with no true face. That was all he was.

A single eyelid opens. Just a sliver, but the movement causes a shockwave, oceans of clouds instantly parted like fluff, a hole like the eye of a massive hurricane. As the eye stares downwards, almost like it was piercing into your very soul, the resulting shockwave shakes the world to its foundations, and a turbulence of unimaginable proportions erupts into being, causing your plane—and everyone on it—to plummet to the Earth...