- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


When Professor Juniper pressed the button, a newly-launched satellite high above the world shot a beam at the Hoenn region. Instantly the landmass disappeared and like a pokémon was digitized. All of Hoenn, with all its towns and cities, all its people and pokémon, was downloaded onto the Professor's computer. Like a pokémon, the Professor could rematerialize it any time she wished. But that wasn't all she could do. With this wonderful program she had created, she could edit the captured data however she wished, and this she proceeded to do.

A few minutes later, she directed the program to materialize the modified Hoenn—or rather, a copy of it, perfect down to the finest detail save for one little change: rather than reappearing in the middle of the ocean, in the roiling seas where tons and tons of saltwater still rushed in to fill the emptiness that its disappearance had left behind, Hoenn and all its millions of inhabitants now found themselves inhabiting a little Petri dish on the Professor's desk, small enough to fit in the palm of her hand.

It pleased Juniper to see that her invention had worked, or at least appeared to—she still had to make sure that there really were people down in that little patch of greens, browns and greys. She reached for an instrument like an exceedingly fine chisel, with a flat blade mere millimeters wide, thin as a sheet of paper and sharp enough to split hairs. This she brought over to the Petri dish and with it scooped up one of the little dots of grey sprinkled over the landmass.

Juniper carefully deposited the sample onto a glass slide and placed the latter under her microscope. A few seconds later, with the slide brought into focus, Professor Juniper could witnessed a small taste of the destruction she had wrought. Concrete and asphalt, broken glass and warped metal, chunks of earth and uprooted trees, people and pokémon, were all spread chaotically over the slide. Few objects and still less people had survived the transition intact— hundreds lay unmoving in the midst of all that destruction. Some, however, still moved, and that was good enough for her.

Switching lens for a greater magnification, the professor focused on a small group of survivors. “Can you hear me?” she said. The moment she spoke they clutched at their ears in pain. She tried again, more softly. “Do you understand my words?” This time she saw them turn towards her. Their faces were full of fear and shock, she noted, before dismissing the information as irrelevant. “Wave at me if you do.”

They were slow in reacting. After a minute, only a couple of them had done as she said, while the others shared looks with each other. Still, if those two could understand her, it was safe to assume the others did too—unless her first words had made them deaf. Either way, she noted her observations on the computer before turning back to the microscope for one more test. Moving the lens to give easier access to the slide, she dipped her finger in a glass of water and then held it over the sample. The water flowed down to her fingertip, where a drop of water grew, trembled, and finally divorced itself from the surface of her white latex glove, splashing onto the tiny patch of grey.

When she looked at them again, Juniper found some survivors swimming in the water like a bunch of microbes. They kicked their legs and flapped their arms trying to swim to the surface, but at their microscopic size they were wholly at the mercy of the minuscule water currents in that drop of water, to them a mighty lake. Even when they neared the surface, the water tension kept them trapped, pulling them back in right when it seemed escape was at hand.

A couple minutes later, the only movement was the aimless drifting of the water currents. The professor noted the results, then wiped the slide clean before turning to the Petri dish. After a moment's consideration she simply grabbed it and dumped its contents in the trash bin, knowing she wouldn't have to worry about anyone surviving the fall.

The first batch had been far from perfection, but it had served its purpose well enough. With the data she had gathered, Professor Juniper went back to her computer, altering the data of all the people captured in her computer before producing another tiny Hoenn to test.

First she focused on improving their physical resistance. Once they were hardy enough to better survive the transition to the glass slides, she further tested their resistance by seeing how well they survived an encounter with her fingertip—only when grinding down on the glass slide left behind no corpses was she satisfied with the results. By then she had to switch her method of disposal, and dealt with the imperfect versions by drowning them in the glass of water.

Next she focused on improving their survivability in fluids, until they could all stay alive inside in a water droplet for half an hour; then she had to change disposal method again, from drowning the imperfect versions to dumping them in a flask of acid.

Now there was just one more feature to program into them, though it was the hardest one by far. It took nearly two dozen attempts, but at last Professor Juniper had succeeded in making them perfectly obedient.

“Jump,” she said to her test sample, and through her microscope she saw all the people of Rustboro City jump at once. “Wave,” she said, and they did. “Slap yourselves.” Unflinching they all slapped their own faces without a moment's hesitation. It wasn't exactly how she had intended—she meant to make them willing slaves who would be happy to do whatever was asked of them, but the looks on their faces told her they followed orders against their will, as though trapped in their own bodies—but the end result was the same, so what did it matter?

Finally, after so many hours and who knew how many millions of imperfect Hoennians discarded, she had the perfect luxury beauty product—a whole region worth of obedient slaves who at a mere word would spend the rest of their lives living tending to their owner's skin, dealing with any and all blemishes and imperfections down to the cellular level, something no other product on the market could provide. There was no woman on Earth who wouldn't kill for one of these; all Juniper had to do was produce a few copies, sell them to the highest bidders, and just like that she'd be set for life, able to pursue the pokémon research that was her true passion without ever again having to go around begging for funds.

The professor sat back and smiled, looking at the Petri dish that was her ticket to success. It was well past midnight. She was tired down to her toes from staying up so late working on these little guys, but she had no regrets about it, though now all she wanted was some rest.

With a yawn she kicked off her shoes slipped off her socks, and while she enjoyed the air flowing between her splayed toes, her half-lidded eyes floated over the surface of her desk until they fell on the Petri dish. Then she started really thinking about its contents for the first time—the millions of souls she had ripped from the face of the Earth and reprogrammed to be the perfect little skincare product. How much of what was going on did their puny little brains understand? Had they realized their new position yet? And what did they think of her? Were they still looking at her? Surely they were. At their pitiful size, she must be the most impressive thing any of them had ever laid eyes on.

For the first time feeling curious about her “creation”, Juniper pulled the Petri Dish closer. Where in the earliest versions such a sudden movement would have razed all of Hoenn to the ground and killed off everything, now the little landmass survived the movement intact, though she had to imagined the little microbes down there were feeling rattled.

With the dish sitting near the edge of her desk, Juniper rested her hand next to it and started tapping on the desk, imagining what earthquakes those little specks beneath her must have been feeling right then. Surely they were greater than anything Hoenn had ever experienced before. Even the likes of Groudon couldn't have hoped to match the might expressed in but a single tap of her finger.

Then her eyes flew over to the glass slide still sitting in the microscope. She grabbed it and brought it close, holding it up right under her eye. Even just a few inches away, though, she still couldn't make out the microscopic slaves she knew to be standing in that little dot that was Rustboro City. If she hadn't already seen them for herself she would never have guessed their existence. What were they thinking right now, she wondered? What were they feeling? To find themselves under the gaze of an eye so huge they might have drowned in it if not for her reprogramming, held between a pair of fingertips that put to shame the greatest mountains Hoenn had to offer... Were they scared? Trembling in fear? Begging for mercy?

That last image tickled Juniper's fancy. “Kneel to me,” she said casually, secure in the knowledge that the specks would obey even if she couldn't see them—though now she half-fancied that she could, if only as a bunch of multicolored dots on the city's grey surface. Either way, she knew they were kneeling to her, like they would to... what? A princess? A queen?

“A Goddess.” She chuckled as the thought flashed in her mind. She, a Goddess? The aging Professor Juniper with her plain white blouse and green skirt, in her old lab coat and tennis shoes, with the bags bags under her eyes and her hair a total mess? She, who wanted nothing more than a nice cup of coffee and maybe few slices of toast to fill her stomach?

It was such an incongruous image. And yet, it was true, wasn't it? At least for these little germs. What other word could possible describe her relationship to them better than that? Hadn't she created them in a sense? Hadn't they been shaped according to her will? Didn't she hold their lives in her hands?

She really was a Goddess. Sure, only to little old Hoenn for now, but who said it had to stop there? She still had the satellite, the computer, everything. She could download any region she pleased and do to them what she had done to Hoenn, reprogram the whole world to serve her and her alone.

Of course, that was all just idle daydreaming—doing that would be more trouble than it was worth when she could simply make as many copies of Hoenn as she pleased—but it was thrilling to know that she could do it if she ever wanted. She had the power, she just chose not to use it.

But the power she held over these specks? That was another thing entirely. And as she glanced down at her own chest, she got a delightful idea. She tipped the little slide over and Rustboro City and all its inhabitants went tumbling down like so many specks of dust, falling off and right down the neck of her shirt, into the vast gorge between her two breasts. The city bounced off one and rolled down the other, sprinkling its minute inhabitants all over each of them before setting down right between them.

The two heaving masses bulged and wobbled as Juniper ran her hands over them, pressing them together, mashing the little specks between them to show off her power. “Live between my breasts,” she ordered them, their new world and indeed their very bodies resonating with the might of her voice delivering her divine command. “Clean them. Worship them. Love them. This is your new home, from now until the day you die.”
Releasing her new worshippers to carry out her commands, Juniper then turned to the Petri dish still sitting on the desk. Playfully she held a finger over it, admiring how much of Hoenn was blanketed by its shadow. Then she lowered it into the middle of the landmass, instantly flattening the mighty Mount Chimney and the lesser mountains surrounding it, leaving behind nothing save for a perfect fingerprint. She surveyed the destruction she had left behind, then the thin layer of dust remaining on her fingertip, dust which surely included at least a few of those little germs who had once been human beings. What would she do with these ones? This time it was the growling of her stomach which gave her an idea.

“If any of you survive,” she whispered as she held them all before her face, careful not to blow them away with her words, “spend the rest of your lives cleaning my mouth.” Then with grin she opened her mouth and lapped up the little specks, bringing them back inside to savor them.

It was funny; even though there was no flavor she could detect, simply knowing that there were likely thousands and thousands of people in that taste dust was enough to make it own head the most delightful thing she had ever tried. “Mmmm,” she muttered, shivering in delight as she swished saliva around before swallowing, having no clue whether any of the people were still in her mouth or not.

Then she turned her attention back to the Petri dish again—to those millions of souls still alive and terrified for their lives down there—those millions of living, breathing beauty products. Thinking about how to make the most of them before some well-deserved rest, she noticed the coolness of the tiled floor under her soles and smiled.

Juniper grabbed the Petri dish and, turning around in her chair, carefully set it down on the floor. Then she moved her feet beside it, wiping the sole of each on the back of the other before setting them down to either side of the tiny Hoenn, holding the dish between her soles. “Live on my feet,” she said. “Drink their sweat. Eat their dirt. For the rest of your lives. Worship me, and teach your children to worship me.”

Her command given, her feet rose over the Petri dish and her toes fell on the land of Hoenn, tearing through miles and miles of earth with terrifying ease. Mountains, forests, field and cities were caught under her sweaty skin while she took care to collect more and more of Hoenn each time, catching debris and survivors alike int he countless microscopic wrinkles and sweat droplets spread all over her skin, until all of the Hoenn region was nothing but the slimmest layer of dust covering her soles.