- Text Size +

03/09: I found this notebook when me and Kevin were looting a grocery store. For some reason, I had the urge more then ever that I wanted to start journaling. I always wanted to do it before, just never had the time or motivation to do it. Maybe I’m just doing this to get my mind off things. Or maybe, leave some sort of proof of my existence in case something were to happen. Kevin said that keeping this would be a waste of space in my backpack, but I decided to ignore his advice. I see him shaking his head as I’m writing this entry.

---

03/10: Since I decided to become a journalist, Kevin decided that I should do the morning scout routine so that I would have something to write about. Jokes on him, I like taking morning walks. I walked around our camp for about 30 minutes, nothing but abandoned buildings. When I got back, Tony, May, and Amy were already up.

Kevin decided on heading west for the day, since it had the most trees. It was a slight detour of our eventual destination, but we weren’t exactly in a rush to get there. We packed up our camp and started to head towards that direction.

Nothing really interesting happened for the rest of the day. We saw a sign for the city of Port Orchard, but Kevin said we need to stay clear of any cities, not enough cover and increase risk of finding a giant. We entered a small neighborhood, which is where we ended up making camp for the night. We all spread out, searching multiple houses. Unfortunately, Amy and Tony couldn’t find much. The houses I searched only had expired food, yuck. Kevin and May were able to find some non-perishables, so not a total lost.

---

03/11: The sisters decided to do the morning scout routine. They came back with no signs of danger. We decided to loot some more houses before we took off again. We went back into the forest and started heading north.

During our hike, we ran into a deer. Amy was awing over how cute it was. We were all keeping a safe distance from it in order to not spook it off before an arrow suddenly struck it. Kevin had taken the compact bow in his backpack out and was able to take a clean shot without any of us noticing. Amy, the nature lover that she was, yelled at Kevin for his heartless act, but Kevin defended the fact that they need to prioritize surviving. “Do those monsters think about our feelings before they kill us off?” he said to defend his actions. To avoid having to carry it with us, we made came camp so Kevin could take his time to harvest the body.

Anyways, that deer ended up tasting good.

---

03/12: It was Tony’s turn for the morning scout. Same old nothing. Amy was still, understandably, upset with Kevin for the previous night. Did didn’t eat a single piece of that deer meat. Neither did Tony or May, although I bet Tony ate some after they went to bed. I’m certain that Tony has feelings for Amy, they were a group when me and Kevin first met them.

We reached another neighborhood, and as before we looted some homes. One of which had a working generator, so we used it to charge our phones. The internet was down, but the ability to use it for navigation was still possible. For dinner, some of us helped ourselves to the leftover deer meat from last night. Amy, once again, look at Kevin in disappointment.

---

03/13: It was Kevin’s turn to do morning scout, and I decided to tag along with him to see if anything exciting happened. He somehow just knows where to look for danger. During our walk, I asked how much further we had until we made it to Canada. A couple more days he said, we would reach a town with a dock and we could scavenge for a boat so we could head to Victoria.

Kevin believes that the giants follow the same rules as zombies, that they do poorly in colder climates. While they might not be undead, they definitely aren’t surrounded in layers of clothing. Our scouting mission didn’t find us anything important, so we headed returned back to camp and made our way once more.

---

03/14: Once again it was my turn for the morning scout, even though I technically did it yesterday. During my walk, I found another deer. Luckily for it, I had no way to harm it. I did decide however to get close enough to get a picture of, thought maybe it would cheer Amy up.

When I got back, I did show Amy the picture. She hugged me and said thanks. “At least you’re not an asshole like Kevin there” she told me.

---

03/15: We were all awoken by the sounds of large footsteps, we could feel the shakes growing stronger with each step. Kevin, our fearless leader, climbed to the roof to get a better view of the direction of where the giant was heading. I waited, my heartbeat racing. Kevin came back, saying that we’re safe. She (the giant) was mindlessly walking in a straight line, and that we weren’t in her path. After about an hour, we barely felt the shakes. We decided to play it safe and stay at our camp for today and resume traveling. I saw Amy however hug Kevin and thanking him for making sure they were safe. I don’t think she’s that mad at him anymore.

---

03/16: Sleep was luckily peaceful this time. After our routines, we headed out and made sure the coast was clear. Speaking of coasts, we finally made it to a city called Port Angeles. While it did violate Kevin’s no city rule, it was a risk we had to take according to him as the alternative route would’ve for sure gotten us caught. We spent some time mindlessly wandering around the city until we reached a dock. There, Kevin began looking for a working boat that could hold all of us while we stood around keeping watch. It started to get dark when Kevin found a boat that worked.

Along the way to Victoria, we would see a green hue in the distance. Out in that direction would be the city of Vancouver. But, it didn’t look like the northern lights. No, it could mean only one thing, there was one of those meteorites nearby. We need to avoid that direction at all costs. Once we reached land, we quickly made camp.

---

03/17: Amy’s dead, it all happened so fast. We were all walking in the town when a giant suddenly appeared from the ocean. It shouldn’t have been possible, it was freezing cold. We watched as his titanic form emerged. Kevin called us back into to focus and we scrambled like ants. I took shelter in a post office. I felt his footsteps, it shook everything around me. He took a few steps, and then suddenly stopped.

And then I heard them scream, the giant had found Amy and May. I watched as they ran out of the cover and into the streets. I thought they had a chance to get away, giants were suppose to be slow. But this one, it’s movements should’ve been impossible. He swiftly bent down and grabbed for the sisters. I don’t know if Amy pushed May out of the way, but only she was grabbed. Instead of killing her right there, the giant stood up, and began to walk away. Kevin and Tony ran out of their covers and watched as he walked away. Kevin, the fearless leader, took out his bow and tried to shoot at the giant… to no success… we all watched… powerless to do anything, as we listened to Amy’s cries for mercy and May’s cries for her sister as the giant walked back into the ocean.

That night, we all sat in silence, none of us could sleep. We couldn’t even make it out of the town. We just had to hope that another giant didn’t show up. We all huddled around May. I didn’t know Amy well, but we survived together… and now she was gone.

---

03/18: As soon as we were all awake, we headed out. Kevin insisted that we get out as soon as possible. Away from any bodies of water. May was still barely in any condition to move. Me and Tony had to take turns either carrying her or her stuff. I could see Kevin’s annoyance on his face that May was bragging us down. I think he was almost ready to tell us to leave May behind, but had the heart not to. We didn’t get far, and had to make camp in the woods. I don’t know how much longer this group will last.

---

03/19: I was awoken by the sobs of May. The poor girl misses her sister. I wish there was something I could do, but I just don’t her that well. Christ, what did we do to deserve this.

---

03/20: Kevin’s at his limit, I saw him almost snap at May. I don’t know what’s causing him to keep it all in. Him and Tony got into an argument though, as Tony accused him of being a heartless bastard and a horrible leader.

---

03/21: May and Tony… they’re dead… what the fuck is going on? And Amy… how did she find us? Was it just pure chance? If so, what kind of sick jokes is this?

May woke us all up, said she saw a giant in the distance. She thought it was Amy, we all thought she had gone insane from the grieving. She ran out the door, Kevin told us to leave her, let her die on her own. Me and Tony ran after her… if only I had listened.

We followed May, the sound and the quakes of the footsteps growing stronger. When we reached her, she stood in front of the giant. To our horror, it was indeed Amy. But… it wasn’t our Amy. Her shirt was missing, parts of her pants were torn and she was missing a shoe. Her face, although I could barely see it, was covered scratches and bruises.

May was calling out to her, telling the giant Amy that it was her, her sister, all of their childhood memories. Me and Tony could only standby and watch as her towering figure just stared down at us. For a brief moment, I saw a reaction on her face. Maybe she remembered, for a brief moment, who she was, all the memories of her previous life, the time we all spent together, the love of her family. May thought she had gotten through to her, that was until Amy lifted her foot.

May stood there, begging for her sister to stop. We all tried to call out to her, but to no avail. Just as she was about to step on us, I was able to grab May and get her out of the way. The shock-wave of the fall sent us flying. Tony on the other hand, wasn’t so lucky. As I recovered, I could see the mangled body that belonged to Tony on the bottom of Amy’s dirt covered sock, a bright red stain that looked like ketchup on a white t-shirt. Then, I heard the screams of May, as her sister reached down to grab her. I watched as she brought May to her face, looking at her with cold dead eyes.

May screamed her lungs out, pleading for her Amy to let her go. Amy raised her hand… and began to pet May, with her giant finger, as if she were a doll. May started to calm down, as if she were put into some sort of trace. And then, snap, Amy had broken May’s neck. I watched in horror as it happened, equally as much when I saw Amy start to open her mouth. It took every ounce of strength left within me to get up and start running away.

03/22: I kept running, I had no clue where I went, anywhere from Amy. At some point, I had collapsed and passed out from shock and exhaustion. I was lucky to be alive when Kevin found me and brought me back. When I woke up, he didn’t say anything. He just handed me my journal and walked away. I didn’t know if I wanted to write what happened, to May, to Tony, and to Amy. How did she become like this? What did that giant do to her? If someone where ever to find this journal, or should I live to be able to hand it over, the accounts of this journal should help serve as a warning of the dangers that truly wander our planet now.

I saw Kevin outside, next to him, it seemed he had built three crosses.

---

03/23: When I woke up this morning, it seems Kevin had decided to part ways. I saw a note left behind, detailing why it was no longer wise for us to stay together. He had wished me luck with my survival. Just my fucking luck.

---

03/27: This is my final entry, I don’t if can continue this for much longer. To anybody who finds this, let my story serve as a warning of the horror this new world has created. May you have better luck then me.

- Joe Quinn

Chapter End Notes:

[Author Note: Thank you for taking the time read, please leave behind any and all feedback! Will try to reply as soon as possible.]