- Text Size +

A phone alarm went off breaking the silence within the dark bedroom as the pile of blankets heaped up on top of the bed began to shift in response. A long pale slender arm reached out from beneath the mound of blankets and began feeling around for the noisy device. Upon reaching the device, the hand retreated back to the blankets which raised further to reveal the face of a drowsy 21 year old girl named Anna. 


A few strands of her disheveled blond wavy hair fell down in front of her pale blue eyes as she squinted to look at the painfully bright screen. Letting out a groan, Anna flopped back on the bed sprawling her arms in an attempt to work up the energy to leave her cozy cocoon of blankets. Today was a day off so she really didn't have anything she needed to do, but at the same time she couldn't simply spend the WHOLE day in bed.


With a heavy sigh, Anna swung her thick shaven legs over the side of the bed and put on her favourite pair of pink fluffy slippers.


"I guess 'she's' home too today..." Anna thought to herself rubbing her forehead to fight off the headache that was starting to form. "Ugh, it's $500/month. Just keep telling yourself that."


Anna had been renting a room in this house for about 3 years now. The room wasn't anything special. It was an average size with average utilities. The house itself wasn't located in any prime neighbourhood nor was it an especially dangerous slum. The main reason Anna had chosen to live here had been the rent.


In an economy where $2000/month apartments weren't entirely unheard of, finding a place to stay for $500/month was a hard deal to pass up on. That being said, such an amazing deal was sure to have some catch to it.


"Ah, good morning Anna... Or good afternoon I guess I should say."


This... was the catch...


Anna entered the kitchen to see a black haired woman sitting at the kitchen table working on her smartphone. She wore what looked somewhere between an office outfit and an officer's uniform but for as long as Anna had lived here she had never learned what her job actually was nor ever seen her working. Her thick black hair covered one side of her face completely but it never seemed to hinder her vision at all.


This, was Zayla, the only other resident renting the apartment.


For the most part, Zayla was an alright roommate. She didn't make much of a mess, or make a lot of noise. She never complained when Anna made mistakes or have unreasonable demands. However, her personality was a little...


A chill went down Anna's spine as Zayla looked up from her phone to stare directly at Anna's feet. Her mouth curled into a big smile as she maintained her gaze for an unforgivably long time in spite of Anna's obvious discomfort. This wasn't the first time this had happened but Anna still hated it. At first she had thought Zayla had some huge foot fetish but it wasn't just limited to her feet. Sometimes Zayla would just stare at her... or things Anna had... as if there was some inside joke that only she was aware of.