- Text Size +

Melody and the wheel of Destiny

 1.     Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Prologue

It was a quiet night at possibilities bar. Quiet enough that Bozar didn't have any excuses when Stanley Charm and Dan Show showed up asking if he wanted to spend the night with them.

 

"So Dan are you still in this 'wheel of Destiny' racket?" Stanley asked.

"I am, but it's not a racket. I give people the opportunity to change their lives."  Dan replied.

"Gamble with their lives you mean. There's no telling how their lives will change when they spin that wheel of yours. At least at my Wishbone restaurant, people who order the 'Wishbone meal deal' get exactly what they wish for."

"And how much suffering has Wishbone brought to the multiuniverse?" Bozar asked.

"Hey it's not my fault that most people don't know how to wish properly. Besides I have it clearly posted that once you make a wish you can't take it back."

"But at your restaurant people get only one wish. I offer people more than one spin at the wheel of destiny."

"Has anyone actually used the wheel of destiny more than once?" Bozar asked.

"Several people have." Dan replied.

"Oh really? Give an example." Stanley Charm demanded.

 

Dan Show thought about it a moment, then said.

"Since you like GTS-Goddesses, I'm going to tell you the story of Melody."

"But I dislike GTS-Goddesses." Stanley protested.

'Then how come Wishbone has become a GTS-Goddess factory producing GTS-Goddesses left and right?"

"That's an exaggeration and you know it." Stanley replied.

"Are you going to get into a fight with Stanley or tell us about Melody?" Bozar demanded.

 

Dan sighed. Looked at his fellow Watan's and said.

"Once there was a girl named Melody Luck."

End prologue

Melody Luck hit the ringing alarm clock in irritation. She didn't want to get up but she had to go to work sooner or later. She got out of bed and looked in the mirror. A beautiful 25-year-old brunette with brown eyes and fair skin stared back at her.

 

Suddenly the earth began to shake. Melody ran to the window, already knowing what she would see. A few kilometres away an 1800-foot blond GTS-Goddess known as Megan Lewis was walking about. She avoided stepping on things as much as possible, but Melody could hear the sounds of buildings being crushed and people screaming. Then she heard Megan say.

"OPPS! DON’T' MIND ME. I'M JUST PASSING THROUGH."

"What an airhead. Easy to tell she was a cheerleader." Melody thought to herself. She felt that cheerleaders were stupid, especially blond cheerleaders. Then she wondered if her workplace was still standing.

 

In all it was a typical morning on GTS-606.

 

Melody worked for a restaurant/gift shop complex called Peggy's. To Melody's disappointment the place was still standing. That meant she would have to deal with Kayla Strong, manager of the gift shop portion of Peggy's and her boss.

 

Kayla was a tall strong redhead in her thirties who felt she was meant for much better things than being a manager of a gift shop. She was jealous of Megan.

"I should have been the one chosen to become a GTS-Goddess." Kayla moaned.

"But instead, they pick a cheerleader from Ohio of all places. There's no justice." Kayla ranted.

 

Melody was glad that Kayla wasn't a GTS-Goddess. Kayla had a mean streak and had a habit of making Melody feel like she was only an inch tall. The thought of Kayla hundreds or even thousands of feet tall with immortality to boot was enough to give Melody nightmares.

 

"Coming in at the last moment, are we Melody?" Kayla asked as she punched in.

"Give me a break Ms. Strong. I was lucky to get to work at all. You won't believe the traffic jams this morning. Megan must have damaged half the roads in town."

"I don't care if she destroyed your house. Your are to report to work a few minutes BEFORE your sift starts.  Failure to do so will result in your termination of employment here. Do we under each other?"

"Yes Madam." Melody replied. With her mounting bills, she couldn't afford to lose her job. 

"At least things can't get worst." Melody thought to herself.

 

A few hours later, things did get worst. She was on her lunch break when she heard the sound of cars being crushed underfoot and people screaming. Melody then rushed outside to see what the matter was. She was horrified to find her car had been turned into a pile of scrap metal. Then she spotted the giantess responsible. She was a 100-footer with brown hair and freckles. She was wearing a brown jumpsuit. Then Melody recognized her.

"Julia is that you?" Melody asked.

"It sure is. I've been a GTS-Goddess pet for the past two months." Julia replied.

While Julia was speaking, Kayla emerged from the gift shop to see who was scaring the customers away.

"You know this giantess?" Kayla asked.

"We went to school together." Melody replied.

"Back at good old Bay View High." Julia added.

"You’re scaring off my customers. Take a hike." Kayla ordered. Julia response was to laugh. Then she said.

"You're not my boss. Megan is and since she asked me to help her rule the Maritimes, you're going to see a lot more of me."

 

Kayla felt her anger rising. She wanted to strangle Julia. But since that wasn't possible she decided to strike at the other target in sight."

"Melody, get Julia out of here or you’re fired."

"But Kayla, just because I know her, doesn't mean she'll listen to me." Melody pleaded.

"Then you're FIRED." Kayla shouted.

Melody was stunned.

"You can't fire me." She cried.

"I can and just did." Kayla replied.

"But how will I get home? My car is crushed."

"Sorry about that Melody. How about I give you a lift home?"

"Um that's ok Julia."

"I insist." Julia said as she reached for Melody. Melody tried to back away but Julie grabbed her before she could get too far.

"Put me down." Melody cried as she was lifted into the air. But Julia paid no attention to her and instead starting walking away.

 

"Don't come back." Kayla shouted at the departing figures.

 

Melody watched the world pass by. She estimated she was about sixty feet off the ground, high enough for a fall to be fatal if Julia decided to drop her.

"Are you still living at your old address?" Julia asked after they had been walking for several minutes.

"Actually I moved to an apartment in Lakeside, a couple of years ago."

"Finally left home?" Julia asked.

"Yeah, but now that I lost my job I'm going to have to move back in with my parents."

"That bite's, but it’s not my problem." Julia replied.

"Not your problem? But you’re the one who got me fired."

"That bitch probably would have fired you anyway. Here's your stop."

"But this is the town limits of Lakeside, my apartment is over a mile down the road."

"Do you remember what your nickname for me back in high school was?"

"I called you Ms. Mischief. Why?"

"Let's just say I'm still at it." Julia replied as she placed Melody on the side of the road.

"You're not going to leave me here are you?" Melody asked.

"See you later Melody." Julia said before walking away.

 

Having little choice Melody began the long walk home. On the way she cursed God and her life. Then a half-mile down the road she saw a building she never noticed before. It looked like a casino and the sign on top said:

This way to the wheel of Destiny

 

Normally Melody stayed clear of casinos. But this one was different somehow. She decided to go inside.

 

The interior of the place wasn't like any casino Melody had heard of. There were no slot machines in sight,  just some tables and chairs and a wheel that dominated the room. At first glance the wheel looked like the wheel in the game show "wheel of fortune'. But instead of prizes, the coloured rectangles had symbols that made no sense to Melody. On the side of each rectangle was a flap. On one of the wooden flaps was a wooden handle.

 

"What is this thing?" Melody asked.

"It's the wheel of Destiny." A voice replied.

Startled, Melody looked up. Standing on the other side of the wheel was a man.  He appeared to be in his 40's. He was clean shaven with brown hair. He stood four inches taller than Melody.

"Who are you?" Melody asked.

"I am Dan Show. I am the keeper of the wheel of destiny." He then brought out his hand.

"Melody Luck." Melody replied as she shook his hand.

"Come have a seat Melody. I'll tell you what this wheel of Destiny is all about."

 

They took a seat at one of the tables and Dan began to talk.

"The wheel of Destiny changes the destiny of who ever spins it."

"Yeah right."

"Seriously. Currently the wooden handle is on your current destiny. Each rectangle represents a different destiny. Spin the wheel and your destiny changes to whatever rectangle the handle stops at."

"So just spinning that wheel of yours will make my life better?" Melody asked.

"Yes, but it can also make your life worst." Dan replied.

 

Melody paused, she didn't like her life, but she didn't want to make any worst.  Seeing that she was thinking it over, Dan said.

"Another thing to remember is that after you enter your new destiny, you will remember both your old life and your new life. That can be either a blessing or a curse."

"Sounds like spinning your wheel is a gamble. " Melody commented.

"True, but life itself is a gamble." Dan replied.

"Is there any way to tilt the odds in favour of a better destiny?" Melody asked.

"No. There isn't." Dan replied.

"Do I get more than one spin at the wheel?" Melody asked.

"Yes. But I really don't recommend it. Fate has a way of punishing repeat users of the wheel of destiny." Dan replied.

 

Melody walked up to the wheel.

"Do I really want to do this?" Melody muttered.

"Only if you really want your life to change." Dan replied.

"I do." Melody said as she spun the wheel. The sounds of flaps moving filled the room then all of reality changed. 

 

Melody found herself in the ruins of an apartment building. She appeared to be somewhere in the mainland north part of Halifax. She saw other people, but they paid little attention to her. Then off in the distance she saw Kayla, but unlike the Kayla she knew, this one was 2400 feet tall. 

Then memories of her new life came flooding back to her.

 

Four years ago it was Kayla Strong and not Megan Lewis that was chosen to become a GTS-Goddess. Kayla soon made herself boss of the world, treating everyone else like they were inferior to her, and destroying everything that offended her, including Peggy's.

 

Since the destruction of Peggy's occurred before she had the chance to work there, Melody and Kayla had never met, this meant that this Kayla didn’t have a personal grudge toward her.

 

On the other hand, Melody's new life was no picnic. She didn't have much luck with employers. And now she was struggling to survive and stay out of the hands of the GTS-Goddess pets.

 

"What have I done?" Melody cried. "I made things worse not better. I have to go back to the wheel of destiny and put things back the way, they were."

 

Melody managed to travel a few blocks before Kalya noticed her.

"Where are you going subject?" She asked.

"Leave me alone, Kalya." Melody replied.

"YOU DARE SHOW ME DISRESPECT?" Kayla shouted.

"Yes, because you weren't meant to rule this world." Melody replied.

"You dare question my rule? For that you will die."

Melody tried to run, but to her surprise, she found her way blocked by a 200-foot Julia.

"My goddess, I beg you to spare Melody's life." Julia pleaded.

"Why should I? There's something about her that just pisses me off." Kayla replied.

"She's a personal friend of mine. Hand her over to me and I promise you that she will never bother you again." Julia replied.

"Get her out of my sight." Kayla said.

Julia then grabbed Melody and left. When they were out of Kayla's earshot, Julia said.

"That was stupid of you Melody, provoking Kayla like that."

"It was stupid, but she wasn't meant to rule this world. Thanks for saving me back there." Melody replied.

"I think you're jealous that Kayla and not you were chosen to become a GTS-Goddess."

"I thought you knew me better than that Julia. I don't like GTS-goddesses. I don't even want to be a giantess."

Julia frowned, then she started to squeeze Melody.

"I would change your attitude if I were you."

Melody tried to reply, but she was being squeezed too tight. After a few moments, Julia loosened her grip on Melody.

 

"Have you learned your lesson toy?" Julia asked.

"Please Julia let me go." Melody begged.

"Why should I? I always wondered what it would be like if you were my toy." Julia replied.

"Because I need to use the ladies room." Melody replied.

"Oh all right, but be quick about it."

 

Julia let Melody off at a gas station in Lakeside. It had a convenience store attached. Melody went in the convenience store and then out a back door, leaving Julia standing in front of the service station.

 

After a few moments, Julia realized she had been tricked. She ripped the roof off the service station, but to her disappointment Melody wasn't there.

"You ungrateful little (censored). Just wait until I find you. You're going to regret running away from me." Julia roared.

 

Melody shivered with fear at Julia's words. But she kept on going.

"Oh where can the wheel of destiny be?" Melody cried.

"Looking for me?" Dan Show asked.

Melody turned around, Dan was standing at the entrance of the 'wheel of destiny".

"You got to help me Dan. I made things worst. I got to put things back the way they were."

"Sorry Melody, but unless you spin the wheel so it lands on the destiny you originally had, there's no go back."

"Ah ha. There you are." Julia cried.

"Any destiny is better than this." Melody cried as she ran to the wheel of destiny. Then she gave it a spin as Julia lifted the roof off.

"Your luck has run out." Julia cried.

"I hope not." Melody replied just before reality changed.

 

"Oh Melody."

Melody jumped at the sound of Julia's voice. Melody seamed to have been lying down on the ground. She got up to confront Julia. Then noticed something was very wrong. Julia was shorter than she was, a lot shorter. She didn't even come up to Melody's knees. Yet Julia looked like a giantess.

"Julia how tall are you?" Melody asked.

"About 150 feet tall. The same size you requested." Melody replied.

"I requested?" Melody said. Then the memories came flooding back to her. Four years ago, she was chosen to become a GTS-Goddess, an 1800 footer to be exact. Then she remembered that she was curious about what would happen if someone other than her had been chosen to become a GTS-Goddess.

 

While she was thinking, Rose Crusher appeared before her. Melody was surprised that she was three times taller than the famous GTS-goddess. (Melody had seen Rose back when Megan was a GTS-goddess)

 

"You’re a bit confused Melody". Rose began. "You just went through a simulation in which Megan Lewis and then Kayla Strong were GTS-Goddesses."

"But they were really GTS-Goddess." Melody protested.

"While those two women really do exist. They never became GTS-Goddesses." Rose replied.

"Look the wheel of destiny exists. I'll prove it to you." Melody then headed toward Lakeside.

"The wheel of Destiny?" Julia asked.

"It must be a plot device from the simulation. It doesn't really exist." Rose replied.

 

Melody ripped Lakeside apart looking for the wheel of destiny. But she didn't find it.

"It was right here." Melody cried.

"It never existed, now drop this foolishness and get on with the job of ruling GTS-606." Was Rose's response to Melody's cries.

 

Epilogue

"So now you know the truth about what happened on GTS-606."

"Do you expect us to believe your story? If it were true the GTS-Goddesses would be doing everything in their power to destroy you."

"But Stanley, they can't destroy me. So they try their best to cover up my existence." Dan replied.

"I think I have to go with Stanley on this one. The GTS-Goddesses always brag on how once a woman is a GTS-goddess, she's a GTS-Goddess forever, your story suggests that's not the case." Bozar pointed out.

"It wasn't the case for Megan and Kayla. And if my story wasn't true, how do you explain Melody's actions when she summoned Megan and Kayla to appear before her?" Dan asked.

"She remembered them from the simulation. She wanted to see what the real versions were like." Stanley replied.

 

The end for now