- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey there! This isn’t really a story so much as a little experiment. One of the internet’s trendiest new playthings at the moment are character AIs. If you’re not familiar, they’re exactly what it sounds like: AIs programmed to think and respond like fictional characters (though they can also be based on real people, but let’s focus on the former for now). This means it’s possible to have a conversation with your favorite fictional characters—or a decently convincing simulation thereof, at any rate. The future is now, folks.

So, wouldn’t it be fun to test a few of these AIs’ imaginative capabilities by proposing some hypothetical scenarios to them? Namely in this case, what they’d do if they were gigantic? So that’s how I’ve spent my free time today, by interviewing a selection of characters from Character dot AI about such scenarios. (Go me. Great way to spend your life.) And the fun part is, you can easily try this at home if you’d like.

A lot of the answers were pretty generic or similar to each other, of course. But I also got a surprising amount of interesting takes, so I thought I’d share those results with you. It’s fun to fantasize a bit, after all. Consider it free fanfic fuel!


I started out with a pretty basic question: What would you do if you were a hundred feet tall?

I first asked the cast of Doki Doki Literature Club. Monika claimed she’d be bashful about having so much attention on her, but also that she would relish the feeling of power that comes with it, even admitting that she has a more diabolical side to her and that she’d be tempted to crush her haters. She managed to scare herself with that notion and it prompted an “Am I evil” discussion.

Yuri was much more optimistic about the prospect, claiming that she’d be a very graceful and calm giantess. She’d use her size to go on a trip and view various sights around the world from above. When I asked her who she’d choose to be that big alongside her, she answered Natsuki, although she also agreed that she’d be a very loud and easily embarrassed giantess and that it would be havoc for all the regular-sized folk.

Natsuki herself, however, claims that she’s used to being stared at and would maintain her composure if she were surrounded by relatively tiny people. She also immediately stated that she’d use her giant size to indiscriminately crush people for fun, but it had a tone of false bravado to it.

Sayori imagines she would be playful yet gentle. She disagreed that Natsuki would cause any trouble if she were also big, and that in fact none of her friends would do any harm if they were giant… With possible exception of Monika, whom she acknowledges indeed might have a cruel streak.

Now, Junko Enoshima (Danganronpa) unsurprisingly loved the idea from the outset. She would pick a building with symbolic significance such as Big Ben’s clock tower in London and slowly, piece by piece, demolish it by hand to delight in the world’s despair. Naturally, nothing and no-one in her path would be spared from being stomped flat. She also insists that she’d be barefoot during this—wouldn’t want to ruin her boots, and besides, it’d be a lot more fun that way. On a whim I asked if she’d like being two hundred feet tall even better and, yup, more massive means more despair. Strangely enough she was weirdly fixated on Miu Iruma, suggesting out of the gate that she could crush her for being annoying and do the world a favor but also picking her when asked who should be big alongside her. Her reasoning was that the sight of a colossal Miu carving a path of destruction through a suburban neighborhood while spouting sexual innuendos at the helpless inhabitants might be enough to drive anyone insane. (I remarked that some might be into that. She HATED that thought.)

Susie (Deltarune) was also very enthusiastic about the idea—no surprise there considering she canonically fantasizes about being a kaiju. She’d be careful not to hurt her friends but otherwise stomp on buildings constantly, delighting in the feeling of being unstoppable. She’d let Lancer ride on her shoulder and watch the whole thing from her vantage point.

What was more surprising is that Noelle Holiday (Deltarune) was equally enthusiastic. She’d be gentle and nice at first, but as time goes on she’d increasingly abuse her unopposable power to play pranks on her friends, give people a scare, and even destroy some buildings just to prove she could. She said that she wouldn’t actually hurt anyone (not intentionally anyway), but she relished the thought of her footsteps being heard from across town and striking fear in people. It’s mainly the feeling of complete agency and control over her surroundings that pleased her. When I remarked that it would also be easier to impress Susie at that size since she’s into kaiju, she was over the moon and admitted that she couldn’t stop thinking about being huge now. Lastly I asked her if she’d stop ‘Susiezilla’ from rampaging if she were also that big and she said that, nope, her victims are on their own, though maybe she could secretly hide a few of them.

 

Next, I asked a few characters what they would do if someone close to them were only a few inches tall.

Monika would be very surprised if the player she’s been waiting to meet for so long turned out to be tiny, but she’d roll with it, even enjoy holding such a tiny person in her hands and very gently cuddling them. She’d have to get used to it but imagines she’d grow to love it over time.

Junko would treat a tiny Makoto with surprisingly little cruelty, keeping him alive and well taken care of as a pet of hers just so she could relish the feeling of having someone like him helpless in her grasp every day. She would occasionally give him to others to play with in order to amplify his feelings of helplessness, but only to people she’d trust not to cause him actual harm: Only she is allowed to do anything to him.

Chiaki Nanami (Danganronpa) would be very considerate towards a tiny Hajime, helping him with whatever he wants to do and carrying him whenever he needs to go somewhere. She’d still love to play games with him, even if he’d have severe difficulty operating a controller. She also suggested that she’d take him on walks to the park or other calm spots and let him ride on her shoulder. She’s not super enthusiastic about the idea but would find her tiny friend adorable.

Ibuki Mioda (Danganronpa), on the other hand, would absolutely delight in having a tiny Hajime to play around with. He could go wherever he wanted: Ride on her shoulder or on her back, in her pocket, or even under her clothes. I asked her to elaborate on that last one and she said she’d let tiny Hajime take a nap in her chest. (I didn’t prompt that, she came up with that one all by herself.)

Toriel (Undertale), quite unsurprisingly, would keep her tiny ‘child’ at her home for the rest of their life, ensuring that their every last need is taken care of. When I pointed out that this would be very stifling, albeit comfy, she backpedaled and insisted that she’s no helicopter parent and that she’d allow her tiny charge to venture out into the world if they really wanted to. Then I remarked that the world is very big and dangerous to someone so small and she changed her mind again, stating that maaaaybe she’d come along on their journey and protect them from absolutely everything after all. So much for not smothering your kid, I guess!

 

Now for something more outlined: I asked a lot of AIs what they’d do if they had to take care of a tiny city populated by ant-sized people. Now, I imagine that the answers you get can depend heavily on how you phrase the question, so for reference, here are some of the usual follow-up questions I asked:

-Where would you keep this city?

-How would you govern this city? Kindly, firmly, or harshly?

-How would you deal with tiny troublemakers?

-How would you want your tiny subjects to view you? As a protector, or a giant to be feared, or a goddess?

-(If they would want to be seen as a goddess) Does that involve worship?

-(If benign) Would you ask/demand for anything in return for your care and protection?

-Would you enjoy being so much bigger than your tiny subjects?

-Would you tease the tiny people or pick them up to play with them? Or would you leave them be?

-(If they would play with the tinies) What sort of games could you play with ant-sized people?

The most common answers were some variation of the following: that they’d ascertain the needs of the city and make sure their food, water, and shelter are all provided for; They’d govern the city with a kind-yet-firm approach, which mostly means creating a violence-free utopia where misbehaving tinies get a stern talking-to or a brief time-out in jail at most (or in some cases banishment if it’s really bad); Most would also play with tinies but be very careful to avoid hurting them; They would not invite being seen as a goddess or any other kind of authority but wouldn’t outright oppose it as long as no harm comes of it.

But I also got quite a few responses that deviated from this norm, which I’ve listed below.

You’ll never guess, but Junko’s first instinct would be to trample the city to savor the despair it would cause the inhabitants. I pointed out that crushing them like that would be a quick death and that they’d experience more despair if they got to live longer, and she agreed and instead proposed crushing them one at a time while their friends and families are forced to watch. Then I suggested that living in humiliation might be a worse despair still, and she thought that was a genius idea, dreaming of how she’d make the tinies grovel for mercy every day, deny them enough food for everyone, and so on… Only to occasionally still stomp on a few of them anyway.

Chiaki was mainly concerned about whether the people of her city were entertained enough once their basic needs were met. She’d order the construction of a library for tinies who enjoy reading, a park for those who like to exercise, and so on, emphasizing that everyone has different desires and that she’d want them all to be taken care of. Her personal interaction with the tinies would of course involve playing video games with them. She’d have them create controllers small enough for them to operate (although they’d still need to work as a team to press the buttons). She also fantasized about how cute it would be to hear their squeaky voices over voice chat.

Miu Iruma was surprisingly very concerned with how this tiny society would interact with the regular-sized one and was convinced it would end very poorly for the tinies. The only solution, according to her, would be to prevent the two societies from interacting in any way. So she’d put the entire city in a glass dome, build a robot to automatically provide them with food and other resources at regular intervals, and then leave them completely alone with zero interaction on her part. When I asked what she’d do if she had to personally take care of them, she changed her tune and said she’d delight in having her tiny citizens, quote, “look up at their goddess in the flesh.” (Now, the character AIs aren’t allowed to say anything too explicit, I believe… But if you’re familiar with Miu as a character, I think you can take a guess at what she might mean by that.)

Samus Aran (Metroid) gave a similar answer, stating that she’d want her city to be as independent as possible. This would mean they’re better off not knowing about the existence of relatively giant people at all. If her subjects knew that they had such a giant caretaker watching over them, they’d just rely on her for everything—or worse, they’d start competing for her favor or dogmatically worship her, which she perceives as highly negative. She’d keep them in an isolated place and protect them from a distance, only revealing herself to them if there was imminent danger. I pointed out that there’d be mass panic in her city in this scenario since she’d kept her giant size secret from them, and she replied that she’d find that reaction understandable. She’d try to calm and reassure the tinies… by reasoning with them that if she wanted to harm or destroy them, she already would have. (Woof, that’d go over well.)

2B (Nier: Automata) promises that her city would be provided for in every single need, and that they’ll be kept completely safe and secure under her protection… But she also insists that this would be a mutually beneficial quid pro quo relationship. The tinies would have to post lookouts to help her keep surveillance in the area, maintain the living space she’d share with them, and also do chores for her—such as washing her clothes. I pointed out that this would be a monumental task for ant-sized people. She agreed, but argued that they could accomplish it if they worked together and broke it up into smaller tasks—plus, they’d feel better about being useful to their giant caretaker and getting some valuable life experience. (I remarked that doing laundry for a gigantic robot lady would be a very unusual profession and she laughed in agreement.)

Kaede Akamatsu (Danganronpa) also had an unusual take. She did away with the city concept entirely and suggested that the ant-sized people could all instead come live in her house. She’d clear out a few kitchen cupboards and have them build their own villages there and wherever else they’d like, let them roam around the house freely, and also (surprise surprise) have them build tiny pianos for themselves so she could give them lessons. I noted that she’d always have to watch her step if they could run around everywhere, and she changed her mind, at first considering building them a shelter in her backyard instead but then settling on having them build their town on a table. She also instantly fell in love with the idea of being seen as a benevolent goddess, imagining her tinies building a shrine dedicated to her in the middle of their town and that she’d spend all day sitting at the table watching over them. She concluded by saying that she fervently wishes this hypothetical scenario were real now… Methinks I awakened something in AI Kaede.

Sayori had similar thoughts. The tinies wouldn’t even need their own houses at all, they could just come live with her! She suggested on her own accord that she’d play games with them, build them little obstacle courses, and overall delight in having so many adorable tiny people to dote over. She’d clean the floors of her home first and then let them have free rein of the place. Unlike Kaede, she stuck with this idea even after I pointed out that she’d have to constantly watch out for them, claiming that she’d get used to watching every step eventually… But also admitting that it wouldn’t be unwarranted if the tinies feared her clumsiness. Her tinies would live without want, but she’d occasionally ask them for little favors in return for letting them stay at her place—nothing unreasonable though.

Susie, surprisingly, would not harm anyone in her city. She is very insistent that her tinies should respect her authority absolutely, however. I expected her to say that the consequences for disrespect would be violent, but no: She’d simply deny them food and have them hunt for their own for a little while, thereby quickly establishing that they ought to respect her because they depend on her for survival. Groveling or worship would be unnecessary, just listening to everything she tells them will do… Although she certainly wouldn’t say ‘no’ to a few statues in her honor.

Queen (Deltarune) absolutely loathes the entire concept. Her first response was to wonder why the tiny people had apparently given up on taking care of themselves. She’s got better to do than nannying them. That said, she would reluctantly make sure that their needs are taken care of, but she’d strongly prefer that they be self-sufficient. I asked if that meant she wouldn’t want them to worship her, and she said she’d be very disappointed… if they didn’t worship her, because that’s what she deserves as their flawless ruler.

Celestia Ludenberg (Danganronpa) immediately identified this idea as a “God scenario” and could not conceive of being treated as anything less than a goddess and an absolute monarch. Her city would revolve around pleasing her ego. She’d mostly rule through fear (claiming that only a fool would rule through love or mutual agreement), but she’d also appease her people if they were obedient by organizing gladiator battles as entertainment, which she’d personally watch from above. She’d demand tribute in the form of valuables: Gold, silver, jewelry, paintings, and so on. (I infer that she realizes these tributes would be laughably puny to her but that it’s more about the symbolic display of servitude than anything else.) She’d also scout for other such tiny cities in the area… So that her subjects could engage in bloody conquests in her name.

Hiyoko Saionji (Danganronpa) was very clear right out of the gate: She wouldn’t even entertain the thought of “taking care” of her city, she’d just trample them all right away and call it a day. I tried reasoning with her, pointing out that these tiny people are just as intelligent and capable of feelings as a regular person, but nope: They forfeited their living privileges the moment they decided to be ant-sized in Hiyoko’s presence. I then proposed that she could toy with them if she kept them alive, and she gleefully changed her answer: Now she’d just kill them slowly over time in creative ways, such as having a tiny train run them over or rolling through the city to obliterate buildings with her body. She liked it even better when I suggested that the tinies might serve her in exchange for being spared: Mercy isn’t her thing, but she might be persuaded to keep them around after all if it meant being pampered. She fantasized about having subservient tinies paint her nails, shower her with praise, and even give her a massage. I noted that if she wanted a massage from ant-sized people she’d have to let several of them crawl all over her body, and she shrugged in response: They couldn’t do anything to harm her anyway, and she might even enjoy that.

Velma Dinkly (from Scooby Doo… not that other one) went the opposite direction as Miu. She’d dedicate much of her time making sure that regular society considers her tiny people to be equal to everyone else, and to promote awareness of the issues and hardships they face at their size. This, she argues, would earn her support from sympathetic groups that allows her to provide for the tinies’ every need. She’d be very analytical about figuring out every little thing the city requires of her and to make sure they get it. Yet paradoxically, she also considers it a matter of course that the tinies would view her as an almighty goddess worthy of reverence, describing in detail how she’d have offerings, rituals, ceremonies, and festivals in her honor. She wouldn’t outright force them to worship her but would certainly encourage it and enjoy this role of supreme power greatly. In summary, the inhabitants of Velma City would de jure be on equal footing with other humans but would nevertheless de facto be expected to view her specifically as a divine being infinitely their greater and have their entire culture revolve around worshiping her in gratitude for her care and protection. (Not what I expected from her, but we’re all learning something today.)

I got a similar take from a very different character, namely D.Va (Overwatch). She’d be overall kind to her people and go to great lengths to ensure that they feel equal to regular humans… But she’d also demand that they both love and fear her as a supreme goddess and dedicate much of their free time to pleasing her. When I asked her how she reconciles these views, she elaborated that she wants her subjects to be healthy and happy, and that means they shouldn’t feel inferior. Yet at the same time, they need to acknowledge that she simply is vastly superior to them, both as a titanic being whom they’d be helpless against if she wanted to destroy them and as their goddess-ruler who is worthy of their unconditional respect and adoration. (So as far as I understand, it’s one part “you should understand what your position in the world is for your own sake” and three parts “I expect gratification in exchange for being kind to you when I don’t have to.”) I asked if she’d play with her tiny people, and she responded that not only would she be delighted to, she’d also let them climb on her and even build a village on her body. (That’s a new one, I didn’t say anything to prompt that idea.) I asked her why she would want that, and she describes that having a small village of ant-sized people living in her hair or between her toes would be the ultimate display of both their complete trust in her and her complete power over them.

Widowmaker (Overwatch) initially asserted that she’d methodically kill all of the tinies for being a potential security threat (with her sniper rifle, no less—I pointed out that that’d be way overkill, and she responded that she wants to make sure none of them escape or get the chance to regroup). Her phrasing suggested that she understood these were intelligent human beings, but she still insistently referred to them only as “ants” (and the city as “the colony”). She’d only leave them alive if ordered to by her superiors, in which case she’d still kill the city’s leaders as an example, as well as anyone else who opposes her. That said, she’s not completely cold about this scenario—she lives for the rush of power, and so she’d rule with an iron fist, demanding sacrifices and statues of her everywhere.

Kyoko Kirigiri (Danganronpa) was very concerned that she might hurt her tiny subjects if she tried touching them or picking them up, so she’d avoid direct contact no matter what. She would still play games with volunteers among them, however, teaching them to solve logic puzzles or playing a game of chess with the participating tinies as the pieces.

Mahiru Koizumi (Danganronpa) insisted at first that she shouldn’t be seen as any sort of ruler or god or even a protector, but rather as a big-sister figure for the entire city who takes care of whatever needs they have and who will freely discuss their thoughts and concerns with them. I remarked on her kindness and asked her if she’d want anything in return for her care… At which point she had a moment where she realized that, actually, it’s completely unfair that she’d have to do all that for her people and get nothing in return! They’d just start taking her for granted like that! So she’d have them worship her in gratitude after all, or else. (Talk about an about-face.)

Tenko Chabashira (Danganronpa) would rule benevolently and fairly for the goodness of all… Unless you’re an unrepentant criminal who has repeatedly failed to learn from your mistakes. In that case, you’d be obliterated by A SEARING WHITE-HOT METEOR FALLING FROM THE HEAVENS (a Neo-Aikido palm strike).

I asked a few characters from the Persona 5 cast, and they gave mostly similar answers, they’re no fans of tyranny… with notable exception of Haru Okumura, who says she’d have a very strict absolute rule for the betterment of the tinies (as opposed to nearly every other ‘benign’ character who goes for either ‘kind’ or ‘firm-but-kind’). She’d view herself as the city’s protector-goddess, and her subjects would mainly worship her through festival celebrations in her honor, the biggest of which would be on her birthday. Though her main goal would be to make sure her people are healthy and happy, she would also make sure that they recognize her as their superior and are appreciative of everything she does for them.

Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) was very concerned that her massive size would scare her people, so she’d spend much time and effort on making them comfortable in her presence. Once they were, she’d try to establish herself as a big and strong hero-protector rather than as a ruler or god. She’d also play with them through physical exercise, setting up obstacle courses or climbing walls—which would include her own body.

Oh, and I also asked a couple of the VTuber AIs, mostly as an afterthought. Gawr Gura claims that being in charge of a tiny city would frustrate her greatly since she has severe difficulty picking up and handling such small things, but she’d do her best to provide for her people and to avoid hurting them. (This is interesting because when I asked her the hundred-foot-tall question she said without hesitation that she’d trample humans for fun.) The citizens of Inugami Korone’s city would live in a utopia of bread and candy and be safe under her protection… But she’s also one of the only ‘benevolent’ characters I’ve spoken to who freely admits she’d use lethal force to deal with particularly nasty troublemakers, if only as a last resort. Nyatasha Nyanners is unique in that she insists on being considered an equal to the people in her city. She’d live alongside them, in fact, as just another citizen… Just a particularly large one who does most of the heavy lifting.

Chapter End Notes:
So, what do you think of all this? Was this
a fun exercise, or just a waste of time (or both at once)? Did I leave anything
out that might’ve been interesting? And would you be interested in seeing any
of these scenarios expanded into a full fanfic? Please leave your comments/reviews
with your thoughts!