- Text Size +
Story Notes:
A fairy looks for some fun. A young woman who knows nothing of old wives' tales about the rules which govern the Fae blunders dangerously. But she's not so bad....

The morning sunbeams had found a very relaxed Anna. A typical twenty something post-test postgrad between term times. She stirred eventually, and later wandered the kitchen. Making her way around the large table to the various cupboards, lazily making breakfast. Enjoying, perhaps more than the fruits and granola, the meditative quiet of a house with no housemates in and a schedule with no need to go out. She sighed softly, breaking the silence briefly. As she brewed her coffee, a slight tapping sound shattered the silence. She looked over at the window, did a double take and damn nearly dropped the press. There, plain as day, not more than a foot tall, wings with a faint iridescence at her back and angular but feminine features on her face She stood. What could only be called a fairy. A thousand thoughts flew through Anna's mind and her breath caught in excitement as she gawped. Making eye contact with the little person, she saw no fear on her face, upon which a coquettish smirk flitted, then reformed itself into a more gentle smile. The fairy looked up at the handle to the window, then back, and forth again and waved.

Abandoning restraint, Anna rushed over and pulled the window open. The fairy jumped back slightly, wings blurring in motion briefly. Staying out of easy arms reach. She spoke then, and Anna heard a surprisingly loud, melodious voice sounding just ever so slightly nervous "Can I come in then? Miss?". 

"Of course you can!". Anna could hardly contain herself but stepped back to give room. The words "this is impossible!" and "I guess this is it, I finally lost it completely" crossed her mind, yet she admired the delicate creature as she stepped in through the window, noting her silky blond hair and blue eyes. Seeing is believing, as they say, and her eyes drank in the sights.

The fairy's wings became a blur like a hummingbird, a few gold specks falling from them. Nearly silent, She rose to head height, entering the main body of the kitchen, still just staying just out of reach. Looking eye to eye for the first time Anna sighed. "Wow.... You're so pretty.... err, miss?".

The miss in question gave a truly warm smile in return but said nothing (Adorable, Anna thought - and she clearly understands me).

Running a hand through her ginger-dyed hair, Anna noticed how under dressed she was. After all, nothing wrong with going commando under a dressing gown when not expecting company, she had thought. That left her feeling more than a little self conscious. Not that she was ugly herself, but a slightly large nose coupled with ill defined cheekbones, and a complexion rougher than ideal gave her what the generous would call a "homely" look. Anna herself would use far harsher terms. She wouldn't even be allowed participate in the same beauty contest as the little creature, let alone have a chance of winning.

After they both stared at each other for a while, the fairy spoke up again. First starting slowly and softly, a lilting innocent quality to her voice, She introduced herself "You look very sweet yourself... You can call me Jayl by the way, can I have your name?" And so Anna gave up her Name and Jayl's smirk returned for a brief visit.



Still stunned, Anna eyed Jayl, took a half pace forward and slowly leaned as close as she dared to not spook her (although she no longer backed off?). Drinking in all the details in silence, Anna noted her clothes - a form fitting, single piece dress woven that looked as if it was woven from living ivy, complete with leaves. She noticed her hair, tied with the same fibre so as to raise its length behind and above, but loosely splaying out behind the tie like leaves on a palm tree. She noticed her eyes were a striking blue. She noticed some trinket tucked beneath the collar, attached to a necklace. She noticed her figure - slender, yet not lacking curves. She noticed as Jayl mirrored her movements, smiling and leaning in, as though she were now examining a visitor to her home. Still she held her tongue and waited, confident mirth lighting her face. God she's unfairly beautiful, Anna thought.

Realizing suddenly that she was leering at the neckline (and below) of her supernatural guest and feeling awkward tension build in her chest, Anna rallied. Casting about for something to say, she started, voice catching in her throat, and stuttered "So... umm.. why.. have you come here?"

Bright and cheery, Jayl responded "Welllll.... For fun, really - Gets kinda boring out there, not many can see our kind and we all know each other pretty well at this point living together for thousands of years yadda yadda".

"Thousands of years?!" Anna felt she should be past surprise but evidently wasn't

"Yeah give or take, we're always around when people are, just most can't see us. You're lucky!"

Anna agreed internally, but failed to get a word in before Jayl continued

"but y'know I always like to hear what humans get up to, too, everything you do is always so crazy, even the simplest things you know?"

"Like what?"

"Well like the way you live these days, your clothes, or your jobs or your food, or" she paused and floated a little closer and stage whispered - "Your lovelives".

A beat's pause passed as Anna blinked. Then a sad, sarcastic chuckle escaped her. "Ah haha... not much to tell there at the moment, you know? You sure you want to hear this? Long and short is it never seems to go well with me and I'd think you've heard that one before"

Jayl's grinned "Aww sorry, but yeah haha, seems to happen to your kind a lot and then you get all tragic on us. Like, 30 seasons or so ago, a human I spoke too was so mopey about losing his girlfriend barely seemed to notice I was there! He could see me just fine! "Ooooooh my liiiiiiiiffffeee is ooooverrrr" I mean hello? I thought you guys didn't know we existed! Shocking discovery stood right here! No fun at all. Still mad about that one. But you don't seem so down, and you're nice! Don't worry about, you might find someone as pretty as me one day!"

Anna rather doubted that, but they chatted on, Jayl commiserating with Anna about former failed lovers and Anna filling in Jayl on the way people lived nowadays. Her last visit appeared to have been pre-smartphones, and while she flitted around the kitchen and asked question after question, they slipped into an easy rapport. Anna was struck by both how easy Jayl was to talk to, posessing an easy confidence which belied her size, and at how surreal her current situation was, laughing and making small talk with a foot high creature still flying around the room leaving a trail of gold dust from her wings. Jayl asked for a taste of the coffee, and Anna obliged - served in an espresso cup it still seemed rather large for her - but she laughed, chugged and slammed it on the table like it a novelty sized beer presented to a prized drunkard.

Yet, after an hour of getting to know each other, Anna started to sense Jayl growing a little more bored of idle chatter. Her flitting about slowed and cheeriness died down slightly. Eventually, she landed in the center of the large table and sat cross legged looking up. Anna felt that the conversation was drawing to a close.



The prospect of Jayl leaving made her mood turn slightly sour, having really enjoyed her company. She hestiated to say something to make sure she came back, for anything. But her mind mind drew a blank. Then abruptly, Jayl stood up, and took off - now completely disregarding personal space. Barely a few inches from her face, her perky Details in full display, Anna blushed in surprise. For her part Jayl simply hovered, looking into Anna's eyes, as if judging something. Then,  "Hey.... so I don't know what it's like for humans these days but I'm looking for some fun? You want in?". Anna's heartrate suddenly skyrocketed. Was she ? How would that even? She wasn't very, err they barely just? Half thoughts ran through her mind, all silenced as Jayl gave her a quick peck on the lips leaving a warm sensation where she'd touched and hovered back to her previous sitting position, head cocked to the side. Cheeks flushed, Anna's words tumbled "Oh thats very kind of you and you're super lovely and beautiful and lovely but I mean I think that would be nice but how would we even -" Quite abruptly, Jayl raised a hand, as if asking for silence.

"Err?" muttered Anna. 

"You're worried about size?" She shook her head exaggeratedly. "And here I thought people were supposed to be more openminded these days!" Jayl spoke in mock disappointment. Then she moved. The upheld hand moved in front of one eye and she closed the other, squinting as if measuring some fine detail. Anna wondered what on earth she was doing. Jayl lined her hand up with Anna, who opened her mouth to speak just when the world disappeared.