- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Short little thing I did to accompany a render I did. Render can be viewed here: https://www.deviantart.com/inwiththebooks/art/Miko-922181494

Adela dodged left, bubbling and hissing acid passing her face so closely she could smell the foulness from it. The magical blast of corrosive ichor splashed against the wall behind her, eating away at stonework almost immediately. She was already sprinting forward through the dimly lit crypt, her sword gleaming in the flickering torchlight. Before her the lich that had conjured the spell sneered at her with half decayed lips, raising hands as cold as ice up to prepare another spell. A battlecry escaped her lips as she lunged forward. 


The lich was cut off from its spell mid cast, a scream of pain echoing out as her blade impaled through the undead creature and blazed with holy light. A savage grin curled upon Adelas lips as the lich vainly tried to grope at her, its hands death to flesh but little use against her armor. The fumbled spell however still had motes of arcane power lingering in the air and the air started to warp around Adela. 


“Wha-?” 


The air flashed a brilliant white and then it felt like everything the young warrior woman was turned inside out. A scream of pain escaped her lips as she felt like she was being pulled and stretched and torn by a current of pure arcane energies. The lights around her were pulsing a brilliant splash of rainbow colors, a dizzying blur of sight and sensation. She felt like she was falling for ages. 


And then all at once it stopped and the next thing Adela knew was she fell flat on her back upon a hard floor with a grunt. A groan of pain escaped the woman as she laid sprawled out, incapacitated for a few moments, squeezing her eyes shut as her head was throbbing. Nausea was overtaking her in a wave before subsiding. It resembled the first time she had used teleportation as a form of travel. 


Then she sat bolt upright, her hand reaching and groping around for her sword only to find it wasn’t there. The blonde looked around and found… there was no lich either. In fact she didn’t appear to be in the crypt anymore. The space around was rather well lit by contrast and… open was the only way she could describe it. Like an endless plane of some kind. She gazed up and the sky was above her with what seemed to be a sun but it was… different. A brown sky far above and not a single cloud and the sun was shaped oddly. Adela squinted her blue eyes, the pale northerner wincing and looking away from the bright light after a moment. 


There was also another issue. She wasn’t just unarmed… she was unarmored as well. Completely naked as the day she was born, exposing a number of blue tattoos across her rather toned and defined form. She let out a snort. Of course the damn spell would have not only flung her to gods only knew where but also strip her of everything. When she got her hands on that bag of mystic bones she was going to powderize him. 


“Not your first time on another plane.” She reminded herself. Her companions in the crypt were probably already working out a way to find her and get her back. She just had to stay calm. 


The warrior woman started walking and taking further note of her surroundings. There were… structures. Vast towering structures. And the floor was rough, not like ground but almost like it was artificial. Made of something. It was hard to make out much in the distance as well, almost blurry from the sheer distance between her and everything. Adela was trying to piece out *where* exactly she was when she felt something. 


It started faint, almost something that could be dismissed as a trick of the mind. Then it grew more and more intense. A shaking, the ground moving as though a grand quake was rolling through the land. Adela wobbled and waved her arms around as she was just struggling to keep her balance while the shaking grew worse and worse. It was stronger than any marching army and soon enough came with a loud series of booming and loud thumping noises. Each one was more intense than the last and eventually the mighty warrior found herself falling over onto her rear. 


“What is… o-oh… oh gods *what* is that?” 


Adela went from bewildered to white as a sheet as the cause of these quakes became very apparent quickly. Emerging through a vast enormous doorway from somewhere beyond Adela’s sight was a towering, monolithic woman. She was dressed in red and white, silky dark hair pulled into a tight ponytail behind her head. There was an exotic quality about her that Adela had never seen before. Her scale was just… everything. Adela was an ant compared to her, perhaps even less than that. 


White fabric clad feet thumped along the floors of what was easy to deduce now as essentially an incredibly large building, the woman moving with purpose. Her steps came closer and closer to Adela but it was clear her path wouldn’t see her trample her. Air kicked up from the impact of her steps though was a hurricane gust of wind as a wall of white fabric smashed down ahead of where Adela was standing, the warrior sent tumbling back by the sheer force of the air produced by her steps. 


The woman hummed to herself as she approached one of the structures that had towered over Adela, running a cloth over clear glass. Display cases? Seemed like it. Was this woman a servant of some kind? Whatever she was Adela needed to get her attention and not get caught in her idly movements. The blonde was a mighty warrior certainly. But at the scale difference, dragons would have been naught but beetles for this godlike woman to squash. 


“Hey! HEY! Down here!” The blonde screamed. There was no way she could have heard her. She waved her hands as she tried to run closer. 


The human eye was far more perceptive to movement than most would have expected. While Adela couldn’t be heard necessarily, her movements were clearly glimpsed out of the corner of the monolithic woman’s eye. Her head turned in the heavens above and she was clearly looking right at Adela running across the floor nearby. A sharp eye to be certain, definitely some kind of a servant. 


“Thank the Gods, l-look I dunno who you are but I ended up teleported here and-”

A loud thundering noise from on high bid Adela let out a hiss of pain and clamp her hands over her ears. It took a moment for her to realize that the thunder was the woman speaking. Her lips moved and foreign words fell like booming thunder that rattled Adela to her bones. She winced as she realized that it was possible this woman literally didn’t speak her language. That was… tricky to say the least. 


She gazed skyward again and when she did her blood almost turned to ice. The look she was getting from the woman was… not friendly to say the least. In fact there was vague disgust in her eyes as she looked at Adela below. There… there was no way she could mistake her for a bug right? Definitely not, she looked human, even from that distance she’d be able to recognize that. So why the look? 


“Uhhh, okay look I dunno who you are but I’m harmless! Totally harmless! What am I gonna do, punch your socks?” Adela held up her hands and showed she was totally unarmed. 


More thunderous words from on high, these ones sounding rather… annoyed? That tone definitely sounded annoyed. Not good. Adela opened her mouth to try and explain herself again and then her mouth went dry and her heart felt like it would stop. Slowly, with a whisper of fabric from her red skirt, the woman lifted her foot up. A tabi clad foot soared overhead, swallowing up most of the view Adela had of the ceiling. A dense inescapable shadow fell over her. 


Then she saw them. They wouldn’t have been possible to make out before but now that the foot of the woman was poised above she could see them. Pinned and compressed to the bottom of her foot and tangled in fabric were two very human forms that were absolutely the same scale as Adela. Dead, without question there. Soft as the fabric probably was, there was no surviving long being trampled by a living mountain. 


Adela took off stumbling into a run as her animal instincts took over, screaming her head off as the servant looked down at her with vague disdain. Like she was some irksome fly she had found in her soup. It wasn’t hatred, that was reserved for equals, it was disgust. Disgust that saw her foot smash down atop Adela without a single moment of hesitation. 


In an instant the blonde found herself smashed firmly under the mountain of the woman’s sock clad foot. Unfortunately for her, death wasn’t instant, though her bones absolutely shattered on the impact. She had moments to enjoy the pain of being compressed bit by bit. Seconds felt like agonizing minutes as her broken body was tangled up in fabric just like the others that were adhered to the bottom of the tabi. Death was not fast enough for Adela. 


__________________________________________________


Raika frowned as she firmly pressed down upon the little creature underfoot, making extra certain she had exterminated the pest. There wasn’t an ounce of mercy in her eyes as she did it, only vague irritation that this was the *third* one today. The third one. She let out a sigh as she ran her fingers through her hair and looked up at the ceiling. The Miko was pretty sure the shrine had befallen some minor curse. 


“Little demons appearing from thin air, what kind of a curse is that? An irksome one.” Still, many minor demons could become bigger demons. This was well known, so it was important to exterminate any demons no matter how small. 


The woman tucked some of her bangs behind her ear and stepped out of the room to inform the head priestess of this next run in. As she stepped away the form of Adela could be glimpsed from below, little more than dirt clinging to pure white fabric. Fated to fall away and be trampled or buried in the dirt outside the shrine. An ignoble end for a warrior such as her, and one that the Miko didn’t even pay mind to as she carried about her duties for the day.