- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is my first story on the site, but I've lurked around for a long time. I wanted to give something back to the community, and hopefully some of you enjoy it!

Author's Chapter Notes:

I’ve been playing a lot of medieval-fantasy games recently, so I guess that writing a fantasy story has been on the mind a lot lately. I used to write a lot of fantasy in roleplays, but I haven’t ever really sat down and written a story before. After much thought, I figured I’d give it a try. Hope you enjoy!

Jacob took odd requests before, but nothing like this. Being a pirate meant smuggling goods was a common job. Illegal liquor, contraband weapons, bootleg exotic goods, and even the occasional traveller. None of these quite compared to the task before him. Sure, the pay was good, but he didn’t like carrying larger goods.

Before Jacob was one of the most massive beings he’s seen in his life. The two of them were in an empty field, the giant idly tapping their foot as he approached. Each step shook his world more and more as he finally made his way to their boot. The sounds of metal rattling filled the air as they let out a sigh, carefully making their way to a seated position in front of him. Taking off their helmet, Jacob was greeted with a surprisingly familiar face.

Anna Luxam was probably the most famous knights of recent time, daughter of some important noble from the north. It must’ve been a joke, right? Why would someone like her need him to escort her? Things didn’t add up, yet here she was.

“Hello, little one. I’m guessing you’re the one who signed the contract?” She spoke in a hushed tone, trying to not draw too much attention to their meeting. As if there wasn’t one of the most popular faces in all of the land taking cover in an open field. “I guess you weren’t really expecting me.”

All Jacob could manage was a confused nod, looking around to see if this was some sort of trap. The king’s army couldn’t be here right? He didn’t see a mountain range of armor approaching, so it seemed safe. Though, he doubted Anna would need any extra help with someone like him. “I guess I was expecting someone… smaller?”

The following giggle rattled his bones as he shivered. “I’m sorry to disappoint then. Though, the pay is definitely worth it.” She was right. The pay was nothing like he’d seen in months, and his stomach grumbled at the thought of being able to eat fresh food for once. Her expression flattened out as she looked to the distance. “I wish to leave the country. I was told you’d be able to help me; you’re apparently the best in the business.”

He almost burst into laughter. Him? Help her? Best he could currently do was throw a large blanket over her and pretend she was a hill. Why would someone like her wish to leave the country? Fame and fortune thrown away, for what?

“I know you find it absurd. I can see it on your face.” She let down her blonde hair, untying her ponytail. “But you know the land. I’ve spent most of my life as a soldier, I want to see the world.”

“This has to be some sort of a joke, right? Where’s the rest of your unit? I would think I’d remember signing a contract from someone of your size.”

“I doubt you could even pick up the quill, much less sign it.” It seemed she didn’t appreciate his comments. “But you did. I sent a messenger of your size. It seemed much more appropriate.” Her shadow grew over him as her hand pinned him against the dirt. Her sincere smile had since long been replaced with a cold frown, the expressing cutting like daggers through his soul. “I’d like to get moving soon, though. As enjoyable as our little chit-chat was, the guard will start searching in a day or so. And you signed the contract, no ifs ands or buts.”

She pushed down against him slightly, the air leaving his chest as she almost carelessly threatened to crush him if needed. The pressure released, her digits slowly closing in on his dazed body as they familiarized him with its somewhat comforting, but tight grip. “I’m going to have to put you somewhere safe for now, so don’t make too much noise, or I will make sure that you rot in prison for the rest of your life.”

She brought her other hand to her lip, carefully thinking, smirking, prying off her boot as she dangled him over the entrance. Heat wafted upwards from the makeshift prison inside. The humidity was almost unbearable, almost tangible enough to cut with a knife. It took a moment longer, but odor hit him the hardest. It was clear these boots accompanied his client for many battles, and that they would be with her until they fell apart. “I’d say I’m sorry for this, but until you’re a bit more agreeable to what you promised, you’re taking the trip beneath me. Get acquainted.”

The plummet was fast, his body hitting the insole as leftover sweat splashed against his body. He didn’t have time to argue as the light left his world, the socked sole slipping inside the boot, sealing his fate.


Chapter End Notes:

Let me know what you think! If you want to give more direct feedback, I’m trying to be more active on Twitter, you can find me at https://twitter.com/sylphgrimm/.