- Text Size +

 

"Bzzzzzzzt"


The TV was numbing, you barely react to your phone’s notification until you notice who it was from.


The text was from your one and only aunt, Amelia. It was the day before Halloween and your auntie needed you to help clean the house for her Halloween party.


You usually had to find any excuse to even visit your aunt, but today she was the one who called for you.


Already your mind raced to a sweetening thought that made your heart beat with excitement. This would be perfect for you because this could be an opportunity to explore her bedroom without worry of being questioned.


You gladly accept your aunt’s invitation and prepare to head out.


You bike your way to her house with a hefty backpack pushing against you.


None of this was new as you usually carried your backpack around for convenience. Your aunt only questioned it once and that was it.


Before you even knocked, your aunt opened the door and greeted you.


“Wow, you got here fast. Need something to drink?” Amelia tilted her head with concern.


Although clearly short of breath, you said, “no... I'm good… I’m ready to start cleaning.”


Even through the pauses of deep breaths you sounded way too eager.


"Heh, alright, just don't make my house crystal clear, I still want some privacy." After she humored your enthusiasm, you were set to clean.


Your aunt was downstairs cleaning while you volunteered to take care of the rooms upstairs.


Without hesitation you head straight towards your aunt’s room, stopping right at the entrance. The room you longed to go in felt forbidden. You set your backpack near the doorway and walk in as thrilling shivers dance across your body.


You searched the master bedroom with your eyes fixated to the floor, but you didn't find what you’re looking for.


That’s when you then check the closet but quickly find it to be locked.


Disappointedly you scan the room once more and in the master bathroom you spot it, a pair of ruby red slippers with fluffy gray insoles.


You never thought you’d actually see your aunt's footwear alone and without its owner. For so long it annoyed you the fact she would never, ever once take her footwear off, and just leave it there in the wild for you to stumble upon.


The bright red slippers grabbed your focus and didn’t let go. They beckoned you and you followed.


The insoles which you thought were gray were in fact white, well, at least they used to be. The proof of their original color was still there in the edges of the insole, but the rest of it was faded by constant use. That didn’t bother you at all, it only excited you further.


You gently grab one of the slippers trying to stay as quiet as possible, even though there was no way your aunt would be able to hear you.


With ease you push the fluffy exposed insole to your nose and take in a fulfilling sniff. Although you weren’t naive, you knew fulfillment wasn’t real. You had to have more of it, the smell of your aunt’s sweat and grime, which burned your nostrils ever so slightly.


This was a once in a lifetime moment for you, saddening but true. You knew what you had to do.


A good rush pulsed through your body as you thought up a new little scheme. Without thinking you take your aunt’s salty delights and stuff them in your backpack.


The rest of the day dragged on and the anticipation of going home to enjoy your stolen goods wasn’t helping. 


Eventually you made it through the end of the day, your aunt was already starting to put up a few Halloween decorations.


You stay back sneakily watching her as she stood on a chair to be able to reach. She was on her tippy-toes and still struggling to hang up some fake cobwebs.


You got to witness every inch of her soles without having to look avert your eyes every millisecond. A few lucky dust bunnies avoided the bin and stuck to her soles like glue yet that didn’t taint the beauty of her feet. They were divine to the least and it was just so effortless to visualize those perfect feet within the red slippers you snatched.


You break from your trance and go over to see if she needs help sticking up that tricky clump of cobwebs but before you could offer to help she tells you can come back tomorrow and put up the rest of the decorations while she concocts some wickedly creative dishes for the party.

 

You don’t mind helping out again tomorrow in fact you expected to.