- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

Author's Chapter Notes:

Something of an experiment inspired by a conversation I had with a friend. Just a quick little thing, but features some chars and ideas from the Legend of Zelda Series - Enjoy!

 

-------------

 

It was near the mid of night that the wooden floors shook with thunderous might. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! 

One after another; great enough to make the walls tremble and cry, and growing greater each time. Called by the noise, elfin creatures crowded along the hole in the wall, gazing out across a world that was quite tall. They were little people you see, for Minish is what they be. 

Clad in green and their little red hats, they watched as the looming door opened fast. In stepped a maiden, as beautiful as she was tall. Her hair a vibrant red and herself dressed for bed. She moved further ahead and with each step more crashes did she tread. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! 

Malon was her name, they had learned, and their love she had earned. She knew not of the world at her feet, often much too eager to sleep. She set her boots aside and let out a sigh and towards her bed did she stride. With the lights now off and no more chores to be done, Malon laid down and soon there were snores for one.

From their hovel did the small Minish watch. They watched when Malon ate. They watched when she worked. They watched when she played. They watched when she sang. And now they watched as she slept. 

Only in the dead of night did the Minish dare walk free. Otherwise a giant could step on them and they would be forced to flee. Tools in hand, they moved. Know it or not, Malon had given them much. She had given them a home. She had given them meals. Though most of all, she had given them feels. She worked hard and not once did she waver, and so now the Minish would repay the favor. 

Under the snores of the slumbering giant they split apart. The Food Minish went to fetch Food. The Water Minish went to get Water. And the Boot Minish went to Malon’s Boots. 

Armed with brushes and cloths and hammers they marched, none of them glowering despite the boots that were towering. They were battered and dirty from work day in and out, and yet not once did Malon ever pout. The Minish made their way and did what they may. Brush Minish brushed and Hammer Minish hammered. They scrubbed and they climbed and they fixed what they could; all in the hope of doing some good. 

It wasn’t easy, let it be said, but all it took were some tools, and maybe some thread. The soles were cleaned and leather was shined. Holes were closed and insoles were lined. Throughout the night the Minish did their thing, and despite themselves they began to sing. It was a lovely song, Malon’s favorite you see, and to keep their spirits up - a better choice, there couldn’t be. 

Seconds turned to minutes turned to hours. A night spent toiling away while the giant slept in peace; yet it was only at dawn did the Minish at last cease. The Food Minish returned and the Water Minish came back. Enough supplies for a week! And even the occasional snack. Their jobs done and bursting with glee, the Boot Minish saw Malon stirring and turned to flee. 

She groaned and moaned and droned, rising to her feet. They thundered across the ground once again, drumming a familiar beat. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! 

She hurried this way and that without a break, despite the fact only just now did she wake. She dressed and she rushed, the Minish watching, their voices hushed. Only at the end did Malon walk to her boots and what did she see? A dazzling new pair! Her smile that of glee. Humming her favorite tune, she slipped her boots on. Then with a few steps was gone. 

And thus with the rising sun, the Minish could take pride, for their job was very well done.