- Text Size +
I awoke from a deep sleep on the hard, cold floor of a hamster cage, which, for the past two weeks, was my prison. My tiny naked five inch frame was shivering from the cold and I was ravenous from hunger. On the other side of the cage was what my keepers referred to as "nourishment". I could see the mound of "nourishment" which somewhat resembled giant wet coffee grinds, which reached up to about my knee. Normally, I would eat the crap the keepers called "nourishment" but for the past two days, the food has been on an electrically charged five-inch by five inch steel plate. To my tiny five inch frame, that steel plate was six feet by six feet. The "nourishment" was centered in the middle of it and required that I step on it to get to the food. Unfortunately, when I step on the steel plate I get a severe electrical jolt and I am forced off the plate and unable to get to the food. Consequently, I have not eaten anything for two days. I gave up trying to reach for food since yesterday.

I walked up to the bars of the cage and looked around. My keepers have not arrived yet and when they weren't here, the laboratory was dimly lit. Usually it was quiet, but occasionally there were other "specimens" (that's how my keepers referred to me) on the other side of the lab. At my size, they were too distant to communicate with but occasionally I would hear their tiny screams coming out of the cages as I am sure they heard mine. Tonight, I was alone in the lab, no other specimens. There was a window to the outside in the corner of the lab so I could tell it wasn't morning yet but occasionally my keepers arrived prior to daybreak so I was never sure what time they would come.

In the two weeks that I have been here, I have had the same two keepers, which were a study in contrasts. Helga was a fortyish stern looking woman with deep blue eyes with a thick German accent who always wore a white lab coat and kept her dark brown hair in a tight bun. Helga also had a rather large mole on her upper lip which, at my size, made it even more disgusting. When her face came close to me, it was repulsive to be in such proximity with her. She was definitely the leader of the two keepers and was stereotypically German in her efficiency and manner. I can't say she was mean or evil. In fact, she never spoke to me directly and usually delegated that task to her assistant, Caitlin, the other keeper.

Caitlin was a cute fair-skinned, lightly freckled Celtic-looking woman with a small, slightly turned up nose and was probably in her early or mid twenties. She had dark red hair and green eyes and had a much softer disposition than Helga. Like Helga, she always referred me at the "specimen" or "it" but occasionally she had to talk to me and referred to me as "honey" or "sweetie" but in way that an adult might talk to a small child. I found it a little irritating at first but at least it wasn't as dehumanizing as the way Helga treated me. Caitlin always had a smile on her face and occasionally she winked at me, even though she never responded when I tried to speak to her. Whenever Caitlin did talk to me it was a request from Helga to do something. My keepers were constantly doing tests on me. Some of the tests involved pain, but for the most part they were things like running through mazes and being probed with instruments whilst pinned down. I guess if there was any hope for any escape, it was probably going to be from Caitlin as she appeared to be the more human of my two keepers.

How did I get here and, more intriguing, how and why did I get shrunk to five inches tall? To be honest, I don't have a clue. My last memory of being normal sized was in an emergency room of a hospital. I was playing softball and was struck in the head by a line drive while playing third base. For those of you who are familiar with 12 inch softball, it's not soft at all, in fact it's as hard as regular baseball. I was struck in the head and was unconscious. When I awoke I was in the emergency room right before they were going to give me an MRI. As I was entering the chamber, the last thing I was told by the nurse was that everything was okay and the test would only take a few minutes. My last memory as a normal 6 foot, 190 lb 35 year old man was inside the darkness of an MRI chamber.

The next thing that I remember happening was being in this cage and looking at Helga's face, which was the size of a garage door and her ugly-ass mole on her upper lip, which was the size of my fist. In fact, I didn't see Caitlin at all the first couple of days, just Helga as she peered in on my and wrote down some notes on a clipboard. It took me a few days to get orientated but the reality of my life has totally sunk in. I am a five inch tall man at the mercy of a couple women, who for the most part, have given the courtesy of a lab rat.

Today, I would get some answers as to what the hell is going on. Maybe if I catch Caitlin alone, I could!

Suddenly I heard the door of the lab open as light engulfed my tiny universe.

(End of Chapter 1)