- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Finally decided to get down and do something.

 

My first idea never really got anywhere due to me suddenly becoming busy, I intend to stick to this one.

 

 

The flight from London to the city of Sirington, in the United States, had been one of the worst experiences of my life. I’m not sure what was the ‘highlight’ of the trip, the arguing couple that sat besides me or being forced to watch the Stepford Wives twice due to a fault in the system. I don’t want to go repeating any old phrases about airline food but…let’s just say it wasn’t roasted duck served with vegetables and red wine, in fact I’m not sure it was even something meant to be edible but the less said about that the better.

Standing in the airport, my suitcase held in hand, I looked around until I spotted a tall dark haired man who I instantly recognised, rushing towards me he held out a hand which I instantly took.

“Robert!” He said, his face filled with joy at my arrival though I could tell he hadn’t got much sleep the night before due to the bags under his eyes, seemingly it was only the coffee in his other hand that was keeping him alive right now, “I’m glad you make it here safely, what with the clampdown on airport security these days,”

I smiled brightly, it had been some time since I had seen Joseph Walters…many years in fact. Back in University both of us were taking a degree in Physics, from this we became good friends as we each shared an interest in two things, girls and getting the best grades though not always in that order. We weren’t really your typical nerdy kids, from appearances anyways, at heart we truly were…making hours spent gaming still makes me grin to this day.

“You know I had to come Joe, I hear you guys have been doing wonderful things,” I responded, the two of us had to go our separate ways after acquiring jobs at different companies with Joe eventually being taken outside the UK. We still kept in touch though and when a high level position opened well, I just couldn’t turn it down.

“Yes yes, of course though I can’t speak about it out here, come on and I’ll take you to your new apartment,” Joe said, his arm reaching around to my back as he led me away and out of the airport.

The company, Vatco, was indeed incredibly rich as could be seen by the large black limo I was led towards. The chauffeur, tipping his hat as he let me sit inside, oozed of class and I couldn’t help but smile as he took my case and packed it into the trunk. Joe climbed in besides me, instructing the driver to head towards 18 Silvercroft Avenue, what was going to become my new home until the money started rolling in.

“It’s a beautiful place Richard, wonderful view of the beach and the security is top notch. I moved in to a similar one when they first hired me out here, though I wouldn’t trade in my Condo for it now,” He laughed a little, it was good to see him again, “Anyway, I better catch you up with what’s been going on down at the lab,”

Joe had surprised everyone back at Uni when he had cracked something new about molecular structure, everyone was astounded and it catapulted him to immediate stardom of the science world. He had found a way to alter certain properties, demonstrated by causing a small dish of pure water to catch fire just like that. Although it doesn’t seem like much at the time it was revolutionary, no wonder he had landed a top job like this.

“They’ve been building on my word, you remember back from University? The molecular change…we’re really getting somewhere here. We’ve been able to…well, I’ll be blunt, we’ve made things bigger and smaller quite simply!” He said, that grin almost jumping from his face.

“I’m not sure what you mean to be honest, you’ll have to forgive me, I’m a little jetlagged still,” I said truthfully, putting a hand to my head, what did he mean by bigger and smaller?

“I mean exactly what I said. Down at the lab we’ve been able to make things get larger and smaller, we tried it with an apple…now it’s the size of a damn watermelon! Don’t you get it Rich? Think about all we could do, a single piece of fruit could feed hundreds, we could miniaturise machines without needing to painstakingly build them small in the first place, it’s, quite simply, nothing short of a revolution in science!”

If at any moment my mouth was left hanging, it was this. For a few seconds I couldn’t think, I thought maybe this was all some sort of elaborate hoax…I needed to see it with my own eyes, this couldn’t be true.

“That’s…wow, that’s amazing,” Was all I could utter, shocked at the revelation, “I’ve got to see this Joe, we need to get to that lab of yours right now,”

Joseph, of course, agreed with a smile. As soon as we reached my apartment I rushed in, using key to get in, and dumped the case. I took a quick gander, the bed was large and all the appliances were there along with a nice looking tv but I had no time to check that wonderful view I heard so much about as I hurried back into the limo and left.

On the journey there Joe and I spoke about the past and what good times could await us already. He seemed truly in love with his work, as always, and we both hadn’t changed a bit…it was like old times again. Surprisingly the trip was short and we got to the lab within the hour, passing through numerous checkpoints and security checks, not to mention being given a security card for future purposes, we found ourselves inside the room…that was a hell of a big apple.

Sure it was only the size of a watermelon but…apples weren’t meant to be that size, I walked over to it and felt it…it felt like an apple. A small hole was on the side which, apparently, where someone had taken a sample for tasting purposes. Nothing had been lost in the transition and I smiled, turning to Joseph.

“So where’s this machine of yours?” I asked, not noticing anything that looked mildly like a size altering device.

“Oh it’s been moved while they fix up the place, we’re having refurbishments. It’s actually round at my house, it’s my project so they trusted me with it. Of course only the people here know about it and Linda of course,” He said, marvelling at my wonderment of the apple.

“Linda?” I asked.

“Don’t tell me you forgot already…” He grinned, “Linda’s my wife, we’ve been together for a year or two now…beautiful girl, really wonderful…man she’d love you…hey, that reminds me,”

Joe rummaged into his pocket, pulling out a small envelope and slapping it to my chest wearing a silly grin.

“I’m actually you’re new boss and this is your first of many pay-packets, you start tomorrow Mr. Matthews,” He said to me, his face and voice suddenly stern until he burst out laughing, unable to hold it in.

“I look forward to it boss,” I joked with him, putting the envelope into my denim jacket and looking back to the apple once more.

“Come on, we better get going. I’ll have the car pick you up tomorrow morning and drop you round my house,” He said, moving to the glass door and opening it for us to leave.

“Your house?” I asked, stepping out into the main corridor.

“How else are you going to work on the machine?” Joe said, both of us leaving the compound.