- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Just a bit of introduction to some of the characters. This is my first story so I hope you'd enjoy and feel free to let me know what you think!

If you ever found yourself looking for the definition for perfection, it appears that Ben Miller was the closest thing to fit the description. His 6’4 feet height, muscular form, and green eyes were his salient features. This, and being the school's basketball star almost inevitably made him one of the most popular students. Desired by the girls and arouses envy among the boys. 

 

But the limits of his perfection seem to have amounted to his outward qualities.  Like any college student, Ben liked to mess around and have the fun that every college student his age wants. But overall, he did his best to stay on good terms with whoever he could. 

 

Today was Ben's 19 birthday and he planned to celebrate properly since the school year was coming to an end as well. He opened the morning with a cup of coffee on the small porch that was in his bedroom. Ben greatly appreciated these quiet moments before the day officially begins. Relishing in the warm rays of the sun caressing his face, Ben received a text message. It was his girlfriend, Mona:

 

“Good morning babe, I hope you are already awake. Just wanted to wish you a happy birthday.. And to tell you that you'll get your birthday present tonight ;) love ya”.

 

Ben smiled as he read the message. He and Mona have known each other since they were 10 years old since they lived in the same neighborhood but were not in continuous touch at the time. Their friendship renewed in high school when they were both on the school basketball team. Mona is a tall woman herself who rises to a height of 6 '0. Her long blond hair and blue eyes made Ben fall in love with her instantly, and the rest is history.

 

Ben opened his phone and wrote her back:

 

“Thank you love, can't wait for tonight and celebrate with you” 

 

After he finished his coffee, Ben made his way out of the room.  As he went downstairs to the living room he heard some whispers.  Immediately realizing what was coming, he prepared himself to act surprised.  As he arrived in the living room he saw his younger brother and sister, and his mother standing in front of them holding balloons and confetti cannons.

 

“SURPRISEE!!!!” they screamed as they fired the confetti and waved the balloons in excitement. 

Although Ben was not a fan of surprises he appreciated his family’s effort to make him happy.

 

“Aww thank you guys, you shouldn't have bothered like that” Ben said as he looked at the table and saw that his mother made some pancakes. His favorite. 

 

“Don’t be silly! It's your birthday after all” his mother said as she came to hug him and showed Ben to his seat.

 

 Her name is Tammy and she is 48. She works as a secretary but most of the time she works part time because they are a pretty rich family, so she does it mostly to stay busy and meet her friends in the office. Tammy is a very tall woman standing at 6 '3 and in fact she is the source for her children’s good genes.

 

As Ben took his seat, his mother handed him his plate. 

 

“Thanks mom” Ben said, as he started digging his food, while his mother took her seat at the head of the table next to his brother, Nick.

 

“So Ben, any parties planned for today?” His sister Carol asked.

 

“Actually yes, David suggested to do it in his place since his parents aren’t there for the weekend. Plus he lives not far from Mona so I’ll just sleep at her place since she has a present for me” 

 

“Sweet Mona... what a treasure” my mom sighed happily.

 

“A present huh?” Carol said teasingly while raising an eyebrow.

 

“Yes. For my birthday. It's today by the way. What did you get for me?” Ben teased her back.

 

“Tu shay” Carol said.

 

Ben and Carol used to mess each other most of their childhood. Carol is Ben’s 17 years old sister. She and Ben attend the same school.  In appearance, she and Ben are quite similar. She has the same green eyes and dirty blonde hair as he does. 

When it comes to height, Carol seems to be in her mother's way as standing at a height of 6 '1, however it seems that unlike girls like her she did not choose to leverage this to get on the basketball team.  Carol is a more artistic type.  She majored in art in high school, where she met her current boyfriend, Eric, who is quite different from her in terms of personality, and also for being shorter than her standing at 5 '10 tall.  Even today the connection between them would seem to Ben a bit odd, but whatever floats her boat, he assumed.

 

 “Well, at least one of the Miller’s boys know how to party and have some fun” Carol said, switching to tease the youngest in the Miller family.

 

Nick on his side just stared annoyed at his sister, trying not to give her the satisfaction of picking up on him.  

 

“But of course when I say fun I mean besides your time in your locked bedroom..” Carol added, giggling.

 

“Oh shut up already!”

 

“Chill little bro.. I'm just worried about your social life..” She said with a smirk.

 

More than she liked to tease Ben, Carol loved even more to tease their younger brother.  Unlike them, Nick did not inherit the most attractive features of the family let’s just put it that way.  He is relatively short for his family, being 5'10. Also, his lack of any masculine characteristics and his skinny figure didn’t help his confidence. This, in addition to being in a chemistry major, made him not one of the popular students in the school. Nick never had a girlfriend, which from time to time used by Carol to tease him when she wanted some amusement. But he still managed to befriend two students in his class who were good kids like him, and overall had a good relationship with Ben and even Carol.

 

 

“Yeah.. thanks but no thanks. I am more worried about your shorter boyfriend” Nick said while straightening his glasses.

 

“Say one word about him shorty”

 

“Well that’s enough you two let’s just calm down, shall we?” Tammy warmly suggested. “It’s your big brother’s birthday after all”.

 

“Yeah guys let’s just focus on the most important thing today. Me” Ben announced gleefully.

 

Both Carol and Nick just groaned irritated, Tammy just chuckled, and Ben simply kept eating, giggling for he managed to amuse himself on the way. Today was his birthday, and he planned to enjoy it to its full.