- Text Size +
Once upon a time, in the magical land of Arcadia, magical creaturs and common falk lived in harmony, except when they didn't. In the happy little village of Everjoy, there lived a halfling that wasn't so joyous, and her name was Penny Locket. She was three feet tall and had a messy head of brown hair, her eyes a lovely blue. Her dress was brown, she worked in the fields, so if it got dirty, no one would notice. As stated earlier, Penny was in a foul mood, and people could tell. Moving out of the little ladies was as she stormed into the general goods store. She walked right up to the counter, looked the cashier dead in the eye, and asked.

"Do you carry traps?"

"Yes, miss Locket, what kind of vermin are you dealing with?"

"Sprits." The cashier's eyes went wide when he heard that word. Most kinds of fae folk were welcome in any farmer's fields. Fairy's and pixie's, gave off magical dust when they fly, helping plants grow bigger and more healthy than usual. Elves had a natural affinity with nature, magic, and plants just seemed to prosper around them on principle. Even dryads were more than welcomed to put down roots in the middle of any field, being able to communicate with the plants and help the farmer know what they needed. Indeed, it seemed like there was no kind of fae that farmers did not love, except for sprits. Sprits did nothing to help the garden or fields they lived in, only taking, and eating, and generally making a mess of anywhere they happened to set up shop.

"Do you have traps for sprits or not!?" Penny spat out in a huff, she was usually much more polite, but she was pushed to the edge and looked it.

"Well, it's not that simple, miss Locket. Sprits are intelligent creatures. You can't just put out an animal trap; they're too clever." Penny was just about to loos it. She was trying to find a way to get rid of the sprites on her own for days. This was her last hope. Then she had an idea, it was crazy, downright foolish, but she was desperate.

"Thank you anyway, shopkeep!" The cashier looked on in horror. The mad look in Penny's eyes was enough to make him nervous. A small part of him even pitying the sprits.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a lovely day in the garden, at least one happy sprit thought so, his name was Traven. He stood at four inches tall with short green hair. He also had the characteristics of most common sprits, bug-like antennas sticking out of his forehead, and two dragonfly-like wings sticking out of his back. He and his tribe moved into the garden, and not only were the vegetables delicious, but the farm girl was a hoot. To a sprit, nothing was more fun than screwing with people, and that Locket woman was a funny one to them. She was always chasing them with nets and frying pans. Indeed, they had found their paradise. Zooming around the garden, he spotted his friends feasting on a particularly juicy-looking tomato, So he dive-bombed into it, splattering all over them.

"HEY! Save it for the farmer Traven; I just washed up!" Max yelled. He was always a stick in the mud, and out of all of them, the most un-sprit-like person you could meet.

"I got something for you to wash with right here!" Shouted Bell, before she threw a handful of tomato at Max. She made up for Max's lack of spirtness by having three times the amount of energy than the common sprit. Max retaliated with a few tomato chunks, and Traven fired on both indiscriminately. All of them were having fun, even Max, but he would never say it. But all the merrymaking ceased when they heard loud thuds on the ground.

"Oh, joy! It pissy Penny! Let's get ready, boys. It's been hours since I was chased!" Max rolled his eyes at Bell's excitement, but Traven found it enchanting. Traven was hiding a little crush on Bell, never feeling quite brave enough to say anything. They soon spotted the farm girl, walking much more slowly than average, but they were more than willing to help her pick up speed.

"AW! Fat little bunny wants some tomato? Too bad we got here first!"

"Catch us if you can, little bunny! You need the exercise!" Traven and Bell shouted, Max only gave rude hand gestures, his spirit not really being in it. And neither was Penny; it seemed as she walked away as soon as she got to where they eat the tomato.

"Why is she just walking away? HEY FAT ASS! WE'RE GOING TO EAT ALL YOUR FOOD!!!" Bell yelled at the top of her lungs to try and get the halfling to chase them.

"If your done making me deff in one ear? She left something by the tomatoes." Max said, pointing down. He was always the most observant one in their group. They all flew down and took a look at what was left behind, finding a blueberry muffin, freshly baked by the smell of it.

"Food!" Bell screamed, trying to charge at it as Max held her back.

"Don't be stupid, Bell! It might be poisoned!"

"I don't think it is guys, take a look at this." Traven got both his friends to look at a note that came with the muffin.

"Dear Vermin

I have been pushed to the edge of madness by you little pests! So I'm willing to negotiate. I know you flying rats don't have a single leader, so all of you are invited to the talks. There will be plenty more tasty treats in it for you if you do come.

With hate-

Penny Locket."

"WOW! She must be desperate if she is willingly asking for an entire tribe of sprit's into her home." Traven said, a little shocked that the letter was so polite.

"This is a trap, go if you want to be stomped into mush, but I certainly do not." Max said, looking like he was about to fly away before Bell stopped him.

"The big folk aren't that bright. Besides, even you can't pass up an opportunity to wreak a big folk house!" Bell said in her usual excited way, positively shaking with anticipation.

"I will only go if Traven thin-"

"I'm in! I can't wait to see the look on her face! Let's carry this back to the others and form a plan of attack!" Traven said, to which Bell howled in joy, and Max groaned in tired defeatism.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Penny spent a good chunk of her time cooking up muffins, cupcakes, and cornbread. All of which was meant for the sprits, she hoped her plan was not too obvious, but it was too late to back out. She heard the buzzing of wings, putting on a fack smile as the varmints swarmed her kitchen table. She hid her shock and horror well. Just when she thought that the last of them came in, it was only the next wave's start. There had to be fifty or seventy sprits swarming the food she laid out for them. Penny hoped that there was enough for all of them; otherwise, her plan was doomed. One of the sprit's flew up and landed on her shoulder, and he was much more stern than the other comparatively wild ones.

"So you wanted to talk, then talk."

"Oh, we can wait until your done eating for-"

"No. I want to know precisely what good you thought would come from this. Sprits are not known as good house guests, and even small children know that reasoning with us is pointless. So why did you invite us into your home?" Penny was starting to panic. She did not expect a level-headed sprit; such a thing was practically a myth. A female sprit flew up and landed next to the one on Penny's shoulder, acting more usually for her kind.

"Hey, Max! What are you doing talking to the farm girl when we have a spread like this in fro-in front of..." The female started dossing off. The sleeping potion she mixed in with the food was working like a charm. Except for the stern one, all of the sprits began to pass out. Penny looked over to the horrified little man on her shoulder with a wicked grin on her face.

"You asked what good I expected to come from this, right? This answer your question?" She then laughed as he tried to fly away with his lady friend. But he was too slow to get away carrying her, so Penny plucked him right out of the air. She was giggling as she held him by his wings, looking him over.

"You know, I'm half tempted to let you go on the grounds that you might be less of a pain in my ass than the rest. But I think we both know that your time has come." Penny said as she pulled the female out of his grasp and moved over to a counter, pinning him to a cutting board by his wings.

"Oh fucking hell, no! Please, you don't have to let us all go, just let me take my two friends! We will move to a new garden and never bother you again!"

"HA! Like I'm going to believe a word out of your mouth. Besides, you flying rats breed like them! I will be back up to my ears in you vermin by the end of the week! Now hold still, or this will get messy." Penny then moved her knife down to the scared little man, copping off his wings in two quick motions. Moving her hands off him, she laughed when she saw him trying to run. It was clear that he seldom used his legs from how tired he was from a relatively short sprint. She then picked him right back up and held him at eye level. Seeing the fear in his eyes was quite gratifying after all the trouble he and his tribe caused her.

"W-What are you going to do to us?"

"Well, I've thought about that quite a lot, actually. And, well, you pests have been eating a lot of my food. It's only fair that you make up for the lost produce." Penny then licked the tiny man, making him scream in terror and try to wiggle out of her grasp even more. She then quickly stuffed the little man into her mouth. She did not hate the way he tasted but did think that he would taste better with a sauce, or maybe in a pudding. But what she savored most was his terror.

"Please let me out! I'm sorry we stole your food! Called you fat and made you chase us around! Please, just please don't eat us! Please!" Penny was delighting in making the little man panic. They made her life a living hell for days, cost her hundreds of gold in produce, and humiliated her every chance they got. She made sure that he suffered in her mouth. Only when she saw what time it was did she put an end to it. Rolling her tongue back and forcing him down her throat, giggling as she felt him wiggle all the way down to her belly.

"That was fun, but I have a lot of work to do." Penny then gathered up all the sprits, and then went through with the rest of her revenge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Traven... Traven!" He woke up to someone yelling his name, but it was too muffled to tell who it was. The stinging from his back woke him up the rest of the way, and what he saw made him wonder if he really was awake. He and about nine other sprits were tightly packed together in a glass jar, next to dozens of other jars with the same number of sprits in them as well. All covered in some kind of blanket, with barely any sun getting in.

"Traven! It really is you!" Looking over to the jar next to him, he could see Bell, banging away at the glass uselessly.

"Bell! What happened? Where's Max?"

"I don't know! I just woke up in this jar with my wings clipped!" Traven quickly moved his hand to his back, discovering the source of the pain was the same as the others. His wings were gone. It was then that the blanked was ripped off of the jars, and the real horror of their situation.


"TOMATOES! FOUR GOLD! CARROTS! ONLY THREE! SPRITS! A JAR OF TEN FOR TEN GOLD!" Traven looked up in shock as he saw the halfling woman he and his tribe tormented for days, now selling them with the rest of the produce. Traven could see that Bell was starting to panic, so he tried to think of something to say, but he couldn't think of anything comforting about their situation. Just then, someone walked over to the stall, a gremlin by the look of her. Cousens of goblins, gremlins were black thumbs, working machines and forge work like an elf could work nature magic.

"HELLO, BRIGIT. SEE ANYTHING YOU LIKE?"

"MOSTLY JUST WONDERING WHY YOU'RE TRYING TO SELL VERMIN." The town tinker said, picking up the jar with Bell in it, looking over the contents. The sound of Bell screaming was enough to make Traven's stomach churn, and he wanted to do something to save her. But in the end, he was just as powerless as she was.

"FIGURED I SHOULD AT LEAST TRY AND MAKE UP FOR ALL THE DAMAGES THE VARMINTS CAUSED. I KNOW FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE THAT THEY ARE INTERESTING TO EAT."

"REALLY? HAVE ANY RESAPIEAS I COULD TRY?"

"I WAS THINKING ABOUT PUTTING THEM IN A PIE, OR MAYBE SOME KIND OF DESSERT. I ONLY HAD THE ONE, BUT COLD TELL THAT THEY WOULD BE BETTER IN SOMETHING." The way they casually talked about eating them made Traven go pale. This had to a nightmare, he thought to himself.

"I SUPPOSE ANYTHING IS WORTH TRYING ONCE. I'LL TAKE THIS JAR, AND THAT PUMPKIN."

"THAT'LL BE SIXTEEN GOLD. THANK YOU, COME AGAIN!" Traven could see Bell slamming away at the glass as she was carried off, only able to watch in horror as she was carried away. He slumped down to the floor of the jar, the rest of the day passing as he desperately tried to wake up from this nightmare he was trapped in. By the time Penny was closing up her cart, there was only one jar of sprits left. Traven did not know the rest of his tribe's fates, but the farmer made it clear what theirs would be.

"LOOKS LIKE YOU LITTLE PESTS ARE GOING TO BE JOINING ME FOR DINNER!" All the sprits in the jar started to panic. They begged and screamed. Some even tried to bargain or punch their way to freedom. Traven simply sat on the bottom of the jar; he knew it was hopeless. When they got back to the farmer's home, she got to work making a vegetable stew, with one special ingredient. Everyone screamed when they were unceremoniously dumped into the bowl of stew. It was too hot to be comfortable, not that the halfling cared.

"BETTER START SWIMMING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE GOBBLED UP!!!" She said with a sadistic grin, enjoying the suffering she caused her former tormentors. She missed Traven but was able to scoop up two of his fellow tribesmen. The way she savored them made Traven sick. If she was going to eat them, the lest she could do is not make them suffer, he thought. Even in the hot stew, he felt cold when he saw her gulping down two of his people. She continued her meal, and Traven continued to prove a better swimmer than his kin. One by one, everyone was devoured except for him. The stew was almost gone by this point, so she picked up the bowl and brought it to her lips.

"LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE THE LAST TO GO. GOOD RIDDANCE, YOU VARMINT!" She then started tilting the bowl up as she slurped the last of the stew down. Traven was only barely able to hold onto one of his killer's teeth to avoid being swallowed. Giggling, the halfling woman tilted her head back, making him dangle for dear life over her cavernous throat. It only took a tap with her enormous tongue to send him tumbling down, and in one gulp, he found himself being crushed by the tight throat muscles forcing him down deeper and deeper into the woman who had eaten him. Until finally, he was plopped out into the waiting stomach of the halfling woman, his kin waiting for him in there.

"Let us out! Let us out!"

"She ate us... SHE ATE US!"

"I don't want to die like this!" The others screamed as they tried everything they could to escape, but Traven just sat there, waiting for the end.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Penny let out a most unladylike belch, patting her full belly.

"Now that was a good meal! I'm almost sad I sold the rest of you little vermin, I could have used some of you in my dessert!" She laughed as she felt her living food wiggling inside of her. She then sat on her favorite chair and opened a good book, enjoying a good story while she enjoyed feeling her tormentors struggling in her belly. Soon she dossed off by the morning, her victims would be gone, and she would finally have a peaceful day in her garden.