- Text Size +

The flurry of activity from Virion in recent days had a reason. His interrogation of some of the Grand Duchy’s agents had revealed to him that the rebellion was getting direct support from the Grand Duchy. It made sense of course and he had his suspicions but now he had concrete information to act on. The rebellion was being used to keep his efforts busy while the Duchy gathered its forces and drew up plans for an attack. Which meant it needed to be wiped away. The how of it was proving to be difficult. 

 

Time was with him but also against him here. The Grand General would be returning to the continent in a few months time. Nalista was many things, but she was no puppet of the Council. She had also served as one of his instructors on the ways of war growing up. He had disagreements with her methods at times but she was absolutely someone he could trust. If he could stall the ability of the Duchy to march then he would be secure. Of course, time was against him in that his opponents on the Council knew this. So they were moving with their own plans. 

 

He needed more support behind him and it was to that end he had invited the governess of the neighboring province to Lyssia. Idriana was a clever woman, she had not gotten her post simply because she was born to the right family. She had earned it through deed and through skill as an administrator. He regretfully knew little about the woman aside from that, however it was never too late to foster relations. 

 

Dinner had gone extremely well, he had opted for some local fare at Selena’s recommendation and sure enough it seemed to charm the woman to sample local delicacies. Now he had managed to get her in his study, it was time to start making overtures. Which he was about to until Idriana took command of the conversation first. 

 

“My, your pet is quite a darling little thing isn’t she, your grace?” The tall elf remarked. 

 

The pair of them were seated across from each other, Virion lounging on a fine settee and Idriana in a plush and cushioned chair. Upon a side table next to him was Selena, seated and watching the two. He had expected her to completely ignore her in all honesty. He smiled politely and delved into her line of conversation without missing a beat.

 

“Indeed. Rather one of a kind. I’ve grown rather fond of her since arriving in Lyssia.” He said. 

 

“So I’ve heard. Indeed, as I hear it you have grown rather fond of humans in general since arriving here. I had noted a few… oversized specimens I passed by during the carriage ride. Novel to see.” Her tone was light but it didn’t take a genius to see where she was going with this. 

 

“Ah, well, when you have oxen on hand and a field to plow, it would be ill advised not to make use of them.” Virion said with a shrug. “Unorthodox, but I’m sure you can agree from experience that it can be an undertaking to build a province from the ground up.” 

 

The governess lifted up a goblet of wine and took a sip. “Unorthodox. Some would call it radical, your grace.” She said lightly. Her eyes were firmly upon Selena. “There are many that say you have grown too attached to your animals, though I’ve divorced myself from many of the politics back in the homeland it is not hard to hear those whispers on the wind. I was curious to lay eyes upon Lyssia for myself to confirm it.” 

 

Selena prickled at being called an animal quite visibly and it drew a smirk from the Governess. “Feisty. Quite a light of rebellion in that one’s eyes.” 

 

This was less than an ideal way to start off the conversation. Of course she would find his practices strange and perhaps even dangerous. After all, she had been the most damaged by the efforts of the Black Rose and his army. She had a vested interest no doubt in what happened in the former nation of Albar. That put him on delicate footing here. Still, she had come in the first place. Which told him either this was a courtesy or she was interested in what he had to say. He had to hope for the latter. 

 

“Let us be honest with each other then, my lady. This human is Princess Selena Albar, and yes her words have helped to shape my policy in Lyssia.” He said firstly. 

 

She scratched her chin. “An interesting find. She does resemble her brother somewhat I’ll admit.” She said. 

 

“You’ve seen my brother? Is he well?” 

 

Virion winced as she spoke out of turn, though he couldn’t exactly blame the question. Idriana’s gaze swept over her again and she shrugged. 

 

“When last I saw him he had surrendered himself to the whims of the Grand General. A very pretty human, pity that Nalista snatched him up for herself. And double the pity the prince took you for himself. I would have enjoyed one of the Albar royals as a plaything.” She said at length. “Ah, he looked so brokenly content, lapping away at the toes of one so grand as the woman that owned him.” 

 

Selena’s eyes flashed at that. “You’re lying, there is no way-” 

 

“Selena, that is enough.” 

 

The human winced at the sharp edge to his tone. The frustration that the prince was feeling welled up to the surface, he hadn’t meant to take that tone with her but he needed to keep this conversation in his control. Or at least steer it somewhere constructive. He could tell Selena had more she wanted to say but there was a time and a place. He couldn’t afford Idriana to just walk out from being insulted. 

 

“You have my sincerest apologies, Governess. I pray you took no offense.” He said. 

 

“Strong willed as well. Ah, I would have enjoyed breaking her of that. Have no fear, your grace, no offense is taken. The words of a human are but air.” The woman said with a shrug. 

 

“Good. Then to continue along this line, yes, I have been making use of her advice. And yes that advice has resulted in more radically well treated humans. However, you don’t strike me as a traditionalist. If you were, you wouldn’t have come here today. Or if you had, you would have been overly supportive that you might be better placed to curry favor with my enemies. Which tells me you can see the practicality in what I do.” Virion said. 

 

The older elf looked down into her goblet and seemed to consider it at length. “You are forthright when you need to be at the very least. Very well. I am not blind to your situation. I am also not blind to whom it is that wishes you offered up as a sacrifice to our enemies to fuel our endless war. One with greater power than you by far.” Her eyes trailed over Virion again at last. 

 

“For now. Greater power for now.” He said. 

 

A laugh met that, the woman shaking her head. “Come now, your grace. You and I know that trading in what might come to pass is less convincing than what already is. With respect, compared to your opponent, you might as well be the same scale as your pet dancing around in her palm. And stand about as much chance against her as that difference suggests.” She said at length. 

 

He didn’t have much he could say to that. She was right of course. It didn’t make the words sit anymore ill with him. Still it didn’t explain why she came out all this way. His golden eyes narrowed as he was clearly waiting for her to get to the point. The larger elf meanwhile was quite clearly enjoying herself, having the prince hanging on her words. Having royalty at her mercy. She was a clever woman, but one with her vices as well. 

 

“I am willing to help you however, your grace. Though no things in life are free.” She said at last. 

 

“Name your price.” He said without hesitation. 

 

“It's quite simple. Marriage.” The governess said with a shrug. 

 

There was dead silence that accompanied that, both from him and from Selena. The pair both gave her equally comical looks that drew a smirk from her. She let out an elegant laugh behind her hand, shaking her head in clear amusement. Marriage. Virion examined it once the surprise wore off and… he could see it. There were not many things he could offer Idriana. If Lyssia fell it made no difference to her, the Grand Duchy’s forces would be met with Nalista’s army long before they could reach Idriana’s land. As well, her province was better secured in general after the invasion by Albar. 

 

What he could offer her however was his royal blood. Due to the matrilineal nature of Elsira at large she would gain Lyssia as her own territory. Which she would be inclined to protect as it would be hers. As well, her children would be related to the royal family. Entitled to all the benefits that would confer. It was a very logical offer. Of course there were some caveats to consider in such an arrangement.  

 

“Let us say that interests me. You would become the governess of Lyssia as well as your own holdings. What fate befalls those I’ve granted some degree of tolerance?” He asked. 

 

“What a first question. What do you think happens, your grace? You only gave them that much because, ostensibly you had no choice with limited resources. Tied to me you would no longer have this issue. As such you would have no reason to pretend that they are even half people.” She said. 

 

Virion gritted his teeth at that. His fingers curled around the armrest of his settee. He could feel his blood bubbling there for some reason he couldn’t rightly pin down. “I see.” He said. 

 

There it was. He had a way out of the trap placed before him. A clear and unambiguous way to escape his fate. If he submitted to marriage to the governess he would be able to stay alive. It was a decision that when he had first come here, he would have made without a second thought. Yet now. When he thought about going and meekly undoing all that he had managed to do… it made him see red. It was her assured way of presenting it. The smug in her voice was palpable really. 

 

“I would like some time to consider such an offer, my lady. I am sure you understand I have a number of things to consider if I am to do that.” He said with a plastic smile. 

 

“Of course, your grace. Though, I wouldn’t advise taking too long. After all, time in your predicament is rather precious.” She remarked as she stood up. “In any event, I believe I’ll retire for the evening. Long trip back home and all that.” 

 

With a bow she sauntered out of the room and left both Virion and Selena to their own devices. There was an absolute silence between them. He could see the gears of her mind working, could see she was feeling despair at the possibility he was going to accept. The prince took a sip from his as yet barely touched wine. It was a fine vintage. About the only thing pleasant that had come out of tonight. 

 

“I’m going to refuse of course.” He said at length. 

 

Selena looked up at him sharply. “It's your way out. Maybe your only way out.” She said simply. 

 

He snorted. “Its *a* way out. Not the only. Admittedly, I would have liked that to go a bit better. However it's not anything I put all my investments in. Besides, if I do, then all humans go right back to being reduced.” 

 

“What happened to practical?” She asked. 

 

“Hmm… perhaps you’ve been more of an influence on me than expected. As well, I rather like the way some of them look at me, like a living savior. Rather strokes the ego you know.” He managed to chuckle despite the disastrous way that had gone. He affected humor for her sake but in reality that had gone about as south as it could have gone. He was in no position to negotiate with her when he lacked control of his own province after all. 

 

There was a moistness around Selena’s eyes as she looked up at him, which she wiped away hurriedly. “Of course it would be for the sake of your ego, that is so very you.” She managed to get out, though at the least there was a smile on her lips now. 

 

For some reason, that smile and the sound of levity rather than despair in her voice, made everything worth it.