- Text Size +

Selena had never been the most tactical of minds like her Brother Rickard. She had never been the strongest of people like her Brother Grimnar. She had never even been the fairest of beauties in the land like her sisters. What she had been was observant. She watched and saw how matters of court worked. How people worked. It was that skill it seemed that had landed her in the good graces of Prince Virion, placing her in his ear in a metaphorical sense. 

 

Not long after her suggestion, the Prince had instituted a policy of ‘Softer Reduction’. Essentially, almost all humans in the province of Lyssia had their height locked between 3 to 4 feet. It was a savvy move when she thought about it. Almost every elf would balk at the idea of humans being allowed to walk around at their normal size. So he had lowered the bar. Yet kept the bar high enough that they could actually do work expected of people. During the process he had his mages check for latent magical abilities and evidently removed those as well. Practical, but not foolish it seemed. One that learned from history.

 

He also instituted a system of separate laws by which humans were to be governed by. A lot of it was a list of things they weren’t allowed to do or couldn’t do. However compared to the laws of greater Elsira it was downright humanizing to be told you were allowed to own money and do work and live in homes. They were absolutely not even close to equals by any stretch from her viewing of the laws, however it was something that no one would have dreamed of after watching Nalista crush the capital in her hand. 

 

She had never dreamed of it either. What she was learning rather fast was Prince Virion was a practical man. Not exactly warm or fuzzy, indeed he could be rather a smug jerk at times in her opinion but at the end of the day his decisions were grounded in practicality. Selena was more than fine with that, it meant she could try to whisper in his ear and make things better for Albar’s people. As long as there was practical benefit in the end and the risk was not too great, he was rather willing to listen to her. That was a powerful tool. Of course as much as she used him, he was not shy about using her. 

 

“What a lovely pet you have there, your grace. So very pretty. Seems rather well behaved.” The voice was sickly sweet and reminded Selena far too much of some of the less friendly ladies of the court. 

 

“A one of a kind find you might call her.” The prince boomed on high in response. “She has certainly been a comfort in my time here far from home.” 

 

She was currently seated at a rather lovely table, one stacked high with towering dishes and meals that Selena herself had never seen before. She was positioned next to the plate Prince Virion had for himself. He had yet to touch anything on his plate, his golden eyes fixated upon the woman on the other side of the table. A rather tall and well dressed blonde haired elf, evidently one Councilor Idria. Her blue robes were made of the finest fabric imagined and she bore an impressive array of jewelry. She had been terrified to note some of that jewelry included humans in the design. Specifically a couple of her rings, the people bound and miserable, kept alive by magic to suffer. 

 

The Councilor chuckled, brushing some bangs from her face as she took a drink of wine. “From what I hear you’ve grown quite fond of the little creatures. Radically so one might say. My, they do talk about it so often at the capital.” She remarked. 

 

“Unlike some that enjoy the same wine they’ve been drinking for centuries, I rather think variety is the spice of life. The same vintage gets so very bland. Perhaps those of a palette dulled by such wine might consider it radical of course.” He said in return. 

 

Selena didn’t need to understand the deeper politics of Elsira to know these two were very much at odds with one another. The plastic smiles they wore for each other and the pretty words hiding sharpened barbs were universal to humans and elves it seemed. It was a false courtesy for one another. Just looking at Idria and her… fashion sense made Selena happy she was on that side of the table. 

 

“Far be it from me to comment on one’s treatment of their slaves. How you want to herd your animals is your business of course, your grace. I simply worry over your reputation, so many poisonous voices back home whispering in the wrong ears. You are so very bright, it is a pity to have you out here because of some youthful opinions shared back home.” Idria said in her faux sweet voice. 

 

“Funny you should mention poisonous voices, honored councilor. For you see it would appear there were some voices whispering in the ears of the human nation to the south of us. Rather cost us some valuable territory. One shudders to think one of our people would enable a potential enemy of the Empire, for personal political gain no less.” Virion mused. “Treasonous one might say.”

 

The councilor let out one of the fakest gasps that Selena had ever heard as she placed a hand to her ample bosom. “Oh my! How horrible, that anyone could be so low as to conspire with humans to undermine the Empire. What evidence do you have of this, your grace?” 

 

Virion lifted his own glass of wine and took a sip, swishing it around in his cup for a moment. “No hard evidence yet, but I’ll be conducting an investigation into the matter. The truth of the matter will be brought to light one way or the other.” 

 

Idria nodded. “Well, if *ever* you have need of any support, your grace, know that I am ever your humble and willing servant.” 

 

“Why thank you, Councilor, it does my heart good to know you wish to see justice served as much as I.” 

 

There was tension thick in the air and Selena was starting to see the bigger picture here. Virion had explained his situation and now she was seeing what appeared to be one of his opposition. The Councilor had the eyes of a snake really, someone that just rubbed you the wrong way. Whenever she glanced at Selena there was an almost predatory look in her eyes. Like she was sizing up a morsel and it made her queasy. 

 

Eventually they had finished for the evening after some vapid topics about the goings on in the imperial capital. Things Selena didn’t quite get. Fashion trends of the elves and some economic matters. A bit more polite seemingly. Idria stood up at the end and bowed her head low to the prince. It was not as full as many of the people around Virion usually gave him. A mocking kind of bow really. 

 

“Well, it has been a pleasure your grace but I think it's time I retire for the evening. Ah, I did bring you a gift.” She snapped her fingers and an elven servant approached the prince with a box. The servant opened the box and offered the contents to Virion. 

 

The young prince’s brow twitched every so as he reached down and lifted up a necklace. Selena was rather taken by how lovely it seemed… until she saw what was dangling from it. It was a pure golden chain necklace and the adornment on it was a golden cage bearing a few gems along it. There were tiny restraints inside as well. Judging from the expression on the prince’s face he was less than pleased with it but had to struggle to form a smile. 

 

“What a unique design, a new trend back home?” He asked as it dangled from his dark fingers. 

 

“Indeed, Grand General Nalista rather set this particular trend. Keeps her little captive inside of one. I think your pet would look just lovely inside of it. Why don’t you try it on?” Idria said with a smirk. 

 

His jaw clenched imperceptibly. “Why of course, Councilor. I am moved that you would think of me when you saw it.” He started to put it around his neck but she held up a finger. 

 

“Ah, your grace, I do believe it would look better if you had your little pet inside of it. Rather how it's meant to be worn.” She said. 

 

Selena felt her heart freeze almost immediately at the statement. Her dark eyes turned upward to Virion who was looking across the table at Idria, golden eyes burning with indignation. “Of course, if you enjoy her so very much I would never presume to tell you what to do with your playthings.” The councilor added. 

 

Selena was not familiar with elven politics but she understood quite well in the moment just how on the outs the prince that owned her was. Even tolerating humans, being kind to them, or even giving them some semblance of recognition was seen as a weakness. Idria was poking at him, forcing him to show that weakness to her. The dark haired young princess bowed her head slowly to the prince, slowly shifting from her seat on the table and down to her hands and knees. She wasn’t quite sure when her body had started moving as it did but once it had she couldn’t stop the words coming from her mouth. 

 

“Master, please, let me help you look nice.” She managed to get out. 

 

He looked down at Selena and his lips were turned down in the slightest of frowns. She in turn lifted her head to look up at him, searching his face. Any elf would have just immediately tossed her into a cage, and indeed she had half expected him to. He was cold at times, practical, but little moments of conflict like this were where she could get a deeper insight into the prince of Elsira. He really did remind her of Rickard in so many ways, just he hid them behind a mask of practicality. 

 

He lowered the cage down to the table and Selena found her heart pounding in her chest as she slowly stood up. She was aware that the councilor was watching, gleefully no doubt. She walked with as much dignity as she could manage toward the door to the cage. She unlatched it and stepped inside, pulling it shut behind her. The latch clicked shut, sending a shiver down her spine as she looked around her surroundings. 

 

It was indeed solid gold. There were restraints upon the floor, chains and cuffs of gold designed to keep her trapped. Even a collar. She didn’t approach those however, instead she simply seated herself down upon the floor of the cage and looked out through the bars. It was a pretty cage really, looking at someone wearing it might lift some eyebrows in court but evidently not so much in Elsira. 

 

Gravity shifted as she had to hold down her terror, air rushing past outside the bars as she was lifted up and up and up until she looked out and saw his face. It loomed before her through the bars, golden eyes fixed on her tiny form within the cage. She bowed her head meekly, a good show for the councilor. Despite it all her palms were sweating for some reason and her heart was going a mile a minute. Was this fear? Humiliation? She couldn’t decide. It wasn’t anything she had felt that much was for certain. 

 

The prince placed the necklace around his neck, latching the golden chain the cage was connected to perfectly. She jerked slightly as the cage bumped against the front of his flawless white and gold tunic. She could hear something in the distance. She could hear a rapid drumming beneath his slender torso, the drumbeat of his heart as fast as her own. Whether it was from anger or something she couldn’t say. 

 

“There now, doesn’t she look just lovely?” Idria said with a wide grin. 

 

“A fine gift, councilor. Worthy of a prince with a place all humans should be grateful to be in. I will treasure it.” He said with a forced smile. 

 

“Mmm, that makes me quite happy to hear. Now then I really should retire for the evening. I do thank you, your grace. You are quite the gracious host. I’m sure Lyssia will be in good hands with you.” She said before sweeping out of the room. 

 

As soon as she did Virion gripped the necklace and all but tore it off, shaking Selena and drawing a squeak from her from the sudden movement. He let the cage settle out into his palm and waited for her to open it up. She slowly opened the cage and stepped outside onto his flawless brown skin, looking up at his very irritated expression. As soon as she was out he handed the cage to the nearest servant. 

 

“Put it in the same jewelry box I keep all of her ‘gifts’ in.” He ordered before slumping back into his chair and letting out a long and frustrated sigh. 

 

Selena watched the servant depart and cleared her throat. “Not your best friend, I take it?” 

 

His glare was sharp upon her, drawing a wince. At that his expression relaxed ever so. “A toxic woman. A powerful toxic woman. One of the most powerful of the Elsiran Council and the uncrowned queen of the Citadel. Also the voice of the more conservative arms of Elsira. I had my suspicions when she traveled here for a visit but she didn’t even try to hide the fact she orchestrated all of this. Just coming to rattle my cage.” He growled. 

 

“You’ll forgive me, your grace, the finer points of Elsiran politics escape me.” Selena said. “However, I fail to see why a Councilor would go to all of these lengths to remove you and potentially kill you. You are royalty after all. Could you not simply order her arrested?” 

 

Virion chuckled. “I’d do far more than arrest that one. Far, far more.” He said darkly. “However, no. I cannot. Councilor Idria is extraordinarily popular with the people. Her views are seen as the ideal and she expresses the dream of all of humanity rendered worthless animals beneath our steps. Mine are less popular. More importantly, Idria is also royalty. She is my Aunt. The younger sister of the Empress. My mother also shares more of her views than mine.” 

 

Selene blinked. “You don’t look related. Like. At all.” She said. 

 

“Ah. The Empress takes consorts when having her children. My father is where I inherit my looks from.” He clarified. 

 

Selena scratched her chin as she seated herself down in the palm of the prince. “And as for why she would be going to these lengths?” That was the point she most found weighing on her mind. Why would a Councilor want to undermine a whole region just to kill one prince. 

 

“Twofold. One, to remove me. It was no doubt pitched to the Empress as a method to prove myself by bringing the animals to heel. Two, to draw in the Grand Duchy. They will sweep into Lyssia, kill many of our colonists no doubt. It will fan the spark your brother inadvertently lit. Deepen the resentment the Empire has for humans and continue the circle of violence until it rolls over all humans. As well as cost many many Elsiran lives to bring it about.” He said with a frown. 

 

Selena frowned as she considered it from that angle. It really was a case of a woman willing to just sacrifice countless lives in the name of maintaining a fire to swallow up all of humanity. When explained to her like this, when the details were laid out in front of her, Selena knew she had to try and avert it. To do anything to stop what happened in Albar from happening to the rest of the world. Perhaps, elf and human together, they could do it.