- Text Size +

It turned out they had not taken all of Albar after all. Not technically in any event. On a hunch Prince Virion had sent agents out to poke around the lands of the Duchess Lorena Wiess and sure enough they were flying the banners of the Grand Duchy. As well as had a number of troops placed along the border of Lyssia. It took a bit of digging and getting testimonials from humans that had been captured near that region, evidently the change had happened just before the war. Rather under the radar as well. 

 

This told the prince several things. One, the Grand Duchy were rather savvy about claiming opportunity. Secondly, they had known the invasion was coming prior to this land grab. He considered the map of the south of Albar. Essentially that robbed Elsira of a large chunk of their conquest. More than that it added more forces to the Grand Duchy. On the surface it could well seem like a coincidence. The prince knew well there was no such thing as coincidence, only the appearance of it. Knowing that kept one alive in the Elsiran court. 

 

The Grand General had been given a leave of absence of a year almost immediately upon her requesting it. Which meant the forces deployed in Albar were currently simply an occupation force, not the bulk of the Elsiran army. This was standard really, nothing too out of the ordinary there. When put together however the trap emerged. He had been given a province with a portion of its land in fact having been lost before the war ever started, with an occupation force smaller than most, and an enemy to the south that was now very aware of the threat to the north due to that little example that was made of Albar. 

 

It was a very dangerous situation. In fact one might say potentially lethal. And he also had no idea who specifically was orchestrating the whole thing. He had known he was being put far out of the way and set up, but it was only now dawning on him just how elaborate the trap was. He had a couple of guesses but being far from the capital made figuring that out rather difficult. Which meant he would have to figure it out. 

 

The man removed his hair piece from his head and leaned back in his chair. He rubbed the heels of his hands into his eyes as his long dark hair spilled back. It was a mind numbing situation. Handed to him like this it would take a heroic effort to get things moving on a track that didn’t end with him dead at the end of a human’s blade. Very unfortunate. Still, he had a few tools at his disposal now. 

 

“Fetch Selena for me, I need some entertainment I think.” He ordered with a sigh. 

 

The nearest servant bowed and hurried off to carry out his bidding. The Albar princess had proven quite useful in the weeks since she had entered his service. Her knowledge of the country had helped him to figure out how to handle its annexation. As well as what places would need more occupation forces to ensure the rebellious pockets were squashed. A bit too headstrong for a human, but that in itself was entertaining. Usually the humans he dealt with were all absolutely the most broken in and well trained of creatures, anything less would be unworthy of the royal family. So in a way it was interesting to see a free human. Well, formerly. Free minded perhaps. 

 

The door opened again and in walked the servant and seated upon her palm was Selena. He held out his hand and the dark haired woman made the crossover between the two. She was quite fetching for a human he had to admit. The young prince leaned back in his chair and let out a long sigh. “Your country is quite a vexing thing to rule, princess.” 

 

She set her hand on her hip. “Apologies for not just presenting our necks for you to step on, your grace.” She said, her tongue rather sharp there. 

 

“Yes it would be a lot easier if you did. My own step is a much lighter thing than most I’m sure you’ll agree.” He remarked. 

 

The woman had a funny look on her face, like she could tell he was mocking her but also realized she had spoken without thinking. She tended to let that slip quite a bit. “I’m surprised it is to be honest. I would have expected a prince of the Empire to be quite fond of crushing humans.” She mused. 

 

“I could crush some for you if you want.” He mused with a little smirk. At her shudder he continued. “I don’t divorce myself from such things. I’ve crushed a few humans in my day, eaten some human dishes. Personally speaking I find a softer touch is to my liking however.” He said. An old answer and an old excuse. 

 

She looked up at him, searching with those dark eyes. He wasn’t sure why but when she gave him looks like that it felt like she was seeing other meanings behind his words. He shifted a bit, hiding his discomfort at the princess’s gaze. “In any event.” He said as he moved his hand over the map table and let her get off. 

 

The next moment later a pair of brown heels slammed into the table, shaking it for the half inch tall woman. He set his hands behind his head and shifted a foot to the side, lifting a brow as she looked at him looking up in confusion. “You’ve the honor of attending a prince of Elsira, princess. Really it's not something anyone would allow an untrained human to do.” He boomed down to her. 

 

“I-I wait, how am I supposed to- what am I supposed to…” She looked quite flustered. 

 

“Remember what you did when you thanked me for saving the lives of your fellows? A little like that. Maybe a little more tongue and groveling.” He remarked absently. 

 

She was funny sometimes, she had already debased herself like that once but now that he was specifically ordering it he could see the flicker of defiance in her eyes. It was curious to him how she could get like that. It was some kind of mental disconnect perhaps, where they would give it willingly but being ordered to do something like that generated a resistance. Humans were a strange species really. 

 

Eventually he could see her visibly swallow her pride and bowed her head. “Of course, your grace, I am your slave after all.” She managed to get out as she made her way forward. 

 

It was a pretty unfair thing to ask of just one person. Especially when she was only half an inch tall. One foot alone was vastly larger than she was, let alone the pair that were before her. His ears twitched ever so as he picked up a sigh from her. “This is degrading.” She groused. 

 

He shrugged. “All depends on how you see it. If it makes you feel any better any elf around would do the same thing in a heartbeat.” Virion noted. 

 

“Anyone tell you that you’re full of yourself, your grace?” She remarked. 

 

“I like to think I’ve a realistic assessment of myself, princess. Not feeling enough tongue by the way.” He said. 

 

Despite her sigh she went to work for all she was worth, which scale wise wasn’t much. He meanwhile relaxed and closed his eyes, dismissing the current state of affairs from his mind for the moment. For a moment he imagined he was back home, lounging in the finest furniture, rivers of wine available whenever he desired, every possible pleasure or need he had met at a moment’s notice. Out here there were less of such things, they tried but it was no match for the capital. Truly he’d been spoiled all his life. 

 

Eventually she had managed to climb up between his big and second toes of the right foot, the dark haired princess breathing rather heavily from her exertion. Very likely never been forced to do any kind of labor in her life. Much like him really, though the marked difference between the conquered and the conqueror was blatant to see. One of his eyes opened and he watched her plant kisses along the side of the toes, her tongue peeking out from behind her lips to lick. Her face was flushed with just utter humiliation. 

 

The prince idly curled his toes around her, drawing a gasp as the soft brown skin embraced her on all sides. She was pinned and squirming between his toes, Virion careful not to apply too much pressure. He held her like that for a moment until he felt her relax, a sign she recognized she couldn’t escape even if she tried. It was an implicit recognition of the difference between them as human and elf and so he splayed his toes again. She took a moment to catch her breath before wordlessly resuming her work.

 

“I’m curious. You wanted to say no but you didn’t. Why is that?” He asked outright, causing her to jump slightly. 

 

She looked at him for a few moments. “You aren’t like most elves.” She said simply with a shrug. 

 

Now that was certainly news to him. “How do you figure that?” 

 

“You haven’t gone out of your way to humiliate me all the time. In fact, you have treated me well for the most part. Less of a plaything and more of a valued captive. You ask me about the ways of Albar and its people.” She answered carefully, drawing a sharp laugh from him as he shook his head. 

 

“How monstrous we are viewed if the bar for kindness and mercy is so low as I.” He remarked. 

 

He was very cognizant for how his race had to be viewed by humans. Monsters, enemies, cruel tyrants that killed and enslaved and butchered wherever they went. It made trying to approach this situation diplomatically difficult. Which was the whole point. The point was to make this as impossible a task as could be. His brows knitted in frustrations as that ever looming problem hung heavy over him. 

 

“Is something troubling you, your grace?” The princess’s question drew him from his thoughts. 

 

He idly splayed his toes to get a better look at her, the tiny woman stumbling slightly upon the webbing as he considered the question. Well, there was no harm in voicing his issue to the woman he supposed. Not as though she was going to go blabbing about it. So he took a deep breath and essentially laid out the situation as it stood. Getting his words out there helped to frame it and to her credit the tiny woman didn’t interrupt. She didn’t speak until the end. 

 

“I don’t quite understand. You are a prince of your country, no?” She asked. 

 

“A prince, yes. Not a popular one among the more… conservative arms of Elsiran society. I am not one in favor of the continuation of the war as it stands. It costs many of our own lives to continue it which is a fact not touted by the propaganda of course. It is glorious to die for the cause and advancement of Elsira and the Empress. To bring the human race to heel is our destiny. Whatever the cost, it is gladly paid.” He snorted at the end there. “It is easy for the ones sitting high to say that. I say that as one that sits high. I have seen veterans of the war, maimed and hurt and scarred in the mind as well as the body. As well, we lost many civilians to your brother.” 

 

She frowned. “Are you trying to say what my brother did was wrong but what you do is right?” 

 

“No. That is not what I am saying. I am pointing out a fact, princess. When your brother sacked three elven settlements he displaced tens of thousands of people. We have done the same, we have done worse. If we had not attacked Albar we would not have lost those civilians. Those people would still be alive to do what they could to contribute to Elsira. Instead they are gone, dead, lost forever. Just as many of your people are gone, dead, and lost forever. Whatever their contributions might have been we will never know. How many great artists, composers, mages, and writers have we lost through the course of this war I wonder?” The Prince said at length, letting out a long sigh. “That is why I am here. I question these things. I made the mistake of questioning them openly. So here I am, far from where I can cause problems.” 

 

It was more than he had been meaning to say but it all came flooding out and the absolute helpless frustration had his voice take on an edge. Virion locked his jaw and looked at the princess between his big and second toes. She was looking at him along the length of his leg and his vast form. Those dark eyes again seemed to be gauging him. Considering him and seeing his words. 

 

“Why don’t you cause problems here then?” She mused. 

 

He blinked at that. “I’m sorry, what?” 

 

“What I mean is, it sounds like you don’t have the luxury of an orthodox approach to this whole situation. And as I understand it, you have total autonomy to rule your province yes? So why not do things in a manner that you see fit, rather than what wider Elsira sees fit?” The princess questioned. 

 

He was still failing to see what she was talking about here and for whatever reason it made him feel like he was missing something obvious she was alluding to. “Go on.” 

 

“You have access to resources here. Elven resources… and human resources. The humans of Albar haven’t all been reduced yet if I’m not mistaken. Why not make use of them? As in, really make use of them? They can do labor, ferry goods, work fields, and other such things and pay Elsiran taxes. It's a labor pool that other provinces don’t tap. It would also give you a wealth of resources at your disposal immediately, which you sorely need given the matters to the south.” Selena said. 

 

Now the light went off in his head what she was talking about. “If I let humans have equal rights to elves I’d be hung by my own people before the Grand Duchy crossed the border.” He remarked. 

 

She shook her head. “I’m not talking about equal rights, your grace. I’m talking about some degree of tolerance. Call them whatever you want, slaves, workers, serfs, just make it so they aren’t bugs crushed underfoot. Make it so they do the work that is beneath the elves settling here. A servant caste, rather than a caste murdered out of hand for amusement. As well, to the humans, you would appear until a merciful soft hand compared to the murderers they’ve fought and bled against. You lose basically nothing, but potentially gain so very much.” She leaned in and kissed the side of his toe lightly. “Give us something, by giving us nothing.” 

 

He watched her very carefully and weighed what she was saying. It was absolutely unheard of. Without question the most radical idea to have been presented to Elsiran royalty. However she wasn’t wrong. She absolutely wasn’t wrong. It wouldn’t win over every human. Not by a longshot. But especially emancipating the already reduced humans, it would earn him good will to an extent. As well as an untapped labor pool. Of course, there were risks of a revolt and it backfiring on him. But he was already in a very difficult situation. 

 

He smirked wryly at the woman kissing his toe. “Now why do I suddenly feel like it is I wrapped around your toe rather than you around mine at the moment?” He mused. 

 

“I certainly can confirm I’m wrapped around yours.” She remarked with a little chuckle. 

 

“I will consider your suggestion, Princess Selena. Ah, it goes without saying of course but alas I’ve grown rather fond of you at that size. So I do hope you won’t be expecting to escape it so easily.” He remarked. 

 

It was something. This was something he could work with. Where before he had nothing, the princess had once more proven she had a mind behind that pretty face. A mind he found himself growing more to appreciate.