- Text Size +

When she was only a few steps from the front rank of archers, the Farrara troops opened their lines with much shouting of orders and banging of drums and Selena marched down a gauntlet of saluting swordsmen to where Baron Salitra sat on a 30 foot high stage that had hastily been erected in the center of the camp.  Selena marched up to him and halted.  "Baron Salitra," she said, and bowed from the waist like a man.

The baron rose from his chair and walked toward the front of the  stage.  .  "Welcome, Lady Selena.  You caught me somewhat by surprise.  I was expecting Lord Zoltan to arrive first, according to our understanding."

"Perhaps I misunderstood," said Selena.  "I beg your pardon.  Shall we proceed, or should I go back and send Lord Zoltan first?"

There were shouts from the watch towers and a general hubbub arose. The men began milling about and there were angry shouts.  "Is something wrong?" asked Selena.

Baron Salitra pointed across the plain.  Selena turned and saw a lone rider receding rapidly into the desert.  "Oh," said Selena sadly.  "It seems that my Master has changed his mind."

"We cannot catch him," said Salitra.  "Your plan has worked marvelously.  He has my stallion, possibly the fastest horse in all the world.  Certainly the fastest in my army."

"This is most unfortunate," said Selena, turning back to the baron.  "But all is not lost.  I have another suggestion to make."  Around her, she could hear men falling in, ballistas being wound, and bows being drawn tight.

"Speak quickly, giantess," said the Baron.  "My men are outraged. If you see a way out of this predicament, act quickly before I lose control of the situation."

"I do," said Selena.  "May I sit down?"

The baron gave orders for the men to fall back from the dias and Selena sat down.  She then pulled off the boots and stood up again, holding the boots in her hand.  Slowly, she leaned over and placed the boots on the ground before her.  She immediately began to shrink down to human size along with the boots.  There were amazed gasps from the assembled soldiers.  Although the legend of Zoltan's boots was well known, there were few people who had witnessed a giant turning into a human before there very eyes.  

When Selena was human sized, she picked up the boots and tucked them under her arm.  She called up to the baron who was still standing on the raised platform high above her head.  He was staring down at her with hands braced on his hips.  "Well now, Baron," said Selena.  "Are you coming down here, or should I climb up there?"

There was a burst of laughter from the assembled soldiers and Selena knew that the danger was passed.  They no longer feared her.

"Do not trouble yourself, Lady Selena," the baron replied.  "I will come down."  When he reached the ground, he stood before her, a tall, regal man looking down at a young woman only a little over five feet tall.  "Give me your hand, if it pleases you," said the baron, reaching out with his right.

Selena complied and the baron bowed deeply and kissed her gloved hand.  He seemed surprised when he saw that she was now wearing gloves, but he made no mention of it.  "Won't you come to my tent and have supper, my lady," said the baron.

"With pleasure," said Selena.  "We have much to talk about."

The baron's tent was big and roomy and he had many of the comforts of a castle.  The meal was laid out on a wooden table on silver and porcelain dishes.  There was roast pork, bread, wine, an assortment of cheeses, and boiled carrots.  For those days, it was an elegant feast and no small accomplishment for an army field kitchen.

"You realize that my men are persuing Zoltan," said the baron, in a conversational tone.

"I thought you said it was useless to try to overtake him on that horse," said Selena.

"It is useless, but I could not deny my cavalry the opportunity to try," said the baron.  "I hope you will not be offended by this action."

"Under the circumstances, I can not be critical," said Selena.  "I swear to you that Zoltan did not confide his plans to me."

"Will you tell me something, Lady Selena," said the Baron.  "If perchance Zoltan is run to ground by my men, is there a chance that he will turn into a giant and kill them?"

"No," said Selena. "Zoltan has no more power."

"If he reaches his capital, will he bring an army against us?"

"He has no army and he has no supporters," said Selena.  "With one exception."

"And you are the exception?"

Selena nodded.  "The power that was his is now mine, but I have vowed to use it in behalf of Zoltan and his empire."

"You say that you serve Zoltan," the baron remarked.  "But if he orders you to do something that you believe to be wrong…"

"I remain true to Zoltan," said Selena.  "But I will not obey an order that is immoral, unjust, or unconscionable."

"And since you have the boots, he cannot force you to act in violation of your conscience.  I think I understand.  The boots are the key to everything.  Zoltan is helpless now, but if I take my army and go after him, you will put on the boots and try to stop me."

"I will stop you," said Selena.

The baron shook his head.  "How can you remain loyal to such a monster?  What is he to you?"

"He trusted me once," said Selena.  "He gave the boots willingly into my hands upon my oath of allegiance.  I will not betray him, no matter what he has done in the past."

"So what are we to do?" said the baron.  "I cannot return to Farrara empty handed.  But if I carry-on with my mission, you will put on your boots and fight me."

"I will," said Selena.  "I have no lust for blood, but if you force me to do so, I will trample your soldiers beneath my boots.  I will kill no more than is necessary, but I will kill if I must."

"What then do you propose?"

Selena said, "I will travel to Farrara and speak to your king.  I will offer him the reparations of gold and Zoltan's apology."

"And if he accepts?"

"Then I will go to Zoltan's treasure house and obtain the gold," Selena replied.   "I  will bring the gold and lay it before the feet of your liege lord.  And then there will peace between our people's."

"What if Zoltan tries to stop you?" asked the baron.

"He cannot stop me," said Selena.  "My duty to Zoltan does not require me to break my vow to your king."

The baron nodded.  "I suppose it is worth a try." He smiled and said, "I have come to like you, Lady Selena.  I would be much grieved if we were forced to make war on one another.  Let us hope that war can be avoided."

"And I admire you was well, baron," Selena replied.  "You are a man of honor and I value that."

"Thank you." The baron looked around the table and said, "It seems our dinner is concluded.  No doubt you would like a bath and a soft bed for the night.  I have made arrangements and my orderly will conduct you to your quarters when you are ready."

It was very late and the mention of a bed caused Selena to yawn.  "I need a bed very badly," she said.  "But I long for a bath.  May I go to it now?"

"Of course."  Salitra gave a signal to his servant and he stepped forward.

"May I carry your boots my lady?" asked the servant.

"No, I will carry them," said Selena, and followed the servant from the baron's tent.  The servant took her to another tent and indicated a large copper tub filled with hot, steaming water.
"If you need more hot water, call out and I will bring it," said the orderly.  "But I must warn you that there are no serving maids with the army.  All of the baron's servants are men."

"I understand," said Selena.  "You are very considerate.  You may go now.  I will call when I need you."

When the servant was gone, Selena put down the boots and undressed.  She eased her naked body into the warm water and lay back to enjoy its cleansing warmth.  Twice she called for more hot water, and remained luxuriating in the tub for almost an hour.  Finally, however, she stepped out, dried her body and looked around for her clothes.  She wished she had some cleaner more comfortable clothes, but there was no help for it.  The magic garments of Zoltan were leather and she decided to wash them with a damp cloth before putting them back on.

It was then she saw the boots were gone, along with her leggings, breeches, and jacket.  "Orderly!" she called out.

This time the orderly did not appear.  Instead, Baron Salitra stepped into the tent and he was holding Selena's boots in his hand.  "Are you looking for these, milady?" said the baron, wearing an evil grin.

Selena darted out her hand for the boots; it was a desperate but hopeless act.  The baron laughed, seized her hand and drew her from the tent naked where two soldiers were waiting.  The baron shoved her down and said to the soldiers, "Bring her.  I want the witch to see her boots burn before we burn her!"

"No!" cried Selena.  "I am not a witch!"

"Shut up, witch!" said a soldier as he roughly seized her.  They dragged her between the rows of tents to the center of the camp where she saw that what had been a 30 foot high stage and been turned into a huge bonfire, ready to be lit.  There were men with torches forming a ring around the huge woodpile.  "Take her to the top!" ordered Salitra.

Selena was afraid now, for she saw she was about to be burned alive.  Her skin crawled with the horror of it and she began to scream in terror.  She begged for mercy and forgot all about dignity.  Her end was near, but she must pass through a nightmare of pain to reach it.  Merciful goddess!  Spare me!

They tied her to a post on the top of the wood pile, then  left her there.  She looked down and saw the torches applied to the lower edge of the stack.  Soon, a circle of fire began to grow around her.  She could not yet feel the heat, but the flames were steadily rising up the stack toward her.

"Your boots, witch!" shouted the baron.  "Take them with you to hell!"  He tossed the boots onto the flames at the foot of the woodpile.

When the boots touched the flame, they caught quickly and began to burn, but after a few seconds, there was a sudden rush of sound and a pillar of flame shot up from the burning boots and they vanished in a flash of light.  The soldiers of Farrara stared in wonder and amazement as the pillar of flame rose up, up into the sky and as it rose, it seemed to draw the fire from the wood into itself.  

Then the fire was out, except for the pillar of flame which became a ball of fire ten feet in diameter which drifted up, up toward Selena.  As the ball of fire drew level with Selena, a tongue of golden sparks shot out from the ball and engulfed her naked body in swirling golden stars.  The flames dwindled and vanished, but as they did so, the body of the girl began to grow, larger and larger.  Her bonds burst as her wrists and legs swelled and the bonfire collapsed beneath her feet as she grew within seconds into a mighty giantess, much bigger than ever before.
Selena looked down at the Farrara camp which spread out at her feet as rows and rows of campfires, gleaming in the dark.  The men with the torches were fleeing away from her and when they tossed their torches away, some of them fell on tents and stacks of fodder.  Selena watched in awe as the Farrara camp seemed to destroy itself as she watched.  In every direction were spreading flames and she could not see the tiny men on the ground in the darkness.   Selena began to walk from the camp, not knowing if she were treading on the terrified fleeing soldiers.  If she did step on anyone, she hoped that Baron Salitra was one of them.