- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Introduction to Madison

 

"We've spent 25 years, billions of dollars, tested thousands of times, but we still can't fucking figure out how to access other portals out there?! You are all a joke, a waste of time, I can't believe I work with a bunch of incompetent children!"

Madison had grown used to this type of response. Her boss, Dr. Volpe, tended to have a short fuse and temper, especially when it came to their trials and runs in contacting other dimensions and universes. She just let him go off on her and all the other technicians before cursing under his breath and storming off. She thought sometimes was this even worth it, but the pay she received reminded her that anything is worth it.

She and her team have been trying for years to reach a different universes portal. They had made contact 5 years ago but since then, haven't been able to fully contact or connect with them. They knew that this other universe seemed to be parallel to theirs. They spoke English, shared the same calendar and time standards, and even similar names. Ever since this contact they tried everyday to reach them to help them with their portal and make contact. After another unsuccessful attempt and berating from her boss she sat back in her chair on the lab floor looking over what could be changed.

She started working at Volpe Industries several years ago in the analytics department. Crunching numbers, creating and solving equations, tying together that with the computer coding department landed her this position. She likes to think that her promotion and succession within the company was due to her smarts and academic skills, but she knew unfortunately, her looks played a part in her consideration from her boss, Dr. Volpe. She wasn't a super model but wasn't unactive either. She was about 5'0'' even, not thin but curvy enough to still wear sexy clothing when warranted. She had long dark hair and a dark complexion, her waist was wide and rocked a very nice ass that she knew granted her some unwanted stares, but her bust was what got most of the attention.

Underneath her work clothes and lab coat, she attempted to maintain and hide as best as she could her huge breasts. They had been huge her whole life and she had gotten used to them and the attention they gave her, even thought most of the time is was unwanted attention from douchebags or creeps, Dr. Volpe being both of those. The last bra she bought was a 32G Cup size. She tried her best to contain them under her clothes, but with their size and tight fitted clothing, even under a lab coat you could notice them jiggle and wobble with each step. She ignored all the looks and comments made by fellow workers, knowing soon she'd be done with this place and able to retire at the young age of 35.

Madison got up to follow Dr. Volpe to report the results of the test today as she did after every test, but as she was about to enter his office, she heard he was on the phone with what seemed to be a board member through the cracked door.

"No. Another failure today, but we're close I know it. Who ever or whatever comes through will be contained and sent to the lab for evaluation and tests. Yes I know, but we need to see what they're like and examine them undeterred."

She was disgusted, she thought all this time that they were reaching out to be helpful and make a friendly connection, but this was simply for harvesting and studying other beings. She couldn't believe that she was aiding and abetting this whole scheme. She was about to head back to her desk in disgust when Dr. Volpe opened the door to call her in.

"Madison. Please come in." He said sternly.

Had he saw her listening in on the call? Was he about to fire her? She couldn't just confront and expose him right there, she would be shunned and banned from the facility and no one would believe her. She hesitantly turned and forced a smile towards him as she walked into his office. She stood the front of his desk as he walked by her to sit down and discuss the notes and data from the test. As he sat, she saw him eye her up and down and smile slyly like the creep he was.

"So, what're the results from today? How did we fare out compared to last week's run?"

She was sweating with nerves still thinking about the conversation she had just overheard.

"Umm... they were uh..."

"What's wrong Maddi, I can call you Maddi right?''

She nodded hesitantly. Only close family and friends could call her that. She knew he was doing it to press her buttons. Even her ex boyfriend didn't call her that.

"You seem nervous, like you got something to say and are withholding? You wouldn't withhold anything from me, would you?" he asked in a prying type of tone.

"No, just uhh not feeling well" she said while clearing her throat. Was he onto her? Was he testing her and baiting her into confessing she heard everything? She composed herself as best as she could.

"The results today aren't much different than last weeks; I need to make some adjustments to the power level and change the flow of power so that its not all at once. I'll look at that first thing in the morning for you to ready ourselves for next week's test."

As she turned and headed out, he stopped her saying "I think it'd be best if you worked on that tonight. We're planning a run first thing Monday so it needs to be adjusted now." He said this in a condescending tone as if he were doing this to spite her on a Friday afternoon.

"Yes sir, I'll go get working on it now then." She said hastily. She couldn't wait to get out of his presence. After what she overheard and how he was, she wanted nothing to do at all with him. Just to get her work done until her contract was up and the never come back. As she walked out the door, he called to her one more time.

"Oh and Maddi? If I were you, I'd make sure to keep the conversation you overheard to yourself. You know, for confidentiality reasons. Have a good night."

She was terrified, she wanted to puke right there on the spot. All she could think of to do in response was to nod silently and scurry off. She got back to her workstation and started the process of calculating and adjusting numbers to make the proper changes and end her night. It was hard to focus though, with what had just happened. Her mind was racing, and it was causing her to take much longer to work on these adjustments. Her co-workers were all packing up and getting ready to leave, but she still had hours of work to do.

 When her final co-worker left, she looked up and realized she was the last one left. The lights at the other stations were off and the only other source of light and sound was coming from the inactive portal in front of her. She looked over the numbers and started to scratch her head when she looked deeper into the results. Apparently according the results, they had made contact, and something came through. She was shocked, excited, terrified all at once. If they had successfully reached the other side, where was the evidence? Where was this object or being that came through? When she was pondering this the portal started up on its own, growing louder and brighter. She looked up and in an instant the portal flashed a blinding light then died down again. She hid behind her station, terrified, heart racing, unsure of what just happened or who was potentially there now.

She slowly brought herself up to look over the desk, and to her relief, nothing was there. She was confused though about it all. Why would it startup on its own? No one was around to operate and shut it down. It didn't make any sense. She slowly walked up to the platform and noticed something at the base of the portal. As she approached slowly, she started to see what this item was. It looked like a toy, like an action figure, dressed in a lab coat and with a prop clipboard with it too. Was this the item that came through? Did the successfully receive a toy? It wasn't a living item, but still exciting and exhilarating none the less.

She got closer to examine it. She gabbed a magnifying glass to examine closer and forceps to use to handle it if it seemed unsafe to touch and a ruler to measure it. She got up next to it and crouched down. She placed the ruler next to it and it appeared to be around 2.5-3 inches in length. She noticed how realistic the hair and clothing looked on it and found it quite odd to have such realistic details on a toy. She carefully used the forceps to turn the figure over and to her astonishment it moved slightly to the touch and force of her flipping it over. She saw the tiny chest moving up and down ever so slightly with the magnifying glass. She couldn't comprehend what she was seeing. In front of her lied what appeared to be a living human male, just scaled down to 2.5 inches tall. She was in shock. It wasn't just enough that a possible toy came through but an actual living miniature human. This was groundbreaking. Then she remembered what Dr. Volpe was saying earlier on the phone. That anything that came through would be tested and examined thoroughly. She looked back down again at this little man. She could see the details of his face. He has a strong jaw line, dark hair, a neatly trimmed short beard. He had broad shoulders and seemed to be fit from his appearance. She actually thought he was kind of hot albeit if it weren't for the fact, he was half the size of her index finger. What ever happened in the portal travel, must have knocked him out for a while.

She thought about it, about just letting Dr. Volpe and everyone know about this finding, but her caring and gentle demeanor overruled that idea almost immediately. She decided to take him back to her apartment with her to watch over and care for. She couldn't just let this innocent small defenseless man be subjugated to inhumane tests and lab conditions. So she carefully and ever so gently picked him up between her index finger and thumb. It was insane how light he was, if she weren't aware of it, she wouldn't even know she was holding anything. She placed him softly into her palm and slowly walked over to her desk. She grabbed a tissue and placed him in and wrapped him carefully to place in her bag. Once he as safe for travel, she placed him in an internal pocket in her bag and left the office in a hurry to rush home to examine and learn more about this new visitor.