- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Not a lot of size in this chapter, mostly just depictions of major parts of the conflict. Toward the end there is some size however.

July, 907 E.C.

 

With the summer warmth, the Elsiran Imperial Army mobilized in force against the armies of Albar. This push was two pronged. A force of 30,000 from Fort Lylren would approach from the north under the command of General Astryn and attempt to deal with Fort Ehbach. In the meantime Grand General Nalista would lead a force of 20,000 down from Lylaserien. They would cross the Pothmer River in their own territory and loop up toward Gerbach. It would mean passing through a good deal of thick forests, but that was simply the way it would have to be. 

 

Gerbach was a strategically important place for the war, its position would make it so a major section of the Pothmer River would be controlled by the Empire. With control of Ehbach as well it would enable them flexibility for how and what direction to continue the invasion from. It would have been a rather flawlessly executed plan if things went as predicted. Unfortunately it seemed that wouldn’t be happening. 

 

Nalista had miscalculated. Badly. Rather than bother to defend Gerbach, Prince Rickard had evidently ordered the town burned in much the same manner of Ostreach and the population evacuated to Oberzarken across the next river crossing. As for the attack on Ehbach. An absolute disaster. The siege had started and once their backs were turned Prince Rickard reamed them up the ass. Caught between the Black Rose and the defending forces of Ehbach sallying forth it was a complete route. They had lost half of the army as General Astryn was evidently killed. 

 

Nalista scratched her chin as she dismissed the rider that had rode hard to inform her of the defeat of General Astryn. Her war council had gathered in the ruined hall of the town’s lord. Everything of value had been stripped of the place. All of the fields burned and all of the livestock slaughtered. She had to give it to the Prince, resource denial made her actions much easier for him to predict. 

 

“Your grace, it's a temporary setback. We can regroup with the scattered forces and-” One man started but was silenced by an upraised hand. 

 

“Stop talking. The noise is making it difficult to think.” She said absently as she bent over the map. She shifted the pieces around on her map to get a better idea of the tactical situation with a bird’s eye view. 

 

She paced around the map as though a different angle would tell her another story and shooed the noble elf standing on the side of the map out of her way. The position was very unfortunate. They were unable to establish a decent supply chain where they were. The hope had been bloodying the Prince’s nose here and forcing him back. With both Ehbach and Gerbach in her hands she could have established a chain to supply the war effort. The bigger picture of what he was trying to do wasn’t lost on her either. 

 

The thing preventing her from staging attacks into greater Albar was the inability to get a foothold that could be held. She knew this because she employed similar tactics in the past, not of burning her own towns and such but in disrupting the enemy’s internal supply chains. Armies without supplies had their movements easier to control. War was a dance of control and currently the board was being dictated by Prince Rickard. The sensible move was to return home and try to attack by sea. Since attacks by land without a decent network and multiple directions the enemy could attack from would result in her death. That was what Rickard intended for her to do. 

 

“...Dalia. I want our mages to work on something.” She stated. 

 

“Your grace?” She cocked her head. 

 

“Within the Imperial Heartlands, they have implemented the use of teleportation gates. Essentially ways to link cities together without the need for long overland travel. I wish to implement this here to a rough approximation and link our current position to Lylaserien. Enough that supplies and people can be moved freely between our two locations to enough of a degree to support our army.” The Grand General said. 

 

Dalia’s eyes widened. “Your grace, that will be quite difficult to do-” 

 

“Can it be done? Or can it not be done? That is all I need to know, Dalia.” Nalista’s eyes cut the woman and caused her to wince. 

 

“...Given a couple of days of testing, yes. I believe we might be able to do this. It won’t be anything fancy like the ones in the homeland but it could theoretically be done. Also we would likely be limited to just the one with the supplies we have on hand.” The battlemage answered. 

 

“Excellent. You have one day to test and verify its function. We don’t need fancy, we need functional and if this works one will be all we need.” Nalista said. 

 

August, 907 E.C.

 

After the victory at Ehbach and the routing of the Elsiran army there was high morale among the forces of Albar. Prince Rickard had been hailed as a hero of the hour and defender of humanity against the elven menace. He had little mind for such celebrations as his attention was to the south and where the Grand General’s army was. He had immediately set to work deploying his forces along the border of the north. 

 

At least that had been what the plan had been. Then it reached him that Oberzarken was under siege by an enormous and well supplied Elsiran warhost numbering 40,000 strong. Needless to say that had rather been something of a shock. There was no way the Grand General could have found the supplies to cross the river and then lay siege to Oberzarken with such numbers. It was beyond feasible belief. Then he actually read the scouting reports of Gerbach. 

 

“Cursed Elven Magic.” Spat one of his captains. 

 

“Cursed but effective. I didn’t consider the possibility she might try something like that.” Rickard mused. 

 

That left them in something of a tricky situation. If Nalista was capable of instantly transporting supplies and troops across vast distances that would mean attempts at forcing her back by disrupting her supply chain would be trickier. He scratched his head as he looked over his map. Things were not looking so good. Oberzarken was the gate to the Albar heartlands. If she managed to penetrate there it would make stopping her advance quite difficult. Especially with her magical support now. 

 

He scratched his beardless chin as he leaned in, wracking his brain for what to do. Fort Ehbach wasn’t terribly far away. If he forced marched his way down there it was likely they could make it in time. However it would mean directly facing the Grand General in the field. Not ideal. Something he would rather avoid. 

 

“Your grace!” There was a pounding at the door as a messenger entered with a scroll. He bore the livery of his brother. 

 

He held out his hand for the scroll and opened it up. His eyes scanned the parchment and he felt icewater fill his veins. He read over it once, twice. Then he set it onto the table. He had a stricken look on his face as he looked down at the map, trying to take deep calming breaths. His captains looked at him with clear concern as one looked over the message and read it aloud slowly for everyone. 

 

“Prince Grimnar has sallied forth from Areshamber to aid the defense of Oberzarken. He marches with 15,000 and requests aid from Prince Rickard and the forces under him in breaking the siege.” 

 

“That damn fool… This is bad.” Rickard said. 

 

On the surface that seemed like excellent news. His brother was marching to the defense of a vital strategic asset. He would likely arrive before Rickard, ever the gloryhound. His brother was a strong man. A gallant, strong, powerful warrior. A straightforward and honorable soldier through and through. The kind of general that Grand General Nalista had been drinking from her goblet since before their entire family line first sprung up. 

 

His first impulse was to march to Oberzarken. To hope to save his brother. However that would play right into the hands of Nalista. Above all, Rickard wished to avoid facing her on the field of direct battle. Her mages granted her an overwhelming tactical edge. As well, her command staff had countless years under their belts facing many different human armies. He stared at the message brought before him and then to the map. 

 

“Your grace?” His captains were looking to him for orders. 

 

He considered the situation at hand, warring between emotions and logic. He already knew what his plan was, putting it into words was proving difficult. “We march south, toward Gerbach’s ruins and their teleportation setup.” He ordered. “Have our own mages on standby. Their talents will be needed.” He had to hope and pray his brother’s strength would see him through.

 

August, 907 E.C. 

 

It was interesting how most humans seemed to think. They were not incapable of tactical thinking, however what most lacked was a bigger picture mentality. They couldn’t look beyond the immediate. Likely due to the short lifespans. Perhaps that was why Prince Rickard interested her. He, like her, seemed to have a view toward the bigger picture. He could look back from a situation and see how things were. 

 

Not a trait that ran in the family it seemed. The second Nalista’s scouts reported Prince Grimnar’s forces she had swiftly set about redeploying her army. They had enough to maintain their siege and also split off to deal with Grimnar. She met him with ten thousand. No more would be needed from what she had deduced of his overall composition and strength. His method of attack and formations honestly were very simplistic. More like what she had expected when she invaded. 

 

She sat astride her unicorn mount, the horned beast armored in the finest of equipment. She overlooked the battlefield from her spot upon a hill. Oberzarken’s most costly part of the siege had been crossing the river to the other side. Now that she controlled that side of the river, it did leave them exposed to attacks coming from the direction Prince Grimnar was coming from to the east. Though fortunately the terrain was suited for her to defend her army when it came down to it. He would have to cross the hilly terrain she had arrayed her ten thousand upon. 

 

There was no request for parlay, no negotiation. That was typical as well. It was after all well established there was no lasting peace between Elsira and its neighbors and a well known fact that Nalista herself was famed for her total war approach. She couldn’t recall the last time she had brokered for peace. It certainly wouldn’t be today. The forces of Albar surged forward and truly the charge of their cavalry was a spectacle to behold. An impressive sight of gleaming armor in the daylight. 

 

Nalista smirked as the ground shook and was torn asunder before their charge. Hundreds of spikes shot up from the ground, formed from their mages. The horses whined and screamed as the sudden wall of sharp objects was presented to them. Some ran straight into them, while others ended up scattering from it. The result was a charge thrown into chaos and from there it was a simple enough task to have her own cavalry enter the fray. 

 

The dividing matter of their two races was the value they placed on magic as a strategic resource really. The elves regarded it as their tool to break the chains placed upon them by humanity. It was deeply embedded in their culture and indeed almost all of the ruling class were mages to some degree. Nalista was no unmatched master of the arcane but even she knew a decent amount. Humans regarded it as a curiosity more than anything else. They overlooked its full tactical use in war beyond a few fireballs. 

 

She watched the infantry come up behind to support the cavalry, Zweihanders weidling their impressive two handed swords. Evidently the Prince was among them. They were certainly impressive she had to admit, their weapons carving a bloody swathe whenever they were swung. They seemed to raise the morale of those around them significantly. Elite troops of Albar really. 

 

Little good it did them. There was a pulse of purple energy that fell over them and suddenly all of their troops found themselves moving quite slowly. By contrast another pulse of energy saw their own troops speed up. Time alteration magic. Honestly she was surprised more humans didn’t make use of it or at least come up with defenses against it. There was a reason that fighting her in the field was a poor idea. She was very much liberal with using magic to crush her opponents. 

 

She held up her own hand and a surge of energy welled up within her as her eyes glowed a brilliant green. She blew on her hand and sent out a wave over green energy pulsing out over the battlefield. Foul energies twisted around the bodies of the fallen warriors and soon enough they rose up, hundreds of shells that once had held life all over the field shambling to their feet and lifting weapons against their comrades. 

 

It was an absolutely chaotic madness for the human forces as they faced magic raining upon them. Those that managed to make it to their foes found them moving with swiftness that defied human ability. Those that rained arrows upon them found them plink against energy barriers erected against her gleaming army of ten thousand. Dead men rose from the grave at her behest, striking fear in the hearts of their fellows. It was an offensive that no human army was used to facing. No human army could face it. To face Nalista in the field was to step into the domain of a Goddess of War and Battle.

 

So it was that in the matter of about twenty minutes after the initial charge against her, the Albar forces broke. She snorted in disdain and started to move her unicorn mount back toward the siege. “What a disappointment. Take the Prince alive if you can. I intend to toast our victory in the halls of Oberzarken in a few days and he’ll make a fine addition to that I think.” She ordered blandly. 

 

This victory meant nothing to her. In the larger scheme it was no doubt a psychological blow to have their crown prince defeated and soon to be drunk down by the Grand General, however her eyes were on other matters. Beyond this siege and to the movements of Prince Rickard. Was he riding to the defense of his brother? Or did he have another plan? 

 

“The true test, little prince. Let us see what rules you, logic or impulse.” Nalista smirked. 

 

September 907 E.C.

 

The halls of Oberzarken once bore the red and black livery of the Albar Empire. Now it was adorned with the trappings of Elsira and the Grand General. The feast tables once home to humans now housed the officers of the army of elves. Nalista looked down from on high, seated upon the throne formerly held by the Count of Oberzarken. A count that tried to outrun her seating herself down on his now vast seat. It was no use of course as she sat down, pinning his now small form beneath her rear. 

 

“A hard won and hard fought victory. We’ve bled for our gains in Albar more than many places. Today we have a true triumph over our enemies. Oberzarken’s people will tremble in the shadow of their natural superiors. All humans of Albar will soon know their place, under elven heel.” Nalista said, a cheer erupting through the hall. 

 

The ruling and wealthy of Oberzarken and the commanders of their forces were upon their tables, upon the floor scrabbling in panic, they were reduced to mere entertainment for their betters. Crushed, eaten, drank down without a concern. The lucky ones would be rendered playthings and toys. Nalista for her part gripped her goblet and gestured for a servant to approach. She crossed her right leg over her left and felt a pop beneath her rear as the Count popped from the idle movement. How pitiful. 

 

She looked down inside of her goblet and saw the rather well muscled and impressive half inch tall form of Prince Grimnar. Handsome, for a human anyway. He was currently trying to claw at the inside of her golden cup, trying to escape from his inevitable fate. She instead imagined his brother inside and felt a shiver of pleasure course down her spine. What a drink that would be. 

 

“You are my first taste of Albar royalty. Do try to struggle and fight going down with all your strength. It's so very disappointing when they meekly accept their end.” She chuckled. 

 

He opened his mouth to respond but Nalista simply presented her goblet to the servant. The elven woman poured out a rushing torrent of wine into the cup, swirling around the royal of the Albar Empire. He coughed and sputtered when he rose up and Nalista lifted her cup high in the air, a motion echoed by her subordinates. All of them hung on her every word and action with the fervor of those that worshiped a goddess of war. 

 

“There will be many more bloody battles to come, my followers. March with me to the ends of the world and help me sample the leaders of all the human race! March until the last human cowers in our shadow! Hail Elsira! Hail the Empress!” She shouted. 

 

“Hail Grand General Nalista!” Came the response from her followers as they lifted their cups up. 

 

She lifted her cup toward her lips slowly, giving the little prince inside the pool of wine to see his doom approaching. Those pristine and perfect lips, beyond anything a human could ever hope to possess. Those glittering blue eyes above, burning with the joy of her victory. Anticipating the taste of her victory. Gravity started to shift as she tipped her cup ever so toward her mouth and the man inside screamed before everything stopped. 

 

Nalista paused as from the side of the room an aide had approached her and was whispering in her triangular ears. Her fingers loosened upon her goblet before the eyes of everyone in the hall and there was a ringing noise as the golden cup landed upon the floor. Perhaps this was a mercy for the human inside as his death came not from slow digestion within the Grand General but from the crashing impact below. Wine spilled out upon the floor and the room went deathly silent in shock. 

 

The towering blonde took a few moments to process those words. She understood what they meant of course, she understood the words but she didn’t quite process them immediately. “Enjoy your feast and celebration tonight, my followers. Tomorrow we have much work to do.” 

 

There was general confusion in the air as Nalista stepped out of the room and toward the room set aside for their war meetings. She left a servant to clean up her mess, the whole thing forgotten in the face of the news she had just gotten. She moved numbly toward her map and looked it over. She moved the forces that had been at Fort Ehbach and placed them where they had set up teleportation between their base camp in Gerbach. 

 

That was not what had caused her to feel like victory had just been snatched from under her wings. She had expected that as a potential move. What she hadn’t expected was what followed. She moved the pieces from Gerbach over to Lylaserien. He had brought mages with him and they had used their construction to get a direct invasion right into the heart of their lands. It wasn’t a recent conquest like Ostreach had been. No, he had managed to reach Elsiran territory. For the first time in centuries a human had managed to penetrate and attack Elsiran settlements. That was enough to turn all her victory to ash in her mouth as she stared at the unprotected heartlands he had access to now.