- Text Size +

Blood trickled from his upper forehead. His arms and legs were covered with mud and grime. Cuts and bruises decorated his body. Brad coughed as he struggled further into the underground. The air wore a thick musk of dust and humidity. As Brad continued, he noticed a soft pulsating white glow laced like vines between the large chunks of stone embedded in the walls. Luminescent flecks floated from the wall's many creases and flocked towards Brad's hands.

 

Initially afraid, he retracted his hand towards his chest, but the flecks approached him gently. They bounced through the air like jellyfish and carried a warming sensation. He looked down at some of the injuries marked on his arm. The flecks edged along the surface of his skin and began engraining themselves into the lacerations. To his ultimate disbelief, the injuries were gone within seconds.

 

Only a few meters ahead of him, the young woman's cries appeared once more. The cries turned to soft sobbing. The tunnel transformed into a vast opening. The ceiling and floor were comprised of metallic, rounded panels. The room appeared like the inside of a cathedral in size and scope. Engravings of ancient figures, mystical lands, and an unknown language were etched into many of the panels. Flocks of the luminescent flecks Brad encountered earlier were dancing through the air.

 

Confused but determined, Brad walked slowly to the railing ahead of him and glanced downwards into the center of the expansive area. The area curved like a colossal dish or bowl. In the middle, a young woman sat and cried. She wore a multi-layered yellow dress and mysterious headpiece. The headpiece obscured her eyes and seemed attached to her in some supernatural way. 

 

The flecks hovered around her aimlessly and periodically zoomed to comfort her, but some sort of field prevented them from drawing near her. Brad was visibly perplexed, but he tried to stay focused. He turned left and right, looking for some way to climb down around the edge of the massive dish. Unfortunately, there was nothing to support his treck down the giant structure. It seemed impossible to get to her, so he yelled out with desperation to the young woman,

 

"Excuse me, miss! D-do you need some help? I heard someone screaming from outside. I was scared."

 

Silence. The young woman was stared at Brad through her headpiece. Brad peered around nervously, awaiting her response. She refused to answer him, so he continued,

 

"I thought someone might have uh-"

 

Suddenly, a powerful force instantenously crumbled the floor around Brad. With a loud boom, he was propelled upwards, over the edge of the railing. The nearby metallic panels tore destructively as debris scattered through the air as he tumbled violently down into the center. The young woman was quick to react. She bounded up the panels with meticulously timed jumps and quickly caught him mid-fall. From the air, she lowered herself back into the center carrying Brad in her arms.

 

Brad wheezed nervously and his hands were shaking. The young woman held her hand up high and summoned the luminscent flecks. They formed a protective aura around them both and locked into a whirling pattern. On the damaged landing where Brad was once standing, a menacing dark figure appeared. The dark figure spoke,

 

"Always calling for attention. You should be more cautious. They're not all as pleasant as him. I've seen their horrors."