- Text Size +

The air was potently sweet with a fragrance of vanilla. As Brad's eyes slowly opened, he reached his hand to rub the back of his head. He felt sick and his bones ached. After a few seconds of massaging his bruised noggin, a tiny spark of light flashed from his hand and echoed down the long corridor.

 

It zapped like electricity, pinging from wall to wall in the darkness. Brad leaned up from his slumber and scrutinized his hand. His hand was glowing and trails of some dark gas floated from finger tips. He moved his nose closer to verify the smell. It was smoke.

 

Fear consumed Brad's mind. He shivered with uncertainty. Thoughts permeated his mind,

 

"What is happening to me? Why couldn't this have just been a simple rescue? Who was that man?"

 

Brad lowered his head. He felt like giving up, but his spirit ignited,

 

 "Sitting here won't answer my questions. I have to keep pushing forward. That girl, Amelia, she'll find me- I hope." 

 

With his new 'hand-held' flashlight, Brad began exploring his surroundings. He was in some sort of metal hallway. The hall was enormous but eerily clean. There was no dust or signs of activity. Brad stumbled forward into the passage. He held his luminescent hand ahead of him and steadily examined the large area for any signs or landmarks.

 

A mysterious sharp, trigonal area appeared on the floor. Brad bent down to investigate this mysterious area of material. With his alternate hand, Brad cautiously pushed down on the material. The sheet was extremely sticky, and Brad's hand was stuck. 

 

Fearing the worst, Brad immediately leaned in the opposite direction to try and remove his hand from the material. He fell back onto himself and rolled over to regain his orientation. His attempt to escape had failed.

 

The floor ahead of him shifted. The shifting revealed the floor to be comprised of narrow steel bands. A thunderous rolling sound joined the revealing of the floor. The grinding sound pierced Brad's ears, and he gasped in pain. 

 

Brad quickly covered his ear with his only available hand. He noticed that some light shined from beneath the floor. It withered through the long openings between the steel beams. Thankfully, the harsh rolling sound then stopped. Brad continued trying to remove his other hand from the sticky surface. As he struggled and groaned in frustration, he paused. Smoke was still emitting from his fingertips on his available hand.

 

Brad arched his wrist back and armed his fingers with precision. He pointed his fingers towards the sticky material near his incapacitated hand. He closed his eyes and centered his thoughts and energy. Lightning shimmered from his fingertips for a brief moment before rolling into a sustained discharge. Brad laughed in amazement as the lightning cut around the material and freed his hand.

 

While Brad was no longer trapped, the sticky residue lingered on his hand. Without hesitation, he pushed his hands together, and used the mysterious lightning once more. With the heat from the flashes, the adhesive substance covering Brad's hand swiftly gummed up and fell to the floor.

 

Unexpectedly, Brad began to hear some sort of chatter. The noise came from between the metal beams in the floor ahead of him. The person speaking was boisterous and seemed giddy. The voice was rather deep but held feminine qualities. As his ears increasingly focused on the gossip, he inched forward cautiously. He crouched down and peered downwards through the crevice.

 

Brad gasped in terror. The world through the metal folds was an enormous room. A colossal, purple alien creature was sitting below him. As she loudly yapped into her cellphone, she swirled frosting onto a freshly baked cake.

 

Suddenly, the corridor around Brad shook violently, and a huge gust of cold air sent Brad flying downwards into the gap.