- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

In this chapter, Leo, having given it his all to aid his new acquaitence as best as he could, tries to learn more about them until they can figure out what to do. 

A character development chapter. 

Chapter Six: Better Know Your Beast

 

 

 

“Hey, little man, wake up.” Leo felt something heavy pressing down on his chest a few times. He opened his eyes to see that the woman whose leg he had attempted to mend was tapping on him with her left foot. He grunted under the slightly rough treatment and waved her dirty foot away with his arms.

 

“I’m awake. Take it easy with that thing,” he said with a little disgruntlement. Her giant foot retreated back under her blanket and she winced from embarrassment.

 

“Sorry. You just weren’t waking up... so I... well. Sorry.” She looked away and down at the ground. Leo let out a big sigh. He sat up and faced the woman. She was in a seated position now. Her back was pressed against the wall and her injured leg was propped up on her bag. Good, Leo thought. That meant she had been able to move a little at least since he’d been asleep.

 

“It’s okay. No harm done. Man, slept most the day away,” said Leo as he looked outside the den at the sun that now hung low and was beginning to dip into the tree line.

 

“Yeah. You seemed like you needed it,” said the woman. “I woke up a while ago. Couldn’t sleep well, but I wanted to let you get some rest.”

 

“How’s that leg?” She uncovered the leg with the dagger wound.

 

“Better than when you found me, but still in there.” Leo chuckled.

 

“I didn’t find you,” he said in humorous retort. She bit her lip in mild embarrassment.

 

“Okay, maybe you should tell me what happened.” Leo thought back. It had been a wild morning.

 

“Sure. That’s probably best. First off, I’m Leo.”

 

“Oh, sorry. Jacqueline. Jacqueline Kennedy,” she offered. “Friends call me Jackie. Or... they used to.” Her gaze fell back to the floor.

 

“Charmed.” Leo said. “Jackie it is then.” Her eyes lifted a little. Leo wanted her to feel at ease. “Okay, Jackie. This morning I was hiding underground with my...” he hesitated a moment. Could he call Vela his lover now? His partner? “... with my girlfriend, and you began to try digging us up. I don’t know what lead you to us or what you were after, but I crawled out of the hole to fight off what I thought was some kind of beast, but it just turned out to be you, a werewolf.”

 

“Just me, the werewolf,” Jackie said flatly.

 

“Yes. You gave me quite the fright, but I have to say that I was quite relieved.” Jackie raised an eyebrow.

 

“You were relieved? To see a werewolf?”

 

“Well sure! I thought I was going to die at the hands of some monster, but you just turned out to be a nice werewolf. I’d say that’s quite a relief.” Jackie just stared at him in disbelief.

 

“Wait, so, what happened? I didn’t attack you?”

 

“Heavens no!” Leo said. She looked visibly relieved.

 

“Oh, thank goodness. That’s a weight off my chest.” Leo laughed.

 

“Don’t you think I’d be a goner if you had? Honestly, Jackie.” She smiled meekly.

 

“You are pretty small. You’re a borrower, aren’t you?”

 

“I am! You’ve heard of us?”

 

“I knew a family of you when I was little. My parents weren’t too fond. Called them ‘freeloaders.’ But I’d sneak them food and some trinkets. I was friends with the girl about my age. We could only play when my parents weren’t around.”

 

“No way! That’s great! I haven’t met many humans who have a soft spot for us these days, or even remember we exist.”

 

“Yeah. Little Monique. She was a good friend. Hope they’re doing okay.”

 

“We tend to endure,” Leo assured her. “We are a hardy folk.”

 

“Well you gotta be, being that small. Scary world.”

 

“I choose not to look at it that way. I’m finding the big world to be full of intrigue.”

 

“Brave little guy. So, what happened? I didn’t hurt you or your girlfriend? Where is she?”

 

“She’s still underground. She’ll be fine. I imagine she’ll catch up with us later,” Leo said, and quickly continued to speak when he thought Jackie looked like she was about to ask the obvious; namely, ‘is she a borrower too?’ So, he pressed on. “And what happened next was rather simple. You sort of... well, abducted me.” Jackie groaned and put her hand on her forehead.

 

“Ugh, dammit. I’m so sorry. How far did I take you?”

 

“Few miles. No big deal.”

 

“Wait, did I pick you up? Or...”

 

“With your mouth, yes.”

 

“Gah! No way! That had to be awful!”

 

“Well you were carrying me with your teeth by my satchel. Bag got a little spit-covered, but no harm done.”

 

“Oh, okay... that’s a lot better than what I thought you meant. Still. I apologize for the rude manners of my other half.”

 

“It’s fine. You needed help. And, for what it’s worth, you’re a good dog,” Leo said with a smile. This got a laugh from Jackie. He was glad she was able to lighten up a little.

 

“That’s a very strange compliment, but good to hear, all the same. I know we don’t attack all other species, but I didn’t know that borrowers were safe too. It’s a relief.”

 

“Like I said, I was glad you just turned out to be a werewolf. Even if you did...” Leo caught himself. He didn’t want to further her embarrassment.

 

“Did what? Out with it, Leo.”

 

“Okay. Even if you licked me once. That took me off guard.” Jackie sighed. She shrugged her shoulders.

 

“What are you gonna do? I’m an animal.”

 

“You’re a human,” Leo insisted. He decided to change the subject.

 

“Did you try, um... pulling it out?”

 

“What? Oh, the dagger. I can’t touch it. Burns my hands,” she said, showing Leo her right palm. There was a bright red outline of the dagger handle seared into her skin. Leo winced.

 

“Oh-h-h, that looks painful. Wow, is it burning in your leg, too?”

 

“I... can’t feel my leg. So, no.” Leo frowned.

 

“When my girlfriend gets here, I’m sure she’ll be able to help.” Jackie looked perplexed.

 

“What’re two borrowers gonna do? It’s in the bone.” Leo sighed. He’d have to tell her.

 

“She’s not a borrower.”

 

“Oh, you’re dating a human? That’s... interesting.” She looked to the side, seemingly considering that. Then, her head snapped back to look at Leo. “Wait. I thought you said I didn’t attack you two. If there was a human with you, there’s no way you could have stopped me. And what were you and a human doing underground?” Leo sighed in defeat.

 

“Because she’s not human. Just... trust me when I say that she’s no threat to you.”

 

“Okay, then what is she? We’re pretty far from the wildernest. She’s not a naga, is she? Those things give me the creeps.”

 

“A what?”

 

“You know. Snake-people? Huge? Got scales from the waist down?” Leo laughed.

 

“No. She’s not a snake-person.” Jackie appeared relieved. “She’s... a vampire.” Jackie’s eyes grew wide.

 

“Wow. A borrower and a vampire. That’s really something. Good for you guys, I guess. But don’t vampires, like... ya know. Is she gonna try to drink my blood or something?” Leo shook his head.

 

“She’s good on blood for a while. And she doesn’t kill people when she drinks. Tries to keep it civil,” Leo said, thinking about how rough she had been with the man named Green.

 

“Okay. I’ll just have to trust you. Not like I can go anywhere like this,” she said, gesturing to her lame leg. “Still though. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous. How’s she gonna feel towards the werewolf who stole her little boyfriend?” Leo considered this already.

 

“I’m sure she’ll understand. You weren’t yourself. And no harm was done. She was the one who explained to me that werewolves weren’t a threat to my kind. She seems quite knowledgeable of your condition.” Jackie’s shoulders slumped.

 

“Alright. I hope you’re right. If she can get this thing out of me...”

 

“How’d you end up with a silver dagger in your leg?” Leo asked. He didn’t know why the question hadn’t occurred to him sooner. “Are you in danger right now?” Jackie looked contemplative for a moment.

 

“No... no, I don’t think so. These guys are pretty serious business, but they’ve never come after me during the day. They wait for me to change.”

 

“Aren’t you way more dangerous to them that way? Why wouldn’t they try to get you now? You’re not only very distinct looking, but you’re wounded, and carrying one of their own daggers around in your leg.”

 

“You’d think so, right? But no. They track me when I’m human and wait till I change to make their move. It’s complicated. But when I’m a wolf, they don’t have to hunt me. I always go right to them, and they know it. So, they just make themselves loud and conspicuous, set a trap, and wait for the easy kill.”

 

But if they’re able to track you when you’re human— “Leo began, but she cut him off.

 

“They have to get me while I’m changed. It’s legal to kill an attacking werewolf. If they do, my corpse would prove it, because I wouldn’t change back. They’re not allowed to kill me when I’m human.”

 

“Allowed? They’re murderers either way!” Leo shouted indignantly. “What do they care about law when they’re willing to hunt down and slaughter a poor girl!” He caught himself and tried to suppress his rage. He was surprised at himself for shouting like that. Jackie looked surprised too. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Th-thanks, Leo. I... no one’s really shown me that kind of humanity since I got this way.”

 

“No one?”

 

“No. I’ve been hunted and feared since day one. It’s... been a helluva year. I came to these mountains because I didn’t want to hurt anyone, but I was spotted and marked as a werewolf in a town at the foothills, and they’ve been on my tail ever since.”

 

“Well I promise that I’ll do anything I can to help you,” Leo said. “I’ll get those hunters myself if I have to.” Jackie laughed.

 

“You and what army?”

 

“I have Vela.” Jackie smiled disbelievingly.

 

“‘Vela,’ huh? A borrower and a vampire.” Leo raised his upturned palms.

 

“What can I say? Love is blind.” Jackie laughed.

 

“She’s lucky to have you. I think you saved my life. I don’t know if I’d have made it this long bleeding like that.”

 

“She really is. Had to save her from you first, you know. You almost dug her up in broad daylight.” Jackie gasped.

 

“Oh, my gods! No wonder you risked your life to... I can’t apologize enough.”

 

“None are necessary. No harm came of it, and I got to help you. Now, let me see if we can’t help you more.” Jackie’s face turned red.

 

“Thank you, Leo. You’re a good person.” Leo walked over to the wall and sat against it beside her. He put his little hand on her own.

 

“Takes one time recognize one.” She smiled. She looked outside. It was getting dark. She stared at the dimming light for a while silently. Then, after a bit, she turned to Leo and asked:

 

“So, what’s it like?”

 

“What?”

 

“Dating a vampire? Especially at your size. That’s gotta be a little... different. Pick a reason.” Leo blushed at the question. He scratched the back of his head. He thought for a bit and answered.

 

“Well, different is a word for it. We haven’t actually known each other long, but she’s already completely changed my life. I don’t know where I’d be without her. And she seems to be depending on me too. Just take this morning, for example.” He laughed. “My life will never be the same with her in it, that’s a certainty. And I love that. I love her. She’s... become the biggest thing in my world.” He finished the ode to his Vela and blushed more deeply. “Sorry, that was sappy.”

 

“No! It was sweet! I’m touched. It sounds like you two have something really special. It’s just unusual. I’ve never heard of such a match.”

 

“You don’t have to approve. I don’t mind being judged.”

 

“Leo, I turn into a monster and rampage at the mere scent of another human two or three days a month. I’m not one to judge love. Anyway, she doesn’t sound all that bad. Not a killer, anyway. Better than any of the humans I’ve met lately. And I can tell what she sees in you. Your heart is bigger than most men’s I’ve met. And your spirit is indomitable. You’re worth five humans. And you’re pretty handsome, too.” Leo laughed.

 

“Okay, okay. No need to butter me up. I appreciate it.”

 

“Seriously. Now that I’m aware that I’m not a threat to borrowers, I’m thinking I should date one. Got any friends?” They both laughed. Leo shook his head. “I’m only half joking,” she said. Leo finished his laughter and sighed.

 

“Actually, I don’t know where any other borrowers are at the moment. I’m on my own with Vela. But I’d be sure to put in a good word for you if we meet any. I don’t think you’d be a hard sell.”

 

“You promise? I’ll take it.” Jackie was mostly joking, but she gave it a moment’s honest thought. She remembered her childhood best friend, Monique. She used to think a lot about Monique. She realized that those thoughts had occasionally strayed into strange places that weren’t always entirely innocent. Maybe she would enjoy dating a borrower— if one would have her. She looked at Leo. He was a ruggedly handsome little fellow. She envied this ‘Vela’ of her catch. She had a fleeting impulse to ask him more ‘personal’ questions about the logistical issues involved between lovers of such mismatched sizes but decided that wouldn’t be wise with a new acquaintance. Rude even. She’d just have to use her imagination. Maybe she would find out on her own one day.

 

“So, how did you get in such good shape? Your biceps are enormous.” She chuckled.

 

“Running on your arms all night is a great fitness program. They beefed up pretty shortly after I was bitten. One more reason it’s hard for me to hide.”

 

“You mean in addition to your eyes and hair?”

 

“Correct. And all of these nasty, ugly scars. I’m... sure you got a good look at them earlier.” Leo had.

 

“Hey, scars are cool. I’m told chicks dig them,” he joked.

 

“Eh. Not when they’re hers. But I’ll take what I can get,” she laughed.

 

“Seriously, though. They’re not ugly. They’re striking. You’re very distinctively lovely. Don’t doubt yourself.” Jackie smiled.

 

“You’re going to make me cry, Leo. Humans can’t look at my features now without thinking of what they mean; ‘werewolf.’ And then, the jury is in. I’m a beast. Personally, I’m a big fan of my new eyes. But I preferred my old hair.

 

“What color was it?”

 

“Red. It was beautiful. Now I look like an old woman from behind. It’s been hard to get used to.”

 

“I think you cut a beautiful figure,” said a woman’s voice from the entrance of the den. Leo and Jackie both turned to look at the source of the unexpected voice and saw that Vela was leaning against the wall casually. Jackie shrieked and threw both hands up to cover her mouth. Leo merely hopped up to his feet and spread his arms out welcomingly.”

 

“Vela! I knew you’d find us, my darling!” Leo shouted joyfully.

 

“And I knew you weren’t the type to slip out in the morning,” Vela said with an air of humor. “Not without good reason.” She turned her head to look at Jackie. “I don’t believe we’ve had the pleasure. I’m Vela.” She placed her left hand behind her back and extended her right to shake. Jackie uncovered her mouth and slowly extended her trembling right hand to accept the gesture.

 

“I’m... J-Jacqueline.” Vela bent forward and grasped the frightened girl’s hand.

 

“A pleasure to meet you, Jacqueline. And thank you for looking after my loving companion.”

 

“N-no trouble at all. He’s... actually been looking after me,” Jackie said, her voice cracking with fear.

 

“You don’t have to be afraid, Jackie,” Leo insisted. “She’s not going to bite you.” Vela smiled and sized the woman up.

 

“No, I shan’t bite. Though you do look very inviting,” Vela teased. She released Jackie’s hand, and Jackie retreated back under her blanket.

 

“Sorry I screamed. You just startled me. You’re so quiet.”

 

“I didn’t want to interrupt. It’s nice to be spoken of in such a lovely way,” she said, nodding to Leo. He realized she must have been standing there a while. He laughed.

 

“Your ears must’ve been burning,” he said.

 

“You always manage to make some part of me do so,” Vela cooed. “But enough pleasantries. I believe I’m owed some explanation as to why I awoke to a hide half dug up and very much absent little lover?” Jackie turned almost as pale as Vela.

 

“My fault.” She said.

 

“Mhmm,” Vela replied.

 

“Maybe it would be best if I tell it, though,” Leo said. He spent the next few minutes giving the cliff notes version of the events of that morning. Vela watched him with keen interest the entire time, only breaking her gaze to glance at Jackie’s leg when he mentioned the dagger. When he finished, Vela knelt down by the shaken girl.

 

“I thought as much. You left a trail of blood for me to follow,” Vela said. “Well, let’s have a look at this wound and I’ll see what I can do.” Still trembling, Jackie pulled back the blanket, revealing her injury. Vela’s face betrayed no emotions at the sight of the wound. “It’s been in there nearly twelve hours.”

 

“How do you know?” Leo asked.

 

“Yeah, I don’t even remember how it happened,” Jackie added.

 

“I heard you being attacked in the distance last night. It was... chilling. I didn’t think you’d make it judging by the sound of things. But you’re lucky. It missed the femoral artery by inches, and it was below your heart. But it must come out or you won’t be able to heal.” Jackie nodded. Her face grew determined, though clearly, she was afraid of the pain.

 

“I’m going to remove it quickly. Once done, I’ll do something about the pain. But I doubt you’ll even notice,” Vela explained. Leo thought he knew what Vela was intending and wondered if she should tell Jackie more before doing so, but figured she had her reasons for being vague. “I’ll need you to remove the blanket and allow me to restrain you while I do this. If you struggle, you’ll risk more damage as the blade leaves your leg.” Jackie gulped.

 

“O-okay... just... promise to warn me before you yank it out. Oh, this is gonna suck,” she said almost in tears. She unwrapped herself from the blanket, and Leo saw that she was still naked. He turned away, embarrassed.

 

“It’s okay, Leo. I’m not ashamed,” Jackie said. “It’s just skin.” Leo looked at Vela. She nodded. Evidently, she wasn’t feeling particularly jealous about this situation. He nodded, too, and tried to look only at her leg where the dagger handle protruded. Vela placed her feet on top of Jackie’s and asked her for her hands. Jackie assented, holding them out. Vela pinned both her hands behind her head against the wall at the wrists with only her right hand. With her left she hovered right above the handle. Jackie was thoroughly pinned.

 

“Gods, you’re strong,” Jackie said. “Your grip is like a vice.”

 

“That’s high praise coming from you,” Vela joked. “Okay. I’m going to remove the blade. Steel yourself.” Jackie shook her head up and down, tears spilling from her eyes. Leo was afraid to watch, but he couldn’t look away.

 

“I’m ready,” Jackie said. In a flash, Vela grabbed and removed the blade. Jackie let out a howl of pain that reminded Leo of her ‘other self.’ The second the blade was removed, Vela released her wrists and moved down to address the wound in her own way. She placed her mouth directly over it, bared her fangs, and carefully sunk her teeth into Jackie’s thigh.

 

“Ga-a-a-a, shit! Gods, it burns!” Jackie shouted.” She grabbed Vela by the head and desperately tried to pull her off to no avail. She began punching the sides of Vela’s head, her fists bouncing off uselessly. “No! Stop! Don’t... don’t drink my blood! No! Leo!” She looked at Leo desperately. “Stop her! Help me!”

 

“She’s not!” He shouted. “She’s numbing you!” He could tell that it was already working, however, as Jackie’s face quickly transformed from one of terror into that of realization and calm. Jackie released Vela’s head from her hands. She pulled her hands away, shaking, and laced her fingers into her own hair.

 

“Oh, my gods. Damn... okay... okay, that’s better. Dammit, that thing hurt coming out. I thought I was gonna die.” Vela finished her work and pulled up from Jackie’s thigh. A small amount of blood dribbled from her lips which she licked clean.

 

“I didn’t drink much. I didn’t want to drink any, but I tasted silver. I thought I could suck some of it out. I’m sorry for not warning you. But I didn’t think you’d like the idea.”

 

“Of you biting me and tonguing out my dagger wound with that long-ass vampire tongue? What’s not to love? Sign me up for another,” Jackie said in near hysterics. “Damn. A little warning might’ve been nice. But you’re right. And it feels a lot better. I’m... sorry I hit you.”

 

“Didn’t feel a thing,” Vela said with a laugh. “I gave you a small dose of anesthetic venom. It’s harmless. You’re tough, so I held back. Just wanted to take the edge off it. I didn’t want to immobilize you. Not that I think any amount of my venom would keep you still once the full moon rises.”

 

“Well that stuff is magical. You should put that in a bottle and sell it.” Jackie was massaging the bite mark thoughtfully as she spoke. “I’m so glad to be rid of that thing. It was killing me. Screw hunters.”

 

“About that,” Leo said. “Vela. They’ll be on her again tonight as soon as she turns. They’re going to murder her.”

 

“You propose I murder them instead?” Vela said in a cold tone. Leo hadn’t thought it through. What did he intend to do?

 

“No, just. We can’t let her get killed!”

 

“Leo, I can’t restrain or contain Jacqueline all night. I believe her strength as a fully transformed lycanthrope will be too great for me. She’ll go after them when they lure her, and when the meeting occurs, someone is going to die. Nothing in the world can stop her, and I can’t change the minds of men.”

 

“But we have to do something! Vela! She’s just a girl! Are you going to sit back and let them murder a human girl? You and I have depended on humans for everything our entire lives. You can’t live without them! She can’t live without you!” Vela frowned. Leo was incredibly forceful. His will was taking its toll on Vela’s resolve. She didn’t want to get involved. She just wanted to remove the dagger and be on their way. She wanted to reclaim her lost lover and be off into the night, away from this unfortunate human and her problems. But she understood something about Leo. He’d never tolerate it. He was too passionately righteous for his own good.

 

“Do I get a say in this?” Jackie asked. Leo and Vela stopped talking and turned to look at her. Jackie didn’t like being talked about like she wasn’t there, and she really didn’t like feeling like she was driving a wedge between the couple. Once she was sure she had their attention, she spoke.

 

“Okay. Leo, thank you so much for cleaning my wound and staying by my side while I was disabled. You’ve shown me more kindness and humanity than I’ve received in a long time. Vela, thank you for your medical attention, and for the bite. And for your understanding for kidnapping your boyfriend. You’re lucky to have him.” She took a deep breath, and continued, “But if you both want my opinion... I say let them have me.” Leo and Vela both looked shocked.

 

“What?!” Leo shouted indignantly. “Let them have you? Are you serious? Then what was the point of any of this? You expect us to spend the whole day and half the night nursing you back to health just so you can sprint right into the jaws of death? For what reason? Where’s the good in that, huh?” Jackie’s jaw dropped at the reprimand.

 

“I just... I’m nothing but trouble.” Vela eyed Leo in a mixture of appreciation and apprehension. He was right. The girl couldn’t be allowed to consign herself to a miserable death. She needed their help. She didn’t deserve this. She didn’t ask to be a lycanthrope. They couldn’t abandon her. This was a new chapter in Vela’s long life. No more fear of connections. No more abandonment.

 

“Oh, this won’t do,” Vela said.

 

“What do you mean?” Leo asked. Vela turned to address Jackie.

 

“This is all wrong. We can’t let you die, you silly girl. Your life belongs to us tonight. Now be quiet with those idiotic delusions and let the grownups come up with a plan?”

 

“Excuse me? This is none of your business! And I’m a grown woman, I can— “

 

“Take care of yourself?” Vela interrupted. Jackie just stared at her. “Thought as much. Wonderful job you’re doing of that. No. Tonight we’ll take care of you. And until such time as we determine you’re fit to live on your own, at which point, you’ll be released,” Vela’s tone was that of a condescending parental figure. Leo wasn’t sure what to make of it all. Did she mean they’d be traveling together? He wasn’t sure. He didn’t want to ask. One thing at a time. If they could make it through the night with all three of them alive, they could talk short-term plans.

 

“Fine,” Jackie said, bowing her head in defeat. “I’m sorry. You’re right. I just didn’t think you really wanted to help.” Vela scoffed.

 

“Leo is right. I need humans to survive. It’s time I repay some of that life. What’s more, I can’t do wrong by him. He’s made up his mind. So, you’re getting our help.” Vela looked to Leo and smiled lovingly.

 

“Thank you, Vela. I knew you would see.”

 

“I just hope you know what you’re doing, Leo,” she said.

 

“Yeah, so what is the plan?” Jackie asked. “I’ll be a wolf soon and I don’t think I’m going to be of much strategic use.”

 

Leo considered this. The men hunted by making themself conspicuous and deliberately getting caught by a werewolf. Then, they’d kill her with silver blades and projectiles when she inevitably attacked. He didn’t want to kill them. He didn’t much care for them, but he wasn’t a murderer. So, all he could do was somehow interrupt their plan. Which point of the plot was most easy to foil? He thought back to the cottage.

 

“I’ve got it,” Leo said, snapping his fingers. Vela looked at him with interest.

 

“Oh, my Leo has a master plan?”

 

“Not very masterful, but it’s something. Actually, Jackie gave me the idea.”

 

“I did? Well what is it?”

 

“We put Vela’s venom in a bottle, but we aren’t selling it, we’re weaponizing it.”

 

“How does this keep me from killing them?”

 

“They can only get you if they attract your attention by being loud and conspicuous. We beat you to them, knock them out till morning, and they’re completely inconspicuous. Then, we get a hold of something with their scent and lead you away somewhere totally safe.”

 

“And what will be our delivery method. You mentioned a bottle. So, you don’t expect me to just somehow bite them all then?” Leo shook his head. That would end up being far too conspicuous. The fight would attract Jackie for sure. That, and he didn’t want these guys getting it in their head to become wannabe vampire hunters too.

 

“I’ll be the delivery method! I’m the least conspicuous thing of all!”

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks so much for all of you still sticking with me! This and the previous chapter were really just designed to get another charaacter into the rotation. I'll post the next one (or two) up soon! They promise to be action-packed! 

Please feel free to let me know what you think of this story in a review! It's currency for the soul! 

Vela and Leo will continue their adventure in the next chapter! -->