- Text Size +

Meredith shifted her floral print bookbag to the crook of her arm and gave the door three sharp knocks. She waited silently for a response, tucking an errant strand of blonde hair behind her ear. Nothing. She furrowed her brow, momentarily confused, then realized the problem. Of course he wasn’t going to come to the door. She smirked and shook her head. I’m such a klutz sometimes. She turned the handle and gently pushed the door open a smidge.

“David?”

No answer. She stuck her head around the doorframe and scanned the room. It looked empty. He said he would be here at noon.

“Hello? I’m coming in, okay?”

Meredith carefully opened the door the rest of the way and stepped inside. She flicked on the lights, illuminating the dull, dusty dorm room. It looked like it had been abandoned for months. Meredith supposed it had been, in a way. An empty bag of cheetos lay on the floor next to her sneakers. She was about to kick it to the side, then thought better of it. He could be anywhere. Crushing her extra credit project underfoot would be a real bummer.

“David? Are you in here?”

A flicker of movement on the sofa caught her eye. There was a dark speck crawling across the cushions towards her. She was too far away to make out any details, but its movements looked too slow to be a bug. Meredith dumped her bookbag on the coffee table and crouched down to get a closer look. The speck stopped in its tracks as she approached. She lowered her head till it was level with the edge of the sofa, moving slowly and holding her breath like she had been taught to in class. Every action for us is magnified a thousand times for them.

Sure enough, the speck resolved into the figure of a miniscule man. He was waving up at her with both arms, like a traffic conductor flagging a plane. Meredith grinned. Seeing shrinkers always brought a smile to her face. They were so tiny and cute. It was like looking at a toy soldier brought to life. On second thought, toy soldier was too generous a comparison. The plastic figurines would stand tall as green giants to him.

“Hey,” Meredith said softly, “how’s it going little guy?”

She heard him squeak out a reply, but his voice was too faint to understand. She turned her head and tilted her ear towards him.

“What was that? Speak up, I can barely hear you.”

“Meredith! It’s me!”

This time she heard him, though barely. The individual words were difficult to make out. His voice was tinny and high pitched, more of a squeak than anything. It reminded her of a cartoon mouse.

“I’m gonna pick you up alright? It’ll be easier to talk.”

She heard another squeak and decided to take it as an affirmative. Meredith reached down and gently placed her index finger and thumb around David’s tiny body. He backpedaled as her hand descended towards him, sticking his arms out as if preparing to push her fingers. She smirked. It was probably just an instinctual response, but the idea of him trying to bat her fingers away was adorable. She had handled shrinkers before during sensitivity exercises in class. Touching their naked bodies had grossed her out at first - it was reminiscent of catching frogs at summer camp and feeling their squishy skin against her palms - but repeated practice had made her comfortable holding her tiny classmates. With the utmost care she lifted David into the air, keeping her movements slow and smooth, and brought him up towards her face.

“Testing, testing, one two three!” she giggled. “Say something!”

“Yeah, hi Meredith - can you put me down please,” David gasped. His arms were pinned to his sides, and it sounded like he was having trouble catching his breath. Whoops. Meredith loosened her grip.

She had forgotten how easy it was to overwhelm the little guys. Even the gentlest touch constituted a formidable force at their scale. He was so small. So feeble. She was holding him as carefully as she would hold an antique china figurine, but the strength of her grip still overwhelmed him.

For a moment she imagined what would happen if she refused his request. After all, there was nothing he could do. He was helpless. Were he to muster every ounce of strength in his puny body and lash out, the resulting blow would glance harmlessly off her like a falling leaf. Meredith bit her lip and banished the thought. She could almost hear her professor's stern voice in her head: shrinkers deserve the same dignity and respect you would afford to anyone else.

“Okay, here - I brought something that I think will make this easier.”

Meredith plopped down onto the couch and retrieved a rectangular piece of cardboard from her bookbag with her free hand. She swung both legs up on the couch, and balanced the cardboard atop her thighs. Then, very carefully, she lowered David down and placed him on the makeshift platform. The cardboard was about three handspans wide - she had torn it off an Amazon box that morning - but it was plenty big for a shrinker.

“I thought we could do the interview like this,” Meredith explained. “You read the email I sent you right? It’s just a couple questions and exercises I have to fill out for my shrinker sensitivity class. I promise it won’t take too long.”

David’s pin sized head bobbed up and down in agreement. She gave him a smile, and pulled a notebook out of her bookbag. Looking over the list she had brainstormed the night before, she decided it would be best to start with the physical activity portion of the interview.

“Alright, the first thing is a bit of a test…”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David surveyed the stage he had been set upon. It was almost as wide as a football field, with an enormous black shape running down the middle. It took him a moment to recognize the splotch as the Amazon shipping logo. The cardboard felt coarse beneath his bare feet. He could feel Meredith’s body heat radiating through the platform. Behind him her mammoth bare legs stretched out into the distance like railroad tracks, capped off by a pair of sensible white sneakers. His immediate field of vision was dominated by her torso, a vertical wall of pink fabric interrupted only by the twin swells of her enormous breasts.

He caught a glimpse of her face peeking out from above her bosom. She was smiling down at him, her calm expression in sharp contrast with the uneasy pressure crowding the pit of his stomach. Being handled made him nervous.

David watched as Meredith’s massive arm swung over to her bookbag and dug around inside. A moment later it reemerged, her clenched fingers hiding their cargo from view. The situation reminded him of the final level of some videogame, the hero standing alone on the battleground facing down a gigantic monster. He wondered what challenges she had in store for him. Maybe agreeing to this was a mistake.

“So I’ve got a few things here that I want you to try and pick up. This is supposed to, like, show how hard certain things are for a shrinker to do compared to a normal person - I mean a full-sized person.”


Her fist opened and an assortment of small objects tumbled down around him. A thumbtack, an eraser, a silver earring, and what looked like the cap from a water canteen. Her huge hand landed nearby and she extended a finger to shuffle the knick knacks into a row according to size. David caught a whiff of perfume as the hand retreated back into the sky, churning up a draft of air in its wake.

“It’s no problem if you can’t lift them all, the point is to illustrate your new limits. You don’t have to try and show off for me,” she giggled.

David bit his lip. The earring was only about the size of a basketball, but solid metal. It would be so embarrassing to fail at the very first task. He bent at the waist, clasped his hands under the ornament, and hoisted. It was heavy, but not too much to deal with. He held it for a few seconds then let it fall back to the ground, careful to avoid his feet.

“Yay, nice. Okay, keep going!”

Emboldened, he moved on to the thumbtack, and was pleased to find it was even easier to lift than the earring. He grasped it by the tip (the plastic end was much too thick for his hands) and waved it about in the air a few times. He realized that for Meredith the difference in heaviness between the objects was so negligible that she was unable to sort them accurately. Their weight was trivial to the point of being outside her range of tactile sensitivity. It was a sobering thought.

“This is so cute. I need to get a video of this.”

David watched apprehensively as she dug out her phone and pointed the lens down at him. It felt like a violation of privacy, but he didn’t have the courage to speak up. He had agreed to help her with a school project - not be the unfortunate subject of a recording session. David’s palms began to sweat. He hoped the camera was too far away to pick up on his crotch.

The eraser was about as long and wide as his entire body. The pink rubber had a distinctive smell, reminding him of art class in grade school. How could never have dreamed that one day this familiar writing utensil would be the size of a mattress to him. David worked his finger under the edge of the eraser and tried to pry it up off the ground. If I can get enough leverage then maybe I’ll be able to lift it onto my back. No such luck. The rubber was dense and heavy as hell. He scooched over to the side and tried lifting from there, but it was quickly becoming clear that there was no way he would be able to lift it convincingly. He had reached his limit.

“This is adorable,” Meredith cooed above him, “you look so funny trying to pick that up. It’s too heavy right? Should we move on to the next thing?”

David felt his cheeks get hot. He refused to give up now. Teeth clenched, he redoubled his efforts, and to his surprise managed to raise the eraser off the ground a couple feet. David shoved his shoulder underneath its edge and pushed with all his might. The eraser balanced on its side for a moment, but he didn’t manage to stop pushing in time and it tumbled the rest of the way down. David faceplanted on top of the eraser, scuffing his chin against the tacky rubber.

Meredith burst out laughing. “Oh my god, are you okay? I can’t believe I got that on video - I have to post this!”

He watched, mortified, as her fingers danced across the touchscreen. She was giggling to herself. David felt anger rising in his chest, but it was quickly replaced by overwhelming shame. She was right. It was funny. He was so feeble now, so weak. The task had utterly defeated him, and now all of her friends were going to watch the video of his pathetic endeavor and laugh at his impotence. What stung the most was the realization that even if he had been able to lift all four objects, the feat would not have restored his dignity. His miniscule size sealed his fate as a perpetual object of amusement, a sad cripple to be laughed at and pitied, always the butt of the joke.

Meredith set her phone aside, still smiling. “Alright, enough of that.” As if to add insult to injury, her hand descended once more and swept all four objects away without the slightest effort. “The next part should be easier, I’m supposed to ask you about your experiences after shrinking, okay?”

David nodded glumly. Not like I have any choice in the matter.

She flipped through her notes. “Alright, first question: how has your relationship with your peers changed as a result of the shrinking? I guess that includes friends and stuff, not just class.” She readied her pencil and raised an eyebrow. “Ha - I feel like a news anchor! You don’t have to give me a complicated answer or anything, I just need a few sentences.”

David grimaced. How could he articulate what it felt like to be summarily removed from regular life overnight? The humiliation he felt when every interaction with an ordinary human being came with a hundred reminders of his new position on the lowest rung of the social hierarchy? There were no words.

“Uhh, I guess I don’t see friends as much anymore?”

Her booming voice interrupted him mid-thought. “Honey, you’re gonna have to talk louder than that, my hearing is already bad and your voice is super quiet.”

“I don’t see friends much anymore!”

“Aw, that’s a bummer,” she frowned and jotted a few lines in her notebook, “what about like, being around normal people? How does it feel to be so small?”

She forgot to stick with the politically correct phrasing this time. He didn’t blame her - she was right. She was normal, he was not. He had become a shade of his former self, something wretched and less than human. A pathetic little bug man.

“It can be kind of nerve wracking, being around bigger people,” David stuttered. He felt foolish. None of this was coming out right.

His mind wandered to the first time he had attended class after the shrinking. The Reduced Transit System had just been built, and he had been ferried across campus in a plastic train car packed with a dozen other shrinkers. The trip was routine now, but it had not felt that way then. He remembered the feeling of dread as he watched the gargantuan scenery flash by his window. Landmarks which were once a mundane part of his morning walk were now antediluvian monuments forming an otherworldly, frightening landscape straight out of Alice in Wonderland. He remembered passing beneath the doorway to enter the classroom, as sneakers the size of commercial airliners thundered around him. Neon tape had been placed on the floor for the shrinkers to walk on (and more importantly, for normal sized people to avoid), but nevertheless there were several terrifying moments when an unwary student stepped too close for comfort. The terror continued even after he found his seat: a careless classmate had almost crushed him beneath her vast rear end, halting the unstoppable descent of her caboose mere moments before impact. If the nametag on the desk hadn’t caught her eye at the last second he would have undoubtedly been steamrolled beneath countless tons of asscheek. David shuddered, recalling the fear he had felt watching the girl’s unfathomably large ass hurtle towards him like an incoming asteroid, casting him in shadow. It was a miracle he had survived that first day.

“It’s easy for people not to notice you.”

“Hm, yeah, I can see that,” her pencil wiggled across the page. Suddenly the ground beneath his feet shifted and he found himself pinwheeling his arms for balance. He looked up at Meredith’s face for an explanation, but she was engrossed in her notetaking. Then it hit him. She’s just getting comfortable. The tectonic perturbation was the result of the giant girl slightly shifting her thighs under his cardboard stage, a thoughtless adjustment she probably made a hundred times a day as she sat in class. To her it meant less than nothing, to him it was a world-shaking seismic event that almost brought him to his knees.

“Oh whoops! I forgot,” Meredith leaned over - triggering another volley of tremors for David - and pulled a ruler out of her bookbag. “I was supposed to measure how tall you are.”

David flushed. This day really couldn’t get any worse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meredith gently positioned the ruler near David. She was careful not to perturb his little cardboard square too much. “I’ll hold it still and you walk up to it, okay?”

She watched his tiny brown figure approach the ruler. He seemed to be moving slowly, but she couldn’t tell if it was on purpose or just his natural walking speed. Crawling like a bug. Towering over him like a wooden skyscraper, the foot long ruler really put into perspective just how small David really was. No way was he going to clear an inch. Not even close.

“Ummm,” Meredith squinted at the black hash marks. The smallest ones were so close together that they were hard to make out. “Looks like just about a quarter of an inch.”

Meredith did her best to keep the astonishment out of her voice. A quarter of an inch was nothing. Ant-size. She jotted down the measurement in her notebook. He’s shorter than the space between the lines on the paper.

She tossed the ruler back in her bag. Putting a number to his height made her feel icky somehow. During their conversation it was easy to forget who she was talking to; her mind subconsciously filled in the gaps, kind of like a phone call. It felt normal. But quantifying his height brought it back to the center attention. A quarter of an inch. She did some quick math in her head. If I’m 70 inches tall, and he’s a quarter of an inch that makes me - like 280 times bigger than him. The comparison was shocking. She was taller compared to him than the Statue of Liberty was compared to her!

Meredith looked down at David, lost in thought. He was sitting cross-legged in the center of the platform. The seated posture made him look even smaller than before. He was just a speck now, a brown speck in a field of brown cardboard. If she hadn’t known he was there she probably wouldn’t even have noticed him. The edges of her thighs bulged out on either side of the stage, each one as wide as a twelve lane highway to him. Her body was a landscape. It would probably take him several minutes to traverse its length from head to foot. Meredith imagined David scaling her body like a mini mountain climber, skirting around her cavernous belly button, clambering on all fours over the mountainous swell of her breasts, getting lost in the thick jungle of her long blonde hair. She bit her lip. It was exciting, arousing even, to imagine how powerless he was to her.

Meredith cleared her throat. “Um okay, only a few more questions left.” She twirled her pencil absentmindedly. “What’s been the hardest adjustment for you?”

David was silent for a long while. The silence dragged on for so long that she started to wonder if he was actually just speaking too softly to hear, but then his reedy little voice chirped out: “Probably being naked all the time. That can be tough.”

His response surprised her. She had assumed he would say something about the difficulties of navigating the giant world around him, or perhaps how annoying it was to use Reduced services. In truth, she had totally forgotten he was naked. From a distance his body was a featureless brown smudge, lacking any recognizable anatomy. Moreover, his nakedness was so inconsequential that it simply hadn’t crossed her mind. A shrinker’s nudity - trivial, like that of a toy doll - didn’t really feel taboo. Who would expect an insect to wear clothes?

“Wow yeah, I hadn't thought of that. But I guess it doesn’t really matter right? Every building on campus has central heating and stuff.”

“It’s more of a dignity thing,” came the indignant reply.

Meredith scoffed. It was a ridiculous affirmation. “Dignity? What’s the big deal, it’s not like anyone can see your weiner anyway.”

“That’s not the point!”

“Chill! Chill,” Meredith laughed. “I’m not trying to piss you off. Just saying.”

No response. The brown speck had fallen silent once more.

“We’re almost done,” Meredith said, trying to de-escalate. “Alright, do you think other people treat you or think about you differently because of your size?”

His answer was loud enough to hear, but just barely. “I - I feel like I mostly get ignored now. Sometimes people think they can grab me whenever they want, pick me up and stuff. Sometimes I want to tell them to stop but I can’t. I can’t do anything about it, nobody listens. They’re all so ignorant.”

Meredith detected an accusatory edge in David’s voice. Is he talking about me? She furrowed her brow. Certainly he couldn’t think she had been overstepping her bounds in the way she had handled him before? She had been so careful, so gentle. It was his own fault anyway; he didn’t listen, no matter how many times she reminded him to raise his voice. Was he seriously talking back to her right now?

“Nobody thinks about what it’s like to be me right now. They just stumble around, talking over me, giving me orders, laughing at me. It’s fucked up. I don’t know what they’re teaching you guys in that class, but I kind of doubt it’s going to do anything.”

“Hey, come on, that’s not fair, I’ve learned a lot in class -”

He cut her off with a furious high pitched squeak, “Really? It sure doesn’t seem like it, you’re just lording your bigness over me, just like everyone else. I deserve to be treated as an equal!”

The tension following his outburst was palpable. Meredith raised her eyebrows, incredulous.

Equal?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Her monstrous hand was upon him before he could utter a word of protest. Butterflies flooded his stomach as she lifted him into the air, the firm pads of her index finger and thumb engulfing his body and pinning his arms against his sides. The immense pressure purged every ounce of air from his lungs. She was not being gentle this time.

The rapid ascent ceased abruptly. David found himself confronted with one of Meredith’s colossal blue eyes. He had felt small before, but being in such intimate proximity to her face gave him a whole new appreciation of the word. Her brilliant iris was at least fifteen feet in diameter. He watched as it scrutinized him, its azure facade shimmering in the light. He noticed the gold-flecked tissue lying just beneath the surface of her cornea rippled like water as it moved, a curious detail that would have gone unnoticed had she not been two thousand feet tall.

Meredith blinked placidly, and a gentle breeze ruffled his hair. It was a compelling reminder of his insignificance; she was so far beyond him in size that the closing of her eyelids was strong enough to generate a noticeable circulation of air. Then, a peal of thunder rattled his body as she posed a terrifying question:

“Do you really think we are equals?”

David got the feeling this question wasn’t part of the assignment.

Even if he had been able to come up with a response, the strength of her grip rendered speech impossible. Not that there was really anything to say. The circumstances of his current position were answer enough. David felt a familiar stirring in his crotch. He couldn’t help but feel aroused. There she was, a flesh and blood goddess, dangling him thousands of feet above the ground in a casual display of power. She, a vivacious young woman, had overwhelmed him using only her finger and thumb. If Meredith wanted to she could extinguish his life in a moment with only the slightest increase of pressure. She was in total control.

“A quarter of an inch,” she mused, “god, you really are so small.”

Another nauseating flurry of movement, and he found himself tumbling head over heels across Meredith’s open palm. David gasped greedily for air, finally free of her crushing vicegrip. He pushed himself up on all fours, finding purchase against the whorled surface of her skin, and looked up at the intimidating vista of her face, which dominated his field of view with the overwhelming presence of an IMAX screen.

“You think we're equals? Look, even just my hand is a giant to you.”

Meredith’s other hand descended from the sky, index and middle finger outstretched. The sequoia-sized fingers touched down on the edge of her palm. David felt the warm skin beneath his hands shudder as the massive digits made impact. Meredith shuffled the two fingers towards him step by step, pantomiming a pair of legs. She giggled as he scrambled away on all fours to avoid them.

“Where do you think you’re going? You’re literally standing on my palm right now.”

The marching fingers caught up to him in an instant, pinning him against her hand. Her painted fingernail - a dark crimson platter three times his body length - dug painfully into his side, threatening to cleave him in half like a guillotine. He wriggled, desperate to slip out from under her, but she simply upped the pressure, immobilizing him like a trapped beetle.

“Do you realize how much bigger I am? How tiny you are compared to me?”

The fingers slid apart to envelop him and David was hoisted into the air once more. This time he let his body go limp. Struggling would only worsen the discomfort. He had learned his lesson: resistance against her was futile. The sooner I give up, the sooner this will be over.

“When I’m around you, I’m in charge. You have to accept that. It’s for your own good. If I lose track of you, or you disobey me, you might end up squished by accident.”

She was holding him near her mouth. Hot wind buffeted David’s body as she spoke, and the percussive force of each word sent sonic shivers racing down his spine. He was close enough to smell her minty mouthwash and tart cherry lip gloss. Her voluminous red lips, wide as riverbanks, glistened in the light. Every time they parted David was treated to a dizzying view of her cavernous mouth. She could swallow me whole without feeling a thing. Her tongue, a roiling slab of sleek pink muscle, crashed against ivory rows of tombstone-teeth as it nimbly enunciated each deafening syllable, and behind it loomed the yawning black abyss of her esophagus. It was a terrifying vista.

“I didn't even see you when I first walked into the room - do you know what would have happened if I had sat down on the couch without looking?”

The world whooshed past as she lowered him away from her face down to waist-level.

“Remember that time in the library? I almost sat on you then didn’t I?”

She maneuvered him around her midriff to her back. David was confronted by the prodigious swells of her round asscheeks.

“Look how tiny you are compared to my butt. That would have been a disaster. I don’t think I would even have noticed the stain.”

She wiggled her gargantuan behind back and forth menacingly. Meredith had a great ass under any circumstances, but blown up to giant size it acquired the breathtaking grandeur of a natural landmark. Her round cheeks were straining her shorts to their limit, so much so that the woven seams groaned audibly as she rocked their plump burden back and forth. Each colossal buttock extended for acres, an endless field of blue fabric whose mighty curvature formed a twin peaked horizon far below him. If she were to lay down, the steep incline would present a challenging uphill hike. David’s erection intensified as he imagined climbing the mighty hillock of Meredith’s ass, a tiny speck lost in a denim mountain range, surveying the landscape of her body from the lofty summit of a single round cheek.

It was a foolish fantasy. Her ass was more likely to be his grave than a playground. It was a monument to her feminine power, with the potential to end his life in an unwary instant.

“And my tits? They’re like mountains to you. Look.”

David winced as he rocketed upwards. Meredith’s body flashed by in rapid succession, and in a moment he was dangling over the endless canyon of her milky white cleavage. Without warning she dropped him onto the slope of her enormous right boob. He tumbled towards the crevasse, unable to find footing on her smooth skin. Meredith shrugged her shoulders, and the swelling flesh rose to swallow him. David felt himself sinking deeper and deeper into her cleavage. He pumped his arms and legs, trying to dig his way out to the surface, but her vast tits overwhelmed him. Each boob outweighed him by thousands of tons, rendering him helpless against their onslaught. The pressure of her supple skin against his body drove him over the edge and he ejaculated uncontrollably onto her breast, convulsing with pleasure. She didn’t notice. How could she, when the volume of his ejaculate amounted to less than a drop of morning dew.

Meredith held him there for a moment, entombed in warm fragrant skin, then let them drop. David gasped for air as he was released from his flesh prison. Meredith's soft tits wobbled as gravity settled them into place, throwing his body around like a ragdoll. He came to rest on the side of her boob, gripping it with all four limbs. He craned his neck upwards, and saw her grinning face observing him from above.

“See? I can do anything I want to you,” she laughed, “damn, you look so small down there. You can’t even get out by yourself.”

Meredith bounced her tits a few times for emphasis, sending him ricocheting between them like a pachinko ball. Then she plucked him out, using her fingers like chopsticks to retrieve his listless body.

“Do you get it now? Or are you going to keep talking back to me.”

David was silent. He had nothing to say. The anger which originally spurred his furious response had evaporated from his body. Meredith’s demonstration had successfully exorcised his pathetic delusions of grandeur. He hung, limp and exhausted, stripped of his masculinity by the playful teasing of a woman who inhabited a sphere of existence that was simply beyond his reach. David understood now. His was the lowest place. The shrinker’s place.

Meredith set him down on the couch and began gathering her things. The threatening tension which had filled her voice moments before was gone, replaced with her usual good natured tone. What had been a cataclysmic experience for David had obviously not registered as such for her. It was a further illustration of the insurmountable gap between their respective realities. She thanked him for his help. David forced out a few noncommittal pleasantries, but Meredith didn’t seem to hear them. He was tired, too tired to yell anymore, too tired to continue interacting with the woman-mountain towering above him.

“Alright David, thanks again. I’ll see you later okay?” Meredith scooped up her book bag and left the room, her earth shaking footsteps steadily receding into the distance. The door thudded shut behind her.

David lay on the couch, lost in thought. By the time he finally found the energy to stand the sun had already set and his room was cast in darkness.