- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Even I'm not entirely sure what to expect out of this story yet, since I am still in the process of writing it and I'm keeping my mind open. One thing I can tell you, though, is this story is going to be violent and graphic and a bit sexual at times. How much that will be, I can't really say at this point, but it's a safe bet to say if you're under 18 or easily offended by things then you'd best not read this story.

 

"Once you're gone, you can never come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young,  "My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue)"

Part 1

In the not too distant future, an invisible alien spacecraft has descended into the forests near the city of Pine Grove, where our story unfolds. The ship was a one-man science vessel piloted by professor Xeeklon, a renowned scientist among his people. Many years before Xeeklon's birth his species detected the detonation of nuclear weapons on this world and made contact in secret with the greatest powers on the planet. As part of this agreement, Xeeklon and his people are permitted to conduct covert research on the planet. No human outside Earth's upper echelon are aware of the aliens or these experiments...

-----------------

Xeeklon scanned the perimeter around his ship and sighed in relief that there were no intelligent lifeforms within 7 dilziks of his landing. Nevertheless, he kept the cloak activated, as was the required procedure of his species (it would be unfortunate if he had to go through the unpleasantness of wiping a human's memory clean). Confident that the coast was clear, Xeeklon opened the ship's hatch and beheld his surroundings with his own eyes.

The planet's solitary orange star scorched the horizon as it slowly disappeared beneath it's curvature, leaving the forest in an eerie darkness that would bring fear to most humans. But Xeeklon had large dark eyes which allowed him to see almost as well at night, with the aid of the moon and the stars, as a human could during the day. The time of his landing was no coincidence; his species often preferred darkness, as this helped them conduct their research in secrecy.

Even so,  Xeeklon kept his personal security device in his holster at all times. This device was intended as a non-lethal weapon known as a mass converter. With it, Xeeklon could greatly reduce the size of any potential threat, rendering it as harmless as one of Earth's rodents. If Xeeklon were discovered by an Earth native, he would reduce the human to a tiny size and then wipe its memory clean before returning it to normal (permanent harm to humans was not permitted under the agreement with Earth's superpowers). Xeeklon was also equipped with a personal cloaking device; this device was simply a badge with the insignia of his home planet, and when activated would render him invisible to the naked eye. Since no humans were detected within a great distance, Xeeklon left the cloak on his ship; confident the mass convertor would be adequate for any threat.

After wandering some time into the forest, Xeeklon became aware that there were more than sentient humans to worry about on this planet. The sound of insects and croaking amphibians was interrupted by the distant and faint sound of an unseen creature moving rapidly through the foliage. Xeeklon was a veteran anthropologist on many other worlds, but this was his first assignment to this planet. He had been informed the fauna of this region were generally harmless; nevertheless he turned and began heading toward his ship.

Within Xeeklon's chest, 3 hearts pounded in unison as the movement drew closer. Then at once he saw it! A large furry beast crept out of the foliage and began to snarl and growl as their eyes met. Xeeklon did his best to remain calm, as he reached for the mass converter. The predatory creature rushed at him.  Just in the nick of time a button was clicked, and a green field enveloped the creature, reducing it to a size that was smaller than the device itself.  With a high-pitched yelp, the tiny beast gave an about face and ran away from his towering boots. He watched in amusement as a nocturnal creature swooped from its perch and carried it off in its talons.

"It is a shame to lose such a rare specimen, but I'm sure I'll find othe..." Xeeklon was unable to finish, for at that moment more of the predatory quadrupeds appeared and rushed at him!

He ran for his ship, but the Earth creatures were too fast for his short legs. But he still had his device, and managed to fire it two more times before he was overtaken. The first shot was poorly aimed and hit a tree; the second shot found its mark and dwindled one of his oncoming foes. He would have fired again, but by now the creatures had him within their jaws.

On that night the creatures of the forest became silent, interrupted by an alien scream that they had never known. But the dying shriek was short-lived, and within a moment it was forgotten by primitive brains. Soon the night was once again filled with the usual cacophony of chirps, hoots, and croaks that had filled Earth's nocturnal forests for millennia.