- Text Size +

 

Crash-landing on the planet Asgard

   It all began when a strange visitor journeyed to Earth. She was a woman who only spoke fluent German and was no different than any other Earth woman of Northern European ancestry, with one major exception. It was obvious right from the start that the technology she had brought with her was far more advanced than anything we had on Earth, at least in the early 21st century. After being interviewed by the leaders of many countries at the United Nations building in New York, she admitted that she was from the 35th century. 

   She claimed that she had traveled back in time to prevent a calamity in our near future from taking place, and that she was introducing technology at an early enough era to prepare us for whatever terrifying future we had waiting for us. It turned out to be a lie. 

   She had made friends with the people of our world rather quickly, and she had voiced her true intentions to a few people among her inner circle of acquaintances, and they in turn informed the nations of the world. She was a Neo-Nazi from a parallel universe, from a version of Earth where the Nazis had emerged victorious from World War Two. She was trying to alter the history of the Earth in our universe, a history that would allow a Neo-Nazi empire to rise up and subdue the rest of humanity. 

   It seems that part of her plan involved shrinking all people of non-Northern European descent, so her Neo-Nazi collaborators could have an easy victory. She had placed miniaturization weapons in geosynchronous orbit miles above the Earth, and they were programmed to shrink only people that didn't have a marginal percentage of the chromosomes that the people of Northern Europe had, such as the DNA that dictate whether a person has blonde hair, red hair, blue, green, or grey eyes. 

   Ironically, it was the Germans who first decided to banish her from our world and stop her evil plan, and they spear-headed an effort to destroy the miniaturization weapons in orbit above the Earth. China, Russia, and the good old U.S. of A. joined in, and simultaneously launched nuclear missiles that destroyed most of the orbital miniaturization cannons. I was one of two astronauts chosen to go up in a space-shuttle to destroy the remaining satellites. My mission was to pilot a shuttle towards one of the satellites, and the other astronaut would use a rocket-pack to jet from the cargo bay of the shuttle to one of the satellites, and plant a bomb with a timer that was rigged to go off after he returned to the shuttle, then we would do the same to the other remaining satellites. It is sufficient to say that things definitely didn't go as planned. 



   When he tried to plant the bomb, a white light engulfed him, and after the light was gone, so was he. I tried to contact mission control, but something was interfering with my transmissions, and I couldn't receive any signals from them, either. I decided to try to nudge the satellite with the nose of the shuttle, to send it plummeting into the atmosphere, where it would burn up. As I piloted the shuttle closer, the same white light that swallowed up my partner also engulfed me. 

   Looking back, my guess is that some kind of an interdimensional vortex opened up and pulled my shuttle in. I tumbled through the vortex, and I heard the radio transmission of a message sent to the radio reciever in my helmet. The message was from the woman from the 35th century. She informed me that my world was one of many stops on her mission to alter history, and that she had already successfully altered the history of other Earths. She said that as punishment for trying to tamper with her miniaturization satellites, she was sending me to a parallel Earth where every atom of that alternate reality existed on a much larger scale than our own reality... she went on to say that she had altered the historical events on that world as far back as the 17th century, so that the Germanic race of that world remained the size of giants, but all other people had been miniaturized to a fraction of their former size. She assured me that they had successfully subdued their world and conquered all who opposed them, and that I would soon find myself under their dominion as well. 

   My space-shuttle emerged in orbit over a planet identical to Earth. There was a satellite in orbit above this world that was a duplicate of the one that brought me to this parallel universe. It must have been the other end of the dimensional gateway that brought me through the vortex. I tried to use the remaining fuel to steer towards the satellite, but it exploded right in front of my shuttle, and the impact of the blast sent my shuttle tumbling into the gravity well of the huge planet below. 

   The shuttle was entering the upper atmosphere at an incredible speed, and at a dangerous angle. The friction of the atmosphere was already sending an orange glow cascading across the 'windshield' of the shuttle, so it was too late to try to achieve a higher orbit. All I could do was prepare for a crash landing. 

   I came in too steep, so I pulled up on the throttle to pull out of the dive, but I was coming in too fast. I could see settlements below, so I tried to avoid them so I wouldn't injure anyone when I landed. I saw the reflection of water on a lake near a town, so I aimed for it. The ground came rushing up at me, and the shuttle splashed down into the lake. I unfastened my seatbelt and made my way to the door before the space-shuttle sank, and jumped in. 

   When I surfaced and swam to the shore, I saw that the woman from the future had been telling the truth. The lake I was in would rival Lake Michigan or Lake Superior. The only thing that indicated to me that this was not an ocean, was the fact that there were no waves breaking on the shore. The trees, the grass, the flying insects, and everything else was in massive proportion in comparison with me. I walked through the woods and explored the titanic wilderness of this strange parallel Earth. 

   The grass and shrubs to me were the size of huge trees, and the distance to the top of the actual trees of this world were at an elevation that boggled my mind. I just couldn't comprehend how a world this massive could exist, and yet I was stranded here, possibly for the rest of my life. It was unlikely that I could get the shuttle out of the deep lake, and even if I could refuel it and construct booster rockets, I knew it would be next to impossible to return through the interdimensional gateway I had passed through to arrive here. 

   I found a path that was at least two-hundred yards wide, and I followed it. There were footprints in the dirt that were at least sixty feet long and about fifteen or twenty feet wide. They were human footprints. As I got near the town that was not far from the lake, the dirt path gave way to a more formal road that was much wider and made up of gravel. The individual chunks of gravel that made up the road were like stepping stones, and I had to jump from one to another to stay on the road. Before I even saw the race of people who inhabited this strange world, I knew that they must be more massive than even the largest mammals of our own world. Even the blue whale, the largest creature on Earth, would be dwarfed by whoever had forged such a mighty road. 

   I saw smoke from a chimney. I scurried from the road and took cover in the brush between some trees, to spy out these people, so I could see who I was up against. As I peered between two colossal blades of grass, I saw a dwelling. Architecturally, it was identical to German or Dutch houses between the middle ages and the European Renaissance period, with the exception that it was bigger than the Oakland Coliseum. There was a well constructed of boulders in the old European tradition, with a wooden frame and roof, and a bucket attached to a shaft with a handle for drawing water. 

   A cobblestone walkway led from the main road to the front door of the house, and as I took all of this in, my eyes were drawn to a maiden sitting on a bench, using a wooden churn to make home-made butter. She was about 13 or 14 years old, and her clothing was very similar to the type worn by Dutch or German girls between 1600 and the nineteenth century, with a dress extending just below the knees, and a bodice strapped over her blouse. Her flaxen braids fell halfway to her waist, and on her head she wore the headpiece that I had seen Dutch girls wear in travel brochures and old issues of National Geographic magazine that I had read when I was a kid. 

   I was in a state of shock, and immediately crept back into the brush, for concealment. My heart was pumping with fear as I realized that from my estimate of the girl's size, these people were so huge that I must stand about one inch tall from their perspective. I looked back through the blades of grass to double-check if my estimation was correct, and she wasn't there. Her wooden butter churn had been set on the ground where she had been sitting, but the giantess was nowhere to be seen. I couldn't imagine how such a human colossus could move so quickly without making enough noise to alert me. 

   I turned and ran, afraid that she somehow knew I was there. I ran deeper into the woods, away from the main road, and it was then that I had my first encounter with the wildlife of this terrifying world. It was a gopher, peering out of the ground and sniffing at the air with its nose. It crawled out of its hole, and came toward me. It was as big as an elephant to me. I turned and ran the way I had come, and ended up right in front of the wooden butter churn. 


 
   The blonde giantess was still nowhere to be seen, but I marvelled at the size of the butter churn. It was like something that would be on exhibit at a carnival or a county fair. In my mind I could just picture a barker standing in front of a giant tent, trying to entice people into paying a ridiculous amount of money to see this 'eighth wonder of the world.' 

   I knew it wasn't safe to venture into the woods, and I didn't want to retrace my steps and return to the lake, so I decided to continue walking toward the town. As I hopped across the boulders that made up the giant-sized gravel of this giant road, the maiden returned. I looked back and saw her walking back to the butter churn, and we made eye contact. I stopped momentarily, paralyzed with fear as I saw her blue eyes widen in astonishment, then contract with determination as she dropped her butter churn and started in my direction. The chase was on. 

   I didn't even have time to reach the edge of the road before the blonde giantess closed the distance between the butter churn and where I stood. It was amazing that people this massive could travel with such exceptional speed. All I saw was the rush of her blue dress passing over me, and I found myself gripped inside of the girl's fist. I struggled at first, but my efforts were futile. Her strength was far superior to mine, so I just gave up. That is how I arrived on the world I refer to as the planet Asgard; no other metaphor was appropriate to describe this race of giants, because to me, they seemed to be like the race of gods and goddesses from Norse mythology that I had learned about in high school.