- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey! Yeah I know cringy description but I legit suck at writing descriptions, but thanks for checking my story out, I always wanted to mess around with a military theme so here it is. All feedback is appreciated and my grammer isnt the best, so if you catch any grammer or formatting mistakes make sure to give me an earful for that :).

Enjoy!

 

 

 

 

--- Chapter Zero: 12 Years ago ---

 

--- 0100, Shiva Isle: Operation Folklore ---

 

“What are we looking for eh? Just a big lad walking around?”

 

“It’s more complicated than that mate, we are on the lookout for experimental alpha class terrans or exo-terrans. Once we have our target we must either detain or neutralise the target.” I pull out a map, and figure out our location.

“We are currently at the north side of the island. Enemy LZ was located in the south around 1.5 clicks of our current location. Their objective is unknown but the insurgents in the local towns have notified us that they are on the lookout of a squad of the alphas.” 

 

“...Uh huh, so do we get to go hunting for some freaks or what.” Jones groaned and just continued walking through the forest behind us. 

 

Pvt Jones Larkins, Pvt Junior Harrison, Corporal Karl Mathews and myself, Lieutenant Terry Dickson have been tasked with hunting down Alpha task squads doing patrols on the island. The island is known to be patrolled by AAF forces who have enlisted super humans, aka Alpha class terrans as the new troop. 

 

These troopers are 8 foot - 11 foot tall, and have been reported to wield LMG’s and Anti-Matter rifles. While only occupying smaller AAF controlled islands like the Shiva Isle, owned by an independent government operating outside of the planet's main government system. We know nothing about these troopers, and no man has yet to survive a head on attack on one. But I’ll make a first for NATO forces and will hopefully return to my family. I jus-

 

“Oi Dicko, you wanna go for a drink once we kill these alpha dickheads eh?” Harrison spoke out while exiting the forested area, breaking my internal monolog. 

 

“Quiet Junior, we are approaching the main road!” I glared at him, and he shut up, raising his rifle towards the surrounding area, he hated being called Junior hehe. Shive Isle, or otherwise known as New Shiva Prime has been a prime target of oil companies for its luxurious amounts of oil fields, and has had war waged on it for about Seven years now. AAF forces have taken most of the island but our objective is to secure a small town in band with insurgent forces to establish a forward base. 

 

It's no surprise too, AAF has been cut on their oil as multiple companies pull out since the funding has trickled down, It has been an uphill battle for the AAF movement. I won’t lie, I don’t fight for the right side in question but I make it by. I just want what's best for my son. 

 

It had been some time, we had probably covered 500 meters going down the side of the road keeping a low profile. We would have to find a barn to rest for a bit to examine our routes into the city without running into any AAF squads. 

 

“Dickson, Two squads and an idle jeep 200 metres, Everyone got down” the words hollowed through me as I looked through my scope. 

 

“Two Experimental Alphas, the rest are just average joes with guns.” I replied back

 

“What weapons are they carrying?” Whispered Mathews, prone behind a bush trying to get a glimpse of the alphas. 

 

“Well, two LMG’s, but I’ve never heard of a squad not running with a-”

 

BANG

 

“ANTI-MATTER RIFLE RUN TO COVER!” I yelled, getting up and running, everyone except Harrison followed me. “WHERE IS HARRISON, WHEre the hell…” Looking back to Harrisons lifeless body, his whole chest had been vaporised by the Anti-matter rifle. They aren't using bullets. I continued to run next to the main road seeing if there was any cover. 

 

BANG

 

Another shot was heard, this time hitting the valley below us, he or she had missed. We were running to a derelict barn. That's when the storm of bullets started. LMG fire had started on us, we either had to hunker down, or just run for it. Mathews started returning fire, but was proven ineffective as the gunfire was not able to be seen. They were using bullets without tracers and muzzle flashes.

 

“ALMOST THERE” Yelled Larkins, we were almost there as soon as the sound of a jeep was coming around the road. “JEEP BEHIND US”. We had come to a part where a small hill that the road wrapped around covered our movements, the two alphas had to move up to see us. The jeep obviously was after our blood. 

 

“Wait for it, set up shop lets fire on this jeep.” I aimed my gun at the road, waiting for the looks of an open top jeep to trud along the beaten road. “Aim for either the driver, gunner, wheels or if available gas tank.”

 

“Lieutenant, I hear them!” We readied our guns and waited for the image of a jeep to come into sight, when the sound stopped. “What happened, are they coming for us? What’s going on?” Said Larkins he frantically looked around, only to meet a surprise behind us. 

 

An alpha appeared behind us, presumably female with a large hunting knife and silenced pistol, she quickly stabbed larkins in the upper chest, his body fell limp within seconds. Mathews tried to turn around to fire but he was shot swiftly in the head. 

 

“FUCK” Was all I was able to say as I turned around to return a few shots, she took a bullet to the arm and yelled some gibberish before dropping the pistol and charging me. I started running and jumped over a small stone wall dividing a field and a pasture. No sheep in sight but my eyes were set to make it to the forest to avoid anymore fire and the alpha behind me. 

 

She made ground quick, she will catch up to me if I don’t try something. I drop my rifle and my vest to get lighter, keeping my pistol and knife by my side. I run to the forest and dodge and weave around the trees to finally meet a large chain link fence, I make a 90 Degree turn and start running but something grabs me by the collar. I was tackled to the ground and had a knife put to my throat. “Who do you work for.” She said in a stone cold voice. She inched the knife closer to cutting my throat. 

 

“None of your business… ma’am” I give her a smirk as a brilliant idea comes into my head. 

 

She was about to push the knife closer to my throat, but I grabbed my knife, and sliced her arm, she started bleeding and let me go, I tried to get back up to start running but I got shot in the leg. She had pulled out an oversized pistol made specifically for alphas. I fell and tried to crawl away. This time she pulled my knife away and my pistol. She threw them away to tackle me again

 

“You fucking idiot, you will meet the demise of your friends now, with a nice and slow slice to the neck” She pulled the knife out again and now much faster than last time put it to my throat again. 


“Fuck… You” I was able to squeeze out before the cold steel was pushed into my throat. Pain was first felt, but then I couldn’t breath. “...Fuck….” I couldn’t say anything else as all my energy was gone. Memories flooded in of my son, my wife, my friends and my squadmates. I only wished to see my son one last time. A smile grew on my face as she got up, my eyes inching towards being shut.

 

A grunt was all I was able to put out, before finally… 



Silence. 





--- Chapter One: 12 Years after ---

 

--- 12 Years later, NATO Special Operations Training Facility Foxtrot ---

 

I made my way through the dorm. Phone in my hand looking at my timetable. Studies had finished and holidays were about to begin, I had a choice to start training for whatever I wanted. Techie, Engineer, Mechanic, Navy, Paratroop core, Troop core. I didn’t know what to do. My dad was apparently in an elite squad called Strike Team, a specialised team of alpha and beta troops. Now it’s reserved for special siege operations and other secret stuff that the big boss doesn't want to tell us. 

 

But today marked a special day. I had to pay someone a visit and make sure they are resting well. I made my way through the 3rd floor before taking the stairs to the 1st, and exiting the complex through the back door. The dirt path was smoothly maintained to the veterans memorial. 

 

The words Terry Dickson was plastered on a grave, with the words “Fought for pride and country. A loving family man” below his name. I left a small red poppy, in remembrance for him. Our Australian culture would always live through the Dickson name. I glance at my watch, 06:00AM it reads. Just in time. 

 

I stand quiet for 1 minute. I close my eyes and think about him in my life. Last time I saw him was when I was 3, almost 4. He kissed me on the head and said that they wanted him for one last mission. I didn’t know what that meant back then, I was just happy that Dad was there. 

 

A tear fell down my cheek. I tried to force the rest to stay inside as I painfully raised my hand, 06:04AM. Time flies doesn’t it, I turn to the entrance of the memorial but a familiar face stood there. 

 

“Where do you think you're going Ducky?” said a tall figure, at least 10 feet tall. It was Katelyn. I hated her, I have all my classes with her, all my studies with her and she has made my life miserable. One reason I hate this bloody place. 

 

“I went to pay respects to my father, it's that time of the year again.” I look at the ground, then back up at her. She was just smiling

 

“So not to smoke?” She got up from leaning against the entrance arch and walked towards me. “I’ve got some nice pot here and it seems like you're in the way Dickless”. 

 

“Just leave me be, at least toda-” I was shoved to the ground, she bumped into me while passing by me to the corner of the memorial where a thick layer of trees stood. I got up and let the rest of the tears out. I didn’t make a noise and returned to the dorms. I hated her, I hated everyone here. I was the kid that had no one to go home to during holiday break, no one to be proud of when I received medals. No one to love. 

 

My mom after learning my Dad died gave way, she raised me until 11, “losing” me at a busy park. When authorities couldn’t find my mom and made the conclusion that I was dumped I was put up for adoption until I was 13, when NATO hiring agents took me and plopped me into training as a soldier. I have no other choice. 

 

I’ve wanted to run away all my life here. I’m 16 and until i’m 30 I'm stuck in the military. I will probably kill myself until then anyways. I’ll never see my mum, my dad is dead and no one will ever love me. What a great life I'm living. 

 

Making my way back to my room, I put a thought to my head, my trial operations will be commencing this year and once I’m 21, it's straight to the real thing. I’ll do something bad, get a discharge and live my life as a normal person. The thought has been thrown around my head back and forth for ages now. I’ve never told anyone, because believe it or not I don’t have anyone to tell. I entered the back door and made my way to the stairs. 

 

I made it to my door, unlocked it and entered, remembering to lock it behind me. I throw my Phone, wallet and keys onto my desk and plop myself back into bed. This year would be an interesting year to say the least, and for sure will pack some surprises along the way that's for sure.

Chapter End Notes:

Anyways, Hope you enjoyed Chapter Zero and One, The story will start to really pick up soon so I hope you stay tuned for more. I'll try to keep up every week, with chapters being added every week on a weekend (This week is an exception as I'm busy this week)

Also if you have any suggestions about spacing of my paragraphs please let me know! I'm really self conscious about my spacing so any feedback on that would be nice.