- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Hi Everyone, So in the past I've done story exchanges but I wanted to try my hand at a longer type.  There will be quite a bit of variety and will try to give disclaimers in each chapter for what to expect.  

 

I hope you enjoy!

Author's Chapter Notes:

Introduction to main character Detective Brad Graves and the mysterious drug "SK"

Detective Brad Graves looked out of his office window.  It was pretty late already, everyone had already left for the day, but this wasn’t uncommon.  He worked hard, which meant working late and it was the reason why he was a Senior Detective at the age of 36.  Taking a sigh he turned around and looked at his office.  A pretty standard office, he couldn’t help but smirk looking at his wall with the accommodations and awards he’d received since joining the Narcotics team. The most prominent one being when he went undercover and was instrumental in the biggest drug bust in the city’s history.  It gave him a certain satisfaction knowing that whenever he took on a case he saw it through to the end.


Which is why his demeanor changed when he saw what was sitting on his desk.  The file that had been stumping him for months.  He almost chucked to himself.  “Maybe everyone’s right...just a wild goose chase…”  Sighing he reaches down into the bottom drawer of his desk and takes out a bottle of whiskey before pulling himself a drink.  Two fingers, Neat.  Just like always.  Taking a sip he felt the slight burn slide down into his stomach and looked down at the small piece of paper he had just received.  “Another dead end I’m sure…”  He said to no one.  It was just him there at his desk with this case labeled “SK”


It all started about 6 months ago for Brad.  Different informers had mentioned a new drug that was starting to appear.  The problem was that very little was known about it.  The only thing they knew was that people were trying something new.  Something strong.  And it was called “SK”.  Brad looked through the file.  Usually there would be dozens of sheets of testimonies and samples, but this file was pretty bare, more rumors and hearsay.  In fact several people, Brad included, thought that SK was just some silly urban legend spreading throughout the city.  Looking down at the notes he had made in the past...


****


  • Rumors are that “SK” experience for some is incredibly euphoric while some rumors say it’s the most destructive drug out there.  


  • Rumors indicate that “SK” is highly addictive.  That it “makes heroine look like candy”


  • Rumors indicate that the creator of “SK” is an individual who goes by “L”.  A “kingpin” who everyone is scared of and little is known about


  • No first hand accounts discovered


****


Brad just chuckled a bit.  It was easy to see why people thought this was bullshit.  A strange new drug that is both euphoric and terrible and more addictive than anything ever run by a notorious drug kingpin.  It sounded like the plot to a stupid action movie.  Especially because of that last note.  Although there had been rumors swirling about “SK” it wasn’t from anyone who had actually done it.  It was all just people saying things they heard others say or saw online...some said it was because this  “L” threatened anyone who talked about it.  So if anyone HAD actually done it...they weren’t talking.


Brad turned to the next page.  The page that made Brad think there was something to this urban legend.  It was about a month ago that it started.  A few people had started to go missing, now in a large city like this it wasn’t uncommon for things like this to happen, except it seemed that one thing connected them.  Whether it be that someone overheard something or small notes in a journal there was one thing in common, they all referenced “SK”.


Over the next month more of these popped up...about 10 that all referenced this mysterious drug...but there was something else they all had in common that concerned Brad.  In most drug cases like this it’s people with a history or background that get caught up in an issue with a cartel or drug dealer.  But all the missing persons in this case were random.  A wealthy investment banker, a young woman in college, A suburban couple...it just didn’t make sense.  The problem was that there still wasn’t any evidence that this drug even existed.  Every single time he thought he might have something it led to a dead-end...he was beginning to think that maybe it was just a coincidence...SK could stand for anything after all.  


“Could even be a gang...then I can get it the hell off my desk…”  Brad says looking at the crumpled up paper he had smoothed out.  It had been found in one of the missing person’s office trash.  You assumed it was nothing.  Your partner said it was probably just another stupid prank (you had gotten a lot of “false lead” pranks), but you looked down and saw the phone number with a set of instructions underneath.


  1.  When the phone is answered only say “SK”

  2. The passcode is 747465

  3. Listen to the instructions...DO NOT SPEAK!!!  No matter what, do not say anything!  It might take several minutes but it’s all a test to make sure you follow instructions.  Do not say a word until the phone is hung up!


Brad rolls his eyes and calls the number while starting to pack up his things to head home for the night.  He hears a click that the phone has been answered.  He takes a breath for a second.


“SK” He says and waits.  After a few seconds he hears a woman’s voice.


“Passcode”

“747465”  Brad says firmly and then waits.  He notices he’s actually sitting down now.  He still knew it could be some stupid prank...but still…


It had been about 12 minutes and Brad was still sitting there on the phone in silence looking at the clock.  “I can’t believe I fell for this...I’ll give it to 15 minutes and then I’m done…”  he thinks to himself when he hears the voice on the other line.


“Okay listen.  Follow these instructions exactly…”  The voice says and Brad realizes this is the break he’s been waiting for and starts writing everything down that he hears.


Brad hears the other end of the line go dead and he sets his phone down and breaths out a big sigh of relief.  He had his opening.  He gathered up the file and everything he needed.  He wouldn’t be back in this office for a while.  He was going back undercover...but he’d need a little help.  He picked his phone back up and headed out of the office as he called the person he knew he could trust.


“Karla?  Hey it’s Brad.  Look, I need your help.  You need to meet me at Archer Park tomorrow at 11:00 AM.  Yes, I know it’s your day off but I think I just caught our break for the “SK” case.  Yes I’m serious!  Look I’m on my way home okay, I’ll call you when I get home and go over the details…”  Brad says heading out of his office for the last time in a while.