- Text Size +

Thomas laid on his cot inside of his tent, staring blankly at the top of the tent. It was Thursday, two days since Carlos was captured and placed with the rest of the Refugees. In those two days, there had been no word from Bruce, but what else was new about that?

The day before, however, as Thomas laid in this same position, he managed to accomplish something.

Chapter 16: Entertainment

(The previous day.)

"Hey," said a voice from the entrance. "Are you up?"

Thomas, laying on his cot, turned his head towards the opening. Gloria was standing there, halfway inside.

"Yeah," he responded.

"You're not busy, are you?"

"Of course not. It's not like there's anything to do here." Thomas sighed. "I wish I had brought my DS with me. If I'd've known that I'd be stuck here for this long. Though I probably would have used the battery up by now..."

Gloria walked inside and sat beside him. "Listen... I know you're probably still mad at me, but we're stuck here with each other. So we're going to have to learn to get along."

"Mad? About before?" Thomas sat up and turned towards her. "I'm not sure why you started treating me like that especially since you're one of the few people here who didn't treat me like crap."

Gloria was silent for a few seconds, before she spoke. "Remember when I told you that I was a rebel?"

"Yeah."

"Well, that's not even the half of it. From just a few months after my family came to the U.S. to until a few years ago, I was in a gang."

Thomas' eyes widen. "Really?"

"Surprised?"

"Kinda."

"Anyway, I've been around many people, some who were, well, pretty close, who said that they'd be able to take on anything. And they said it with confidence, like they had faith that they'd be able to kill anyone. But when it came down to it, they ended up running away."

"Oh..."

"Running away like that is like a death sentence. Every single one of them is dead today. And when you ran from that centipede the other day, it reminded me too much of them. They were a disgrace to the gang, and I thought you were one to our little settlement."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. So, I tried to detach myself from you, and when you snapped at me, it made me want to forget about you even more. Though, deep down, I admired you for that."

"Wait, what?" Thomas leaned slightly forward and put his hands on his legs.

"I thought you were quiet, kinda geeky, and didn't really like to start fights."

"Well, that is true..."

"But when you finally had enough of my pestering, you let me know it. I started to once again rethink my opinion of you. And then we came back and found everyone gone."

"Let me guess... since we're the only ones here, you found it necessary to make peace with me."

"As I said when this conversation started. But it's not like that's the only reason. I... I just don't want you to feel... alone."

"I see..." Thomas laid back down, somewhat confused over Gloria's sudden softness. "To be honest, I never hated you. I usually keep my cool, but sometimes, I lose it. You, one of my only allies, started to ignore and berate me. Plus, I was tired from the walk, and a bit hot."

"...But this house has AC."

"I know, but still... I was just frustrated, and I vented. I'm sorry."

"Idiot..."Gloria shook her head. "I'm the one who should be apologizing."

She grabbed his right hand and grasped it between her hands. "Lo siento."

Thomas blinked, slightly blushing at the sight of his hand within her's. He also noticed that on her face was not the same harden expression he had known her for for quite some time, but a more kind one.

"Uhh... My Spanish sucks, but that means 'sorry,' right?" he asked.

"Yeah."

A smile appeared on Thomas' face. "I forgive you."

"Thank you." Gloria gave his hand a light squeeze before releasing it. "Though, what made you so afraid of centipedes?"

Thomas laughed. "It started when I was about... 5, I think. I was in my room, playing with my toys, and when I tipped over one of my toy-boxes, I saw this 'new' bug fall out along with my stuff. It was so scary to me back then. It seemed to have legs all around it, and it ran like the Roadrunner. It, for some reason, ran towards me. I screamed so loud, I swear you could hear it all down the street."

"They are kind of freaky-looking, huh?"

"Yeah. So, I'm trying to back away from it, and it crawls onto my leg. That didn't help my screaming, as I just became louder. I was able to kick it off, and I ran away to a wall, still yelling and stuff. Luckily, my mom came in and killed it. Ever since then, I've had a mild dislike of centipedes."

"I don't think 'mild' is the word." Gloria teased.

"Ha... yeah..."

The two said nothing for a few minutes. Thomas watched as Gloria looked around his small tent, watching nothing in particular.

"So..." Thomas said, breaking the silence. "What is it-"

"Let's go somewhere else," Gloria interrupted. "Somewhere bigger."

"Bigger? For what? And why?"

"You'll see when you get there. Actually, I wanted to see if you would still like me before I showed you this place."

Thomas stood up. "Well, it's not like I have anything better to do..."

~~~

Thomas and Gloria stood outside of Bruce's tent. Like Gloria said, it was a bit larger than the other ones, though still made of paper. It was also quite a ways away from the campsite, most likely to ensure Bruce some privacy.

"Bruce's place?" Thomas asked. "Why here? Won't we get in trouble? Or rather, won't I get in trouble?"

"Don't worry about that. C'mon." Gloria walked towards the tent's entrance.

Thomas hesitated for a moment. He did not want to face Bruce's wrath for entering without his permission. Of course, Gloria is leading him inside, and Bruce is pretty fond of her, so maybe Gloria would explain things to him if he returned while they were inside.

Thomas decided to put his faith in Gloria, and followed her.

As he entered, the tent became illuminated. A flashlight? No. Thomas saw Gloria's hand pulling away from a lamp. A lamp? What was a lamp doing in here? And that was not all. Near the lamp was a row of books. Thomas stepped closer to them, in disbelief, reading through the titles. Cosmos, Pride and Prejudice, When Genius Fails, and a 2007 edition of World Book, among others. Not only that, but instead of a make-shift cot made of shredded cloth and dust balls, there was a brown sleeping bag and a white pillow.

"What is all of this?" Thomas asked in a state of astonishment.

"They're books, genius," Gloria responded.

"I know that. But what are they doing in here? And that lamp and sleeping bag. Don't tell me that Bruce came to Melissa's house with all of that stuff..."

"Well, according to him, he found this stuff shrunken in the middle of the floor somewhere."

"...Like with the flashlights?"

"I guess."

"...And that doesn't sound odd to you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why would Melissa leave a 'pile' of things in the middle of the floor? From what I've seen, she seems to be pretty neat and tidy. I'd like to think that she'd move the stuff that she shrinks elsewhere."

Gloria pondered to herself. "Now that you mention it, I do think there's something wrong with all of this. Definately worth looking into."

"Yeah..." Thomas pulled out the book Cosmos and flipped it open to a random page as he sat on the floor near the lamp. On the page were several pictures of vibrant galaxies. "...Are these actual photos? ...No... They're paintings..."

"Hey," Gloria called to him after several minutes of silence. "Before we left, what did you want to ask me?"

"Hm?" Thomas looked up from the book. "Oh yeah... What's the deal between you and Bruce? Are you two like-"

"Bruce is just a guy who I... pleasure. Nothing more." She interrupted.

"Oh. But he seems to be so fond of you."

"He is. But those feelings aren't mutual."

"...Then why do you do... whatever you do with him?"

Gloria sighed. "I don't know. I guess I could have always just refused him. I doubt he'd make anything big of it."

"You did it because he's the 'leader'?" Thomas made quotation mark gestures with his fingers when he said "leader."

"Maybe. Like I said, I don't know."

"I'm sure there's a reason."

"I said that I don't know, so let's just drop it." Gloria became a bit agitated.

"Okay..." Thomas said before sighing, and turning his attention back to the book. He had angered her before, and he did not want to do it again. He flipped to the beginning of the book, and began reading it from the beginning. It was no game console, but at least he found something to keep him busy. Plus, he had always had an interest in astronomy.

~~~

The tent was silent for what seemed like an hour, aside from the occasional cough or other bodily noise. Both Thomas and Gloria were deeply immersed in their books. Thomas has no idea what book Gloria was reading, but as for himself, despite only being two chapters in (not counting the Introduction) and the contents being over 25 years old now, he found himself fascinated by Carl Sagan's analysis on the solar system, the galaxy, and extraterrestrial life. In fact, for that hour, he had completely forgotten that he was still inside of the walls of Melissa's house.

"You seem to be enjoying that book," Gloria finally said. "I haven't heard a word out of you in a while."

"I could say the same to you," Thomas replied, before looking up towards her. "What are you reading, anyway?"

"A Child Called 'It'. It's so horrible how the author was treated by his mother when he was a kid. She abused him to no end, and even had her other kids in on it. If I met this woman today, I'd kick her ass."

"Whoa... Sounds like a real... witch."

"'Witch'? Oh, come on! You're a grown man. You can cuss."

"Yeah, but I don't like to call women 'bitches,' no matter how bad they are. It's just the way I was raised."

"You're kidding."

"No. In fact, I've only called a woman a 'bitch' once."

"Really? Who was it?"

"...Melissa. When I was out there."

"What?! And she didn't grind you into the floor?!"

"Well... I said it under my breath, and since I was so small, there was no way she could have heard me."

"I see." She began to chuckle, which soon transformed into laughter.

"What's so funny?" Thomas asked, slightly annoyed.

"Oh, nothing," Gloria responded, wiping a tear from her eye with her index finger.

"Didn't sound like nothing."

"It's just... you're just an interesting person."

"Whatever." Thomas dropped his head down, back towards the book. Though it was odd seeing Gloria laugh like that. It was actually his first time seeing her laugh like that. Usually, she is stone-faced, her facial expression barely changing from the cold, and somewhat angry, one he had known her for all of this time. Though seeing her actually laugh was a good thing. He felt that she shouldn't close off her emotions from everyone else. She should just sit back, take a deep breath, and relax. Despite their current situation.

~~~

Thomas sat up on his cot, and reached for Cosmos. The day before, Gloria let him bring the book back to his tent, as well as two others. He was also given a flashlight, so that he could read in the seemingly perpetual darkness, only broken by the few flashlights that hung from the board above the campsite.

He still could not figure out how Bruce managed to get everything he had. The book, the lamp, the sleeping bag, and the flashlights. The idea of Melissa shrinking them, and leaving them laying around just seemed absurd.

Could it be that Bruce and Melissa were actually working together? That idea seemed absurd as well, but he could not think of any other explaination. After all, if they were working together, wouldn't have Bruce told her the whereabouts of her captives beforehand? No... It would make more sense to keep them contained in the same spot, so that they could not escape.

Suddenly, Thomas had a thought. Why was Bruce so reluctant to lead everyone out to safety before they were captured? Perhaps the two, in fact, were working together, and Bruce keeping the Refugees in one place serves as a way for Melissa to keep tabs on them. Also, why was Bruce spending so much time in the Lower Levels? What was down there for him? What were the Lower Levels?

So many questions, and he had no idea how or when they would be answered.

~~~

Melissa laid on her couch in the living room, her cell phone being held at her ear, barely paying attention to the nightly local news on the television.

"...And that's how my week's been so far," Melissa said. "I still have one more day of work this week. This job is killing me..."

"You're lucky you don't have my job," an older male voice said on the other line. "I only get 6 hours of sleep at the most. The rest of my day is spent in the lab."

"But I'd rather be in that lab with you than at that hellhole I work at. Speaking of which, any new projects?"

"Now you know that's confidential."

Melissa giggled. "That didn't stop you from sending the Shrink Ray over here."

"Yeah, I suppose. How is it working out for you?"

"Okay, I guess. I don't use it, though. At least, not on people."

"Of course not."

"So, tell me what you're working on now. Pleeeease?" She playfully begged.

The man sighed. "Let's just say that we're still working on size modifiers. That's all I'm telling you, missy."

"Aww... That's not fair."

"You're lucky I even told you that. You're just like your mother."

"Don't compare me to her." Melissa's tone became serious. "I'm nothing like her."

"Sure you are. You're just saying that because you're still bitter about her leaving."

"There more to it than that."

"Maybe. I can't say that I'm not angered over her leaving, but I can't hate her. After all, she gave me my Little Princess."

"...I'm 22 years old now. I think I'm far past the point of being little."

"To me, you'll always be my Little Princess."

"Oh, Dad..."

"I remember how your face would light up when I'd call you that, and you would run to me like a puppy running to its owner when he has food. Those were good days. You were such a cute girl back then, and you're a beautiful young woman now."

Melissa blushed. "Dad, stop!"

He laughed. "Well, I think it's time for me to get back in there."

"Aww... Already?"

"What do you mean, 'already'? This is how long we usually talk. Anyway, I'll talk to you real soon, Princess. I love you."

"Love you too, Dad. Bye."

A click was heard on the other line, and Melissa closed the phone. She sighed and turned her head towards the television.

"...Still no word yet on the whereabouts of 24-year-old Tyler Johans, who has been missing since June 28," the female reporter said. "His mother is pleading with anyone with any information to come forward."

The report cut to a taping of a press conference. A distraught woman who appeared to be in her late 40s or early 50s was speaking to the media. "Please! I just want my son back! If you know anything about where he is, tell me. Please!"

A photo of Tyler was then shown, and the female reporter spoke again. "Tyler is the latest in a string of mysterious disappearances of young adults ranging from ages 18 to 26. Detectives have no lead-"

The TV was flipped off. Melissa set the remote back on the table and rose from the couch. She let out a few laughs as she walked upstairs to her room.

~~~

Thomas was reading the final few pages of Cosmos. It took him two days to finish the book, though he thoroughly enjoyed reading the material, no matter how outdated some of it was now.

"Hey."

Thomas looked towards the entrance of his tent, and saw Gloria standing there.

"Hey, Gloria," Thomas said. "What's up?"

"Let's go."

"'Go'? Go where?"

"The Lower Levels. We're going to see what exactly is down there."

Thomas put the book on the floor, and stood up. "What? Is that safe?"

"Worried about Melissa? Don't worry. It's Friday. She's too tired from her job to do anything to us. She'll be out all night."

"I... see..."

"Don't you want to see what is keeping Bruce's attention? I know I do, and now that we're the only ones left, I feel that it's time for a confrontation."

"I see what you mean. In fact, I sort of have a feeling that he and Melissa may be working together."

"Really? That's... a possibility. Or maybe there's a nice doll house down there." Gloria joked.

"Doll house? I doubt it." Thomas chuckled. "But I guess it wouldn't hurt to see."

"Yeah. Let's go. Melissa may be out for the night, but if we stay here talking, it'll be morning before we know it." Gloria then walked out of the tent.

Thomas grabbed the flashlight near his cot, and followed her outside.

~~~

"I wonder what Thomas and Gloria are up to," Carlos said as he sat against the glass wall. "The two weren't exactly on good terms with each other when I left."

"Really?" Shawn, who sat beside him, said. "It's weird to think that one of the few people who cared about Thomas hates him now."

"Well, I wouldn't say hate. I think they were going to try to make up with each other."

"That's good. It's a shame that they can't get us out of here. Melissa just had to move this cage."

"Tell me about it. I actually miss my tent. At least I didn't have to sleep on a cold, hard glass floor."

"Yeah." Shawn looked forward, and saw Dawson walking after Jenna. "Hey, look. He's at it again."

"What? He must really love her or something."

"I think we all know what he loves."

Jenna, finally annoyed at the tagging Dawson, stopped walking and turned around to confront him. Shawn sighed and stood up, and then walked over to the duo.

"Please? Can't I just have a little touch?" Dawson begged.

"No!" Jenna furiously responded. "I'm tired of you playing with my feet! I don't even like my feet!"

Dawson sighed. "Why do all girls say that? They say that they hate their feet, but then they go out and get pedicures and wear flip-flops. I don't understand it at all."

"I don't know about the rest of those girls, but I hate those girly shoes!" Jenna stated.

"Aww... Don't be like that. You have wonderful feet. It'd be a shame for you to hide them from the world." Dawson then began to reach for her foot. He was met with a swift kick to the face by the very same foot he was going for. He was knocked down on the floor on his behind.

"See? That wasn't so hard," Dawson said as he wiped some saliva from his lips. "Now, do it again."

"Augh!" Jenna exclaimed.

"That's enough," Shawn said. "Dawson, stop following her. It's obvious that she doesn't want to be around you right now. You're acting like a stalker."

"C'mon, man!" Dawson stood up. "I know that, deep down, she's actually enjoying my company."

"Good grief." Shawn placed his palm on his forehead. "I'd hate to see how you were like before you came here."

"I was actually pretty... normal. But I was a sight pleaser. Since this is SoCal, I see a lot of cute girls in flip-flops and sandals year around. I'd often fantasize about being bug-sized and in the pathway of those girls. I'd try my hardest to dodge their steps, but eventually, I'd be squashed."

"If I ever found you bug-sized in my life," Jenna said, "I'd crush you so fast that you wouldn't have time to enjoy your fetish."

Dawson laughed. "See! I told you that you'd make a great giantess! Now, would you do it barefoot or with shoes?"

"Ugh!" An annoyed Jenna turned around and stormed away from the two men.

"Wait! Come back!" Dawson prepared to run after her, but was stopped by Shawn's hand on his shoulder.

"Just let her go for now," Shawn said.

"Damn," Dawson said. "Is she PMSing or something?"

"...You just don't get it."

~~~

"I think this is as low as we can go," Gloria said as Thomas slid down a string tied to a board on the floor above.

The two had been walking for what seemed like hours. Thomas's legs were tired, and he was breathing heavily. He wish that he had something to drink. He could not imagine what it would be like to climb back up to the campsite. No wonder Bruce stayed down here so long.

"Are you alright?" Gloria asked, noticing Thomas's fatigue. "You don't look so good."

"I'm fine," Thomas said. "Hopefully there'll be some water down here or something."

"...You better cross your fingers then."

They began to walk down the dark hall, shining their flashlights forward. They were surprised to see an opening not far from the string they had came down. An opening that has a somewhat dim light shining through.

"Well, here it is," Gloria said, shutting off her flashlight. "The Lower Levels. Or rather, the basement."

Thomas took a deep breath, and shut his off as well. "I'm ready. Let's go through there."

They walked out from inside the wall through the opening. As Gloria said, it was indeed the basement. A rather large basement, though also somewhat empty. The floor was covered with a beige carpet, and there were shelves in the distance filled with toolboxes and other gadgets. The place was illuminated by a light on the ceiling that was, for some reason switched on. Though dust settling inside of the glass covering seemed to block out some of the light.

"This is a nice basement," Thomas said. "I wish I had one this nice at my apartment. I wish I had a basement, period."

"Hey, Thomas," Gloria said, pointing to their right. "Look over there."

"Hm?" Thomas turned his head to where Gloria was pointing. There was a two-story dollhouse, not too far from where they stood.

"Looks like I was right," Gloria said. "Now, let's see if you're right as well."

They began to walk to the dollhouse. As they got closer, Thomas could make out the pastel plastic walls and the lavender roof on the house. He could also make out what looked like a large battery on the side of it. What kind of dollhouse was this? Thomas had not known any dollhouses that used a battery as big as the one he saw. As they got nearer still, he could also hear faint voices from inside. Wait, voices? Were there more people inside besides Bruce? What exactly is going on here?

Finally, they stood in front of the door. Thomas turned to Gloria, who gave him a nod. Thomas gulped and reached for the plastic doorknob. However, just as he was about to grab it, the door opened. Thomas soon found himself face-to-face with Bruce, who was surprised, and possibly a bit agitated, that both of them had discovered his secret.

"What are you two doing down here?" Bruce calmly, but crudely, asked.

"I knew it!" Thomas said. "I knew you were working with Melissa!"

Bruce's eyes widened. "What are you-"

"Bruce, who is it?" A female voice asked. The voice's owner soon appeared behind Bruce: a middle-aged, dark-skinned woman. She gasped as she placed her hand over her mouth. "Oh, dear..."

"Umm... Excuse me, ma'am," Gloria said, "but who are you?"

Bruce and the woman looked at each other, before she stepped closer to the door.

"My name is Claudia. And I'm... Melissa's mother."

 

[End Chapter]