- Text Size +
I remember the feeling of doughy skin compressing me, shoving me, as though I was being forced into a soggy, sticky coffin. The sour, salty taste of sweat was on the air itself, what little there was. There was a sudden jerk, and the masses of flesh containing me lifted. Like a piece of driftwood on a stormy sea, I was pulled with the vile liquid right beneath the ridges of one of the monstrosities. Then, as quickly as they'd lifted, the masses of skin and meat descended. I felt nothing as I was crushed beneath the enormous pads. There was only darkness, and a distant feminine voice; "Damn it, I felt him squish. I was hoping he'd last a little longer."

After that, there was silence. Silence and darkness. No more pressure, no more sweat, no more unfathomable movements that threw my meek, soggy world into chaos. How long this lasted, I do not know. I felt like I was floating half-asleep on a lazily flowing river. Eventually, I began to feel again. Heat came and went, as did the vague impressions of movement and mass. Dull sounds tickled my ears, but they were never clear enough to make out. Finally, I began to smell that all-too familiar stench of sweat, sometimes a background aroma too light to note, sometimes intense enough to draw up memories of the last sensations of my fully conscious mind.

And then suddenly, I was fully awake.

Though I could see nothing, my thoughts came clearly and my other senses seemed to be in working order. I felt the smooth floor, seemingly covered by a thin, frayed cloth. I heard a faint music, though I couldn't pinpoint the source or the style. I was almost comforted, except for what my final sense beheld: dirt, salt, staleness, vinegar... the scent of a worn shoe.

As if to confirm my suspicion, at that moment I felt a distant thundering; punctuated rumbles that grew in volume and weight. A part of the sky swung back, blinding me with morning light. When my vision returned, pure fear twisted my stomach into a knot.

Platinum-dyed hair flowed to her shoulders in gentle rivulets, combining with the natural light to give her a deifying radiance despite her expression of boredom. Adding to this were her sharp-but-gently-curving nose and chin, as well as her eyes of pure sapphire. A long, athletic body sprung from her thin neck, clad in tight clothing for comfort and maneuverability.

It was she that had plucked me from that infernal cage and purchased me like one would an expensive dog. It was she that had humiliated me, tortured me, stuffed me in places pleasant for her but much less so for me. It was she that had kept me in the jar on her dresser, left alone to ponder and fret until required for one of her sadistic notions. And finally, it was she that had tossed me into her running shoe and caused my last sensations to be of hellish pressure, sweat, stench, and pain.

She looked at me, but no recognition crossed her face. Instead, a lifted foot, covered in the fabric of a low-cut sock, replaced her gaze. It bent and descended, and I knew my fate was sealed once again.
Chapter End Notes:
A short story for the weekend. Next part tomorrow.