- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Now to introduce the REAL main characters of this story! Just a short introduction chapter with setups for what's to come...

“Turn right here on Jett. His house sits on the side of this mountain.” Lou was trying to point out the silhouette in the distance, but the rain was in such an uproar that nothing could be seen beyond the headlights. His friend Arnold was hunched over the wheel, with hairy, grizzly arms locked at the 10 and 2 position while he sucked his teeth.

“Lou, what the hell are we doing?” he said. “Did he get back to you?”

“Nothing yet.”

“He’s probably not even home,” said the tall, skinny Ecuadorian sitting right behind Lou. His name was Emilio, and his paranoia was as annoying as ever.  “We shouldn’t be wasting our time out here. I’m looking up the nearest bar.”

“You should because that’s where we’re going after picking him up.” Lou checked his phone. Still no reply. It wasn’t like Tito to miss a text. The guy was incredibly smart and successful, but deep down, he was a reclusive hermit wearing fancy outfits. He’s known him and Amanda since college, so if there was any sudden change in becoming this extrovert, he would’ve known.

“Maybe they’re out at dinner or something,” said Garrett, the short, black-haired friend who sat in the middle. He didn’t care much to change out of his baggy jeans and sandals, despite the heavy rainfall.

“I don’t even know this guy,” laughed Wes, the last remaining guy in the car watching the rain droplets slide down his seat window. “Lou, you said he’s some farmer?”

“He helps farmers.” Lou corrected. “Back in college, he created this crazy chemical solution that shrinks things when touched. He wanted to find a way to feed world hunger and gave his serum to these farming scientists who are using it to create enormous fields that can fit the size of a regular desk table.

“So there are people out there eating mini carrots?” Garrett said. “That’s a little whack.”

“He also created the cure for the shrinking, so when they transport the unlimited amount of vegetables and goods, they turn it back to normal size. He won the Nobel Peace Prize for it.”

 “Sounds like a real Ghandi.” Wes said. “How’s his wife?”

“She’s nice.” Lou said, wondering if that question was too weird or not. “He’s got a daughter, too. Her name’s Gina, and she’s real mature for her age.” He suddenly fell into deep thought about the little girl he watched grow up. She was 16 now and just joined the track team. He remembered their frequent park races in the past, and it brought some joy in his face that she’s grown to craft that source of happiness into a talent.

“Hey, keep telling me where to go.” Arnold said. “If I have to make a U-turn because yo—”

“That house right there.” Lou pointed at the two-floored home constructed of sturdy, brick walls and hedges lining the driveway. Arnold parked his aged Toyota behind a Kia and turned off the lights, letting the weight of the weather really sink in.

“Call him.” He said.

Lou was already one step ahead of him but was disappointed to be getting Tito’s voicemail. “He’s not answering, but that’s his car right there.”

“So, what? We’re just going to wait?” Garrett dropped his head back in annoyance. “Come on, man…I’m not trying to stay out all night.”

“What else you got planned tonight?”

“Jerk off. Eat this Lasagna from Olive Garden I had saved since yesterday.”

“Wow.” Lou looked through the window and scouted the house. All the lights were off, except for the lit room on the top-right. That was Tito’s room. The smartest thing to do was ring the doorbell, but since it was his birthday, Lou decided that he’d surprise his friend. “Let’s go.”

“Go?” Arnold said. “What the fuck? Where are we going?”

“Just shut up and follow me!” Lou prepared himself and raised his shoulders against the pouring rain. The rest of the group complained and followed their friend out, quickly rushing through the damp lawn and around the corner until they stopped at a side door with no overhang. The other side was lit but blocked by short, white curtains. Lou took a hidden key from under a potted plant and unlocked the door, bringing everyone inside.

Soaked and shaking cold, the group was standing in a kitchen colored with silver and chrome. There was a large granite counter with an assortment of cereal boxes, herb-filled jars, and a glass of water sitting near the corner. To their left was the door leading to the basement, and it was dark and wide open.

 “This feels like straight-up trespassing.” Emilio said. “Are you sure this is cool?”

“Of course.” Lou reassured. He’s done this countless times in the past, and the only time it became a problem was when he beat Tito home one day and had to explain himself to his prude maid Colleen. She was an oval-shaped, 51-year-old Dominican who acted too motherly for anyone’s comfort. She didn’t like Lou; she thought of him as a moocher who was no good for Tito. Maybe if they were six, it might have mattered, but she’s literally no one to him other than the meddlesome help who probably stolen some jewels while the owners were away.

“What now?” Arnold said. “I’m cold, man.”

“Grab a paper and dry yourself up.” Lou pointed towards the roll of paper towels on the counter, and Arnold and Emilio swarmed like flies. Garrett and Wes were looking at the interior design, peeking their heads into the next room.

“Living room?” Wes asked.

Lou nodded. “Maybe it would be cool if we just all sat on the couch and waited for the next person to walk by and surprise them.”

“Wait, why’s the ceiling leaking green?” Emilio pointed up at the sudden sprinklers that felt irrelevant until now. A light emerald-green shower began to drip over the bodies of these five damp intruders and seep through their invisible pores. Lou felt all the hair on his skin tingle with an uncomfortable pinching sensation. The counter he was standing close to was escalating like a skyscraper, and he felt like his was witnessing the world from a boy’s perspective. His arms jumped on the counter in order to keep his height from diminishing any further.

“Quick! Grab onto the counter!”

“What the hell?” Arnold threw a quick bitch-fit before following Lou and Emilio and lying his thick arms on the counter. Lou felt his legs flying meters off the ground and joining him on the edge of the counter. Pretty soon, the soles of his feet dangled, and if he didn’t climb on top, he surely would have fallen towards an inescapable death.

 “Help!” Arnold yelled. Lou looked at the big man losing his grip and rushed to pull him up. The two of them then rescued a squeaky Emilio who couldn’t stop shaking after sitting against a massive box of Frosted Flakes. Lou raced over the edge, looking for the other two friends who didn’t manage to grab the counter in time. The kitchen tile expanded for miles, and he was at such a height that couldn’t distinguish the different between man and dirt.

“Garrett!” Lou shouted. “Wes!” His eyes raced up and down each tile until they connected with specks that looked like they were waving at him.

“Lou.” Lou turned his head back to receive a nasty right hook from Arnold’s meaty fist. He would have fell off the counter if it wasn’t for Arnold catching him by the collar of his brown leather jacket and strangling him. “What the fuck is all this?! Why are we small?!”

“I don’t know!” Lou yelled, and Arnold threaten him with a loosened grip. Lou pushed him off and caught his breath in peace. “Fuck, man, are you trying to kill me?”

“Look at me!” Arnold gauged himself with the tip of his finger. “I’m no bigger than a goddamn flea!”

“How the hell was I supposed to know?”

“You fucking been here before!”

“Well, I didn’t know he even had this installed. I don’t even know why—”

“Guys…” Emilio whimpered. His shaking finger was pointing at the basement door and the titanic beauty that emerged up those creaking stairs. Lou recognized Amanda fast by her curvy figure, but the black was new. He never pinned her for a goth, but he she was, standing 100 feet tall in a skimpy, black bra and panty with her brown hair drooping over her shoulders. Seeing her like this…no. Lou dismissed his thoughts and ran towards the glass of water she was reaching.

“Amanda!” he yelled. “It’s me, Lou! I’m down here!” The glass was very far, and his tiny legs and voice weren’t enough to reach her attention. She mindlessly grabbed the glass and continued towards the living room. She was probably heading to her bedroom on the second floor, which might have been where Tito was right now.

“I sure hope ten minutes was enough…” Amanda sighed. “I’d hate to fish him out of the toilet.”

Lou continued to run after her, realizing that two of his friends were still on the ground and in the way of this giantess’ path. He ran along the edge, watching her big, black-nailed feet slap the tiles with her heavy stomps. He just wanted to surprise his friend. Was that too much to ask?

“Ew.” Amanda groaned as her right foot stepped in a small rain puddle. “Did someone seriously leave the door open out here? Gross!” She slammed her thick sole on the nearby doormat and grind it deep against the fibers. Lou fell into a state of shock watching one of his oldest friends mercilessly rub her foot down, hoping that there wouldn’t be any blood stains when he went down to check.

She finished up and walked around the puddle on her way out. She flipped a switch on the wall and the kitchen lights disappeared. The only light pouring in was a warm, orange glow coming from the living room’s fake fireplace.

“Garrett! Wes!” Lou yelled at the puddle, then at the doormat, but he didn’t hear a single sound from either of those spots.

“Down here!” Garrett shouted. Right underneath him, Lou looked down and could see moving specks with the help of the fireplace. “We moved before she could step on us.”

“Lou, that’s his wife?” Wes said. “Dude, she’s hot!”

Thank god, Lou thought. A wave of internal relief rushed to his head. He was glad to know that his buddies were still in one piece, but now came the question of what to do next. He looked back at Arnold, who was sitting next to Emilio looking bored and upset.

“We’ll get out of this.” Lou said.

“How?” Arnold said. “We saw you try and get her attention, but she just didn’t bother.”

“We still have our phones, right?”

“D-Dead.” Emilio said in a stutter, cradling the lifeless Galaxy in the palm of his hand. “It was at 87 percent, but now it won’t even turn on…” He looked at Lou with a grave face. “Are we going to die?”

“Hey, stop that shit!” Arnold smacked him on the arm. “We’re not going to die. Not before I kill Lou first for bringing us here.”

“No one’s going to die here.” Lou said. “We just need to wait for the next person to come into this kitchen.” He was silently praying that Colleen wouldn’t be it. “Let’s try and find a way down to regroup.” He raced over to the edge again and looked down, but the specks he remembered seeing were no longer there. “Guys?”

“What happened now?” Arnold groaned.

“Not you. Garrett and Wes. Guys!” Lou shouted at the floor. “Garrett? Wes?” He continued to yell their names, but they didn’t respond, and it raised his worries once more. “What the hell? They were just there!”

“Oh god, they’re dead!” Emilio cried.

“Jesus, no ones dead!” Arnold snapped. “Stop fucking crying. You’re a guy. Guys don’t fucking cry!”

“We need to find a way down now.” Lou said. “Come on, get up!” Arnold and Emilio stood on their feet and helped Lou search in the dark. What exactly were they looking for? He didn’t know, but it was better than sitting around bitching and crying. Two of his friends were alone in a house they’ve never been in. Who knows what could happen?

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy this chapter! Now the fun really begins!